Topics

Runner From the Barracks (Attn: Sh'ain/Garatt)

Kevin M

Sh'ain wasn't even entirely sure why he still had a runner, considering how little he'd ridden it in the past Turns.  Of course, paying its upkeep wasn't particularly a hardship, and his children (primarily Shalia) enjoyed having Dancer around.  And now that Shalia was (finally) a weyrling, Rassia was taking care of (and presumably riding) the roan.  And it wasn't that he distrusted his near-daughter, precisely, but Sh'ain still found himself wandering down to the stables to see how the stallion was getting along.
--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

Garatt was working his way through making friends with all the runners in the stables. Why, he couldn't exactly say, save that they were there and it felt like something he could succeed at. Dancer was one he'd yet to approach and he was leaning over the stable door, making coaxing clucking noises with his tongue, trying to tempt the runner close enough to offer the orangeroot in his hand. "Come on then," he called softly. "Heeey, lovely boy, come on."

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 1:03 AM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
Sh'ain wasn't even entirely sure why he still had a runner, considering how little he'd ridden it in the past Turns.  Of course, paying its upkeep wasn't particularly a hardship, and his children (primarily Shalia) enjoyed having Dancer around.  And now that Shalia was (finally) a weyrling, Rassia was taking care of (and presumably riding) the roan.  And it wasn't that he distrusted his near-daughter, precisely, but Sh'ain still found himself wandering down to the stables to see how the stallion was getting along.
--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Kevin M

Sh'ain came up to his runner's stall and spotted a familiar figure hanging over the door.  "Be grateful that's not Dancer's sire," he called out lightly.  "Artaq would've already had your finger for lunch by now!"

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 04:57 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
Garatt was working his way through making friends with all the runners in the stables. Why, he couldn't exactly say, save that they were there and it felt like something he could succeed at. Dancer was one he'd yet to approach and he was leaning over the stable door, making coaxing clucking noises with his tongue, trying to tempt the runner close enough to offer the orangeroot in his hand. "Come on then," he called softly. "Heeey, lovely boy, come on."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

The voice was familiar and it took Garatt's brain a moment to realise why. He straightened up hastily, suddenly dismayed by an awareness of just how he looked. No Candidate uniform to be seen, his boots were all over runner muck, his hair had gone wild and there was straw in it and probably worse. Sh'ain had been one of the kinder of the ACMs and even so, he was abruptly trying to subtly tweak his shirt straight and hoping desperately he didn't have a smudge on his face. "Sir!"

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 3:13 AM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
Sh'ain came up to his runner's stall and spotted a familiar figure hanging over the door.  "Be grateful that's not Dancer's sire," he called out lightly.  "Artaq would've already had your finger for lunch by now!"

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 04:57 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
Garatt was working his way through making friends with all the runners in the stables. Why, he couldn't exactly say, save that they were there and it felt like something he could succeed at. Dancer was one he'd yet to approach and he was leaning over the stable door, making coaxing clucking noises with his tongue, trying to tempt the runner close enough to offer the orangeroot in his hand. "Come on then," he called softly. "Heeey, lovely boy, come on."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Kevin M

Sh'ain suppressed a smile at Garatt's actions.  As far as he was concerned, the Candidate (or former Candidate?  He wasn't quite sure.) could have been covered head to toe in runner muck and it wouldn't bother him, at least not when the kid was working in the stables.  Beastcrafting wasn't exactly the cleanest Craft around.  Sh'ain went to the stall door and did pretty much exactly what Garatt had done, although with a sugar cube he pulled out of his pocket instead of an orangeroot.  The runner huffed, likely smelling Rhyth on the man - no matter how he tried, a rider could never quite get the smell of dragon off him; it was even more futile than keeping canine hair off your clothes - but came forward to accept the offering, and an ear caress.  "How've you been doing, Garatt?" he asked quietly.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 10:50 PM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
[...]

This was it then. This was when someone came to tell him that he either had to come back to the Barracks or go home but he couldn't just hang around messing around with runners all day. At least they'd sent one of the nice ones. "Good, I guess," Garatt admitted in tones of utmost reluctance, telling the truth despite the voice at the back of his mind telling him to invent a terrible limp if it let him stay a bit longer. He watched Sh'ain with the runner, taking that distraction while he could. "Is-- is he yours then, sir?"

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 10:56 PM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

[...]

"Well, I'm the one paying for his oats, but at this point I suspect he considers himself to be Shalia's," Sh'ain chuckled.  "She's been caring for him for Turns now, while I've barely visited.  Really should change that, but..." His voice trailed off and he gave a bit of a shrug.  "There's only so much time in a day, y'know?"

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 06:06 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
This was it then. This was when someone came to tell him that he either had to come back to the Barracks or go home but he couldn't just hang around messing around with runners all day. At least they'd sent one of the nice ones. "Good, I guess," Garatt admitted in tones of utmost reluctance, telling the truth despite the voice at the back of his mind telling him to invent a terrible limp if it let him stay a bit longer. He watched Sh'ain with the runner, taking that distraction while he could. "Is-- is he yours then, sir?"

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

Garatt reached to stroke the runner's neck, more timid of the man than the beast. "The other one you mentioned, his sire, was he yours as well?"

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 1:41 AM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
[...]

Sh'ain nodded.  "Yeah, had him for several Turns before coming to the Weyr.  Carried me across two continents before I met Rhyth.  Also carried Cathern to a win in the Arolos Cup," he added proudly, assuming that Garatt would at least recognize the Telgar Weyrwoman's name.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 05:59 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
Garatt reached to stroke the runner's neck, more timid of the man than the beast. "The other one you mentioned, his sire, was he yours as well?"

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

Garatt had indeed listened enough in those lessons and his eyes went wide and round. "Not-- not the Weyrwoman Cathern?" Because obviously important people were far too busy for mucking around on runners. He was meant to be far too busy for mucking around on runners and he didn't really feel important at all.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 11:28 PM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
Sh'ain nodded.  "Yeah, had him for several Turns before coming to the Weyr.  Carried me across two continents before I met Rhyth.  Also carried Cathern to a win in the Arolos Cup," he added proudly, assuming that Garatt would at least recognize the Telgar Weyrwoman's name.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 05:59 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
Garatt reached to stroke the runner's neck, more timid of the man than the beast. "The other one you mentioned, his sire, was he yours as well?"

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Kevin M

Sh'ain laughed at his reaction.  "Sure, now.  Back then she was just another Candidate.  Although she was considered one of the favorites for Impressing a gold.  Then again, most people wouldn't have expected Kassia to Impress gold," he added with a shrug.  "Hard for any of us to know.  But I'm glad to hear you're good.  You're definitely looking better," he added quietly.