Topics

Hiding in plain sight, sitting on a treasure trove. (Tyne/Cremsden) @Lynn#6042

Nutmeg

OoC: Set several days before the medical scavenger hunt.

IC: Tyne was sulking. It was as simple as that. Idri had caught her with not one, or even two flit eggs. But five. Hidden away under her bed, Tyne had been sure that she would be able to hatch them and most importantly, impress them all, before her carer was any the wiser.

She was even more petulant because it was Cairn who had ratted her out, slyly sharing images of the stash to Drummer. The treacherous bronze had been glowered at for his efforts, for all of ten seconds before Tyne felt bad about it and told him she still loved him. But it hadn't stopped her precious treasures being confiscated and hastily redistributed when Tyne had sulkily admitted they only had a couple of days before hatching.

Sent out of their quarters with stern instructions to not get into anymore trouble, Tyne was sitting on the side of the Lake, Bobbin in her lap whilst she threw small pebbles into the water. Now she was bored. And a bored Tyne was liable to find even more mischief.

Florcott on AIM.

It had only been a short nap, and not an intentional one at that. Cremsden had been sitting by the Lake for what he'd intended to be five minutes before lunch and then thirty minutes or so later he'd woken up. More alarmingly he'd woken up without anyone biting him or trying to pull out his hair to tell him it was lunchtime. Bitey was nowhere to be seen and no amount of calling and whistling had produced him so far. So, Cremsden was on a slow careful trudge around the Lake, hoping to spot him.

He brightened seeing Tyne. "Hey! Hey, uh, you! Got a minute?"

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 11:27 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
[...]

At the sound of Cremsden's voice, Tyne looked up with a genuine smile. She liked the grumpy man. He was one of the few people in the Weyr that treated her as though she were just someone else. Not just someone damaged. It wasn't hard to see the worry lines at the corner of the man's expression. "What's wrong?" she asked, carefully lifting Bobbin from her lap and climbing to her feet.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:04 AM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

[...]

"You haven't seen Bitey about, have you? I was just, uh -- Anyway, he's wandered off and I can't seem to work out where." Cremsden scratched his head, still glancing about as he spoke. "I just-- reckon he forgets he can't do things sometimes, he might have got himself into bother."

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
[...]

At the mention of the crochety blue, Tyne absently rubbed the reminder of the blue's bad temper left on her hand. "I've not seen him in ages." She looked concerned for a moment and then her face brightened as she scrambled to her feet. "I could send Bobbin and Cairn to find him if you like! They could fly around and tell me if they see him!"

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

[...]

"Would you?" And Cremsden too brightened, suddenly hopeful. "I've been walking around looking but-- you know, he doesn't always come when I call if he doesn't feel like it and there's a lot of ground to cover."

Nutmeg

"Would you?" And Cremsden too brightened, suddenly hopeful. "I've been walking around looking but-- you know, he doesn't always come when I call if he doesn't feel like it and there's a lot of ground to cover."

"Of course!" Tyne brushed the dirt from the seat of her trousers. In response to a silent command, Bobbin and Cairn popped up out of nowhere. "Do you know the sort of places he likes to go?"

Florcott on AIM.

"Would you?" And Cremsden too brightened, suddenly hopeful. "I've been walking around looking but-- you know, he doesn't always come when I call if he doesn't feel like it and there's a lot of ground to cover."

"Of course!" Tyne brushed the dirt from the seat of her trousers. In response to a silent command, Bobbin and Cairn popped up out of nowhere. "Do you know the sort of places he likes to go?"

Cremsden thought for a moment. "He likes hunting tunnelsnakes?" he offered. "Eh. Could be looking for food? Not other firelizards so much, he doesn't tend to hang out with any but his two." And they definitely were Bitey's two in Cremsden's mind -- he was just the guy who happened to feed them.

Nutmeg

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 8:49 AM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Would you?" And Cremsden too brightened, suddenly hopeful. "I've been walking around looking but-- you know, he doesn't always come when I call if he doesn't feel like it and there's a lot of ground to cover."

"Of course!" Tyne brushed the dirt from the seat of her trousers. In response to a silent command, Bobbin and Cairn popped up out of nowhere. "Do you know the sort of places he likes to go?"

Cremsden thought for a moment. "He likes hunting tunnelsnakes?" he offered. "Eh. Could be looking for food? Not other firelizards so much, he doesn't tend to hang out with any but his two." And they definitely were Bitey's two in Cremsden's mind -- he was just the guy who happened to feed them.

Tyne was just about to ask how Bitey had felt the last time Cremsden had seen him before she remembered that the Healer had a different relationship with his flits than most. In fact, most of the time it was almost like he couldn't really hear them at all. "Do you know where they are now? They might be able to give some idea of where Bitey might be, or even what Bitey was thinking.Bobbin could help with that too."

Florcott on AIM.

Tyne was just about to ask how Bitey had felt the last time Cremsden had seen him before she remembered that the Healer had a different relationship with his flits than most. In fact, most of the time it was almost like he couldn't really hear them at all. "Do you know where they are now? They might be able to give some idea of where Bitey might be, or even what Bitey was thinking.Bobbin could help with that too."

"Faranth knows, to be honest, I rarely do," Cremsden admitted with an apologetic shrug. "They hang around with Bitey, they show up for meals, they're usually around at bed-time because they've decided our bed is more comfortable than sleeping outside -- beyond that I haven't a clue what they get up to."

Nutmeg

"Faranth knows, to be honest, I rarely do," Cremsden admitted with an apologetic shrug. "They hang around with Bitey, they show up for meals, they're usually around at bed-time because they've decided our bed is more comfortable than sleeping outside -- beyond that I haven't a clue what they get up to."

"Hmm," she said thoughtfully. This might be a bit trickier than she thought. "If you've checked around the lake, could they have gone looking for food elsewhere?" Food, sun and more food was usually the system of priorities in any flit's brain. But where would a flightless flit go? How could he go? Silently she pushed the request to Bobbin and Cairn that they took to the air, and in turn, Bobbin gave the same instructions to Aaru. The gold jumped from Tyne's shoulder where she had settled and Cairn could be seen in the air too, the bronze and gold making wide, looping circuits.

OoC: Perhaps a fleeting glimpse of one of Bitey's flits to give them a direction?

[...]

They weren't lazing where the sun fell on the rocks, nor were they amongst those diving for fish. It took good eyesight to finally spot the green squeezing into what looked to be a hole -- a tunnel of some type?

Nutmeg

They weren't lazing where the sun fell on the rocks, nor were they amongst those diving for fish. It took good eyesight to finally spot the green squeezing into what looked to be a hole -- a tunnel of some type?

It took several minutes of looking around before they finally made headway. It was pure fluke that she happened to glance over just as a blotch of green caught her vision. "There!" she crowed, pointing furiously into the distance.  "That looks like one of them, right?" And before waiting for an answer, she began to set off in the same direction.

Florcott on AIM.