Topics

Turning up Like a Bad Penny Att: Crelin/Ka'an

Jerzy Tobin

There were faces you learned to remember, if only to avoid them in the
future. That had been the case when Ka'an had run into his uncle a
few turns back, when the man had mistaken him for his father, of all
people. Ka'an had been quick to distance himself from the man, not
wanting anything to do with him, given what little he knew about the
man. So when the blue rider bumped into, of all people, Crelin, on
the way to the Dining Hall, he was noticeably shocked.

"What are you doing here?" Ka'an demanded before he could stop
himself. He could have kicked himself for all but admitting he knew
Crelin, because now he couldn't just pretend to be someone else if the
man had seen him first.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

There were faces you learned to remember, if only to avoid them in the
future.  That had been the case when Ka'an had run into his uncle a
few turns back, when the man had mistaken him for his father, of all
people.  Ka'an had been quick to distance himself from the man, not
wanting anything to do with him, given what little he knew about the
man.  So when the blue rider bumped into, of all people, Crelin, on
the way to the Dining Hall, he was noticeably shocked.

"What are you doing here?" Ka'an demanded before he could stop
himself.  He could have kicked himself for all but admitting he knew
Crelin, because now he couldn't just pretend to be someone else if the
man had seen him first.

"Got a job here, didn't I?" And Crelin would probably have walked right by him without noticing him had it not been for that. His gaze roamed over the rider, noting his clothes, his good health. "You look like you're doing well for yourself."

Jerzy Tobin

"Got a job here, didn't I?" And Crelin would probably have walked right by him without noticing him had it not been for that. His gaze roamed over the rider, noting his clothes, his good health. "You look like you're doing well for yourself."
Ka'an gave a derisive snort. Whoever had hired him, if in fact he had
been hired on, couldn't have been too smart. Just what could Crelin
do, save for drinking, gambling and stirring up trouble?

"I'm a rider, of course I'm doing well." He couldn't help the
defensive tone that crept into his voice. Not that he intended to
give this man any sort of hand out. Not a chance.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

"Nice for some people I suppose," Crelin said, looking him up and down. "Feed you well here, do they?"

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 8:46 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> "Got a job here, didn't I?" And Crelin would probably have walked right by him without noticing him had it not been for that. His gaze roamed over the rider, noting his clothes, his good health. "You look like you're doing well for yourself."

Ka'an gave a derisive snort.  Whoever had hired him, if in fact he had
been hired on, couldn't have been too smart.  Just what could Crelin
do, save for drinking, gambling and stirring up trouble?

"I'm a rider, of course I'm doing well."  He couldn't help the
defensive tone that crept into his voice.  Not that he intended to
give this man any sort of hand out.  Not a chance.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

"Nice for some people I suppose," Crelin said, looking him up and down. "Feed you well here, do they?"
The temptation to just walk away was very, very strong, but
unfortunately, if he wanted to eat and not be late for Drills, he
couldn't just turn around and take another route. For the moment, he
was stuck with the man.

"Of course," He said tersely. "This is a Weyr, after all." Unspoken
in his tone was the silent 'they actually take care of their people'

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

"Hm." Truth was staying somewhere with decent food where they looked after you a bit sounded fairly nice to Crelin right now. It would doubtless continue seeming nice until he got himself back into hot water. "Maybe I'll stay a while. My boy's here after all."

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 9:55 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> "Nice for some people I suppose," Crelin said, looking him up and down. "Feed you well here, do they?"

The temptation to just walk away was very, very strong, but
unfortunately, if he wanted to eat and not be late for Drills, he
couldn't just turn around and take another route.  For the moment, he
was stuck with the man.

"Of course," He said tersely.  "This is a Weyr, after all."  Unspoken
in his tone was the silent 'they actually take care of their people'

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

"Hm." Truth was staying somewhere with decent food where they looked after you a bit sounded fairly nice to Crelin right now. It would doubtless continue seeming nice until he got himself back into hot water. "Maybe I'll stay a while. My boy's here after all."
"Hmm," Ka'an answered in as neutral a tone as he could manage. He
remembered Kel, remembered the scrawny, starving little boy, and
thought that he'd be a lot better off not knowing that Crelin was back
in the Weyr at all. If he had already been told, there wasn't much
Ka'an could do, but he had a thought to perhaps warn the
Weyrlingmasters about any possible trouble that Crelin's presence
might cause Kel.

"I suppose as long as they have work for you."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

"They reckon they'll find something." Crelin grinned, displaying a mouth of gapped, brown and yellowing teeth. If anything the man seemed to have aged *more* since their last meeting. "Can turn my hand to most things, me."

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 9:42 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> "Hm." Truth was staying somewhere with decent food where they looked after you a bit sounded fairly nice to Crelin right now. It would doubtless continue seeming nice until he got himself back into hot water. "Maybe I'll stay a while. My boy's here after all."

"Hmm," Ka'an answered in as neutral a tone as he could manage.  He
remembered Kel, remembered the scrawny, starving little boy, and
thought that he'd be a lot better off not knowing that Crelin was back
in the Weyr at all.  If he had already been told, there wasn't much
Ka'an could do, but he had a thought to perhaps warn the
Weyrlingmasters about any possible trouble that Crelin's presence
might cause Kel.

"I suppose as long as they have work for you."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

"They reckon they'll find something." Crelin grinned, displaying a mouth of gapped, brown and yellowing teeth. If anything the man seemed to have aged *more* since their last meeting. "Can turn my hand to most things, me."
"I'm sure," the blue rider said, trying very hard not to sneer at the
man. Just being stuck near him put a bad taste in Ka'an's mouth.
"Guess there's always some sort of drudge work that needs extra
hands."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

"Get your nose out of the air, lad." Crelin scowled at that. "We can't all be riders and that dragon o' yours would go awful hungry without people to fix the fences to keep his dinner in. Just 'cause you got lucky, no need to look down on those who didn't."