Topics

Isn't Arolos meant to mean surprise? {Jaseto, T'rif, any}

sailyn2

T'rif looked at her and tried not to let the surprise show on his face. How could she not see that this was an exciting thing? Well, he could try to explain it at least.

"It's exciting because even though it happened before, it's still a very, very, very rare occurrence. Especially after a rather weird flight. Plus, two golds means two gold Weyrlings which is interesting on his own. And boy was he glad that he wasn't an AWLM.

Kouga

T'rif looked at her and tried not to let the surprise show on his face. How could she not see that this was an exciting thing? Well, he could try to explain it at least.
"It's exciting because even though it happened before, it's still a
very, very, very rare occurrence. Especially after a rather weird
flight. Plus, two golds means two gold Weyrlings which is interesting
on his own. And boy was he glad that he wasn't an AWLM. <<

"I've been south now for several turns with my brother after we lost
our parents and it just always seems like Arolos Weyr always has
things going on that would be odd anywhere else. What would be so odd
about two gold weyrlings? Isn't it just two more weyrlings to train?"
Yes if her knots didn't give her away Jaseto would be easily picked
out as 'not from around here' by her questions alone.

*Kouga*

unhealthy." - Varric

sailyn2

"We're lucky and unlucky enough to have unusual things happen," T'rif agreed. "But still, two gold eggs is extremely unusual. Gold dragons are not usual dragons. A Weyr is likely to have at most five golds and those may or not all be golds of laying age. So we're looking at likely something like 40 gold dragons of laying age. Those dragons are responsible for all the dragons on Pern. The same dragons that save your life every time there's Thread. Without them, there are no dragons.  As harsh as it is to say, any other dragon could die and there's not much of a difference in a grand scheme. A gold dies and so does the person meant to lead the Weyr and also all the eggs she would otherwise have laid. Foreth alone has laid somewhere between 150 and 200 eggs in her lifetime."

Kouga

"We're lucky and unlucky enough to have unusual things happen," T'rif agreed. "But still, two gold eggs is extremely unusual. Gold dragons are not usual dragons. A Weyr is likely to have at most five golds and those may or not all be golds of laying age. So we're looking at likely something like 40 gold dragons of laying age. Those dragons are responsible for all the dragons on Pern. The same dragons that save your life every time there's Thread. Without them, there are no dragons. As harsh as it is to say, any other dragon could die and there's not much of a difference in a grand scheme. A gold dies and so does the person meant to lead the Weyr and also all the eggs she would otherwise have laid. Foreth alone has laid somewhere between 150 and 200 eggs in her lifetime." <<
Jaseto frowned at that, well she understood the golds had the eggs,
but it seemed as if there had been something important about there
being two in training at once which had actually been her question.
"But what is so different about having two instead of just one now and
one later? What difference does it make to have two gold weyrlings?
Don't they get training just like the others? I know I've heard
something about them and firestone I think so they use the
flamethrowers like the ground crews don't they? But wouldn't they
train just like all the others except that?" though even as she asked
she was intrigued by the numbers. She couldn't remember the first time
she head he name Foreth, though it had been a bit, but if this clutch
was normal and had less than 30 eggs that was a lot of clutches. How
often did gold dragons have eggs? Hmm she may have to try and look
into it because this really would be interesting to know. Would it be
worth trying to get Tesser back this way every time there was a
clutch? She had heard the hatchings were made into big things...

For now she supposed since she had an excuse she would just have to
wait around for this hatching and find out what all did happen.

*Kouga*

unhealthy." - Varric

sailyn2

"Ah, yes, there is a difference between having one gold and two," T'rif said. "One gold Weyrling can be demanding enough as they take extra time and training to do their future duties and how to keep their dragons from overrunning the other dragons and making them do things. Two golds means that much more time and resources put into the two of them. They also tend to be rivals. The last two were definitely rivals, but I don't think even if they liked each other that it would have been better. The two golds will likely compete and try to one-up each other, which could potentially be very dangerous."

Kouga

"Ah, yes, there is a difference between having one gold and two," T'rif said. "One gold Weyrling can be demanding enough as they take extra time and training to do their future duties and how to keep their dragons from overrunning the other dragons and making them do things. Two golds means that much more time and resources put into the two of them. They also tend to be rivals. The last two were definitely rivals, but I don't think even if they liked each other that it would have been better. The two golds will likely compete and try to one-up each other, which could potentially be very dangerous." <<
"So they get extra training as a Weyrling? I thought the Weyrlings
already had alot to learn, how do they have extra time to learn extra
things?" Jaseto would never claim to know alot about their training of
course, but what kid didn't complain when walking a gather even if it
was just briefly? She had heard Weyrlings complain before about their
work load and if it was true how did the golds have so much extra time
to learn extra stuff? "If they are in the same class why do they have
to be rivals? I thought riders were supposed to be able to control
their dragons, so couldn't their riders at least make them get along?"

*Kouga*

unhealthy." - Varric