Topics

On my foot again (attn Zy'fen/Cuylar)

Amy Frazey

It had been more than six months since the loss of his left leg, and they had been very long months indeed. They had also been full of ups and more than enough downs. But now, Zy'fen had decided he'd had enough. It was time to get off his cot and try to have some sort of life. Of course, Nerenth had a lot to do with this. The brown's stubborn refusal to give up had finally gotten through to His rider.

To that end, Zy'fen had managed to get himself sitting up on the edge of his cot, and was trying to get the attention of the nearest Healer.

Aaron

To that end, Zy'fen had managed to get himself sitting up on the edge of his cot, and was trying to get the attention of the nearest Healer.

Cuylar's bottom half kept going for half a second even when his top half looked up from his clipboard to see Zy'fen waving for him. He lowered the page back to the board, righted himself, and then turned back.

"How can I help you, Zy'fen?" he asked.

Amy Frazey

(OOC- amending this down to 3 months instead of 6, sobitbwould be just after the Gather)

Amy Frazey

"I need to get up out of this cot and back on my...foot. I need to take care of Nerenth. Could you find some crutches and help me stand up? Please, I need to get moving." Zy'fen was glad it was a Male healer who had stopped, it was less embarrassing, somehow.

Aaron

"I need to get up out of this cot and back on my...foot. I need to take care of Nerenth. Could you find some crutches and help me stand up? Please, I need to get moving." Zy'fen was glad it was a Male healer who had stopped, it was less embarrassing, somehow.

Cuylar smiled broadly. That was the attitude he had been hoping to see from Zy'fen for... well, for at least a couple of months.

"Of course, sir," he said. The Healers had already set aside crutches for this very purpose, keeping them ready for when Zy'fen was. They should have been fairly close to the right height already, and they had pins that could be moved to adjust the height a bit, too.

"Here we are." Cuylar returned. And if Zy'fen was ready to get started, Cuylar's thoughts already turned again to fitting him for a prosthetic like Haygen's. He leaned the crutches against the side of Zy'fen's cot. "I'll sit next to you and then stand up with you. Good?"

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen knew he'd let the sudden change in his life get him down, but now he was done with that. Nerenth needed him, and he was more than ready.

So when Cuylar -Zy has to think hard to recall the Healer's name- smiled and rushed to bring him a pair of crutches,  Zy'fen nodded his gratitude, though he wasn't quite up to smiling just yet.

{{It's about time you got up.}} Nerenth had to add his opinion, though the thought was colored with approval and relief. {{Now things can at least somewhat go back to normal.}} It wasn't hard to tell that the brown dragon was more than happy to see His rider climbing out of the hole of apathy and depression.

Zy'fen nodded again when Cuylar offered to help him stand, and pushed his uneasiness away. ((This will be hard work, Nerry.)) He put an arm around Cuylar's shoulder, then heaved himself to his foot with the other man's help.

For a moment, his head spun, and he almost lost his balance, but managed to stay upright by leaning on Cuylar a bit. "Well, that's the first step, right?"

Aaron

Zy'fen nodded again when Cuylar offered to help him stand, and pushed his uneasiness away. ((This will be hard work, Nerry.)) He put an arm around Cuylar's shoulder, then heaved himself to his foot with the other man's help.

For a moment, his head spun, and he almost lost his balance, but managed to stay upright by leaning on Cuylar a bit. "Well, that's the first step, right?"

"The first one can often be the hardest," said Cuylar. He smiled and helped Zy'fen get balanced on the crutches. "It'll take some work, but before you know it, you'll be strong enough to get anywhere you could before."

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen nodded. "I'm no stranger to hard work. I know it won't be easy. But it'll be worth it. I won't be able to go everywhere I used to, though. Flying is off limits for me now, I think." He didn't sound as down about that as he might have before, but clearly still wasn't happy about it. "But first, can you take me somewhere to get  a real bath, instead of just a sponge down?"

Aaron

Zy'fen nodded. "I'm no stranger to hard work. I know it won't be easy. But it'll be worth it. I won't be able to go everywhere I used to, though. Flying is off limits for me now, I think." He didn't sound as down about that as he might have before, but clearly still wasn't happy about it. "But first, can you take me somewhere to get  a real bath, instead of just a sponge down?"

"You bet," said Cuylar, and he obligingly began to help Zy'fen to the baths. His other duties were not so pressing that he could not help with this now. "No flying for now, maybe. But maybe not forever," he said.

Amy Frazey

It took some doing, and more than a few minutes, to get to the baths and into the water. Zy'fen almost fell over more than once. It was difficult to adjust his center of balance to compensate for the missing part. But the hot water was well worth all the trouble. And being completely clean for the first time in months was beyond wonderful.

When he was clean and mostly dry once more, Zy'fen gave Cuylar a frustrated look. Something had been bothering him from time to time, but he hadn't really addressed it until today. "How do I stop my leg from itching and hurting?"

Aaron

When he was clean and mostly dry once more, Zy'fen gave Cuylar a frustrated look. Something had been bothering him from time to time, but he hadn't really addressed it until today. "How do I stop my leg from itching and hurting?"

"The missing bit?" Cuylar asked. "The heat from the bath can help, or a hot compress if you don't have time for that. Deep breathing and relaxation, too. Aside from that, massaging the bit that's left and willowbark, both of which I can also help with."

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen nodded. "It's weird to feel the ghost of my leg. Sometimes it feels like it's twitching, or itchy. Sometimes it just hurts. Why do I feel like it's still there?"

Aaron

Zy'fen nodded. "It's weird to feel the ghost of my leg. Sometimes it feels like it's twitching, or itchy. Sometimes it just hurts. Why do I feel like it's still there?"

"Mixed up signals from your brain is our best guess," said Cuylar. "Makes as much sense as anything else, given what tends to help."