Topics

I have a question (attn F'gan / Ishkana)

Lindsay

Ishkana's rage and uncertainty over that bluerider (as she thought of him in her head, since she didn't know his name) had simmered into relative quiet over the few days since, to be replaced by a small degree of cautious curiosity. How could he possibly have known her mother? It was troubling the girl, and she didn't like unresolved stuff. Yes she'd gone off in a temper and had been extremely rude, so she recalled, but now she was coming round to the idea of wanting to know.

She had no idea how she was going to find him, though. Without knowing his name, she couldn't just wander round the Weyr until she came across him. And riders were busy people with lots of duties. It was a puzzle that she'd have to solve somehow.

Ishkana woke early the following morning. It was a clear day, and she had not yet gone all the way to the top of the Weyr to see what was outside. She'd made a start before but it was a lengthy trip and she'd not had the time. Today, she did. With a free period before she started her lessons, she would make that trip. Heading to the staircase she made a start on the long ascent to the Rim, as it was called on the map she'd cadged. She'd needed it plenty of times so far.

Yvonne

F'gan was at his favorite spot with his tools in hand, ready o set to work on a sketch. This was the time of day that he liked best because he could draw and think and recently he was plagued by thoughts about his daughter, and he was rather certain that she was his daughter. The last place he expected to find her was in he Weyr.

He blew softly across he image that he was working on and then looked up at the sky.

Lindsay

Puffing, Ishkana reached the top and plonked herself down on the nearest rock. It would take her a few minutes to get her breath back, but in the meantime she could turn in place and see all around her. The Rim wall shielded most of the Bowl from her view while she sat, but in the other direction she could see lush forests stretching into the distance. This place was much bigger than she'd thought!

After a little while she got to her feet and slowly began to walk eastwards, towards the rising sun. Only to find that, a short way along, the very bluerider she'd met before was sitting surrounded by what Ishkana assumed were drawing things. Curiosity and an irresistible compunction drew her nearer. Should she attract his attention? He seemed intent on what he was doing, and she didn't know whether she should start by apologising or what.

Luckily for her, fate intervened and her toe caught a loose pebble, propelling it past the bluerider but into his line of sight. She froze, unsure what to do or say.

On 6 August 2018 at 19:25, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
F'gan was at his favorite spot with his tools in hand, ready o set to work on a sketch. This was the time of day that he liked best because he could draw and think and recently he was plagued by thoughts about his daughter, and he was rather certain that she was his daughter. The last place he expected to find her was in he Weyr.

He blew softly across he image that he was working on and then looked up at the sky.

Yvonne

F'gan looked in her direction thanks to the stone hat whizzed past him. He set aside his work and got up and moved to help the child before she got hurt. "Good Morning. Are you alright?" he asked his blue eyes showing concern.

Lindsay

"Good morning," Ishkana mumbled, then paused for a while before blurting, "Sorry about the other day, sir." She would wait and see how he reacted to that before she decided whether to ask her question.

On 6 August 2018 at 20:03, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
F'gan looked in her direction thanks to the stone hat whizzed past him. He set aside his work and got up and moved to help the child before she got hurt. "Good Morning. Are you alright?" he asked his blue eyes showing concern.

Yvonne

He guided her over to where he was sitting and said "Its alright, and I apologize for any hurt I caused. I am F'gan rider of blue Nithroith. You're up a bit earlier then normal aren't you?" he asked

Lindsay

Ishkana sat on the edge of a rock, clearly poised to flee at a moment's notice, but her hands hanging in her her lap. "My duty to Nithroith, sir. I'm Ishkana." She shrugged one shoulder. "Maybe a bit. I have a free period first and wanted to see what was up here. If I'm disturbing you I can go away..."

On 6 August 2018 at 20:26, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
He guided her over to where he was sitting and said "Its alright, and I apologize for any hurt I caused. I am F'gan rider of blue Nithroith. You're up a bit earlier then normal aren't you?" he asked

Yvonne

"No you're not bothering me. The weyr is quite at this time of the morning so I like to just enjoy it and the sunrise." He told her with a smile.

Lindsay

The girl sat there for a few moments. F'gan was right, it was quiet and the sunrise made the day seem serene and calm. It wasn't long before Ishkana's thoughts were centred and focused and, shyly, she asked the question that had been on her mind for days. "Sir, you said the other day that you think you know my mother?"

On 11 August 2018 at 16:38, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
"No you're not bothering me. The weyr is quite at this time of the morning so I like to just enjoy it and the sunrise." He told her with a smile.

Yvonne

F'gan watched her for a moment and then said "Yes I did say that and I did know her. What's on your mind dear?" he asked softly.

Lindsay

Ishkana rubbed her cheek thoughtfully before answering. "Did you know her well? Only... I don't know what she's like, or anything really. I can barely remember her face."

On 11 August 2018 at 17:15, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
F'gan watched her for a moment and then said "Yes I did say that and I did know her. What's on your mind dear?" he asked softly.

Yvonne

"I did. Your mother was a very special woman, very kind and gentle and loving. We used to spend a good deal of time around the water and on the beach. She even helped with taking care of Nit, which he lapped up like a Kitten with a bowel of milk. I loved being with her and the world turned darker and colder when she was not in it." he told her

Lindsay

Ishkana sat, stunned, at the blue rider's outpouring of words. It sounded like they had known each other really well, had been close friends. She gave a sharp sigh, not knowing whether she was angry or jealous that F'gan knew her mother so much better than she did. A look of confusion clouded her face. "When did you last see her?"

On 11 August 2018 at 17:30, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
"I did. Your mother was a very special woman, very kind and gentle and loving. We used to spend a good deal of time around the water and on the beach. She even helped with taking care of Nit, which he lapped up like a Kitten with a bowel of milk. I loved being with her and the world turned darker and colder when she was not in it." he told her

Yvonne

"It was before you were born, I guess that your mother may not have even known she was pregnant, or I am sure that she would have told me and we would not have parted. I would have made my mate if she had known and told me. I was the one that gave her the necklace that you wear now." he said quietly.

Lindsay

Ishkana's head reeled. Was he saying... "Wait... were you... more than just friends?"

On 11 August 2018 at 17:47, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
"It was before you were born, I guess that your mother may not have even known she was pregnant, or I am sure that she would have told me and we would not have parted. I would have made my mate if she had known and told me. I was the one that gave her the necklace that you wear now." he said quietly.

Yvonne

F'gan let out a soft laugh. "Yes we were. Very much more."

Lindsay

Ishkana blinked slowly. There was an age you got to when you realised that at some point, in order for you to exist, your mother must have had a lover. It was an odd thing to think about. But was there any chance that this rider could be... No, surely not. But there was the necklace! Why had her mother given it to her? "I... don't know what to say. I mean... I don't know what I mean. When precisely, to the month, was the last time you saw her?" It might seem like an odd question but cogs were turning in the young woman's brain.

On 11 August 2018 at 18:00, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
F'gan let out a soft laugh. "Yes we were. Very much more."

Yvonne

F'gan watched her and sighed softly. He knew that she was not comfortable talking about the possibility that her mother had relations with him or any other man on Pern. Shells! He missed her and for the umpteenth time had wished that they had not had to part. Duty, Mine, is an odd, but needful thing. Nit said hoping to calm him down.

"Sorry that makes you uncomfortable, but without it, you would not be here let alone any of us and its a natural thing really. I think it was around the seventh month of the fourteenth Turn, but my memory could be foggy. I left her because I had to fight Thread....." he told her softly.

Lindsay

Well, Ishkana knew how long babies took. So it was possible that... she had to admit it to herself. This man, that she'd never met before coming to the Weyr, could potentially be, might be intimately related to... Shard it, Ishkana, she exclaimed in her head. Face up to it! He could be your father! She fidgeted and rubbed her nose. "Do you think..." she started then paused, and shook her head. "Is there any chance...?"

On 11 August 2018 at 18:24, Yvonne <kaliangelkat@...> wrote:
F'gan watched her and sighed softly. He knew that she was not comfortable talking about the possibility that her mother had relations with him or any other man on Pern. Shells! He missed her and for the umpteenth time had wished that they had not had to part. Duty, Mine, is an odd, but needful thing. Nit said hoping to calm him down.

"Sorry that makes you uncomfortable, but without it, you would not be here let alone any of us and its a natural thing really. I think it was around the seventh month of the fourteenth Turn, but my memory could be foggy. I left her because I had to fight Thread....." he told her softly.

Yvonne

"Any chance of what dear? That I am your father? Its possible yes." he told her. He was not going to beat around the bush nor was he going to paint it rose colors.