Topics

Hey, You! Stablehand! atten: Garatt/Sarati

sailyn2

Sarati had been debating buying a runner of her own ( to which Kabelth said ((But why, Mine?)) ), but hadn't made the jump. Instead she was spending some of her extra time riding Midnight, the notoriously hard to ride runner. But just because she rode didn't mean she wanted to spend the time getting him ready or rubbing him down afterward. She was a rider and the daughter of the Weyrwoman after all.

Entering the stable, she looked around for the first likely stablehand to help her. She spotted someone walking nearby.

"Hey, you. I need you."

Laura Walker

"Me?" It came out as a squeak but Garatt stopped and turned obediently to see who had called him. He was dressed in stable suitable clothes certainly, but there was no uniform nor knots to give the clue to where he was meant to be.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 2:41 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Sarati had been debating buying a runner of her own ( to which Kabelth said ((But why, Mine?)) ), but hadn't made the jump. Instead she was spending some of her extra time riding Midnight, the notoriously hard to ride runner. But just because she rode didn't mean she wanted to spend the time getting him ready or rubbing him down afterward. She was a rider and the daughter of the Weyrwoman after all.

Entering the stable, she looked around for the first likely stablehand to help her. She spotted someone walking nearby.

"Hey, you. I need you."

sailyn2

"Yeah, you," Sarati said. "I need someone to help me groom and tack my runner Midnight." If Garatt had been around long enough, he might havev put together the runner with who owned it and that Midnight was not the easiest runner to deal with.

Laura Walker

"Midnight?!" Garatt's eyes went very wide but he stood suddenly straighter and a little taller, trying to look competent and like someone who could handle such a responsibility. Midnight was one of the runners he hadn't got too close too, not just because of friendliness but because people who owned runners worth that much might not want random kids messing with them. "Yes, uhm," his eyes darted to her knots, "Greenrider, Miss!"

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 8:49 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"Yeah, you," Sarati said. "I need someone to help me groom and tack my runner Midnight." If Garatt had been around long enough, he might havev put together the runner with who owned it and that Midnight was not the easiest runner to deal with.

sailyn2

"Mind that he doesn't bite or kick you," Sarati said. "Meet me in the tack stall." And with those comforting walls she wandered off to get the runner's tack.

Laura Walker

He was meant to fetch the runner?! On his own?! Garatt stood for a second, staring after her and then gave himself a shake and grabbed some orangeroot from the ever present sack in the corner. Armed with this bribe he went looking for Midnight.

"Here then, lad," he crooned, as he had watched more experienced stablehands do. "Here, come on then. You want an orangeroot?"

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"Mind that he doesn't bite or kick you," Sarati said. "Meet me in the tack stall." And with those comforting walls she wandered off to get the runner's tack.

sailyn2

The runner stood at the back of his stall, but at the approach of the unfamiliar intruder he moved forward. He snorted and stomped a hoof.

Laura Walker

"It's okay," Garatt soothed. He offered the orangeroot, hand held flat, letting the runner come to him rather than stepping any closer. "You want to come out?"

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 9:54 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
The runner stood at the back of his stall, but at the approach of the unfamiliar intruder he moved forward. He snorted and stomped a hoof.

sailyn2

The stallion snorted again and eyed him before taking a few steps forward. He sniffed at the orangeroot before nipping at Garatt's hand. Hard to tell if he was being aggressive or just overly enthusiastic getting the vegetable.

Laura Walker

Garatt held carefully still, nowhere near as nervy around the runner as he was around most adult humans. “Careful now, careful now,” he murmured determined not to jump back. If he turned up and said he couldn’t get the runner out they’d probably never let him try ever again. “You want another one?”

On Thursday, November 12, 2020, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
The stallion snorted again and eyed him before taking a few steps forward. He sniffed at the orangeroot before nipping at Garatt's hand. Hard to tell if he was being aggressive or just overly enthusiastic getting the vegetable.

sailyn2

Midnight eyed him a long time before snorting. At least he wasn't trying to bite Garatt again. That had to be a good sign.

Laura Walker

"Come on then." Garatt took a slow careful step backwards. "Come on now. Out you come. There's orangeroot out here. Redfruit too."

Of course it was entirely possible the runner might follow him out and go somewhere else, but Garatt was hoping enough blatant bribery might prevent that.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 6:39 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Midnight eyed him a long time before snorting. At least he wasn't trying to bite Garatt again. That had to be a good sign.

sailyn2

Midnight snorted again and then took a few steps to the open stall door. He made another bite at the orangeroot.

Laura Walker

Another few steps. "You going to let me lead you?" Garatt asked cautiously, reaching out a hand. "I think your owner's waiting for you. She'll be getting bored."

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 9:38 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Midnight snorted again and then took a few steps to the open stall door. He made another bite at the orangeroot.

sailyn2

The runner flicked his tail and tossed his head, but settled so he could attach the leadrope.

Laura Walker

Carefully Garatt clipped it on and then nearly bounced himself out of the sheer triumph of succeeding in that. Only the thought that giving in to the surge of triumph at getting that far might destroy all his good work allowed him to keep his voice calm and his movements steady. "Come on then, good lad, good lad, off we go, let's go.." he prattled, voice soothing as he led the way, grin nearly splitting his face in half.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 8:59 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
The runner flicked his tail and tossed his head, but settled so he could attach the leadrope.

sailyn2

Midnight walked along quietly. He was usually good at being led. It was the before and after that he was a pain in the arse.

"There you are," Sarati said, waiting next to the crossties, the tack already waiting.

Laura Walker

"I got him to come!" Garatt was too pleased with himself to remember to be shy, still beaming as he tied the leadrope securely and then -- rather incautiously -- moved to pat Midnight's shoulder, perhaps a little overconfident after that small achievement.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 7:04 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Midnight walked along quietly. He was usually good at being led. It was the before and after that he was a pain in the arse.

"There you are," Sarati said, waiting next to the crossties, the tack already waiting.

sailyn2

"Watch it," Sarati said as Midnight snapped his teeth at him without making contact. "You did good, though. Now let me help you get him tacked up."