Topics

I'm ordering you on a date...er rest ((WLM Ko'ssen, JM Hlr Vivaeldi))

TrueTricia

JM Hlr Vivaeldi shifted in the seat.  Her impatience was getting the better of her.  She wasn't used to waiting on others and having nothing to do.  And she wasn't used to siting in someone else's office.  She shifted again.  Still, she waited.  She'd actually cleared her schedule today.  She always said she'd clear her schedule, and sometimes V'ler actually made her do it to accommodate one of his fun days.  But she rarely took them for herself.  And today she had.  Well, sort of.

She wasn't sure why she had taken today off.  Except that it was a day where she knew the weyrling schedule was light, and she could hopefully convince Ko'ssen to take the day off as well.  Or at least a few candlemarks.  SHe liked him in a way she hadn't liked anyone in a while.  She wasn't sure what it was, so much as just the feeling of possibilities.

So she waited in his office for him to finish whatever meeting he was at right now...

TrueTricia

*Bump for Rosie

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 9:05 PM TrueTricia via groups.io <tricia.nicewicz=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rosiegirl

The weyrling schedule might have been light today, being one of the day off days, but that didn't mean that Ko'ssen wasn't keeping himself elbow deep in something weyrling related. It seemed that there was *always* something that needed to be done, some issue that needed to be addressed, or some lesson to plan out.

Ko'ssen finished the meeting he was at...with relatively little issue, but on his way back to his office he decided to take a walk through the barracks just to check out how things were going with the youngest weyrlings. Stopping to have a chat with a couple of them, ones he knew had been struggling since Impression, Ko'ssen eventually arrived back at his office a bit later than when the meeting had actually ended.

Tucking the folder full of various hides he'd carried with him under his arm, he opened the door to his office with one hand while his other raised up to rub at his temple feeling the headache he'd been ignoring since the meeting beginning to raise it's head again.

Seeing the guest that he had waiting for him in his office, a look of surprise crossed his face as he halted for just a second in his movements. Even though there was a hint of worry on his face, he smiled at the talented healer as he stepped into his office more and closed the door saying "JM Vivaeldi, I'm sorry to keep you waiting. Did we have a meeting scheduled that slipped my mind? Or is there something going on with one of the weyrlings?"

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 8:05 PM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
[...]

Vivaeldi had started to wish she'd brought some patient hides with her to work on while she waited.  This idea of nothing to do was foreign to her, mostly.  While she and V'ler didn't share a Weyr, sharing the ledge meant that they were constantly in each other's spaces.  The siblings liked it that way, but it also meant that she wasn't used to being alone very often even at home, and there was little privacy in the Infirmary.  So despite her bit of nerves and impatience, a part of her was also enjoying the calm respite.

When Ko'ssen walked in, she forced herself to stay seated and smiled softly, especially when he used her formal title.  "Viv.  How many times do I have to tell you to call me Viv?" she said.  She stood then, shaking her head.  "No, there's not a weyrling emergency."  She felt a little flustered, that of course his first thought was that she was there for some wlg issue.  "I actually came to see you."  She made herself take a breath.  She had been a rider for too long to be nervous about encounters or to be shy, but she still wasn't naturally the most forward woman to start with.  She was assertive in her craft, but in her personal life, less so. So it was no surprise that she reverted to her craft for a moment.  "I wanted to make sure that you're taking enough time for yourself.  I know you well enough to know that isn't likely unless someone reminds you to do so..."

Rosiegirl

Walking over to his desk and putting his folder of hides down on it, Ko'ssen turned to where Vivaeldi was sitting on the couch and at her reminder of the shortened name Ko'ssen gave her a rueful apologetic smile saying "My apologies, it's habit."

As she stood up and then clarified that there was no random whirling emergency, the worried look smoothed off his face and he waved that she was welcome to sit again. He'd half-turned, just about to offer some tea, a weak substitute for the highly unavailable klah, before she spoke again and he turned to look back at her with an attentive but polite expression. The poor work-a-holic WLM had no idea of the turmoil the beautiful woman might be feeling at those words, the meaning behind them escaping him. He could be really unobservant sometimes...

With her continuing explanation that she was just here to check on him, Ko'ssen couldn't help the embarrassed look on his face confirming her words that he'd not been taking time off. However, instead of flat-out saying that he'd not had time to take time for himself, Ko'ssen replied with "You do know me that well, always burning a candle it seems." After a pause to think *when* the last time he'd taken a break was, Ko'ssen then added a bit vaguely "I took some time off...a bit ago."

It was sometime...before a pair of twin golds hatched, maybe?....

Then, almost as if trying to avoid the possible 'Healer scolding' that he could foresee coming, Ko'ssen turned to his small stove and asked "Would you care for something to drink? Tea, or juice?"

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 9:37 PM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
[...]

Vivaeldi inclined her head at his offer.  "Tea, please.  I still can't believe that there's no more klah at the moment.  It had medical uses, above and beyond the obvious morning benefits."  She watched him, as he went to warm the water.  "We are alike, you and I.  My brother usually has to make me take days off or relax.  He jokes that the only reason he throws his infamous parties is for my benefit."  She chuckled lightly.

She had no doubt that Ko'ssen hadn't been taking time for himself.  They were much alike in that way.  Not to mention, Ko'ssen was new at his job, and was contending with double golds.  It was more likely than not that he was throwing himself into his work with little thought for himself.  But the truth was running yourself raw was not good for anyone, as she herself knew all to well.

"I know that excuse well.  'Some time ago' is translation for 'it's been awhile.'  I've used that before as well..." she smiled.

Rosiegirl

Nodding his head at her drink request, Ko'ssen moved toward the stove and in a series of movements that showed his efficiency with the small stove and that he'd taken advantage of it's proximity quite often to make drinks the WLM set water to boil  and prepared his drink tray to serve them both tea. As he moved, he listened to her bemoan the lack of klah and couldn't help agreeing with "Yes, those morning benefits...oh shells, I remember how hard it was to rouse myself without klah that first week...and not just me, but the weyrlings too...they were acting like it ran through their veins the way they complained over it being gone!"

As she compared the both of them being similar, Ko'ssen took a moment to glance over at her, his hands still moving to get tea ready. But as she finished and chuckled the only thing left to do was to wait on the water to heat up, so he walked over to sit in one of the chairs opposite the couch, leaving the couch where she'd been sitting already for her to take a seat again. As he sat Ko'ssen said "I don't believe I've been to one of his parties yet." He didn't want to admit that not only that, but he must have had his head buried in hides because he'd not even *heard* of these parties.

When she called him out on his excuse, hitting the nail totally on the head, Ko'ssen couldn't help the slight embarrassed look that crossed his face as he leaned back and crossed his leg, looking at her. Smiling back at her, Ko'ssen confirmed her thoughts with "Well, that 'some time ago'...just might have been a bit before the Hatching..."

Before he could continue though, the whistle on the pot started, signifying the water was ready. So the WLM gracefully rose from his chair to retrieve the pot, pour them 2 cups of steaming water, put them on the tray, and bring it over. Placing the tray down on the table between the couch and the chairs, the tray held their mugs of water, several different types of tea, and several different potential things to add to the tea (cinnamon, cream, mint, syrup, etc.), each thing in their own little small jars.

He made himself comfortable in the chair again and waved his hand at the tray saying with a smile "Ladies first."

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 9:11 PM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
[...]

"They weren't the only ones.  I'm afraid I wasn't much better, and neither were the other healers.  Especially with odd shifts, klah was so critical in helping to wake up.  Since I specialize in trauma care, I tend to have shifts that match Threadfall, so they vary considerably from one sevenday to the next.  It doesn't make for good sleep habits, I'm afraid."  She gave a small sigh.  "I guess we must get used to just the teas for now, though I do hope some of the Craftsmasters have been working on a solution.  I can't help but hope that somewhere there's still some trees left."

She was about to respond to him when the kettle whistled, and so she waited.  When he returned, setting the tray down, she gave a small nodd of approval at his setup.  "Quite the host, aren't you?" she remarked.  He and V'ler would probably get along, although they were quite different at first glance.  But like Ko'ssen, V'ler tended to be a very considerate and thoughtful host.  She selected her tea, adding cream to it, before leaning back.

"Well, I'll make sure you get invited to the next one, although they aren't as often here as they were in Igen.  But we'd been there for so long, so it was easier; here, the few that he's thrown have been much smaller, intimate gatherings.  And now that V'ler's a wingsecond as well, he doesn't have quite as much time as he used to."  When they were still at Igen, V'ler had also invited their old wing and Clutchmates to the parties.  It had been a way to help ensure that Viv still felt a part of the old friendships and bonds from before her injuries that limited her Threadfighting.  Here, that wasn't possible, and she had formed few bonds outside of her healer duties, even if some of them transcended patient/healer.

"Before the Hatching?  That was what, four, five months ago now?" she made a small noise of reproach.  "You do no one any good running yourself to the bone, Ko'ssen," she said softly.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 11:09 PM Rosiegirl <rosiegirl872@...> wrote:
[...]

With the kettle done, while he got the water poured Ko'ssen just nodded firmly in agreement to Vivaeldi's hope that there would be a solution to the klah shortage soon.

After setting the tray down and getting comfortable in the seat again, at her approving remark he couldn't help the small embarrassed blush to his face as he gave her a half smile. "Thank you...Viv." He replied to her compliment while she was preparing her own tea, with a brief hesitation before he added her nickname she'd been trying to impress upon him to use. "I developed the habit turns ago, back as a Wingleader."

He left off from explaining that the habit had been developed as a method of helping to put his wingriders at ease when they came to see him for anything, which had been very helpful with any ex-Fortian green and blueriders who still had trouble handling being in close proximity to any bronzeriders.

Once she was done fixing her tea, Ko'ssen leaned forward and prepared his. He specifically reached for the willowbark tea, hoping it would sooth out the small headache he'd had before walking into the office...before the small headache turned into a bigger one. Adding a little bit of sweetener and then some cinnamon to his mug, Ko'ssen was still listening to the healer as she spoke.

Pausing in his fixing of his tea at her offer to make sure he got invited, Ko'ssen raised his head to look up at her and said "I can very much understand not having as much time after a promotion, but whenever there is a party that would be nice." However, Ko'ssen was also wondering if he'd actually be in a position to be *able* to get away for whatever party got thrown...who knows what kind of weyrling emergency or drama he'd be having to handle when the party invitation did come.

Finished getting his tea ready, he leaned back in the chair and raised it to take a sip. Swallowing, again reminded about having to settle for tea instead of klah, he was about to respond to her previous comments about klah when Vivaeldi started in on how long it had been since he'd taken a break. Her reproachful noise had Ko'ssen looking a little sheepish as he lifted a hand to run it through his hair which was just slightly ruffled and not made any smoother by him running his hand through it, and possibly looking adorably awkward as he did so.

Really 4 or 5 months was a short estimate, as he'd really been going nearly non-stop since those twin gold eggs were laid on the Sands, but he knew it wouldn't do any good to admit to that small fact either. Reaching for an excuse, any excuse, to give the healer for how long it had been, Ko'ssen replied with "I get rest every night..." 'Well, most every night, at least for a handful of hours' Ko'ssen thought before continuing with "..so I don't think it's quite 'to the bone' that I've been working...Just, busy..."

He trailed off as his excuse sounded pretty weak even to his own ears...

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:09 AM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
[...]

Vivaeldi sipped her tea, watching how he took his, noting the willowbark.  "You need to allow yourself a break, Ko'ssen.  You have a team.  Trust them."  She didn't know how he ran the weyrlings, but she did know that he was taking much on his own shoulders.  "The Weyr doesn't function with just one person.  You know that."  She realized she probably sounded like she was lecturing him, which was certainly not why she was here.

She sat her tea down and leaned forward, reaching out to touch his hand.  "Take a few candlemarks.  I'll take us sailing.  The ocean air does wonders for headaches," she added.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Rosiegirl <rosiegirl872@...> wrote:
[...]

Ko’ssen sipped at his tea as she talked before letting out a tired sigh and responding with “Yes, I do know that. And I do trust them. It’s just that so many of them are new to being an Assistant Weyrlingmaster, still new to the position and trying to find their footing.” Here Ko’ssen reached up to run a hand through his hair again, further making it look untidy, before he continued with “But yes, I know I can’t do everything myself...that I need to rely on the team.”

He heard the faint noise of her putting her teacup down on the coffee table and focused back on Vivaeldi as she leaned forward toward him, smiling slightly at the healer as she put her hand on his that was still holding his own teacup. At her offer, a series of emotions passed over his face: surprise at her knowing he had a headache, a flash of unexpected interest at the idea of spending more time with Vivaeldi, longing at the idea of being on the ocean again, and then his eyes drifted over to his desk with its piles of hidework and that longing changed to consideration and worry of if he could manage to take even those few candlemarks off.

It was here when Zerenth reached out to Ko’ssen with a mental nudge and reassurance saying {{You’re doing great, Mine. You don’t need to worry so much or think that you’re going to fail the Weyrlings. You are doing your best, and together we *won’t* fail the little ones. And Healer-Green is right, you’ve been worrying so much and working so hard that you do need a break. Listen to her and go sailing. I can feel how much you want to go be on the big water again, maybe even swim too.}}

 As Ko’ssen was hit with his bronze’s words and Zerenth’s nudge to go, Ko’ssen replied with [[You *always* think we ‘won’t fail’ at any and everything that we do, but you don’t remember how much work gets put into ‘not failing’.]]

Ko’ssen considered the offer for a few more moments, feeling the headache throbbing at his temples, before he let out a breath and continued to his bronze [[Still, you do have a point...you and Vivaeldi both. I guess a couple candlemarks break wouldn’t hurt…]] His thoughts to his bronze trailed off before he added to himself ‘and if I need to, I can spend a couple candlemarks tonight catching up from taking a break…’

Smiling at Vivaeldi, Ko’ssen put his other hand on hers and nodded his head agreeing with “Sure, going sailing with you sounds pretty wonderful, Viv. And maybe even swimming too.”

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:58 PM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
[...]

Vivaeldi had never been one to do everything herself.  She'd gotten good over the Turns about delegating much of the work and reserving only the most important things for herself.  It didn't stop her from constantly working, but it did mean she worked more efficiently.  An apprentice could easily smear the numbweed on a wound, but only she could stitch it up.  It was a necessity when Threadfall injuries were common, and one had to work quickly to both eradicate the menace and treat the patient, before quickly moving onto the next.  She'd learned that the hard way during some of her first Turns as a Healer at a Weyr.  In Hold and Hall, injuries tended to be slower, more isolated, and one could focus fully on the task from cradle to grave.  But in a Weyr, well, there was no time for such things.  She supposed it was different for bronzers, and for weyrlingmasters specifically.  She didn't need to be a mindhealer to see the weight he carried, and obviously felt he had to do much of it by himself.

So she was a bit surprised when he finally agreed to her proposal.  She blinked, before smiling.  "Well then, it's a date!  Think you can manage to wrangle some snacks from the kitchens and meet me at the docks in a candlemark?  I'll have the boat ready to go by then..."  Truth be told, the size of skif they would take she could have ready quickly, but a candlemark gave him time to put things in order, and it gave her time to go and change, especially if he wanted a swim as well.