Topics

I Promise I Didn't Steal Your Dog Attn P'ryn

Laura Walker

At some point, Garatt was sure, he would have to go back to normal life. Either the Candidate Barracks or his father's Hold, one or the other seemed inevitable.  But no-one had said anything about what happened next, not even his father. His father had mumbled something about MindHealing sessions being needed at the Weyr and that had been it and..Garatt wasn't going to ask if he was scared of the answer.

In the meantime he stayed with the BeastCrafters and some days that seemed so blissful it was terrifying, as though the contentment must inevitably end because he wasn't allowed to keep that kind of happiness. As his hand got better he progressed hesitantly (in case someone shouted) from hanging over stable doors talking at horses to grooming them. Then he started going to talk to the animals in the kennels left by Candidates and Weyrlings and no-one seemed to mind that either, so he started to help. The bigger dogs still felt like they might pull on his hand without meaning to but Scally? Scally was only a little terrier. He could walk her no problem.

Amy Frazey

Scally was thrilled to see the boy that was so close to her boy's age. She missed her boy, he had been gone for so long. This boy was almost as good, but he smelled injured somehow. Still, she began to bark as soon as she saw him, scratching at her kennel and yipping happily, eager to be let out.

P'ryn had left Robelth dozing in the sun while the oil soaked into his hide. It was a quiet night, and since he had some time, he decided to go see Scally while he had the chance. Whistling a jaunty tune, he headed for the kennels near the stables.

Laura Walker

"Good puppy. Good pup then. Scally, is it? Good Scally." Garatt dropped to a crouch to fuss over her before he hooked on her lead. "You want to come for a walk then, girl? Have a bit of a leg-stretch?" It was easier to talk to animals. They didn't talk back. didn't ask questions that caught you out, didn't make you fumble around looking for the right words. Garatt was quite happy to chatter to a dog, soothing nonsense as he walked her out of the kennels.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 1:52 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Scally was thrilled to see the boy that was so close to her boy's age. She missed her boy, he had been gone for so long. This boy was almost as good, but he smelled injured somehow. Still, she began to bark as soon as she saw him, scratching at her kennel and yipping happily, eager to be let out.

P'ryn had left Robelth dozing in the sun while the oil soaked into his hide. It was a quiet night, and since he had some time, he decided to go see Scally while he had the chance. Whistling a jaunty tune, he headed for the kennels near the stables.

Amy Frazey

Scally was yipping and jumping at Garatt as he let her out, and she stood up on her hind legs, forepaws on his leg until he crouched down. Then she tipped her head so he could scratch some of the itchy spots. And the instant he had her leash on, she began to pull, wanting to run.

P'ryn had a grin on his face as he came in sight of the kennels, looking forward to seeing the little black scamp. And his grin widened when he heard her barking.  But when he saw her with a boy he didn't really recognise, P'ryn slowed for a minute, and just watched.

Laura Walker

"I can't let you off, you know," Garatt apologised to the dog, though he did pick up the pace slightly. His walking still had a slightly odd gait to it; he'd begged off further numbweeding there as soon as he was able to stand it. The pain was preferable, but you grew used to wearing looser trousers and trying to walk in a way that meant they didn't rub. "If I did and you ran off I'd never catch you again."

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 2:14 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Scally was yipping and jumping at Garatt as he let her out, and she stood up on her hind legs, forepaws on his leg until he crouched down. Then she tipped her head so he could scratch some of the itchy spots. And the instant he had her leash on, she began to pull, wanting to run.

P'ryn had a grin on his face as he came in sight of the kennels, looking forward to seeing the little black scamp. And his grin widened when he heard her barking.  But when he saw her with a boy he didn't really recognise, P'ryn slowed for a minute, and just watched.

Amy Frazey

P'ryn started walking and whistling again after he was satisfied that Scally looked happy enough, and was soon enough within easy hearing range of not only dogs, but humans too.

Scally stopped dead in her tracks when a familiar sound reached her ears,  which perked up. Her tail, which had been happily bobbing back and forth, now began to wag wildly, and she alternated between howling and high pitched barks. The little black dog began to bounce and run in excited circles.

P'ryn was laughing as he finally got to the pair, and gave Garatt a jaunty wave, "Hey." before kneeling to get covered in wet, happy canine greetings.

Laura Walker

"Oh! Is she yours?" Garatt had stopped to stare at the dog in some bemusement until the reason for her behaviour became clear. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-- she looked like she needed a walk and I thought I should take her out."

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 9:04 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
P'ryn started walking and whistling again after he was satisfied that Scally looked happy enough, and was soon enough within easy hearing range of not only dogs, but humans too.

Scally stopped dead in her tracks when a familiar sound reached her ears,  which perked up. Her tail, which had been happily bobbing back and forth, now began to wag wildly, and she alternated between howling and high pitched barks. The little black dog began to bounce and run in excited circles.

P'ryn was laughing as he finally got to the pair, and gave Garatt a jaunty wave, "Hey." before kneeling to get covered in wet, happy canine greetings.

Amy Frazey

P'ryn looked up and nodded at the other boy, "It's a'ight. Scally, belay. 'm glad to see you too." He had to hold a hand up to get the happy black canine to settle down. Which was actually pretty easy, compared to a riled up Robelth.

" 'm glad someone can look after her, since I cain't be here too much." P'ryn stood up, and Scally sat pretty by his feet, panting and still wagging her tail. "Name's P'ryn." He held out his hand for the other boy to shake.

Laura Walker

"Garatt." He assumed the other boy was asking for the lead and offered it to him willingly enough, holding it out in his right hand. The left, bandaged hand stayed safe hidden behind his back. "She's a nice dog," he offered, not particularly good at making conversation but feeling that was safe enough. "Do you want to take her now then?"

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 12:42 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
P'ryn looked up and nodded at the other boy, "It's a'ight. Scally, belay. 'm glad to see you too." He had to hold a hand up to get the happy black canine to settle down. Which was actually pretty easy, compared to a riled up Robelth.

" 'm glad someone can look after her, since I cain't be here too much." P'ryn stood up, and Scally sat pretty by his feet, panting and still wagging her tail. "Name's P'ryn." He held out his hand for the other boy to shake.

Amy Frazey

P'ryn arched an eyebrow, but shook his head when Garatt offered him the leash. "Better not. I left Robelth fed and sleeping, but I cain't be gone too long. Ye go ahead and walk her, she looks happy with ye." He let his hand drop, but was curious about what Garatt was hiding behind his back.

Laura Walker

"Oh. You want to come then?" Garatt offered a little shyly. "I think she'll be sad if I walk away with her when you're here but I can bring her back when you have to go. If you want, that is."

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 8:49 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
P'ryn arched an eyebrow, but shook his head when Garatt offered him the leash. "Better not. I left Robelth fed and sleeping, but I cain't be gone too long. Ye go ahead and walk her, she looks happy with ye." He let his hand drop, but was curious about what Garatt was hiding behind his back.

Amy Frazey

P'ryn nodded. "Aye, I'll come along for a short walk. Ye're prolly right, she'd mope an' whine if I left off now." He gave the other boy a cheerful smile, then started strolling. P'ryn had heard the rumours, and knew what had happened to M'ayen,  of course. So he was being particularly nice to Garatt, and had no inclination to joke or play tricks on the boy. He also avoided any subject that might be touchy. "Ye like canines, then?"

Laura Walker

Garatt nodded. He would likely have been much more awkward around a fully adult rider, but P'ryn was his age. That felt safe. "It must be awful having to leave her when you Impress, is it?"

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 10:40 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
P'ryn nodded. "Aye, I'll come along for a short walk. Ye're prolly right, she'd mope an' whine if I left off now." He gave the other boy a cheerful smile, then started strolling. P'ryn had heard the rumours, and knew what had happened to M'ayen,  of course. So he was being particularly nice to Garatt, and had no inclination to joke or play tricks on the boy. He also avoided any subject that might be touchy. "Ye like canines, then?"

Amy Frazey

P'ryn thought about that for a moment, then shook his head. "I wouldn'  say awful. I missed 'er a bit. But Robelth .... Impressing Robelth was amazin'. I cain't really describe it. What we share is so much more. Even more than Impressing Nort."

Laura Walker

"Would he really mind if you had her with you?" Garatt looked down at the dog. Small, harmless and clearly very much in love with her young master, he couldn't help but think it seemed hard on her to be shut away from him.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
P'ryn thought about that for a moment, then shook his head. "I wouldn'  say awful. I missed 'er a bit. But Robelth .... Impressing Robelth was amazin'. I cain't really describe it. What we share is so much more. Even more than Impressing Nort."

Amy Frazey

P'ryn nodded and scratched the back of his neck nervously, a worried look on his face. "Ya, he probably would. Robelth is... " P'ryn shrugged, but didn't finish the thought out loud. He didn't think Robelth would really eat a dog or a flit, but...

{{Of course not. That wouldn't be any fun. And it would upset you.}}

Then a screech heralded the arrival said flit, who promptly settled on P'ryn's shoulder and began to scold him at the same time he was rubbing all over his boy's hair and face.

And Nort's sudden appearance made Scally start to bark and bounce at the blue flit to get his attention. P'ryn tried to shrug Nort off, but the flit's claws dug in and he refused to budge.

P'ryn winced, then winced again when Robelth gave a mental screech of his own, aimed mostly at Nort. {{Let go! You're hurting him! Begone!}}

But Nort refused to be cowed, and only dug in even more, drawing blood and making P'ryn flinch. "Nort, ya goofy thing, let go o me. Scally, belay!" He gave Garatt a pleading look. "Help me pry him off, will ya?"

Laura Walker

Garatt dug into his pocket and came up with a handful of treats -- he had intended them for the dog, but oh well. He held them out to the firelizard, keeping his hand flat. "You want to come to me? I've got food."