Topics

That's Not My Firelizard. Its Brain Is Too Small. (ATTN: Alyx / ALL)

Jenna Cunningham

To say it had been an eventful morning was something of an understatement. Alyx had peeked into Cremsden's office at the tiny green before heading off to her lunch break. She'd learned some new things about artificial breathing and had her notes with her to transcribe more clearly while she ate a quick lunch. The room was it's normal busy self, but it still didn't take long to make up her plate. A chunk of herdbeast a couple rolls, some greens and some new dessert. Plus a small stack of scraps for Ardy, he'd been projecting his hunger for the last little while, so she added a bit more to his pile of scraps than she normally did.

Which as it would turn out, would be a very good thing. She sat at a smallish table which had a few empty seats and set her plate down. Ardy joined her only a moment later. Politely waiting his turn as she started to feed both herself, and him.
Asheran had done a double take as the young woman stepped past him unawares, and had hesitated only a moment before he turned to follow her, already rehearsing what he'd say to her when she stopped. Funny running into you like this. Or: What are the odds? I also like - and he'd fill in the blank with whatever it was she was going to do when he got there. He had an unsent letter clutched temporarily forgotten in his hand, a bit of scrap he had saved from his tanning lessons with a message to his sister, for her to have read to his family back home when she received it. The usual - updates on his craft work, and a promise to let them know as soon as there was more to write about, questions about the weather and the soil.

He followed Alyx into the dining hall with a sinking sense of disappointment, and let his conversation starter die unspoken. What are the odds? I also like food. But he continued to tail her unobtrusively, grabbed a plate and piled rolls onto it mechanically, even though he'd already eaten, and made his way over to the table as if by pure, magical happenstance.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked, indicating the one opposite the apprentice healer with a nod of his head, and furiously worked on what his next move would be, even as he caught a green flutter out of the corner of his eye, and felt something gnaw at his thoughts. The plate of bread rolls in his hand felt suddenly, woefully inadequate. "What -"

Alyx

Alyx started to turn towards Asheran, started saying "Not at all..." But with her attention otherwise taken, a tiny blue flit took this opportunity to grab Ardy's tidbit from her fingers, managing to get a chunk of her finger with it. Though it thankfully drew no blood the pinch sure did hurt, she yelped in surprise and tried to pull her hand back, but by that point the little blue had wrapped his tail around her wrist as far as it would go and was begging in the most piteous fashion. Without thinking she popped another bit into the tiny one's mouth. As easy as that the bond was cemented and she couldn't Not feed the poor thing. Ardy for his part simply seemed amused by the tiny interloper, and didn't seem to realize quite yet that he was now a permanent part of their group.

Recovering from her startlement, Alyx turned back to the young man, with his plate of food, and his own tiny problem brewing she gestured to a seat. "By all means. Sorry about that, where did these little ones come from?" That brief moment when the attention wasn't on him was enough for the tiny blue to creel and butt her hand imperiously. Ardy added his own  note, a scold for the little blue to be patient he would be fed. Which she promptly returned to doing, adding her own gentle scold "Hold on little one, you must chew or your belly will hurt, and then where would you be?" But the reassurance of both parties seemed to soothe the tiny creature who waited somewhat patiently with his mouth open for the next bite.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 9:09 PM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

Asheran reached across the table and snatched a piece of herdbeast off Alyx's plate as he slid into a seat opposite her, all thoughts of her supplanted by the keening little green lizard that had dug itself against his side, hanging perilously from his shirt, and then clawed up to wind about his upper arm and shoulder. He offered it the meat and felt immensely satisfied when the chunk disappeared immediately down the creature's throat, and at another keen reached across the table for another bit of meat, only to remember himself and his manners. He hesitated, then grinned apologetically. He felt - absurdly happy, as if he'd been vindicated to find that some small part of him was worth Impressing, even if only by a small little flit. The greater implications eluded him for the moment.

"Trade you bread for the meat? She's starving, and I only grabbed sharding rolls." Then he took a moment to process her words, and added belatedly: "Wherever she came from. Someone's bound to know something."

Alyx

Alyx chuckled softly and pushed the tidbit plate over between them. "Go ahead, and yes someone must know something, but we won't find anything out till these two are stuffed so, we'd best get about it eh?" She smiled first at him, then down at the little blue who sat with mouth open again, she popped another piece in, and Ardy, her bronze shuffled over to sniff curiously at the little blue, and then the green. He didn't remember being so tiny, or so hungry. He gave the hatchlings a soothing croon, and grabbed himself a nibble from the plate.

Now fed again, the little blue chewed and quickly swallowed, then peeped for another bite, which this time was delivered by the bronze, which earned the big bronze an absolutely adoring look, which distracted the tiny blue enough that he released his grip with his tail, which then knocked into Alyx's juice cup, spilling it all over the table top. Alyx cursed softly and started grabbing at napkins trying to clean up the mess.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 5:02 AM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

Asheran fed the green flit another bit of meat as he listened to Alyx, and found his apologetic grin morphing into a more genuine smile in response to hers. Between bites, he stroked the firelizard, tracing his rough fingers along its ridges and still damp skin. Then his eyes dropped to her bronze and a thought jogged his distractedly happy thoughts back to reality with the faintest whisper of worry. Wait, he thought, what about -

The spilled cup startled him and he sat forward, reaching out to help mop up the mess. The motion dislodged his little green, though, who plopped into the juicy slick and rolled, wings flicking the mess to all sides of the table and floor as she struggled to right herself, wailing and wailing. So he changed tack, scooped her up in one arm, and held a wad of wet cloth in his other hand, mopping at the lizard and then the tabletop.

"Shells, what a mess."

And then he realised the wet cloth in his hand was tanned, thin hide, and he winced. The ink had run.

Alyx

"Poor babies, they don't know any better, at least not yet." Alyx scooped up her little blue before he could become involved in the messy fun, and popped another bit of food into his mouth to keep him busy while they finished mopping up the mess. She discarded the sopping clothes on an empty plate that someone had left behind. Not so nice of them...except it had come in awfully handy for her.

"Well wasn't that interesting? There now little one, hold on, here's a bite." She popped another bite into his mouth then sighed and grabbed part of her own lunch. "This certainly isn't how I was planning my break. But he's a cute little darling." She was looking him over carefully, making sure that as he was fed, that he was uninjured, because sometimes hatchlings got a few bites in on each other. But he seemed well, and from her somewhat limited experience with flits, she guessed he'd end up in the mid range for size. He was the vibrant blue of an autumn afternoon along the top with a blotchy lighter patch along his belly.

She had no idea yet what she was going to call him. But he was a cute little pest.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 8:58 PM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

"They are something," he agreed, crooning sweet nothings to settle his own down in the crook of his arm, and reached for a bit of meat with careful idleness, feeding it to the green again as he mulled over his own thoughts. There was that quiet, nagging uncertainty that sat at the back of his head, prodding at his earlier happiness.

"What do I do with her when I Stand again? It can't be too long, right?"

Alyx

"Oh shards, you're right, what will we do with them? Well there are people who take care of them for those that Impress, though most folks make private agreements. I can watch your lil gal if I don't impress. If we both do, I know some folks who'd watch them both. And I know Ardy will keep an eye on the baby for me, I can probably convince him to watch yours too." She hadn't thought about that at all, but when a baby shows up, desperately hungry, you don't really Think ahead, you feed them.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:09 AM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
"They are something," he agreed, crooning sweet nothings to settle his own down in the crook of his arm, and reached for a bit of meat with careful idleness, feeding it to the green again as he mulled over his own thoughts. There was that quiet, nagging uncertainty that sat at the back of his head, prodding at his earlier happiness.

"What do I do with her when I Stand again? It can't be too long, right?"

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran nodded dumbly, taking everything she said as the absolute truth - she'd done this before, after all, and he hadn't. He stroked the little green again, feeling himself settle a bit with the simple gesture, and rolled his shoulders, loosening up from a tension he hadn't realised had been there. He'd have to write another letter to his sister, and then - and then he remembered why he was in the dining hall in the first place, and let out a sudden laugh. He'd wanted to talk to her, after all, and here he was.

"You'll impress," he said automatically, genuinely believing it. "Without a doubt, you'll impress. You'll be on the sands with a - a," and he paused, unsure if talking about fantasies would automatically disqualify them, and then pressed ahead anyway, "a big gold nose against your elbow." And I'll be there, too, he thought wistfully. Bronze, or brown, or even blue. Any colour is okay. But when he pictured himself flying through the air, it was on the back of a heroic bronze dragon, leading the a wing through the air. And then, briefly indulging, he thought about flying her gold, the one she would obviously Impress, with the fastest, strongest, greatest bronze that had ever been clutched before - and then cleared his throat, centering himself again. Bonding with his little green, which he had already begun to think of as Felix (for better or worse), after a particularly dense wherry they had raised - and ate - growing up, had given his sorely mistreated confidence a bit of a boost. He felt like he was already a Wingleader, not a Candidate who had stood and failed to Impress.

Alyx

"Oh I hope so, I've got this one more shot. But if I don't, well it's not like I don't have a job that keeps me crazy busy sometimes. Even if I don't I have plenty of friends who have, and likely still will. So I'll not be lacking in anything." It had always been important to her to be needed, to find some place that she belonged. Other than that, and a wistful hope to one day Impress she'd not given much thought to her future.

While she was talking, she kept feeding the little blue who was quickly growing quiet, and sleepy. The tiny one waddled over to where her bronze, Ardy sat with his tail curled around his hind legs, delicately picking at bits of food. The little one, crawled over his new brother's tail, and with a big yawn curled up inside the loop of the bronze's tail.

Now that he was obviously well fed, Alyx started trying to get more of her own lunch in, her break wouldn't last too much longer. And she needed to eat. At least that's what Cremsden was always telling her.

Jenna Cunningham

"Right, of course." He felt awkward watching her eat, and busied himself with caressing the sides and neck of his green flit to hide it, occasionally slipping the lizard a bit more pilfered meat. He left the rolls untouched on his plate; he had already eaten, stuffing his face with gusto then, and his stomach turned over at the thought of cramming down more food for the sake of appearances. Or maybe his stomach flipped for another reason entirely; he felt the thrill of an adrenaline high starting suddenly.

"Would you want to - could I walk you to your next lesson?" He wondered if his Hold sensibilities were showing, and hoped not. "For the flits, and because I'd like to."

Alyx

It was an unexpected question, but not one that bothered her much. She smiled at him after a moment and swallowed quickly since it was hard to talk with food in your mouth. "I, uh sure. I'd like that. I've only got to go back for a couple hours. I started early this morning." She  sat back after a moment and considered for a moment then decided to go ahead and go for it. "I get off mid-afternoon, if you've got some free time we could go for a walk or something?"

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:07 PM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
"Right, of course." He felt awkward watching her eat, and busied himself with caressing the sides and neck of his green flit to hide it, occasionally slipping the lizard a bit more pilfered meat. He left the rolls untouched on his plate; he had already eaten, stuffing his face with gusto then, and his stomach turned over at the thought of cramming down more food for the sake of appearances. Or maybe his stomach flipped for another reason entirely; he felt the thrill of an adrenaline high starting suddenly.

"Would you want to - could I walk you to your next lesson?" He wondered if his Hold sensibilities were showing, and hoped not. "For the flits, and because I'd like to."

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran grinned despite himself, and the little green firelizard - Felix, he decided, definitely Felix - let out a sleepy, pleased little croon before settling back into the crook of his arm to sleep. Today was shaping up to be a pretty good day, all things considered, and shells if he'd let this be the highlight. He ran through his schedule in his head, and wondered if he could count on his bunk mate to cover for him if he played sick and skipped cleaning out the tanning vats. And even if he couldn't - he'd... make the time, or find it somewhere. He wasn't going to turn up to court a young woman reeking of old piss and wet hide.

"I'm free then," he sort of lied. "A walk sounds good."

Alyx

"Well  I need to be getting back to work." Alyx said as she stood, and carefully scooped up the tiny blue, whom she still had no idea what to call, from Ardy's tail, for now, she tucked him into a shirt pocket. She was hoping as sleepy as he was now, being full that he'd sleep out the rest of her shift as long as she left him in the bronze's care, and Ardy knew to stay out of the way.