Topics

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others ((Attn: Namieh, Kassia, Any Boys))

No one could see the eggs without the Weyrwoman's permission. This meant passing a test if you were a girl, and automatic permission if you were a boy. The Weyrs were just as bad as the Holds, Namieh surmised from her short tenure in Candidacy. Unfairness was something she shouldered in stride, hatching a plan instead of feeling disheartened by the news.

The Candidate uniform didn’t discriminate by gender and she wore it loosely to hide what few curves she did have, pleased by its ghastly distracting colors for the first time since arriving. Tucking light brown hair up under a simple knit cap, Nami pulled out a few curls around her dusky face to give the impression of shorter hair and stole a look at herself in the mirror as she left the cots. This would have to do.

She joined the gathering of boys eager for their first peek and did her best to blend in, just another face in the sea of hopefuls. Nami had made few friends since arriving and this meant she wouldn’t be quickly recognized as someone out of place. She didn’t speak and kept her eyes down until the group was ushered into the Hatching Caverns, but then the spectacle was too much to resist.

Rumors that Impression could be influenced by touching eggs, by being near them before Hatching were abound, and she knew what she had to do. While the others were occupied with the speech that preceded their viewing, Nami lingered near the back before sneaking out of the Stands altogether. Down the stairs she went, reemerging on the ground floor and creeping against the near wall to avoid being seen by those above. The Sands were so close she could touch them, so she did. Hot! Shells, she would have one chance to do this and she’d have to be quick to avoid ending up with burned soles.

Nami broke off across the sand at a sprint, hoping to reach those gleaming golden eggs before their hovering mother noticed her presence. It was a fool’s errand, but she had to try!

Jenna Cunningham

"Well, there's two gold eggs on the sands this Turn, so I'm liking my odds," Asheran had joked to the uncomprehending boy beside him, who had only politely asked 'do you think you'll Impress this clutch?' when he caught a bit of movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned his head to follow the flutter and noticed another of the boys had broken off from the group and was edging toward the hatching sands. It took him half a second to realise what was going on, and then time seemed to slow down all around him. He felt his heart speed up, thudding in his chest, and adrenaline flooded his veins almost before he even realised what he was going to do about what he had just realised was going on. Some stupid, scrawny boy was - despite all the warnings - making a run for the eggs.

"Piss!" Asheran barked out in astonishment, and then he was up and running - jumping, really, going from bleacher to bleacher downwards at a mad sprint, abruptly gratified and a little amazed at how fast he was when it really mattered. All the star jumps and morning jogs, and he had never really had an excuse to flat out run until now. Then again, a face plant would probably kill him.

As the railing loomed up ahead of him, fueled by adrenaline, Asheran leapt - pushed off the railing with his hand, cleared it, and rolled as he hit the sands below, thrown off by the shifting, soft springiness of it. He popped back up to his feet at the end of the roll, though, stumbling from the forward momentum, and threw his arms out for balance.

But the boy had a head start, and distance on him.

Also, what the fuck was he doing? He was on the SANDS now.

"Felix!" He bellowed, and his fat little firelizard 'pinged' into existence above him, jade green wings beating around his head unhelpfully, as much summoned by his bawling shout as his prickling, adrenaline-fueled fear. "Stop that idiot before he gets himself killed!"

But Felix, panicked and confused, only landed on his shoulder, keening in misery, and gripped tight.

"Shards -- you! Stop! You're going to get yourself killed!"

Laura Walker

Candidates were Candidates and they did stupid things. Usually that was as far as it went. But then, usually, no-one had tried to attack the Weyrwoman.

Talith had been laid, apparently dozing, on the Sands, one eye half-open as he watched the entering Candidates. Compared to Foreth he wasn't a terrifying sight; but then compared to an anxious gold with eggs to protect few things were.

And then there was one figure, and then another barrelling towards the gold eggs and the brown went from comfortable and relaxed to on his feet in an instant, teeth showing in a snarl. Not so easily overlooked now; browns might be smaller than golds but those teeth regularly tore apart herdbeast and right now he was dealing with two possible threats arrowing towards his gold eggs and his queen.

(('TAL! WE'RE BEING ATTACKED!)) he warned at the top of his mental voice, and that might have been addressed to his rider but he didn't bother shouting it privately. That shout went to every dragon as he arrowed in on the closest danger -- Asharan as it happened.

There was a moment where it looked as though he intended to swallow the boy whole, or possibly bite him in half. In the cluster of remaining Candidates one of the boys - Garatt - screamed. It was one thing seeing dragons lounging comfortably from a distance, quite another seeing an angry dragon ready to attack. But Talith had had turns of gentle play with his rider, and knew well enough how to close his teeth gently around the boy's body, lifting him off the ground without harming a hair on his head.

One danger taken care of. Truenoth or Foreth would have to grab the other.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 5:02 AM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

sailyn2

Talith might have been gentle, but Foreth  had had multiple times of people going onto the Sands too early. And then when she'd had a golden egg before, it was stolen from her and she'd had a long time thinking that the egg was gone forever. The eggs were far from ready to be touched by human hands and that was a bad thing. The "boy" might have had a much worse fate had she been looking in that direction or the the boy had gotten closer. As it was, they were about to be in a  world of hurt as her tail snapped out. Before she'd broken bones just by being ticklish, this time she meant to hurt. The hit sent the person flying.

Jenna Cunningham

When the brown dragon reared up and bared his teeth, Asheran felt his blood run cold while the primitive monkey parts of his brain shrieked in mindless terror. His legs kept pumping, though, and he kept moving forward; in fact, he put on a last, desperate burst of speed. He had to reach the boy before he was eaten, or bit in half. Stupid, stupid, idiot baby.

Then the dragon was coming toward him and he threw up his hands in a futile gambit to protect his face - and found himself lifted into the air, held in the dragon's mouth. He twisted, struggling instinctively against those gentle teeth, and let out an impotent bellow. He found himself scanning the sands, watching for the boy he had been chasing, as he fought mid-air, thinking: no, no, no, no.

There! He could still get to him, someone had to get to the other candidate before he got himself hurt --

Then there was the hit.

Asheran went limp in Talith's mouth, as if he'd been struck too.

"Shit!"

He said other things, too, none of which bore repeating.

Laura Walker

And the struggling earned him a growl, meaty breath sweeping over him and Talith's teeth tightening slightly around his body. Not enough to injure - Talith knew very well just how little it took to break the delicate skin of a human - but enough to add slight uncomfortable pressure against the boy's skin. He had no intention of this one escaping.

((We caught them,)) he said to R'tal, to Foreth and to Truenoth. ((But are there more?))

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 12:41 PM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

When you saw dragons in the distance - or even close up - they looked like giant friendly mountains. Garatt had almost forgotten how terrifying they might be if they really decided to put their mind to it.

His initial scream had escaped when it had looked as though the giant brown dragon had been going to eat someone. And then the gold too had lashed out and the other boy had just been batted away like nothing at all and the brown was still holding the other boy as though he might reserve him for a later snack and and and--

Suddenly seeing eggs didn't seem so much like a fun trip out any more. Breakfast came rushing back up and Garatt tottered a few steps away to vomit at the side of the Sands, abruptly wanting to be anywhere but right here, right now.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 12:49 PM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
[...]

Foreth looked around. The Caverns looked clear otherwise except for the boys in the Stands.

((No more,)) she said. She added to Kassia. ((Get them out. All of them!))

Kassia was already on her way in, as was a couple of guards. There were extras there just to be careful. Apparently for this reason. She waved at Talith. "Don't hurt him."

"We'll take him from here, if you put him down," said one of the guards.

Kassia turned to the boys in the Stands. "OUT!" she yelled. "ALL OF YOU! Out or you're banned from the Sands."

Aaron

And the struggling earned him a growl, meaty breath sweeping over him and Talith's teeth tightening slightly around his body. Not enough to injure - Talith knew very well just how little it took to break the delicate skin of a human - but enough to add slight uncomfortable pressure against the boy's skin. He had no intention of this one escaping.

((We caught them,)) he said to R'tal, to Foreth and to Truenoth. ((But are there more?))

Truenoth reached out as far as he dared without losing contact with or putting too much pressure on the eggs he guarded, his teeth bared.

((If there are more, I will... collect them. And I doubt I am so well practiced at gentleness of jaw as are you, my friend,)) he said, letting those nearby hear him ad well.

Laura Walker

Talith leaned to drop the boy onto the Sands - not especially gently and from a distance of several feet from the ground, but he probably wouldn't break anything. Then he put a foot over him. ((He was trying to escape.))

"Kass!" It turned out that after an actual attack people did start taking safety seriously. At least B'lin did - he'd turned and bolted towards the Sands at Talith's shout of alarm. He arrived a little breathless and very worried. "Are  you all right?"

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:48 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Foreth looked around. The Caverns looked clear otherwise except for the boys in the Stands.

((No more,)) she said. She added to Kassia. ((Get them out. All of them!))

Kassia was already on her way in, as was a couple of guards. There were extras there just to be careful. Apparently for this reason. She waved at Talith. "Don't hurt him."

"We'll take him from here, if you put him down," said one of the guards.

Kassia turned to the boys in the Stands. "OUT!" she yelled. "ALL OF YOU! Out or you're banned from the Sands."

Jenna Cunningham

"I could have stopped him! I nearly had him!" Asheran shouted in helpless anger as soon as he was dropped, and felt his legs go out from under him, abruptly jellied, sealing his fate to sprawl ass over end on the ground. He was breathing hard - panting really - and tears stung the corners of his eyes. He was soaked in sweat - not good post-workout sweat, but the sour smelling sweat of adrenaline and panic. He didn't feel panicked though, only defeated. The claw that caged him in against the hot sands confused him, and then put things into perspective. He was too emotionally wrung out to protest. Had he just watched someone die? Was the other boy okay?!

"Somebody should get a Healer, call a Healer!"

sailyn2

Foreth had turned around in this time and at the arrival of the running man, her head snapped out, pushing her head between him and B'lin.

"It's just B'lin, love," Kassia said hastily, putting herself between him and her irate gold.

Foreth pulled back and settled back over her eggs. ((Someone go get that one that I flung,)) she said, not because she worried about the Candidate's welfare but because she didn't want the Candidate to get away. Talith had the other invader nicely entrapped.

Meanwhile guards were starting to arrive from all over, alerted to Talith's cries from nearby riders.

It had all happened so fast. Namieh expected to be followed, she knew they would try to stop her the moment she was discovered. A boy's shouts rang out behind her but she didn't dare look back. Shells, he was going to ruin everything! What she hadn’t counted on was what came next - movement, fast and furious.  She saw the gold shift, heard a commotion start in the Caverns followed by screams, but Namieh had time only to gasp as the dragon's tail came swinging at her.

The force of it knocked the wind out of it knocked the wind out of her, silencing her own scream that otherwise would have sounded. Pain exploded in her midsection.  Suddenly, she was sailing through the air! Namieh couldn't make sense of anything before her small frame hit the far wall with a sickening thud. The only movement was the ragged breaths taken instinctively.

Alyx

Lerian had been in absolute shock that the boy had taken off across the sands like that, but hadn't been really surprised with Asheran following him. He'd expected that sort of thing from his friend. He'd almost gone too, but the boy next to him had gone pale, screamed, then stumbled a few steps to be sick in fear. Lerian walked over to him and pushed him gently over so his head was between his knees. "Just breath." He said softly. Then they were all being ordered out. Not wanting to miss his, chance, or to leave the other kid behind, Lerian bent down and pulled Garatt's arm over his shoulder.

"Come on let's go get a drink or something, wash that taste out of your mouth yea? We can go see the healers if you need too. Some of them are real nice."

Garatt hadn't wanted to look at the kid who'd been knocked across the Cavern but it was as though his eyes couldn't help themselves. His eyes sought out the crumpled heap of what had been a Candidate and he swallowed, turning his head away and letting Lerian lead him out, trying not to be sick again.

"Do you think he's.. dead?" he asked in a whisper.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 4:07 AM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@...> wrote:
Lerian had been in absolute shock that the boy had taken off across the sands like that, but hadn't been really surprised with Asheran following him. He'd expected that sort of thing from his friend. He'd almost gone too, but the boy next to him had gone pale, screamed, then stumbled a few steps to be sick in fear. Lerian walked over to him and pushed him gently over so his head was between his knees. "Just breath." He said softly. Then they were all being ordered out. Not wanting to miss his, chance, or to leave the other kid behind, Lerian bent down and pulled Garatt's arm over his shoulder.

"Come on let's go get a drink or something, wash that taste out of your mouth yea? We can go see the healers if you need too. Some of them are real nice."

Alyx

"Nah, Foreth wouldn't kill him. He's just a dumb kid. But I bet he gets sent home in disgrace. He should after that stupid stunt. I just hope Asheran's alright. He's a good one, he was trying to stop that dumb kid getting hurt." Lerian shook his head in disgust at the antics of the younger boy and trying to reassure Garatt.

"I mean...you don't mess with broody queens. Everyone ought to know that. Most of the others are pretty friendly though. You want to get to know them, go to the lake. They love help at bath time."

sailyn2

Talith's panicked yell had brought attention to T'rif who came running. He spotted the Candidate laying prone on the ground and ran over to her. "Hello? Hello? Can you hear me?"

Namieh did little more than groan piteously when spoken to, disoriented and in a great deal of pain. Her crumpled form shuddered as she tried to move and discovered *everything* hurt, but she was undoubtedly alive. The feminine note to her quiet, terrified sobs was unmissable.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 5:32 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Talith's panicked yell had brought attention to T'rif who came running. He spotted the Candidate laying prone on the ground and ran over to her. "Hello? Hello? Can you hear me?"

Laura Walker

"But that gold just-- I mean--" Garatt swallowed and turned his head despite himself to glance back to the slumped Candidate. Only one of the ACMs seemed to be doing anything at all to help him. "And-- and they don't even care!"  he added in a quiet hiss, vaguely aware that might not be a popular thing to be upset about just now. Almost that was worse, that someone could get hurt that badly and mostly people would react by being angry at them.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 3:59 AM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@...> wrote:
"Nah, Foreth wouldn't kill him. He's just a dumb kid. But I bet he gets sent home in disgrace. He should after that stupid stunt. I just hope Asheran's alright. He's a good one, he was trying to stop that dumb kid getting hurt." Lerian shook his head in disgust at the antics of the younger boy and trying to reassure Garatt.

"I mean...you don't mess with broody queens. Everyone ought to know that. Most of the others are pretty friendly though. You want to get to know them, go to the lake. They love help at bath time."

Alyx

"Oh they care alright. He'll get treated and fixed up. But you saw what happened, would You want to run up on protective momma there? I know I wouldn't. Even the Weyrwoman's staying back till she calms down." Lerian didn't blame her at all Foreth could be scary at times.