Topics

How Did... Bonus! (C'fan, Bl'by, anyone at the faire)

Ren

Prompt: You get very drunk and discover you have several more marks than when you started the Gather in your pocket and no memory of how you got them. Are they even yours?

Gathers were great, C'fan knew. Really anyone knew that- you had at least one day, maybe two, where there was no Thread and you could do as you pleased within the law. Eat bubbly pies until you're sick, drink until either your marks run out or you pass out, and buy things you'll never need. C'fan fell neatly into the second category and was hammered on High Reaches grog, In fact, he was so hammered that he came to tearing into a huge piece of roast with a huge bulge in his pocket. That was curious since it wasn't where his member was. C'fan stuck his hand in his pocket and sobered up real damn quick- those were marks outside of his pouch. Trying to be subtle, he pulled out the handful and about dropped them when he saw the whole mark designations. C'fan did a quick tally before shoving them in his pouch. That was seven marks! That was almost half his Turnly salary. What was he going to do with it?

{{Where did it come from?}} Resmeinth asked gruffly. The bronze hated when his rider drank like that mostly because he couldn't see through his eyes well enough to know what was going on.

{{Who cares? I've got ten marks now so I'm going to have an even bigger ball!}} C'fan smirked at his dragons disgusted snort and shoved another fork full of meat into his mouth.

{{Instead of buying more of that alcohol, why not buy something for someone else? Like that bluerider you're fancying now.}} Resmeinth made a point, C'fan realized like a slap in the face. Bl'by! He wanted the bluerider to genuinely like him, so what better way than a gift? He finished his food quickly and went off to browse the shops. Clothes seemed right out since he didn't really know Bl'by's style, plus he hated buying clothes for anyone including himself. Jewelry got a better look, especially necklaces and the like, but he also passed there. Did he really want to put anything like a collar on Bl'by? Nah, he was partnered with too many people. C'fan didn't want a mob coming after him.

Then there was the knives.

Now here C'fan did stop. Every rider had a knife for honor duels, it was tradition. Some were simpler than others based on preference or what one could afford. With the marks in his pocket, though, C'fan realized that he could buy just about any knife he wanted. He browsed for quite a while, drawing the trader's attention several times until C'fan was forced to talk to them to relieve suspicion.

"I'm looking for a knife for a lover. He rides blue and is a pretty popular guy." C'fan figured that that summed up Bl'by as accurately yet subtly as he could. "Do you have a knife that's kind of blue?"

"I do, though it's on the pricier side." The trader turned and came back with a knife whose metal shone pale blue and had darker blue stripes running down the blade and curling around the hilt. "This will set you back eight marks, bronzerider." The trader almost looked smug as though he was sure C'fan couldn't afford that on a gift knife. He wasn't prepared for C'fan to smirk and pull up his pouch.

"Seven, you say? Sounds rather high, what about six?"

"Hang on there, rider, I said eight, not seven," the trader retorted with a frown and pulled the knife back. C'fan snorted and shook his head.

"Hey now, I can afford that, it was just a slip of my tongue. You sure you won't go down?"

"Not even by a 32nd." The trader's stance was firm and unmoveable, even C'fan had to admit it. So the bronzerider fished out most of the marks and set them out to the trader's shock. "What... where did you get this?!" The suspicious snarl set C'fan aback and had him blinking in shock. "No rider but the Weyrwoman earns this much."

Deciding that telling this man that they just showed up in his pocket while drunk wasn't exactly smart, C'fan decided to bluff. "I'm from Arolos, can't you tell by my knot colors? I have quite the paycheck there plus we just got a bonus for a good tithe year. Eight marks is absolutely in my budget. Obviously since it's right there on the counter. Or are you saying that you question a bronzerider's honor?"

That got the trader to shut up. The mere thought of possibly dueling a rider was galling but so was the thought of taking stolen marks. Taking a slow breath, the man nodded. "Know what, I do. You southern types have weird ways and aren't trustworthy. If you thought pulling the card that you're from that backwater jungle would give you credit, then you were wrong. I challenge you, bronzerider."

On the ledge where he was sitting, Resmeinth bellowed in outrage. How dare someone challenge his rider's honor! C'fan himself smirked and took back the marks, pocketing them so they weren't stolen, and  made a grand gesture. "Lead the way then, trader, to where you think it best to duel."

"Oh no, southerner, you're not luring me away from the open area. What, you think I'm stupid enough to just let you walk me about like a herdbeast with a rope in its nose off to slaughter? Here and now." The man drew a different blade, blue one pushd into his belt for safety. C'fan blinked at the sight of bare steel.

"I thought that you meant a fistfight. I'll only ask you once more- are you certain that you wish to do this" There was a dangerous look in C'fan's eye as he shifted his stance and put a hand on the hilt of his own dagger. When the trader raised his knife, C'fan snorted and drew his. "Very well."

Onlookers quicklly cleared a circle for them and a crowd gathered just as fast. A fight was exciting enough but a duel with a rider was even more exciting. C'fan and the trader circled for a moment before the trader lunged. C'fan ducked and raised his knife to deflect the blow  and moved back. They circled again but before C'fan could strike, the trader lunged again with a double lunge which caught C"fan down the arm. Resmeinth bellowed again in rage and pain that echoed in C'fan's hiss. Blood started down the bronzerider's arm but he couldn't stop to deal with it. He feinted and while the trader fell for his first movement, C'fan lunged and sank his blade into the arm of the trader.

"Stand down!" C'fan barked at the man. "Yield and walk away with your life. I don't want to kill you."

The trader, however, wasn't hearing it and lunged with rage in his eyes. Without flinching, C'fan ripped his knife out of the man and sank it into his chest. He stepped back with his bloody knife in hand and sighed. He looked up at the crowd for a moment before leaning down and taking the blue and silver knife he'd been after in the first place.

"Does anyone know if this man has family here? Or even just apprentices in his shop?" No one answered so C'fan, in full view of everyone, counted out eight marks and deliberately set them on the stall counter before going to walk off.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Laura Walker

You never just got a day off, even at a Gather. Someone yelled for a Healer, somewhere in the crowd, and Cremsden turned towards the shout automatically. Could be anything -- someone fainting in the crush, someone starting labour or even -- oh hey, looked like a knife fight.

There was a frozen moment where he wished, really *wished* he'd been doing  this part of the Gather with Cuylar. Something about someone Cuylar's size tended to put most people off attacking. Then he sighed and dropped down to his knees by the fallen man, glad he'd brought his bag with him today out of pure habit. It was going to be another nice dress shirt ruined some part of the back of his mind noted as he bent over the Trader, first checking he was alive.

"Someone -- you with the beard -- get a guard," he said crisply. "You, bronzerider, stay right here please. Besides anything else I'm not sure all this blood is his." He spoke firmly, hoping that an air of authority might carry him through and see him automatically obeyed rather than stabbed.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 2:01 AM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

C'fan did stay, knowing that voice to be one of the best healers that Arolos had to offer. He was surprised to see Cremsden there with Kassia so near birth but it was what it was. Not all the blood was the traders? He looked over himself curiously and, sure enough, did find at least one cut that was in fact on him and was also bleeding.

"Huh, would you look at that," he mused almost absently. C'fan stood by part calmly, part tensely as he waited for the guard and for Cremsden to do his thing.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Laura Walker

"Sit on the floor and raise your arm above your head," Cremsden ordered, his voice terse. "Slow down blood loss -- you, the fellow in green, go find a Healer tent would you?" He bent over the man on the ground, quietly reaching to remove the knife from his grasp before he went further. You only had to get stabbed once to learn some lessons. "You awake there, sir? Sharding lucky for you that you're in High Reaches -- got a lot of layers for a knife to go through before it hits skin here. I'm going to start cutting your coat off now to get a look at the damage, I don't want to pull this out until I know where it is, you understand?" Whether the man was aware of it or not he still talked, tone a lot calmer than he felt as he started to work. "Can you tell me your name please?"

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 1:36 AM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
C'fan did stay, knowing that voice to be one of the best healers that Arolos had to offer. He was surprised to see Cremsden there with Kassia so near birth but it was what it was. Not all the blood was the traders? He looked over himself curiously and, sure enough, did find at least one cut that was in fact on him and was also bleeding.

"Huh, would you look at that," he mused almost absently. C'fan stood by part calmly, part tensely as he waited for the guard and for Cremsden to do his thing.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Ren

The trader blinked his eyes groggily as if waking from a nap. He licked his lips a few times before managing to croak out his name. "Flunagen." That was about all he could manage at the moment but he was coming to a bit more as the shock wore off. C'fan sneered at him a bit but kept it small. Likely once this arse came to he'd begin wailing about how C'fan had provoked him and the like. Until then, the bronzerider just stood by and waited to see which came first, wild accusations or instructions from Cremsden.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Kouga

Jasin wasn't sure why there was suddenly someone grabbing her arm and
tugging on her all frantic like, but she did pause to glance at the
person. She raised an eyebrow at the man who was a bit shorter than
her careful not to disturb Baba or Wany in her movement as both green
and blue huddled close to her neck. She wasn't sure how much longer
they would last in the cold, but they had insisted on coming with her
at least so here they were, but they were for later.

"Someone was stabbed, you have to come."

The man seemed a bit frantic and she could understand, but at the same
time she also knew it did no good though she was also a guard and
trained as such. She still wasn't sure why he had grabbed her, but in
panic he could have just noticed 'guard' and that had been enough so
she went with it keeping an eye out for a local guard as she moved.
The man brought her back to a small circle which made her glad for her
size as it made it a bit earlier to get the crowd out of her way. The
healer was easy to spot and she caught the bronzerider knots in Arolos
colours of the male sitting as well and knew this couldn't be good.
She moved towards the downed healer making sure to keep the
bronzerider in the corner or her eye "How can I help?" she questioned
not entirely sure where to start.

ooc: helpful?

*Kouga*

unhealthy." - Varric

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 4:46 PM Ren <wingedadrian@gmail.com> wrote:

The trader blinked his eyes groggily as if waking from a nap. He licked his lips a few times before managing to croak out his name. "Flunagen." That was about all he could manage at the moment but he was coming to a bit more as the shock wore off. C'fan sneered at him a bit but kept it small. Likely once this arse came to he'd begin wailing about how C'fan had provoked him and the like. Until then, the bronzerider just stood by and waited to see which came first, wild accusations or instructions from Cremsden.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Laura Walker

"Dunno what happened. Shout went up for a Healer and I get here to find everyone's bleeding." Cremsden's eyes were on his work as he spoke, already starting to look as though he himself had been in a murder as blood smeared over hands and face and soaked into his clothes. "Called for someone to fetch another Healer for the other guy but they're not here yet. Stretcher'd be nice too come to that. Highly obliged if you could shove something under this fellow's feet and get them up a little higher. 'f you can stop me getting stabbed while I'm working that'd also be appreciated." His tone was very calm, matter of fact even as he tried to slow the bleeding. "This one's name is Flugan he reckons, and he's going to stay nice and awake for me aren't you, friend."

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 4:46 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

> The trader blinked his eyes groggily as if waking from a nap. He licked his lips a few times before managing to croak out his name. "Flunagen." That was about all he could manage at the moment but he was coming to a bit more as the shock wore off. C'fan sneered at him a bit but kept it small. Likely once this arse came to he'd begin wailing about how C'fan had provoked him and the like. Until then, the bronzerider just stood by and waited to see which came first, wild accusations or instructions from Cremsden.
> --
> Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!
>
> Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Ren

Flugan nodded blearilyas his senses worked on coming back. He was aware of the healer first and was surprised to see him there so fast. He saw next the blurry outline of C'fan and groaned. "Bloody southern leeches. Trying to fence stolen or fake marks on me."

C'fan's rage resurfaced and he snarled, though he was smart enough to not move with a guard there. Resmeinth, however, wasn't bond by such trifles and gave another bugle of rage from his spot on the rim. "I paid for the knife. The marks are in your counter, trader."

A sneer met that statement. "Fake marks."
--
[...]

Jasin nodded at the words moving towards the Journeyman who's name she
felt like she really should know based on the knots being Arolos, but
weather it was the angle or what she somehow couldn't come up with. "I
have flits I can send one for one of our healers if all the ones here
are busy." she offered pulling off her heavier outter coat and
kneeling next to the healer and trader. It wasn't like she came north
often and it had started getting a bit small any which ways so no real
loss if it could go to a better cause which seemed to be the case to
her as she shoved it under the feet of the trader. Giving it a moment
to make sure he was settled properly before pulling herself back up
and looking up at the blue and green now hovering over her before
mentally directing each of them to different stalls to watch the who
group from while she placed herself at Cremsden's back with an eye on
C'fan.

At the words 'Fake Marks' she turned her gaze to the bronzerider, for
a brief moment focusing on him, before forcing herself to focus on the
task of keeping everyone as safe as she could "Someone get me a spare
bag and those marks." she added to the gathered people knowing they
would be needed for evidence for what ever happened after this.
Nodding at the woman who handed them to her in a crude cloth bag that
she tied to her belt next to her knife for the moment so they stayed
in plain sight. She wasn't going to be accused of doing anything to
favor the bronzerider when the local guards showed up.

*Kouga*

unhealthy." - Varric

"Needs to be here. This guy is going to need to be in the Infi--" Cremsden broke off to throw his weight into holding the man down, stopping any attempt to sit up to pursue the argument further. "Lie *still!*" he snapped. "I don't care what he sharding gave you. You still have a knife sticking out of you and I'm not even trying to get that out until help is here. You want to sit up and let it move enough to nick something vital?"