Topics

Trying to be Subtle atten: Tamalack/Kalain


sailyn2
 

For a long time Tamalack had been Kalain's best friend. They went a lot of places together and they had gone into the whercraft together. Now they had the only two tunnel whers in captivity and Kalain felt that made them even closer. Along the way somewhere he realized that his feelings had change from purely friendly, but he'd been hiding those feelings to try not to scare or drive Tam away. Now he was struggling. The urge to say something was strong, but so was the fear of rejection. Especially since Tam had never shown any interest in men.

Kalain was sitting with Sleak half in his lap, petting her as he brooded over the position he was in. The Whercraft barracks were nice and quiet for brooding.


Laurie
 

Chato walked sedately next to Tamalak, constantly looking up at him. It would at first seem that he was being the model wher, but that wasn't quite the case.

~~Is dis right?~~
~~Howz dis?~~
~~Lookat wut a good boy Chato is!~~
~~Ima walkin' like you sed~~

"Yes, Chato, you're perfect," Tamalak said, smiling down at him. Shards, he loved his wher, but sometimes...

~~Sometimes wut? You luv me moar?~~

Tamalak laughed, and scratched Chato's head. They walked through the barracks door. "Yes, Chato, sometimes I love you more."  He noticed Kalain and Sleek and plopped down next to him.

"You doing okay? You look a bit pensive." 

Chato pounced on Sleek happily. ~~I got to walk 'round da whole building wif Tam~~ he said, excited.


On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 2:52 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
For a long time Tamalack had been Kalain's best friend. They went a lot of places together and they had gone into the whercraft together. Now they had the only two tunnel whers in captivity and Kalain felt that made them even closer. Along the way somewhere he realized that his feelings had change from purely friendly, but he'd been hiding those feelings to try not to scare or drive Tam away. Now he was struggling. The urge to say something was strong, but so was the fear of rejection. Especially since Tam had never shown any interest in men.

Kalain was sitting with Sleak half in his lap, petting her as he brooded over the position he was in. The Whercraft barracks were nice and quiet for brooding.


sailyn2
 

Kalain's surprise was overridden by a loud "oof" as he suddenly had two whers on his lap. "Off, get off!" He pushed at Sleak.

~Lain no fun~ Sleak said, sliding off with Kato and then starting to tussle with him on the floor next to the bed. Her tail whipped up and knocked over some things on the bedside table.

"Sleak, be careful!"

~See, Lain no fun~ she pretended to pout but was a bit more careful as they played.

Kalain turned back to Tam. "Yeah, I uh, was just thinking. You know, worrying like I do."


Laurie
 

"Yeah. You worry, I just go all silent and broody," Tamalak said with a hint of bitterness. He watched the two whers playing on the floor, their tails wrapping around each other. 

It didn't look like anyone else was in the barracks, but he lowered his voice anyway. "I'm tired of being...shunned, I guess. If I didn't have you, I'd go crazy here." Of course, if he and Kalain didn't have each other, they probably wouldn't have discovered the tunnelwhers and accidentally Impressed them. "I was cleaning cages with some of the others today, and they totally ignored me. I hated that."

~~Other two-legs make Tam sad. 'lain is best friend. Is good.~~ Chato told Sleek.


On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 7:47 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Kalain's surprise was overridden by a loud "oof" as he suddenly had two whers on his lap. "Off, get off!" He pushed at Sleak.

~Lain no fun~ Sleak said, sliding off with Kato and then starting to tussle with him on the floor next to the bed. Her tail whipped up and knocked over some things on the bedside table.

"Sleak, be careful!"

~See, Lain no fun~ she pretended to pout but was a bit more careful as they played.

Kalain turned back to Tam. "Yeah, I uh, was just thinking. You know, worrying like I do."


sailyn2
 

"I know," Kalain grunted. That was another problem, maybe he could distract his best friend. "We were just saving their lives and I wouldn't have it any other way."

~Lain good. Tam good. Mean two-legs. Tect Lain and Tam.~ Sleek answered


Laurie
 

"Yeah. I mean, it's not like we planned to go find a whole new breed of wher and Impress the best possible breedable colors," Tam cried. He clapped his hand over his mouth. "Oops, didn't mean to be so loud. So," he studied his friend. "You seem depressed. What's wrong?"

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 5:34 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"I know," Kalain grunted. That was another problem, maybe he could distract his best friend. "We were just saving their lives and I wouldn't have it any other way."

~Lain good. Tam good. Mean two-legs. Tect Lain and Tam.~ Sleek answered


sailyn2
 

"There's no one to hear anyway," Kalain pointed out. He shook his head. "Nothing worth talking about." Or at least nothing  he could talk to Tam about.


Laurie
 

And did it really matter anyway, if anyone heard them. But Tam didn't care about that anymore. He cared about his friend.

"If you can't talk to your best friend, who can you talk to?" he asked. Then he snapped his fingers. "Is it Karla? Do you want to see her? I'm sure she'd like to see you!"

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 1:07 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"There's no one to hear anyway," Kalain pointed out. He shook his head. "Nothing worth talking about." Or at least nothing  he could talk to Tam about.


sailyn2
 

Kalain jumped at the snap of the fingers. "N...n...no," he stammered, blushing hard. "It's not her. But I don't think this is something I can talk to you about. I'll get over it. I promise."


Laurie
 

Tamalak shrugged. Must be a different girl...maybe one of the female wher handlers. Though he hadn't seen Kalain making goo-goo eyes at anyone. So, probably not a girl at all. Just something else.

"Well, I'm not going to push you. But if you ever decide you want to talk to me, you know where my bunk is."  Tamalak lay back on the bed they were sitting on, crossing his hands behind his head. "I've been trying to train Chato to heel. He's been doing pretty good with it."

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 12:45 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kalain jumped at the snap of the fingers. "N...n...no," he stammered, blushing hard. "It's not her. But I don't think this is something I can talk to you about. I'll get over it. I promise."


sailyn2
 

Kalain shrunk in on himself. He felt like he was disappointing Tam by not saying anything. Fecked if he did, fecked if he didn't.

"Sleek still wants to pull ahead," he said. The two pups were now laying in a heap and panting on the floor. "She's starting to get more protective and possessive, too."


Laurie
 

"Well, Sleek is gold, therefore she's strong-willed. Chato and I ran into Diagre and Ziya the other day. Chato minded Ziya, but I had the feeling that if she and Sleek were both vying for his attention, Chato would mind Sleek ahead of Ziya." He sat up. "I could be wrong though." 

Something was still eating at Kalain, and Tam didn't like it. But he also didn't know what to do. He hated it when people kept bugging him about things, so he didn't want to keep harping on his friend. 

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 8:24 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kalain shrunk in on himself. He felt like he was disappointing Tam by not saying anything. Fecked if he did, fecked if he didn't.

"Sleek still wants to pull ahead," he said. The two pups were now laying in a heap and panting on the floor. "She's starting to get more protective and possessive, too."


sailyn2
 

"I don't know, but I think it'd be bad to find out," Kalain said. "But I think as they're the same er...breed...it's more likely that he'd listen to Sleek just because of that." He chewed his lip as he stopped and debated. Then he asked, "Have you found anyone you're interested in here? Some girl or something?"


Laurie
 

Tamalak wrinkled his forehead in thought. "I...not really. We've been so busy here: learning about whers, caring for whers,  and then we accidentally Impress these two goofuses." Chato lifted his head to gaze at Tam and waved a couple fronds at him. "I didn't want to talk to anyone besides you after I started hearing them all." And maybe that was it. Tam was attracted to girls--there were a couple around here that he thought were nice, or pretty. But he preferred spending time with Kalain. Now we wondered if there was something wrong with him since he didn't fancy anyone.



On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 10:32 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"I don't know, but I think it'd be bad to find out," Kalain said. "But I think as they're the same er...breed...it's more likely that he'd listen to Sleek just because of that." He chewed his lip as he stopped and debated. Then he asked, "Have you found anyone you're interested in here? Some girl or something?"


sailyn2
 

"There's been a lot going on," Kalain agreed. Sleek broke away from Chato to try to climb in Kalain's lap again. He reached down to pet her, a couple of those fronds curling around his fingers. "I'm sure you'll find someone soon enough." There might have been a sad note in there that he couldn't quite cover.


Laurie
 

Tam shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. I'd rather hang with you though." The comment could be viewed as clueless. Tamalak never really thought about girls. He wasn't attracted to any. But he wasn't attracted to boys, either. Sure, he would wake up in the mornings hard; sure he had what was considered wet dreams, but he wasn't overly interested in sex with anyone. There were times he thought something was wrong with him, but when he would talk to Margana, she assured him that however he felt was the way he was supposed to feel.


On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 8:43 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"There's been a lot going on," Kalain agreed. Sleek broke away from Chato to try to climb in Kalain's lap again. He reached down to pet her, a couple of those fronds curling around his fingers. "I'm sure you'll find someone soon enough." There might have been a sad note in there that he couldn't quite cover.


sailyn2
 

"Yeah, me too," Kalain said softly, almost wistfully.  He caught Tam's eyes and almost willed for the other boy to understand, "I really like spending time with you."


Laurie
 

Kalain wasn't saying something. Tamalak knew that, but he couldn't figure it out.

Chato didn't like how confused Tamalak was. His and Sleek's kept talking in circles, and Tam was getting muzzy from it.

~~Wut's 'lain not saying to Tam?~~ he asked Sleek on the sly. ~~Tam's head is in a not-like place.~~ Chato didn't like confusion, especially when it was his person.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 10:23 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"Yeah, me too," Kalain said softly, almost wistfully.  He caught Tam's eyes and almost willed for the other boy to understand, "I really like spending time with you."


sailyn2
 

Sleek wasn't any happier. They'd stopped playing and she pressed against Chato for comfort. At the question, she rifled through Kalain's mind. The answer wasn't hard to find with it being right on the tip of her lifemate's mind.

~'Lain like Tam. 'Lain want...~ She had no words for the next part so she sent the picture of the two boys on the bed kissing.


Laurie
 

(OOC: *dies*)

~~Why he not just say. Silly two-legs.~~ Chato said, then helpfully sent the picture Sleek had sent him to Tam.

Not expecting this, Tam jumped, eyes widening in final understanding. "Oh." He was shocked. The idea had never occurred to him, though since he hadn't felt any interest in any of the girls he knew, that wasn't surprising.

"Um, really?" he asked. He rolled the idea around in his head for what probably felt like a long time to the other boy. He broke it down:
-He and Kalain were close
-He'd been raised in three Weyrs. Luckily Fort's homophobia hadn't had a chance to set into his psyche before moving to Ista, then Arolos. So it wasn't something he thought was wrong, he'd just never thought about it.
-He and Kalain were probably closer than brothers. But he'd never felt particularly brotherly towards Kalain. 
-What if something happened to make them mad at each other? He shrugged at himself on that one; after all, even as friends they'd have fights.
-Sleek and Chato would probably end up together anyway, when Sleek ran. 

"OK," he said. "Let's."


On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:40 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Sleek wasn't any happier. They'd stopped playing and she pressed against Chato for comfort. At the question, she rifled through Kalain's mind. The answer wasn't hard to find with it being right on the tip of her lifemate's mind.

~'Lain like Tam. 'Lain want...~ She had no words for the next part so she sent the picture of the two boys on the bed kissing.