Topics

You Didn't Actually Mean That Whole MindHealer Thing? Attn N'shen

Laura Walker

 Your character wakes up and feels like it’s a new day for something. Is it a good new day or a bad new day? What happens?

He'd had a good feeling about this appointment, a hopeful feeling, a 'yes, this is it' feeling. And now Bl'by was sitting, wrist obligingly held out, and watching Cremsden take his pulse.

"Hmmph." Cremsden said, and it was a thinking noise, a verbal hold as he charted up Bl'by's figures, taking a moment to note the direction of travel before he moved to listen to the bluerider's chest. "Yes," he said a moment later, mostly to himself. "That's--yes."

Bl'by sat very still, watching him, barely daring to breathe, twitchy with hope.

"You know you'll drive your pulse rate up if you don't relax," Cremsden said conversationally. "Cough, please."

A cough, and then another and Cremsden nodded to himself. "Well. I think we can rule out too much of a risk with scarring," he said. "That's been sounding better for a couple of sevendays now. Really didn't like the cold it seems. The question is how it's going to sound when you're in the air again -- hm." He reviewed his numbers again; carefully, quietly and thoroughly and finally nodded again.

"If your Wingleader will allow you up for drills, I will write a report saying that I would advise a trial period," he said. "We'll give it a few sevendays, see how that works and then assess again for Fall."

****

An hour later Bl'by was on his way to N'shen's office, a spring in his step and the promised report tucked under one arm. There was only a slight marring to his pleasure, the vague buried memory that N'shen had once said something about this being conditional on mindjealing. But-- he hadn't, surely, meant it. Or if he had, perhaps, he might have changed his mind. Bl'by had been so calm and settled lately that it couldn't, surely, count against him.

Could it?

Aaron

An hour later Bl'by was on his way to N'shen's office, a spring in his step and the promised report tucked under one arm. There was only a slight marring to his pleasure, the vague buried memory that N'shen had once said something about this being conditional on mindjealing. But-- he hadn't, surely, meant it. Or if he had, perhaps, he might have changed his mind. Bl'by had been so calm and settled lately that it couldn't, surely, count against him.

Could it?

N'shen scowled as he sat at his desk, writing. He was working as best he could to compile all of the interviews he had conducted into something resembling an actual report. And to figure out where in the world he could take his search next.

Laura Walker

It wasn't unusual for Bl'by to knock and step in now. It might mean anything from a visitor outside to checking if N'shen needed a drink or food sending up, but he was at least a little less shy about it now than he had been. Today he was looking like a man who was struggling to keep a dignified expression in front of his Weyrleader, as though an enormous grin was wanting to come bursting out but he was trying to stifle it.

He saluted politely, still formal even after this long. "Have my report back from the Healer, sir."

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 1:47 AM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
An hour later Bl'by was on his way to N'shen's office, a spring in his step and the promised report tucked under one arm. There was only a slight marring to his pleasure, the vague buried memory that N'shen had once said something about this being conditional on mindjealing. But-- he hadn't, surely, meant it. Or if he had, perhaps, he might have changed his mind. Bl'by had been so calm and settled lately that it couldn't, surely, count against him.

Could it?

N'shen scowled as he sat at his desk, writing. He was working as best he could to compile all of the interviews he had conducted into something resembling an actual report. And to figure out where in the world he could take his search next.

Aaron

He saluted politely, still formal even after this long. "Have my report back from the Healer, sir."

N'shen forced his scowl away long enough for a genuine smile to take over.

"I take it it's good news," he said. "You seem more excited than I've ever seen you."

Laura Walker

The grin escaped just a little bit, unable to completely suppress it. "He says he can recommend me going back to drills for a few sevendays, sir." /And be a proper rider again,/ he didn't add out loud. To someone who had most of their personal worth tangled up with flying well being grounded had felt very hard indeed. "Reassess after that, see if I could do Fall."

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 2:25 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:

He saluted politely, still formal even after this long. "Have my report back from the Healer, sir."

N'shen forced his scowl away long enough for a genuine smile to take over.

"I take it it's good news," he said. "You seem more excited than I've ever seen you."

Aaron

The grin escaped just a little bit, unable to completely suppress it. "He says he can recommend me going back to drills for a few sevendays, sir." /And be a proper rider again,/ he didn't add out loud. To someone who had most of their personal worth tangled up with flying well being grounded had felt very hard indeed. "Reassess after that, see if I could do Fall."

"That's great news!" N'shen confirmed. With Truenoth blinded and grounded, N'shen understood better than ever what Bl'by was feeling. "I take it you've got as good a report from your Mindhealer?"

Laura Walker

The smile faltered a little. Bl'by hadn't forgotten precisely about the MindHealer. He had just been hoping N'shen had. "I--well-- uh--"

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 4:57 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
The grin escaped just a little bit, unable to completely suppress it. "He says he can recommend me going back to drills for a few sevendays, sir." /And be a proper rider again,/ he didn't add out loud. To someone who had most of their personal worth tangled up with flying well being grounded had felt very hard indeed. "Reassess after that, see if I could do Fall."

"That's great news!" N'shen confirmed. With Truenoth blinded and grounded, N'shen understood better than ever what Bl'by was feeling. "I take it you've got as good a report from your Mindhealer?"

Aaron

The smile faltered a little. Bl'by hadn't forgotten precisely about the MindHealer. He had just been hoping N'shen had. "I--well-- uh--"

"Yes?" N'shen asked. "Are you having trouble with your sessions?" He sat forward, concern showing on his face.

Laura Walker

The temptation to lie was tremendous. Just say they were happening, get the sign off, get back in the air. But, even jumpy around authority as Bl'by was, he never had been a good liar. Indeed, his life might have been a lot easier if he had been. He went red. He had been doing far better at not avoiding N'shen's gaze lately, but now his gaze went scuttering down to the floor.

"I-- hadn't actually got around to scheduling them sir," he admitted in a low voice.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
The smile faltered a little. Bl'by hadn't forgotten precisely about the MindHealer. He had just been hoping N'shen had. "I--well-- uh--"

"Yes?" N'shen asked. "Are you having trouble with your sessions?" He sat forward, concern showing on his face.

Aaron

"I-- hadn't actually got around to scheduling them sir," he admitted in a low voice.

"I see." N'shen was a bit frustrated, but he was determined not to take it out on Bl'by. With as much other things as he had on his mind, he did not want to come down harder on Bl'by than he deserved.

"Well, you're halfway to back in the air, then."

Laura Walker

Bl'by looked abashed. With anything else he would likely have slunk away and dropped the matter entirely. But this was important.

"Sir," he said cautiously, carefully, a man treading warily on very thin ice. "You did say I needed that to be back in Fall, not back in drills."

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 8:40 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:

"I-- hadn't actually got around to scheduling them sir," he admitted in a low voice.

"I see." N'shen was a bit frustrated, but he was determined not to take it out on Bl'by. With as much other things as he had on his mind, he did not want to come down harder on Bl'by than he deserved.

"Well, you're halfway to back in the air, then."

Aaron

Bl'by looked abashed. With anything else he would likely have slunk away and dropped the matter entirely. But this was important.

"Sir," he said cautiously, carefully, a man treading warily on very thin ice. "You did say I needed that to be back in Fall, not back in drills."

"Get your sessions on the schedule, let me know who you'll be talking to and when, and then you can return to drills in accordance with the Healers' note," N'shen conceded.

Laura Walker

As he'd actually been expecting to be turned down flat, this was far more than Bl'by had been hoping for. The smile returned, if a little more reserved than before. "I can?"

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 10:01 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
Bl'by looked abashed. With anything else he would likely have slunk away and dropped the matter entirely. But this was important.

"Sir," he said cautiously, carefully, a man treading warily on very thin ice. "You did say I needed that to be back in Fall, not back in drills."

"Get your sessions on the schedule, let me know who you'll be talking to and when, and then you can return to drills in accordance with the Healers' note," N'shen conceded.

Aaron

As he'd actually been expecting to be turned down flat, this was far more than Bl'by had been hoping for. The smile returned, if a little more reserved than before. "I can?"

"You can," N'shen confirmed. He had to admit, seeing Bl'by happy – even reservedly so – worked wonders for his own outlook.

Laura Walker

Bl'by breathed in sharply, like a man experiencing a shock -- a good shock, the best shock but still a shock. They were going to get to fly again. Yes, there was some bother about mindhealers but right now that felt far more doable knowing that in just a short time they could be in the air performing their best. "Thank you, sir," he said fervently, and the grin came back full-force however he might try to stifle it.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 10:32 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
As he'd actually been expecting to be turned down flat, this was far more than Bl'by had been hoping for. The smile returned, if a little more reserved than before. "I can?"

"You can," N'shen confirmed. He had to admit, seeing Bl'by happy – even reservedly so – worked wonders for his own outlook.

Aaron

Bl'by breathed in sharply, like a man experiencing a shock -- a good shock, the best shock but still a shock. They were going to get to fly again. Yes, there was some bother about mindhealers but right now that felt far more doable knowing that in just a short time they could be in the air performing their best. "Thank you, sir," he said fervently, and the grin came back full-force however he might try to stifle it.

N'shen could not help but smile back. It was a deep breath of fresh air to see Bl'by so happy.

"It's been a pleasure working with you. I don't suppose you'll have any time left for me, will you?"

Laura Walker

"Sir, if you let me back into the air, I'd-- I'd pretty much work for you any time you liked!" A little over-enthusiastic perhaps but right now Bl'by was floating on a cloud of ecstatic relief. They were going to get to be a proper dragonpair again, and offered that no gratitude felt too much.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:11 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
[...]

N'shen chuckled and nodded.

"All right," he agreed. "Then as soon as you've got your mindhealing sessions scheduled, I'll confer with R'tal and our wingleaders, get you assigned to a wing, and I'll see you back when you're done with your first drills."

Laura Walker

"Sir, am I not going to stay in your-- oh." Belatedly, Bl'by realised. He might be flying, but it was unlikely N'shen would be, not right now. He flushed. "Sorry."

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 8:28 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
"Sir, if you let me back into the air, I'd-- I'd pretty much work for you any time you liked!" A little over-enthusiastic perhaps but right now Bl'by was floating on a cloud of ecstatic relief. They were going to get to be a proper dragonpair again, and offered that no gratitude felt too much.

N'shen chuckled and nodded.

"All right," he agreed. "Then as soon as you've got your mindhealing sessions scheduled, I'll confer with R'tal and our wingleaders, get you assigned to a wing, and I'll see you back when you're done with your first drills."

Aaron

"Sir, am I not going to stay in your-- oh." Belatedly, Bl'by realised. He might be flying, but it was unlikely N'shen would be, not right now. He flushed. "Sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about," said N'shen. He smiled back, though it had clearly faded a bit. "As soon as Truenoth is fighting fit again, I'd be honored to have you in the wing I'm leading. And I suspect you won't have to move even now, but I want to be sure everyone else agrees."