Topics

Of Sound Mind? (Attn: Torrela/Namieh)

Laurie

Torrela had wanted to go speak with the Candidate who endangered the eggs right away, but hadn't. Mainly because the girl had been on pain medications and if the mindhealer were going to work with her, she wanted her to at least be coherent. So she waited several days for the fog to clear, then one day peeked into the girl's--she looked at the chart, Namieh--alcove.

"Hello. Are you up for some company?" Torrela asked.

Namieh looked up from where she sat in bed at the unexpected visitor, surprised to meet someone who hadn't been in the rotation of Healers tending to her injuries. While she was eager for conversation, after Asheran's confrontation, she felt wary and apprehensive about a stranger.

"I guess that depends," the girl answered. "You here to yell at me?"

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 2:29 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Torrela had wanted to go speak with the Candidate who endangered the eggs right away, but hadn't. Mainly because the girl had been on pain medications and if the mindhealer were going to work with her, she wanted her to at least be coherent. So she waited several days for the fog to clear, then one day peeked into the girl's--she looked at the chart, Namieh--alcove.

"Hello. Are you up for some company?" Torrela asked.

Laurie

"Not unless you want me to," Torrela said. "I'm Torrela, Mindhealer. I thought that you may want to just talk without any judgement." She waved her hand to encompass the whole Weyr. "There are enough people out there judging you, talking about you, even blaming you that I think you need someone non-judgemental." And Torrela was all that. She spent her whole career learning to not judge people. Granted, there were those that she couldn't help it, but this slip of a girl? She wasn't bad, or evil. She just went about doing something the wrong way, and had to learn that actions had far-reaching consequences.

And it seemed that she had. Her lesson had been painful, brutal, and would haunt her for the rest of her life. Which, in Torrela's mind, seemed a bit too much.

"I must warn you, I'm not like other Mindhealers. Something you may find interesting, or you may find scary."

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 12:25 AM Ariel Rogers <ariel.aurora.rogers@...> wrote:
Namieh looked up from where she sat in bed at the unexpected visitor, surprised to meet someone who hadn't been in the rotation of Healers tending to her injuries. While she was eager for conversation, after Asheran's confrontation, she felt wary and apprehensive about a stranger.

"I guess that depends," the girl answered. "You here to yell at me?"

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 2:29 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Torrela had wanted to go speak with the Candidate who endangered the eggs right away, but hadn't. Mainly because the girl had been on pain medications and if the mindhealer were going to work with her, she wanted her to at least be coherent. So she waited several days for the fog to clear, then one day peeked into the girl's--she looked at the chart, Namieh--alcove.

"Hello. Are you up for some company?" Torrela asked.

"I do not want to be yelled at," Nami replied flatly. She had a hunch there would be plenty of that in her future as it was and she hadn't a doubt in her mind that it would come sooner than she liked; her heart raced uneasily with anticipation. She watched the other woman with suspicious eyes, a blatantly untrusting sort of girl if ever there was one. Hearing about Mindhealers was entirely different from interacting with them, but fancy, learned folked were all the same in her view. They had always seemed to have a habit of making Namieh feel less than for her upbringing, for her heritage, for her gender. At least here at the Weyr they were more open minded, from what little she'd seen so far.

"I've never talked to one of you before," she admitted more casually than she felt. Torrela was not immediately threatening and after her warning, Nami's interest piqued. "So I dunno if I'd even notice." With a pause in the pretense of consideration, though she'd already decided, the girl added with an affected sigh. "You can come in."

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 6:11 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

Torrela was amused at the girl's distrust. Not the amused of blatant superiority, but the amused as if she were sharing a secret. It was obvious this girl wasn't going to give her full trust to anyone, but that was fine. Because Torrela could wait. She was in the Weyr, and it would take a Wing of dragons to move her back out.

"Trust me, even if you'd never seen a mindhealer in your life, you'll know how unconventional I am. But, before I even start, want to tell me just why you went running off to touch the eggs? Why you couldn't wait until the whole class was led down to them?" If she told her, great. If not, it would come out eventually.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 8:59 PM Ariel Rogers <ariel.aurora.rogers@...> wrote:
[...]

Namieh swallowed hard at the question, though part of her couldn't help but to appreciate that she cut right to business. Despite a healthy dose of wariness, there didn't seem to be a reason to keep up the charade anymore. The effort was exhausting, but so were most things while she was recovering. "I.. I'd heard that you could rig a Hatching in your favor if you touched the eggs," she answered with the quiet reservation, fussing with the hem of her gown while her eyes focused there. "If I had a dragon, I.. I could go anywhere. Be anyone. Weyrwoman even."  There was clearly more to this reason, but she hesitated to elaborate.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 7:56 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

Well, now they were getting somewhere. Though there still seemed to be some hesitation. And what did she mean, she could go anywhere? But more importantly, were they not being taught properly?

"Had the Candidate Masters not told your class that the eggs were still too fragile to be touch?" Torrela asked. She pulled out her cards and started to riffle them. In order to get some answers, she would need some insight into her mind, and the cards would take her there quicker than all these questions.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 12:24 AM Ariel Rogers <ariel.aurora.rogers@...> wrote:
[...]

"They might have said something about that," she gave the neutral answer with a small, uncertain frown. If they had, she didn't remember it or hadn't been paying attention - not that it mattered now.

At the sight of playing cards, Namieh visibly perked. She missed her own deck dearly while in effective solitary. To see the Mindhealer shuffling a set casually made the girl tilt her head like a puppy surprised by an unfamiliar sound, unable to hide the physical manifestation of her curiosty.

"Do you wanna play?" She asked with a hopeful note.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020, 8:50 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

"In a way," Torrela said. She did have a normal deck of cards with her, too. "This is a special deck of cards. I grew up in a Caravan, the daughter of fortune-tellers. But when I started to follow in their footsteps, I found that the images on our decks gave people insights into their own minds. So I took up mindhealing, but I use the cards to help me with my diagnosis." She continued to shuffle, then pulled one card out.

"Some mindhealers use ink blots. I find this to be more fun for both of us--the Healer and the patient. If it makes you uncomfortable, let me know and I'll go back to conventional methods.  And when we're done, I do have a normal deck of cards and we can play a few games."

She flipped the card over to show an old man in white walking away from a lone trader and his runner-cart., but he was looking back at it.  Firelizards flew up in the background. The trees in the card were gnarled and ambiguous as to some people they could look threatening but to others they were just winter trees.

image.png

OOC: I'm using Lisa Hunt's "Ghosts and Spirits" tarot.  Mainly because I'm going to be working on a ghost story in the Three-Day Novella contest.

The card is the King of Pentacles/Coins. I like doing a combination using the pictures to enhance my readings, rather than just straight using the book meanings. I probably wouldn't have used this deck but when I pulled this card, to me it was a perfect jumping off point for Namieh.

The general key words for this card are: Enterprising, Adept, Reliable, Supporting, Steady

In Lisa's Little White Book for the deck, the meaning of this card is: Someone may enter your life who can offer you comfort and stability as you experience a possible transition.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 3:47 AM Ariel Rogers <ariel.aurora.rogers@...> wrote:
[...]

Namieh had seen decks of this nature before among the caravans when they could come through Igen, but it perplexed her to see them in the hands of someone who claimed to be a Mindhealer. Only luck-tellers had those decks in her experience, and the confusion showed clearly on her tawny face. She didn't have the knowledge necessary to understand the hidden meanings in the card that faced her, focusing instead on the imagery of someone leaving a cart behind and the twisted trees that surrounded it. "I don't like that card," she said with an air of doubt that manifested in the purse of her lips. "He shouldn't have left the wagon, anyone could take it while he's gone. Like those firelizards. Definitely gonna steal somethin' while his back is turned."

OOC: Sorry for the delay! That is a fantastic deck, I love this!

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 5:24 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Her response was classic abandonment issues. Torrela could see how the card could be viewed that way. Whenever she did this, the first card was usually something reminiscent of her patient's past.

She wanted to focus on the girl's past, which this gave her a gateway to, but she didn't want to frighten her off. Three cards. She'd start with three. Pulling another card from the deck, she placed it next to the first card. This one was of a woman, behind her were ghosts and skeletons. She was holding a pebble, and beauty and light were coming from that pebble.

"We're going to look at three cards, and then I'll talk to you about what you saw in them, and how I think it relates to you. What do you see here?" She tapped the card.

image.png

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM Ariel Rogers <ariel.aurora.rogers@...> wrote:
[...]

Smart alec that she was, the girl rolled her eyes at the thought these cards could hold some relation to herself. What a joke! She wasn't some fancy lady holding a bright glowstone any more than she was a robed lord with a cart. Inwardly, Namieh felt conflicted about the feelings this card's illustraion evoked, her eyes fixated on the darkness behind the woman rather than the light she held. "That's creepy," she commented with a squint. "All those bones and stuff behind her, clinging to her legs. Why's she watching that bright thing when she's got all that nasty stuff on top of her dress?" Scrunching her nose, Nami looked away. "She needs a hair brush."

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 3:48 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

Again. Interesting. She saw the flaws in everything, not the beauty. Despair rather than hope.

"OK, that's very good. I'm getting a good feeling about helping you. Now, the third card.

She shuffled again, but as she pulled one card, another was stuck to it. "Oops, guess it'll be two cards," she said, laughing. She lay them down. One showed several ethereal figures which seemed to be flying without a dragon. It wasn't clear whether they were  being sucked into a white hole, or flying away from it. Looking closely at the cards you could almost see different faces, but none as scary as from the last card.

image.png
the second card was a woman with feathered wings, standing before a girl-child kneeling on the ground. A firelizard was flying around the woman, and she was either teaching the girl, chastising her, or praising her.

image.png

Once Torrela got the answers from Namieh, she would be ready to determine her course of action.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 3:41 PM Ariel Rogers <ariel.aurora.rogers@...> wrote:
[...]

This game was better than being stuck here in solitary, and the longer it went on, the more curious Namieh became of the results. What would this charade tell about herself, she wondered. Was there really some secret meaning behind everything? She leaned forward to analyze the next two cards, studying the pictures. These seemed nicer to her for some reason, less threatening and uncomfortable. Pointing to the card of flying figures, she commented. "Pretty colors. Are they supposed to be flyin'? That's my favorite color." She gestured at the swirling blues.

Looking on the second card, her face adopted a wistful expression. This image she liked. She wasn't sure if it was the winged motherly figure or the kneeling girl, but some element of it resonated with her and made her miss the mother that had left her behind for an unknown reason. Her brows knit suddenly, distrustfully, as if rejecting the feeling. "I guess that one's fine, but I don't like it either." She lied.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 4:03 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

There was always a tell. Some people saw them, some didn't. But Torrela's profession relied on being able to read people. She saw the wistfulness in her face--it was there and gone so fast that if she hadn't been watching she wouldn't have seen it. But that coincided so nicely with the abandonment from the first card that if this girl was older, she'd think she was being played.  Shards, she still could be. But, for now...she was going to focus on the second card. Maybe the third.

"I can tell already that we need to work on your outlook," she said. "You see the worst in people, and, while that can help you survive, it can also rob you of what you want. Case in point--the Hatching.

"You were a Candidate. All Candidates would have been allowed to see the eggs, touch them, talk to them. Yet, you were so certain that you wouldn't be able to get close to them that you tried to take matters into your own hands." Torrela clasped her hands in front of her. "And yes, I know I'm only saying what you already know, but if you weren't so sure that the worst of the worst would happen then maybe all of this," she waved her arm to encompass the Infirmary, and by extension, the Weyr, "wouldn't have happened."

She studied Namieh, getting the feeling that if she kept talking the girl would completely shut down. "So. If you want to talk to me and try to get to the root of why you find it so hard to trust, I will talk to you. If you want to continue giving me insights into these cards, we can do that." Torrela gifted Namieh with a friendly smile. "Or we can just play cards. But not for money. Any hand I win, you need to give me insight into your thoughts. Any hand you win, you may ask me anything. What do you say?"