Topics

Who, Me? Attn Valder

Laura Walker

Garatt wasn't quite as sure of the herdbeast as the other animals that the BeastCraft tended to deal with. Runners he knew, the smaller animals he knew, but herdbeast were a little foreign to the boy's experience.

Besides, the real problem with herdbeast was that dragons tended to hunt them. And where there were dragons, there were riders, and some of the riders were bound to be Assistant Candidate Masters and there his imagination and thinking tended to stall out into 'I don't like these thoughts and I don't want to think them any more'.

Curiosity pulled one way, fear pulled the other. So it was a very cautious young man who approached at the edge of the fields closest to the stables, watching the herdbeast over their fence but all ready to retreat if a dragon appeared. Particularly a bronze dragon. These weren't the herdbeast intended for immediate dragon consumption (those wouldn't be kept so close to the runners, which panicked easily) these were the breeding stock but.. dragons were dragons. They might not decide to pay any attention to that.

It was easy to spot from there that one of the beasts seemed to be struggling, clearly favouring one side when she walked. Garatt hesitated, unsure what to do about it. Assume someone  already knew? Ru and tell Master Tolfast and hope he could pick it out again?

Amy Frazey

Valder and Sig were moving along one side of the herd of breeding stock, just out for a walk to let the green wher expend some energy, which she seemed to have an abundance of lately. He had also spotted the lame cow, and planned to tell one of the herdsmen when he had a minute.

All of a sudden, Sig stopped dead and came to attention, clearly seeing or smelling something Valder didn't. He paused and watched her, ((What is it, Sig?))

The green wher scented the wind for a moment. [[Hurt beast. New smell. New man smell. Sigrun find?]]

Laura Walker

Unaware he wasn't the only one there watching Garatt climbed up another rung of the fence. He wasn't quite daring enough to climb in with the herdbeast; he'd had enough warnings that a panicked herd could crush a man and he wasn't exactly sure how you could tell when they were going to panic. Still, he leaned over further, trying to get a better look so he could at least describe it.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 2:37 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Valder and Sig were moving along one side of the herd of breeding stock, just out for a walk to let the green wher expend some energy, which she seemed to have an abundance of lately. He had also spotted the lame cow, and planned to tell one of the herdsmen when he had a minute.

All of a sudden, Sig stopped dead and came to attention, clearly seeing or smelling something Valder didn't. He paused and watched her, ((What is it, Sig?))

The green wher scented the wind for a moment. [[Hurt beast. New smell. New man smell. Sigrun find?]]

Amy Frazey

The first thought that popped into Valder's head when Sig said she smelled a new man was beast rustlers. But he quickly dismissed that idea. Who would dare try to steal here, where dragons patrolled?

Valder looked around quickly, then gave a nod and a sharp whistle. He'd spotted someone standing up on one of the fence rails, leaning over and looking like he was about to fall into the corral. ((Sig, cut and hold.)) He whistled again, and gave the green wher an image of the person, a boy from the looks of it. And the eager green sprang into a run along the fence line.

It didn't take her long to reach the boy, and she lept up to snag his clothing with her paw. [[Down! Sig hold. Who you?]] The green wher pulled, urging the boy to get off the fence, as the herd began to get restless due to her closeness.

Laura Walker

Garatt wasn’t scared of whers —in fact he was a good deal less nervous of Sig than he would have been of her human. But a wher pulling at his trousers, loose as they were, was at serious risk of pulling them down. He was nervous besides of any thing getting too close to his backside, in the way it was automatic to protect an area that hurt lest something accidentally made it worse.

It meant that he turned to try to face her, grabbing at his trousers with one hand —his bandaged hand— to try to hold them up. But that meant he was hanging on to the very top of the fence with one hand and one foot, far more precarious than he had been a minute ago.

“Don’t, please.” That was polite rather than pleading. He liked whers well enough and despite the fact this one was trying to grab him had no thought that it might hurt him. Tilly never had and besides it seemed friendly. “Let me climb down.”

On Monday, October 26, 2020, Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
The first thought that popped into Valder's head when Sig said she smelled a new man was beast rustlers. But he quickly dismissed that idea. Who would dare try to steal here, where dragons patrolled?

Valder looked around quickly, then gave a nod and a sharp whistle. He'd spotted someone standing up on one of the fence rails, leaning over and looking like he was about to fall into the corral. ((Sig, cut and hold.)) He whistled again, and gave the green wher an image of the person, a boy from the looks of it. And the eager green sprang into a run along the fence line.

It didn't take her long to reach the boy, and she lept up to snag his clothing with her paw. [[Down! Sig hold. Who you?]] The green wher pulled, urging the boy to get off the fence, as the herd began to get restless due to her closeness.

Amy Frazey

When the boy turned around, Sig released him, thinking he was getting off the fence. [[Down. Val say down.]] The boy's polite request was only half lost on the green wher. He still looked like he was going to fall, and Sig eased back so he wouldn't land on her if he did. [[Sigrun watch. You hurt?]] The boy smelled damaged, the way some herdbeasts did if they were injured.

And about then, Valder walked up, making a motion with one hand, and Sig immediately lay down, though she stayed watchful. "Whatcha doin' round them heavies, boy? What'ser name?" He gave the bedraggled boy a close once over. "Ya almost fell in. What's wrong with yer pants?"

Laura Walker

Garatt had been perfectly fine with the wher, quite happy to obediently scramble down from the fence to stand on his feet, still holding his trousers in place with one hand. His posture changed almost immediately when Valder appeared though, head ducking and shoulders hunching as he tried to shrink in on himself.

“I’m sorry!” The apology came first, words quickly thrown out as though apologising quickly enough might still save him. “I didn’t mean— I was just trying to see — I think one’s hurt.” The hand holding his trousers tugged at them, twisting a little, unconscious fidgeting like a nervous runner too antsy to stand entirely still.

To the wher’s nose the boy would even have smelt different; he was sweating suddenly, skin flushing hot in panic. A moment ago he had been calm, now he smelt scared.

On Monday, October 26, 2020, Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
When the boy turned around, Sig released him, thinking he was getting off the fence. [[Down. Val say down.]] The boy's polite request was only half lost on the green wher. He still looked like he was going to fall, and Sig eased back so he wouldn't land on her if he did. [[Sigrun watch. You hurt?]] The boy smelled damaged, the way some herdbeasts did if they were injured.

And about then, Valder walked up, making a motion with one hand, and Sig immediately lay down, though she stayed watchful. "Whatcha doin' round them heavies, boy? What'ser name?" He gave the bedraggled boy a close once over. "Ya almost fell in. What's wrong with yer pants?"

Amy Frazey

The quick change in the boy  -he was acting like a beaten pup- made Valder step back and hold up his hands in a calming gesture. His tone and words had been a bit rough, as usual, but he hadn't been trying to scare the boy.

Valder clucked his tongue, like he would to calm a nervous heavy, and he spoke soothingly. "Hey, hey. Nothin' to 'pologize fer. Ya didn't do nothin' wrong. What's yer name?"

The change in the smell of the boy made Sig scoot closer to him, though she wrinkled her snout at the sour smell of his terrified sweat. [[Sigrun calm. Sigrun nice, yes? No stampede.]]

Laura Walker

"Garatt, sir." He was edgy still, whole body tensed as though ready for trouble. "I wasn't going to-- one was limping and I was just trying to see what she looked like so I could tell someone." He fidgeted, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. "I just wanted to see if she was hurt, that was all."

There were kids who cringed when you looked at them and then opened their mouths and you could tell from the way they spoke that they'd likely been brought up on poverty with barely a decent meal in their lives. That wasn't Garatt. He shifted and squirmed with that same nervousness but he spoke nicely, words hurried and falling over each other but still carefully enunciated in the way of a boy who had been well brought up and educated.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 3:55 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
The quick change in the boy  -he was acting like a beaten pup- made Valder step back and hold up his hands in a calming gesture. His tone and words had been a bit rough, as usual, but he hadn't been trying to scare the boy.

Valder clucked his tongue, like he would to calm a nervous heavy, and he spoke soothingly. "Hey, hey. Nothin' to 'pologize fer. Ya didn't do nothin' wrong. What's yer name?"

The change in the smell of the boy made Sig scoot closer to him, though she wrinkled her snout at the sour smell of his terrified sweat. [[Sigrun calm. Sigrun nice, yes? No stampede.]]

Amy Frazey

"Garatt. M'name's Valder. Ya didn't do nothin wrong." Valder nodded at the lame cow, then put a hand on the fence. "I was jest worrit ya'd fall off the fence and git hurt. That's why I sent Sig here at git ya down."

Laura Walker

"Hi Sig." And Garatt managed a tentative smile aimed at the wher rather than at Vader. He bit his lip, still timid if no longer quite as scared that he was about to be in trouble. "Will the herdbeast be okay?"

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:40 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
"Garatt. M'name's Valder. Ya didn't do nothin wrong." Valder nodded at the lame cow, then put a hand on the fence. "I was jest worrit ya'd fall off the fence and git hurt. That's why I sent Sig here at git ya down."

Amy Frazey

Sig scooted even closer to the scared boy, [Sigrun good. Food?]]

Valder shook his head at Sig, then nodded at the lame cow. "Aye, she'll be fine. I'll let one of the herders know, so they can give 'er a lookin'  over. 'm sure they'll make sure she's taken care of."

Laura Walker

Garatt's hand went to his pocket automatically before he glanced hesitantly at Valder. It was a fleeting glance, up and away again, not quite making eye contact. "I uhm. I have treats. For Master Tolfast's Tilly and Shep." Which maybe explained something of why the boy was there even if he wasn't wearing any knots. "If it's okay to give her some?"

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 8:26 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Sig scooted even closer to the scared boy, [Sigrun good. Food?]]

Valder shook his head at Sig, then nodded at the lame cow. "Aye, she'll be fine. I'll let one of the herders know, so they can give 'er a lookin'  over. 'm sure they'll make sure she's taken care of."

Amy Frazey

Valder had been more worried about Garatt falling in the corral, than whether he had permission to be there. It didn't really matter now.

When Garatt asked about giving Sig a treat, Valder shrugged, "Sure, go fer it. Sig, go easy."

Laura Walker

He was far far more relaxed around the wher than the human, keeping a wary eye on Valder even as he rummaged in his pocket for some slightly dusty treats. They had perhaps a little fluff still clinging to them but no animal Garatt had ever met had minded that. "Here you go," he offered, holding his hand carefully flat as he offered it. "Tilly likes these ones."

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
He was far far more relaxed around the wher than the human, keeping a wary eye on Valder even as he rummaged in his pocket for some slightly dusty treats. They had perhaps a little fluff still clinging to them but no animal Garatt had ever met had minded that. "Here you go," he offered, holding his hand carefully flat as he offered it. "Tilly likes these ones."

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 6:58 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Valder had been more worried about Garatt falling in the corral, than whether he had permission to be there. It didn't really matter now.

When Garatt asked about giving Sig a treat, Valder shrugged, "Sure, go fer it. Sig, go easy."

Amy Frazey

"Sig, no teeth." Valder felt compelled to caution the green wher.

Sig whuffed, [[No bite. Sigrun no bite.]] And she managed to very delicately take the treats off the boy's hand, hardly touching him at all, but crunching the treats with satisfaction, then giving Garatt an appreciative little nudge.

Laura Walker

Garatt beamed, and reached cautiously to scratch her headknobs. "Don't the herdbeast mind her?" he asked shyly. "Though I suppose the runners don't mind Tilly."

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 3:18 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
"Sig, no teeth." Valder felt compelled to caution the green wher.

Sig whuffed, [[No bite. Sigrun no bite.]] And she managed to very delicately take the treats off the boy's hand, hardly touching him at all, but crunching the treats with satisfaction, then giving Garatt an appreciative little nudge.

Amy Frazey

Valder nodded at the herd of breeding stock, most of which had moved away from Sig's presence, including the lame cow. "Yea, they mind 'er. But I'm trying ta train Sig ta herd the heavies. She's gettin  a lot better at bein  patient."

At that moment, Sig wasn't interested in the herdbeasts, but was nudging Garatt's hand, searching for more treats or scratches.

Laura Walker

"I don't have any more. I'm sorry." Garatt apologised to the wher, happy to give her all the scratches her heart could desire even if his pockets were empty. He rubbed her headknobs obligingly. "She's not a baby like Tilly, is she?"