Topics

I Miss Having A Klah Monkey Attn Margana

Laura Walker

For the past two weeks your character has really wanted something. What do they want? Do they try to get it? How? Do they succeed?

"Margana." There was a coaxing tone in R'tal's voice, the one he mostly used on K'ren when he really wanted something and suspected K'ren would disapprove. "Margana, there's no klah left."

He'd eked out what he could get his hands on for as long as he could. Being Weyrleader did have certain advantages. But now it was also gone.

With Shalia it would have been easy. He would just have asked her to go steal it from someone. With Margana-- he looked at her hopefully. "Can you go see if anyone else has any left?" And then take it. With or without their knowledge. "The Guards might. They always have good klah."

Laurie

Margana looked up from the complaint she was reading. One person too many had come to her with stupid complaints, so now if they wanted to file a grievance, they had a form to fill out. Funny how it deterred 60% of the whiners. She was considering making the form even more obnoxious, to weed out even more.

"You want me to go steal klah from the guards?" she asked. "I'm not sure that would go over well. And I don't have the tight shirts and short skirts that Shalia did, so I doubt they'd let me get away with it." She did know where she could get her hands on some klah, but didn't want to show her hand yet.

"When are you going to replace Shalia anyway?"

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 5:27 PM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
For the past two weeks your character has really wanted something. What do they want? Do they try to get it? How? Do they succeed?

"Margana." There was a coaxing tone in R'tal's voice, the one he mostly used on K'ren when he really wanted something and suspected K'ren would disapprove. "Margana, there's no klah left."

He'd eked out what he could get his hands on for as long as he could. Being Weyrleader did have certain advantages. But now it was also gone.

With Shalia it would have been easy. He would just have asked her to go steal it from someone. With Margana-- he looked at her hopefully. "Can you go see if anyone else has any left?" And then take it. With or without their knowledge. "The Guards might. They always have good klah."

R'tal scowled. "I don't like getting new people in. They take too long to fit in," he grumbled. "Anyway, there's no point if there's no klah for someone to actually fetch." Never mind the hundred other little errands Shalia was regularly sent on. And certainly the klah shortage had nothing at all to do with his bad news.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 12:15 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

"I dunno. Shalia was pretty smart. We just need to find someone who's got some intelligence to them. I can do interviews..." Margana trailed off. Shalia had been helpful. Maybe Sh'ain had some other kids who could be as helpful. Or maybe Kassia? Eh, that would smack of favoritism. She would hold interviews.

Margana missed the klah just as much as R'tal did, but what she missed worse were the kitchen treats Shalia used to bring to them. Pastries, and meatrolls, and those little sandwiches made with flaked fish, relish and mayo. She hadn't had one of those since Impression, because they needed to be kept cold, and whenever she'd send a guard, she had no idea how long they'd been out in the open before coming back. Her stomach rumbled.

"That does it. I'm going to do interviews. I need someone to do other errands besides klah. That will be their test--to go get whatever we need, and how quickly and efficiently they do it." She put down what she had been doing and began to draft up a flyer, to be pinned in all the various Halls and Barracks.