Topics

Yes she's fully grown. No, we're not Weyrlings. (Dytha/D'jarin)

Nutmeg

IC Date Reference: Set approximately current time - IC date approximately 8.28.6.24.

IC: There had been a lot on her mind since her talk with V'ler and unfortunately, not enough time to sit down and start to process some of it. And to top it off, her shift in the Infirmary had finished late. No, she didn't begrudge an emergency, that was the nature of the work, but when you were supposed to finish nearly three candlemarks earlier, it was hard not to  be a little grumpy about it. As it was, the sun was already sinking low in the sky, clouds tinged with the oranges and pinks of sunset as she trudged to the Lake with her cleaning gear. At least it wouldn't take long - that was something. And it would be nice to spend a little time with Ponth to get over the rubbish end to the day.

((The water is still warm, Healer-Mine! And I can dry off on the rocks whilst they're still warm!))

Dytha noted the endearment with a wan smile. Ponth only used it when she was concerned. And why wouldn't she be? She was already well aware of the lingering aches in Dytha's joints, the burning itch that had begun to plague her at night. All tell-tale signs that her feet were beginning to flare up again. Why else would Ponth be going out of her way to be even more helpful than usual?

"We'll spend all the time we need to, sweetling." She had remarked as she arrived, fondly rubbing the small green muzzle that pushed into her as she drew close. "I even brought that oil Vukoth gave us, the one that makes you smell like flowers."

The Lake was quieter at this time of day, many having retired to weyrs and ledges for the evening and Dytha enjoyed the quiet sounds over the water, dressed in shorts and a vest as she began methodically working the sweet smelling soapsand into Ponth's dark green, almost black, hide.

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

Vizslath shuffled around on the sun-warmed rocks, impatient for His to join him so that they could fly their evening circle of the Weyr, when his attention was caught by the small green and- her rider? What were they doing out so late?

((You should be with your class.)) Vizslath rumbled, though he courteously spoke to only the green. ((Weyrlings are not supposed to wander.)) The bronze added, and sat a little straighter. ((I am Vizslath. Who are you?))

Nutmeg

The bronze might have spoken only to Ponth but the green's head turned intuitively towards him. Dytha picked up on the wave of annoyance that flickered through her and would have done even without the snort that the bronze was rewarded with. Oh, she could probably guess what had been said...

((Because I am *not* a Weyrling!))

The response had included Dytha and she had recognised the tart note behind it. It was a novelty that was wearing off. And interrupting Ponth's time with her Rider. With a flick of her head, she had pointedly looked away again and Dytha had peered around the small green's shoulder for any sight of a Rider or whether the bronze was on his own. "Hush, he's probably new, that's all.

((And if he had looked at me *properly* he would have seen that I do not look like a Weyrling. I am only small. But I am obviously fully grown.))

The bronze was included on the remark, even if for all intents and purposes, it was directed towards Dytha. The Dragonhealer sighed. So much for a little quiet bonding time with her green. Setting down the brush and stepping around Ponth, Dytha eyed the newcomer. No, the bronze wasn't familiar and his assumption convinced her he must be a new arrival. She didn't normally speak to dragons directly but a Rider hadn't made themselves known.

"She's fully grown and three turns old. So she isn't a Weyrling and she's allowed to be here." Her voice held a tired, resigned note as if this was a field of conversation she had had to navigate many, many times.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 11:47 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
Vizslath shuffled around on the sun-warmed rocks, impatient for His to join him so that they could fly their evening circle of the Weyr, when his attention was caught by the small green and- her rider? What were they doing out so late?

((You should be with your class.)) Vizslath rumbled, though he courteously spoke to only the green. ((Weyrlings are not supposed to wander.)) The bronze added, and sat a little straighter. ((I am Vizslath. Who are you?))

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

Now *that* was interesting, and whereas Vizslath may have gone back to waiting if it was just an errant weyrling, the fact that this green was a mature adult caught and held his interest. ((But you are small.)) he responded, leaning in to peer at Ponth a bit better, and then settling back with a hum. ((I see it now. Where did you come from, that you are so small? Are you well?)) He was at least, genuinely concerned.

D'jarin, perhaps unluckily, chose that moment to return from the direction of the Rider's Hall, last bite of meatroll in hand, and Vizslath's head turned. ((Mine! Come see this at once!))

Nutmeg

"You explain, I'll keep scrubbing." Dytha had said softly, picking the brush back up. "And be nice. I'm sure he's just curious." She had affectionately kissed Ponth's shoulder before resuming lathering the green up.

(( Fiiiiine. ))  Another small huff and she turned her dark head back towards Vizalath and inspected the bronze carefully. This time her mind-voice was at least more like her usual self, bouncing with its sofft, lilting tones. (( I came from very far away. And very long ago. It was very dark. And very cold. But I saw light! And I knew that Healer-mine was waiting for me.))

Dytha had heard this story many, many times. And her opinion was that it was her green's way of understanding the fact she had been brought two thousand years forward in time. Whilst still in her egg. She suspected that the "light" was the moment her shell had cracked after arriving and the last glimpse of memory that she had. Dytha wondered if, much like humans remembering a significant or traumatic event, that the chaos of her hatching had left an imprint of memory she would retain forever.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:41 AM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
Now *that* was interesting, and whereas Vizslath may have gone back to waiting if it was just an errant weyrling, the fact that this green was a mature adult caught and held his interest. ((But you are small.)) he responded, leaning in to peer at Ponth a bit better, and then settling back with a hum. ((I see it now. Where did you come from, that you are so small? Are you well?)) He was at least, genuinely concerned.

D'jarin, perhaps unluckily, chose that moment to return from the direction of the Rider's Hall, last bite of meatroll in hand, and Vizslath's head turned. ((Mine! Come see this at once!))

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

((You must have been very strong and brave.)) Vizslath rumbled, thoughtfully, the bronze dipping his head as he considered this. ((Perhaps that is why you are small- you are meant to be fierce, and any larger, none would be a match for you.))

A pause, his gaze shifting to her rider. ((Yours is a Healer?))

And then D'jarin was arriving, and the bronze looked at him. ((Mine, this green is from long ago!))

"What?"

Nutmeg

Ponth felt quite sure there was a compliment in there. Somewhere. She eyed the bronze thoughtfully as she shifted her shoulders to let Dytha better scrub the muscles at her wing base. The green crooned softly at Dytha and received an affectionate thump for it.

(( Yes, Mine is a Healer. That would be why I called her Healer-mine. She is a Healer and she is Mine. ))

There was a slight edge to Ponth's tone as though she were speaking to a particularly slow child. Didn't someone say that bronzes were meant to be smarter than she was? She would have thought it was very obvious why she would call Hers "Healer". Well, it was obvious to her at least. As the Rider appeared, Dytha's own gaze flickered to the newcomer. If this was going to be another person coming to gawk and ask stupid questions, Bronzerider or not, they would find theselves on the sharper side of her tongue in short order.

"Fair skies, Bronzerider," she said politely, pausing in her scrubbing efforts to offer a polite nod of greeting.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 6:29 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
((You must have been very strong and brave.)) Vizslath rumbled, thoughtfully, the bronze dipping his head as he considered this. ((Perhaps that is why you are small- you are meant to be fierce, and any larger, none would be a match for you.))

A pause, his gaze shifting to her rider. ((Yours is a Healer?))

And then D'jarin was arriving, and the bronze looked at him. ((Mine, this green is from long ago!))

"What?"

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

((Mine is simply my rider.)) Vizslath answered simply, faceted eyes gleaming in the dusk as he turned his head, regarding his rider. D'jarin gave the bronze's shoulder an absent pat before his attention was drawn up- taking in the small dragon before focusing on what had to be her rider.

"Fair skies, green rider." He grunted in response. "Vizslath?"

 ((I want to stay and talk.)) The bronze asserted.

Nutmeg

Dytha could feel that beginnings of a catty remark forming in Ponth's thoughts and shushed it before the green had a chance to retort. Hmm. That would explain it. She was amazed that Ponth hadn't demanded Dytha paint her talons purple yet. "I'm surprised you're not all over him, dearest. You usually are by now." Her voice was a soft murmur for the green, pausing at Ponth's head to affectionately rub her eye ridge.

(( Well, he's not Vukoth, )) Ponth replied a little snittily and Dytha rolled her eyes. Oh the joys of rousing greens. "Well be nice. He's trying to be friendly. They wonder about you, you know that."

Moving towards the shallows, Dytha wrung out the rags she used to scoop off the excess soapsand lather. "Don't mind her, she's starting to get proddy. Which means she's snotty and rude. Normally she can't wait to tell the other dragons all about why she's the way she is." It was directed at both the bronze and his Rider, hopefully to intercept any hurt feeling before the newcomer had time to get offended.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 5:30 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
((Mine is simply my rider.)) Vizslath answered simply, faceted eyes gleaming in the dusk as he turned his head, regarding his rider. D'jarin gave the bronze's shoulder an absent pat before his attention was drawn up- taking in the small dragon before focusing on what had to be her rider.

"Fair skies, green rider." He grunted in response. "Vizslath?"

 ((I want to stay and talk.)) The bronze asserted.

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

"I don't mind." D'jarin gave the shortest answer, leaning against Vizslath. "Greens get proddy. So do golds. It's life." He paused. "Might be why Vizslath's not offended." Was that a joke? "That, and your green's interesting. Never met a past dragon before." A nod to Dytha.

A moment later, he added, "We can go if you'd rather. Don't want to intrude." Well , more than he had. Some riders liked being alone with their lifemates.

Nutmeg

Well, at least he wasn't offended. That was something at least. No doubt his bronze was feeding off the pheromones that Ponth was no doubt emitting and making the pair entirely more amiable. Well, it was better than confrontation. Dytha could argue until she was blue in the face but some days, she really wasn't feeling in the mood for it. Today was one of those days. She waved a hand noncommittally at his offer of leaving. "Eh. You're here now. Ask away. I'm sure you've got a hundred questions burning at the forefront of your brain."

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 5:33 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"I don't mind." D'jarin gave the shortest answer, leaning against Vizslath. "Greens get proddy. So do golds. It's life." He paused. "Might be why Vizslath's not offended." Was that a joke? "That, and your green's interesting. Never met a past dragon before." A nod to Dytha.

A moment later, he added, "We can go if you'd rather. Don't want to intrude." Well , more than he had. Some riders liked being alone with their lifemates.

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

"Not really." D'jarin answered, with a shrug. "Vizslath covered it. Dragon's happy and healthy, don't need to know past that."

Vizslath snorted. ((Wherever would you be, if I didn't ask questions?)) he told his rider, turning his head to nudge D'jarin. The bronze rider huffed, gave his muzzle a push. "Must've been something else. Minding your own business and suddenly, dragon. Least Candidates expect it."

Nutmeg

Skepticism coloured her expression in the form of a raised brow. No questions? She found that hard to believe. Normally the questions were falling out faster than the brain could formulate them. Well, she'd given him his chance to scratch that itch, he wasn't going to get it again. "That's a first," she snorted, clearly not entirely believing his lack of curiosity. "Normally anyone who meets Ponth for the first time can't stop themselves asking questions."

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 11:01 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Not really." D'jarin answered, with a shrug. "Vizslath covered it. Dragon's happy and healthy, don't need to know past that."

Vizslath snorted. ((Wherever would you be, if I didn't ask questions?)) he told his rider, turning his head to nudge D'jarin. The bronze rider huffed, gave his muzzle a push. "Must've been something else. Minding your own business and suddenly, dragon. Least Candidates expect it."

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

"I figured." D'jarin offered. "Got the impression you were tired of questions."

Vizslath hummed, and the bronze rider gave his dragon an absent pat to his muzzle. "What's your name?"

((Mine is D'jarin.)) Vizslath offered to both the green and her rider. ((It is an honor to meet you.))

Nutmeg

"Gets boring when it's always the same ones." Dytha wasn't being rude, she was in fact being nonchalantly blunt about it. After three turns you got used to the constant barrage but it was still irritating on occasion. "I get why there's such interest in Ponth and the others from her class - especially for people coming from out of the Weyr. Plus there have been some who have taken... issue with the fact we don't fly Fall. Not by choice. Ponth is too small to sustain it as she was at the smaller end of her class but unfortunately I'm not fit enough most of the time." She might as well cover that one before he asked why she still wore Healer knots if she was a Rider now. Albeit Healer knots with a green thread.

(( Of course it is an honour. I'm positively marvellous and I know all the best places to sun! )) Ponth was unabashed in her pride. No, it wasn't as egotistical as a gold, there was a playfulness there. But she was also entirely comfortable in her own skin and had no lack of self-confidence when it came to her unusually small size.