Topics

This Will Not Stand Att: T'ryn/M'ayen

Jerzy Tobin

Lennaye had always been quiet, in a shy sort of way, ever since she'd
first been introduced to T'ryn. They'd both warmed up to each other
fairly quickly, enough for T'ryn to know when she was acting out of
the ordinary. He'd kept his conversations casual, then, hoping that
it would draw her out, and maybe she'd tell him what was wrong. And
it worked, but what he heard had his head spinning. M'ayen was back,
teaching the candidates. And T'ryn - who had endured the man back at
Fort - didn't have to be a genius to know that Lennaye was just the
sort of candidate that M'ayen would have seized on as someone to make
an example of. She wasn't stupid, but she was a bit slow and a little
too deliberate at times, and if she knew something already, her mind
would wander. And she had admitted to just that. But the so called
punishment M'ayen had given her... He might not be able to do much
for the other candidates - he'd leave that to the Candidate Master,
who would surely get involved - but he could at least do what he could
to protect Lennaye from any further overzealous negative attention
from the 'new' ACM.

So, after doing his best to reassure the young girl and sending her on
her way after Myholth was finished with his washing, T'ryn went in
search of M'ayen. He figured the best place would be to start in the
ACM's office, so that was where he went.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

So, after doing his best to reassure the young girl and sending her on
her way after Myholth was finished with his washing, T'ryn went in
search of M'ayen.  He figured the best place would be to start in the
ACM's office, so that was where he went.

"Enter!" Some things didn't change; the bellow from inside the office was just the same as in T'ryn's Candidacy.

Jerzy Tobin

"Enter!" Some things didn't change; the bellow from inside the office was just the same as in T'ryn's Candidacy.

In spite of all the turns separating T'ryn from his own Candidacy and Weyrlinghood, that bellow still caused the bronze rider to flinch slightly.  An instinctive response to run away that had been drilled into him from abuse endured at Fort to 'bring him up to snuff'.  And, it was just that reason that T'ryn straightened himself back up, calling up every bit of dignity and authority he could muster.  He wasn't going to let his daughter be tormented as he had been, not here, not now.

So, it wasn't a meek and cowed rider that entered M'ayen's office.  It was an officious bronze rider, one who had at one point been Weyrleader, and was now a Wing leader, that walked in instead.

"Good afternoon, ACM M'ayen" T'ryn said smoothly.  "I believe I have a matter of some urgency to discuss with you."

--
"Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the goal of arriving safely in a prettily preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a shower of gravel and party shards, thoroughly used, utterly exhausted, and loudly proclaiming: "F*** ME, that Rocked!!" -unknown

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

In spite of all the turns separating T'ryn from his own Candidacy and Weyrlinghood, that bellow still caused the bronze rider to flinch slightly.  An instinctive response to run away that had been drilled into him from abuse endured at Fort to 'bring him up to snuff'.  And, it was just that reason that T'ryn straightened himself back up, calling up every bit of dignity and authority he could muster.  He wasn't going to let his daughter be tormented as he had been, not here, not now.

So, it wasn't a meek and cowed rider that entered M'ayen's office.  It was an officious bronze rider, one who had at one point been Weyrleader, and was now a Wing leader, that walked in instead.

"Good afternoon, ACM M'ayen" T'ryn said smoothly.  "I believe I have a matter of some urgency to discuss with you."

And M'ayen had always reacted to rank. It made no difference that T'ryn was still young; he was old enough now to command respect, old enough that M'ayen himself straightened his spine and nodded to him respectfully. It was wise to stay on the right side of young bronzeriders; tomorrow you never knew who would be Weyrleader.

"Wingleader," he greeted. "Please, take a seat." Not that he had any idea what T'ryn might want. Better to be polite anyway.

Jerzy Tobin

"Wingleader," he greeted. "Please, take a seat." Not that he had any idea what T'ryn might want. Better to be polite anyway.

"I prefer to stand, thank you," T'ryn said, remaining upright.  Partly because he didn't expect this to take long, and partly because, somewhere in the back of his mind, a little voice was screaming to use absolutely anything to his advantage in this 'fight', and height was one of those advantages.

"I'm here to discuss one of your candidates, the ah, punishment, you gave them in class today."

--
"Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the goal of arriving safely in a prettily preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a shower of gravel and party shards, thoroughly used, utterly exhausted, and loudly proclaiming: "F*** ME, that Rocked!!" -unknown

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

M'ayen was honestly surprised by that, and his face showed it. Of all the people he'd expected the Candidates to go complaining to a Wingleader was not amongst them.

"Garatt, is it?" he said after a startled pause, already readying his arguments for defence.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 3:41 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
[...]

"No, Lennaye," T'ryn quickly clarified.  "My daughter."

She had mentioned that she hadn't been the only candidate punished, but she hadn't specified who the others had been, or what had been done to them.  Given that it was M'ayen, he had some inkling of ideas as to what that could entail, but she had stressed that he hadn't actually laid a hand on them...yet.

"I am of the opinion that your so called punishment was far more than excessive for someone caught doodling.  Especially since, given all other reports of her classes and classwork, she's doing quite well.  She is young, and I will more than grant that she was in the wrong, but forcing her to stand at the front of a class holding a book out in front of her for the rest of the class was unnecessary.  Calling her out, having her apologize in front of the class, writing an extra essay or lines, those would have been enough.  But I am very seriously tempted to take this incident up with the Candidate Master if this is the way you intend to keep discipline here.  I will *not* have my daughter scared off from having a chance at Impressing, and I will *not* have her too terrified to actually confide in or learn from her teachers, something your methods are in fact likely to cause."

--
"Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the goal of arriving safely in a prettily preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a shower of gravel and party shards, thoroughly used, utterly exhausted, and loudly proclaiming: "F*** ME, that Rocked!!" -unknown

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

"Lennaye is your daughter?" He hadn't thought the man was old enough, but then Wingleaders looked younger and younger of late.

He only half-listened to the lecture on what T'ryn found acceptable. Really the matter had been resolved the moment T'ryn claimed Lennaye as his own.

"Fine," he said calmly, once the man paused for breath. "I'll ease off her. But talk to her about paying attention."

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 10:07 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
[...]

T'ryn blinked, caught off guard by the agreement to ease up on
Lennaye. He'd expected a fight, actually, and to not get one had him
reeling a bit. But, he'd take the victory handed to him.

"I assure you, I have, and will do so again, just to make sure it
sticks. Thank you for your time, ACM M'ayen."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146