Topics

Party: Pardon My Clumsiness attn Miacca / Ronhim

kepheren

Well, Arolos Weyr certainly seemed to like it's parties! Ronhim had not been here for very long and had seen the hatching feast which had been a grand affair and now this. It rather made the young man's head spin with all the excitement. Still, for someone with very few social skills and a heavy dose of shyness as well it was also quite the intimidating prospect. As was usual for him he was watching from the outskirts rather than actually participating. He found himself trying to get his bearings and found himself shifting around nervously as new arrivals would crowd in around him.

Such anxiety can be a self fulfilling curse. He was so worried about getting in someones way and trying to give everyone else their space that he accidentally did what he feared the most; stepped right into someone. Being as large and sometimes clumsy as he was this was a common occurrence but Ronhim was so very worried about ruining this grand party that he turned with alarm to see what he had done when he felt the bump. Then his alarm really went into over drive.

It had been a girl he had bumped into. And not just any girl but quite a petite one, or at least petite when compared to his own towering frame. Even more distracting was how very cute she was. Ronhim became immediately tongue tied and flustered though he tried in his own way to set the situation right.

"Please excuse me," he stammered a bit with the words. " I....I did not see..."

The words felt lacking somehow and he stuttered a bit trying to get them out. It didn't look like any harm was done but she was so pretty and so small and what few social skills he had went immediately out the window. Some small part of him did recall seeing her before though. She was another candidate, or so he thought. Like with any other girl he had admired her briefly from afar but didn't think any further about it. Pretty girls in the Weyr had handsome riders and candidates to keep them company, not great clumsy lumps like himself.

"My n...name is Ronhim. You are a c...candidate too?"

Now this deep into it he tried to push on and at least try to get a polite apology out.

Mya L. R.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 7:04 AM kepheren <kepheren@...> wrote:
[...]

Crowds weren't that unusual for parties.  The more people milling around the party, the harder it was to avoid bumping into someone.  Miacca was more impressed that she'd woven through the crowd and made it so long without problem.  So someone bumping into her didn't surprise her that much, especially when she turned his direction and found herself raising her eyes further up in order to just get a better look at him.  His stammer made the apology sound rather sheepish, like he was unfamiliar with how commonplace bumping into someone was during parties.  "These things happen in a crowd, especially when I'm shorter than a person's eye level.  It is easy to see over me, isn't it?"  Miacca assured him, bumping her shoulder against his arm gently.  "Well Ronhim, I'm Miacca and yes I'm a Candidate too."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

kepheren

She didn't seem offended by his bumping her which relieved the big fellow a great deal. It also made him a bit self conscious though. He wasn't the sort of person most folks talked to. No, from his experience he was generally treated more like the furniture:  quiet and off in a corner till somebody needed something lifted out of the way. His Harper friend had been trying to teach Ronhim to be more out going and sociable but the lessons weren't coming easy to him.

"I'm glad I didn't hurt you," he said in a quiet tone raising his eyes to look at her and almost immediately blushing. She really was very pretty and that fact flustered him even more and made it harder to find the words he wanted. "I'm kind of clumsy some times."

He gave her a bit of a timid smile when she said her name.

"Miacca. It's a very pretty name."

Mya L. R.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:40 AM kepheren <kepheren@...> wrote:
She didn't seem offended by his bumping her which relieved the big fellow a great deal. It also made him a bit self conscious though. He wasn't the sort of person most folks talked to. No, from his experience he was generally treated more like the furniture:  quiet and off in a corner till somebody needed something lifted out of the way. His Harper friend had been trying to teach Ronhim to be more out going and sociable but the lessons weren't coming easy to him.

"I'm glad I didn't hurt you," he said in a quiet tone raising his eyes to look at her and almost immediately blushing. She really was very pretty and that fact flustered him even more and made it harder to find the words he wanted. "I'm kind of clumsy some times."

He gave her a bit of a timid smile when she said her name.

"Miacca. It's a very pretty name."

He really did seem to fixate on making sure he'd not hurt her.  "I am *fine*.  More than fine actually."  A pleasant smile spread across her face as those words left her mouth.  "I'm more surprised that it took so long to have someone to bump into me.  Running into someone in this crowd is pretty much as expected as...wrinkled faces over Numbweed."  Miacca paused, considering the analogy she just used, and couldn't help the small giggle that escaped from her.

Her smile widened as he managed to get out the compliment about her name.  It'd seemed like he wasn't comfortable around her, what with the seeming effort  on his part to make himself actually look toward her.  But, the timid smile left her viewing that more like a puppy that thought he wasn't doing enough to impress someone.  "It's sweet that you think so."  Miacca laid her hand against his arm in a more reassuring gesture than her earlier shoulder dump, though she let it drop away soon after.  "I'm not exactly great with determining stuff like that about names...or at least not with my own name.  Still well met, Ronhim."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

kepheren

His smile grew brighter as Miacca tried to reassure him. He wasn't very skilled in social matters but he could tell she was being kind to him and that made Ronhim happy. Happy and just a bit nervous if he was honest with himself. The blush was still there and his stammer but she seemed willing to talk to him for a few minutes despite all that.

"Numbweed?" he replied with a smile as she giggled. It was such an endearing trait to him and the big fellow actually chuckled a bit in reply.

"If you say so. Thank you for saying I'm sweet. A pretty girl has never said anything like that to me before. Your....really sweet too."

It sounded clumsy but it was the best he could do.

Mya L. R.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 7:37 AM kepheren <kepheren@...> wrote:
His smile grew brighter as Miacca tried to reassure him. He wasn't very skilled in social matters but he could tell she was being kind to him and that made Ronhim happy. Happy and just a bit nervous if he was honest with himself. The blush was still there and his stammer but she seemed willing to talk to him for a few minutes despite all that.

"Numbweed?" he replied with a smile as she giggled. It was such an endearing trait to him and the big fellow actually chuckled a bit in reply.

"If you say so. Thank you for saying I'm sweet. A pretty girl has never said anything like that to me before. Your....really sweet too."

It sounded clumsy but it was the best he could do.

Although clumsy, Miacca still found it adorable, especially in combination with the chuckle.  "Yes Numbweed."  Her tone came out rather lighthearted now about the topic, made even lighter by the bright smile on her face.  "My uncle is a Dragonhealer and I've been a Candidate since I turned 12, so I've been around when Numbweed is being prepared enough that I'm sure that Numbweed is where disgusted expressions originated from."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

kepheren

He tried to remember the smell of numbweed but was coming up with a blank. It wasn't as if he had ever been hurt often and when he was a simple drudge, particularly one nobody cared much for anyway, hardly merited fancy medicine. Oh, he had experienced it once or twice from a distance but the memory didn't stay with him so well while he was already distracted.

"I'll have to take your word for that," he said thoughtfully, putting the numbweed question aside for now. "But that must be helpful. To have been here for a few turns and to have an uncle who can heal dragons. I just got here and am still just amazed by everything I see.'

Ronhim was still nervous but her easy manner was doing a lot to help set him at ease.

Mya L. R.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 6:53 AM kepheren <kepheren@...> wrote:
He tried to remember the smell of numbweed but was coming up with a blank. It wasn't as if he had ever been hurt often and when he was a simple drudge, particularly one nobody cared much for anyway, hardly merited fancy medicine. Oh, he had experienced it once or twice from a distance but the memory didn't stay with him so well while he was already distracted.

"I'll have to take your word for that," he said thoughtfully, putting the numbweed question aside for now. "But that must be helpful. To have been here for a few turns and to have an uncle who can heal dragons. I just got here and am still just amazed by everything I see.'

Ronhim was still nervous but her easy manner was doing a lot to help set him at ease.

She paused, aware that she'd never really thought about how helpful it would be.  It was just something that she'd grown up with, but she probably did know more about how the Infirmary worked than newly arrived Candidates.  "I don't know how helpful.  It wasn't anything you won't eventually learn, especially since I was more interested in the Kitchens when younger...my aunt's a baker."  Her lips twitched some with amusement, but Miacca quickly carried on answering him.  "Where were you from before you came here?"

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

kepheren

His face brightened a bit at the mention of the kitchens. It was without a doubt the high point thus far of being at the Weyr. Ronhim had never eaten so well in his life! But he got a bit more sombre at the question as to where he had come from.

"Arolos Hold," he said simply.  "My job was to pick up heavy things and just do whatever they told me to..."

He shrugged a bit as his voice trailed off. It wasn't a subject he liked to talk about much.

"It's much nicer here."

Mya L. R.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 9:19 AM kepheren <kepheren@...> wrote:
His face brightened a bit at the mention of the kitchens. It was without a doubt the high point thus far of being at the Weyr. Ronhim had never eaten so well in his life! But he got a bit more sombre at the question as to where he had come from.

"Arolos Hold," he said simply.  "My job was to pick up heavy things and just do whatever they told me to..."

He shrugged a bit as his voice trailed off. It wasn't a subject he liked to talk about much.

"It's much nicer here."

Miacca couldn't help her giggle when she saw his expression brighten.  "Yeah, that is a fairly common expression I get when I mention Kitchens and baker together.  Along with maybe a little jealousy that I had an inside source for baked goodies."  She did pause to consider how he'd trailed off, less than eager sounding, when he was speaking about where he'd come from.  "Sounds like a necessary job but not one that'd have much variety unless you got lots of different shaped things to move.  Or maybe I'm just used to the whole rotating chore routine here that anything without the variety sounds like it'd get monotonous."

--
Member Name: MyaL