Topics

Like A Bad Penny Attn Larissa

Laura Walker

Someone from your character’s past either who they never wanted to see again or who they desperately wanted to see again comes to the Weyr.

Sooner or later jobs tended to get tired of Crelin. He'd do well enough for a while as a casual labourer, and then there would be an opportunity to go to a Gather he couldn't turn down and he'd blow off work for a day to go and then another two from the hangover after. Or he'd borrow money with a sob story and then never manage to pay it back. Or there'd be a fight when someone caught him cheating. Or, or, or-- there was always something.

And then, complaining bitterly about how poorly treated he was he would be off again. Off to find another place of employment with another story as to why he needed work.

He'd never tried the Weyr before, mostly because he suspected there were people there he owed money and other people who might feel poorly about Kel. Right now though it felt like it made sense. The boy was there and would surely be earning money by now -- good money too, riders made. And Weyrs were big places, he might never see anyone who wanted anything bad -- but there were probably more than a handful of people there who liked their cards. Maybe he could just stay a while, win big and then leave again.

He'd cleaned up to see the Headwoman. His clothes were still fairly obviously worn, but he was clean and didn't smell of alcohol when he sought her out. "Excuse me! Word was you could use men to help clear rubble."

Kevin M

Larissa eyed the man in front of her, suppressing a slight frown.  Thin to the point of malnourishment, looked to be well into his seventh or possibly even eighth decade.  Definitely not the sort that screamed out as being good at shifting large chunks of rock.  And after the explosion... well, random strangers showing up wanting to work set off an internal warning.  Add in clear unsuitability, and well...

The Headwoman made a quick decision; a good fit for the job or not, she wasn't going to turn away a possibly hungry mouth out of hand.  "We aren't actually hiring outside workers right now, but if you have good references an exception could possibly be made, ah...." Her voice trailed off, giving the man a chance to introduce himself.

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

"Crelin." He broke into a broad smile at the possibility of an offer, revealing a mouth of yellow, brown and gappy teeth. "My boy's a rider here at the Weyr. He'll speak for me." At least, he hoped Kel would. With a bit of persuasion.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 12:09 AM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
[...]

"Well, that will certainly help," Larissa smiled, pulling out a notebook and making a note.  "What's his name, and do you happen to know what wing he's in?"  As many people as there were at the Weyr, sometimes it was easier to find a rider that way.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 07:15 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
"Crelin." He broke into a broad smile at the possibility of an offer, revealing a mouth of yellow, brown and gappy teeth. "My boy's a rider here at the Weyr. He'll speak for me." At least, he hoped Kel would. With a bit of persuasion.

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

"Wing?" Crelin looked a little blank at that. "Oh, Kel's only a little thing." He gestured vaguely, somewhere halfway up his chest. "Shouldn't think they'll have him in a Wing."

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 1:07 AM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
"Well, that will certainly help," Larissa smiled, pulling out a notebook and making a note.  "What's his name, and do you happen to know what wing he's in?"  As many people as there were at the Weyr, sometimes it was easier to find a rider that way.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 07:15 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
"Crelin." He broke into a broad smile at the possibility of an offer, revealing a mouth of yellow, brown and gappy teeth. "My boy's a rider here at the Weyr. He'll speak for me." At least, he hoped Kel would. With a bit of persuasion.

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Kevin M

"Ah, still a youngster, then?" Larissa asked, making a note.  "Should still be in with the Weyrling Wing, then.  Why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself, Crelin?"

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 02:56 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
"Wing?" Crelin looked a little blank at that. "Oh, Kel's only a little thing." He gestured vaguely, somewhere halfway up his chest. "Shouldn't think they'll have him in a Wing."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

"Oh, I just do work here and there, y'know?" Crelin said. "Travelled with one of the trading caravans for a while, helping them load and unload and set up but then Kel was at the Weyr and they wanted to go back North so--" He shrugged. "Tend to find somewhere needs a bit of work doing, stop until it's done and then move on." He scowled a little. "Had a bit of a run of bad luck last job, Holder's son took a dislike to me so I was looking for somewhere new and someone said you needed rocks clearing. I can do that sure enough; can turn my hand to most things -- bit of clearing greenery for a hold that's not keeping up with it, bit of fence repair, or painting, or-- if it's needed I can do it." Which was a confident assertion for a man who looked more like he should be having a peaceful retirement somewhere.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 9:32 PM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
"Ah, still a youngster, then?" Larissa asked, making a note.  "Should still be in with the Weyrling Wing, then.  Why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself, Crelin?"

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 02:56 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
"Wing?" Crelin looked a little blank at that. "Oh, Kel's only a little thing." He gestured vaguely, somewhere halfway up his chest. "Shouldn't think they'll have him in a Wing."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Kevin M

"Bad luck, that," Larissa agreed with a nod.  "Well, I'm sure we'll be able to find something for you to do, especially if you have somebody here to vouch for you."  Of course, she'd be letting the guards know - not that it was likely they didn't already; the man had to get into the Weyr somehow, and most ways would have taken him past them.  "But in the meantime, feel free to get something to eat at the Dining Hall."

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 04:40 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
[...]

"Thank you, miss." Crelin touched politely where his cap might have been had he been wearing a cap. "I can turn my hands to most things if it helps," he added. "I've fixed a fair few fences, and done painting where needed too."

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 3:10 AM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
[...]

"There are always odd jobs to be had for a good man willing to work," Larissa replied.  "Go wrap yourself around some food, and I'll have somebody track down Kel to meet you there."

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 06:50 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
"Thank you, miss." Crelin touched politely where his cap might have been had he been wearing a cap. "I can turn my hands to most things if it helps," he added. "I've fixed a fair few fences, and done painting where needed too."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

Crelin didn't have to be told twice; it had been a while since the last good meal and he wasn't going to hesitate lest the offer be withdrawn. Another "Thank you" and he trotted away. Someone would doubtless point him towards the Dining Hall if he asked.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 1:45 AM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
"There are always odd jobs to be had for a good man willing to work," Larissa replied.  "Go wrap yourself around some food, and I'll have somebody track down Kel to meet you there."

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 06:50 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
"Thank you, miss." Crelin touched politely where his cap might have been had he been wearing a cap. "I can turn my hands to most things if it helps," he added. "I've fixed a fair few fences, and done painting where needed too."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Kevin M

After he left, Larissa leaned back in her chair, frowning slightly in thought.  They weren't bringing in new people much, but there was always some trickle, even now, and if he truly was related to a rider - even if the rider was still a weyrling - that would make a difference.  She nodded sharply.  Right.  Make sure the guards were aware, and chase down this Kel.  Hopefully not one of the newest classes, but either way the Weyrling Barracks was the place to start.

((Worried, but not dangerous)) Galen offered his insight from his little den.  If the bronze had thought him a danger, he would've made his presence known.

((That was my read also, dear, but I'll still check on him anyway.))