Topics

Hatching- Leading Into the Light #HatchingForeth2020

sailyn2

The Endless Sky Egg was near Truenoth’s tail. It started to rock hard from the moment of first movement, rocking back and forth until it crashed into the bronze’s tail and smashed open. The bronze fell onto the sands and then stood up, shaking his head.

((That hurt,)) he complained.

((Welcome,)) said Truenoth to the newly-hatched bronze. He could not see him, but he could feel him. He held his tail still against the urge to wiggle it. ((Are you quite all right?)) he asked.

Cheironth pulled himself up and thought about it. ((I will be fine,)) he said. He shook himself out, a small sound of his baby wings flopping against his body.

((I am Truenoth, one of your sires. What shall I call you, little one?)) the great bronze asked.

As he did, the Clawed Nightmare Egg gave a startling crack. Then with wings spread, a surprisingly regal blue with a feathery pattern on his hide cast apart the two halves of the egg and stood majestically in their place as the shell crumbled into pieces beside him.

((Is there anything I might do to help you?)) he asked the bronze.

The bronze puffed himself up proudly. ((I am Cheironth.))

The sound of the egg cracking made him jump and he spun around to see the arrival of his blue brother. His brother that was younger and clearly knew less of the world than he, Cheironth, did.

((I want you to accompany me on a trip. But tell me, what can I teach you about this new place?))

The blue tilted his head curiously. ((What, indeed. What is this place?)) he asked. He had no reason to doubt that this brother of his, who was there first, might know – if he offered to tell.

Cheironth hesitated. That was a good question. ((This is the place of the Big Talker,)) he said finally as he pointed with a claw at Truenoth. The bronze was so big that it was hard to see to the top of him from Cheironth’s height. ((He called himself our ‘sire’.))

The blue bowed to the larger bronze.

((It is an honor to meet you, then, sire,)) he said. ((I am Fogryth, and this is my brother, Cheironth.))

((Indeed,)) said Truenoth. ((We have met. The honor, however, is all mine. Welcome, Fogryth. I am Truenoth. The… Big Talker, if it please you.)) He rumbled a chuckle, amused at the appellation.

Cheironth craned his head to see as much of Truenoth as he could. ((What can you teach me so that I can teach others?)) he asked. ((I want to know about this world.))

((There is much to learn and little time today,)) said Truenoth. ((But I will say this that you depart to choose your lifemate – nurture and cultivate your urge to lead and serve your brothers and sisters well.))

((This I will do, I swear,)) said Fogryth, eagerly. He puffed up his chest and gazed up at Truenoth. A dragon after his own heart, it seemed. What a lifemate was, Fogryth could not yet say, but if it was so important… he supposed he would learn soon.

((You have a lot to learn before you can lead,)) Cheironth said, a bit miffed that Fogryth would claim that he would also follow Truenoth’s words. He didn’t know any more than his brother, but he was determined to find out. ((Come on. I have to learn more so I can teach you.))

Fogryth's eyes whirled deep blue and he bowed his head to Cheironth, amused.

((Very well. Let's see what you can learn,)) he said. Truenoth had asked him not only to lead but to serve. And perhaps this brother of his needed to teach. If Fogryth could support that need, then he would. After all, was this not what a good leader did? Truenoth seemed to think so!

Cheironth hmphed, then set off away from Truenoth. Clearly whatever he was supposed to learn wasn’t there. He had no idea where he was going, just that he was going...somewhere. There were other eggs, both opened and hatched, along the way. Eggshells littered the Sands like pieces of discarded paintings.

He looked around, uncertain what his plan was. Finally he looked down. If the Big Talker wasn’t the right answer, then maybe something under the sand would get him his answer.

((Dig with me,)) he said.

((Very well,)) said Fogryth. ((What are we digging for?)) he asked as he first looked back for approval from Truenoth and then began to dig with his brother.

((What we’re looking for,)) the bronze Hatchling said vaguely. He went on, sounding very confident, ((We will find what we’re looking for if we only dig for you. Knowledge should come with effort and then be shared with others.))

That sounded more or less truthy, Fogryth supposed. Effort was commendable. And if it would help him serve and lead, well…

If it were entirely useless, Truenoth would have stopped them.

((Then we will certainly learn something.))

((The goal in life is to learn and teach,)) Cheironth said as he shoved big clumps of sand out of the way to try to create a hole. Then clarified because there was something else nagging at him that he knew he had to do, he just didn’t know what. ((It’s one of the goals in life. My...something...will tell me what my other goals in life are.))

((Our sire spoke of a lifemate. Something so important that we could not stay to learn. Perhaps that is what we will find,)) said Fogryth. ((Beneath the sand may seem a peculiar place to find them, but it is no more or less peculiar than any other to find such an important thing.))

((We will find this ‘lifemate’ if we only try.)) Cheironth dug more vigorously. He had to find this thing that the Big Talker had mentioned. If he tried hard enough, he could find it.

The deeper they went, it seemed, the less they could see. There was precious little beneath the sand. Hm. But there was now a pile beside the hole. A mound. Fogryth wondered. Perhaps that was truly what they had been digging for.

((I think you may have found something,)) he said. Cheironth would want to be the one to think he discovered it.

The trick worked. Cheironth came up and he looked around. ((Of course I did...but I think you should find it, too. Tell me what you found.))

((We have unearthed a mound,)) said Fogryth. He gestured to the hill beside their hole. ((What might we be able to see from such a vantage point?))

((I will go up and I will teach you,)) Cheironth said.

He walked up to their mound and tried climbing it. He slipped as the sand moved under his feet but eventually got up on top. From there he could see more of the Hatching Caverns. He looked back at Truenoth and then around to look at Talith. He didn’t think that the other thing that looked like Truenoth but was a different color was what they were looking for. Nor were the eggs what they were looking for.

He turned around the other direction and the people in the Stands and white things he’d vaguely noticed before came into view. These were new. Something over there must be what he was looking for.

He climbed back down, slipping the last little bit but catching himself at the bottom. He turned towards the Stands and the Candidates and pointed. ((Whatever we’re looking for is over there.))

((I knew you would find it,)) said Fogryth, feeling very clever for having led Cheironth right to it. He suspected Truenoth had taught him more than Cheironth realized. ((Shall we go to where it is?))

((Let’s go.)) Cheironth wanted to be there first. He took off at a run. He was part way there when he felt a pull. Somewhere was the one who would teach him everything and help him teach the others. ((Asheran, let me tell you what I know!))

Fogryth looked back for a moment at the other eggs, at the two very large dragons. But then he decided that if the Discovery was good for Cheironth and if Truenoth said it was important, then it was something he should pursue for himself. It would be the beginning.

((Samyke, we have much to do. The others will be counting on us.))

And from there the two dragons headed toward the ones that would help them learn about life.

Egg - The Endless Sky Egg: Somehow Foreth has managed to catch the night sky as she created a sky on this bold looking egg. The egg came out mostly dark purple with white spots of various sizes. At the bottom there are pink waves as if seeing the Northern Lights Here and there are lighter vertical areas that almost make look like there are clouds moving around the egg itself.

From afar, the egg looks like the night sky in a place where there's no light to interfere. As you get closer, the feeling doesn't change. Like the real night sky, the spots that look like stars are uncountable, some large, almost too small to be seen. What mysteries hide in those far stars? How far does that night sky go? The egg will keep its endless mysteries, but hopefully the dragon inside will be more open with his or her secrets..

Dragonet - Cheironth: Cheironth will be a sleek, but muscular bronze. He will be a weird looking bronze with everything from his wings back will be red-bronze, except for darker tail and feet, and in a very abrupt line in front of that he will be a lot lighter bronze.

Cheironth, patient for a bronze, is a natural leader and teacher. Even as a Weyrling he will be protective of those smaller than him and he will be fiercely protective of those in his class, particularly the golds. Anyone wanting to hurt those he cares about will have to go through him first, as far as he's concerned.

With a continuing desire to care for young dragons, he will likely push his rider towards being an AWLM later on in life. If his rider resists, that insistence will become louder and louder and more insistent with each passing day. He will also do what he can to try to get close to the Weyrlings to try to protect and teach them even if he gets chased away.

Cheironth is a civilized dragon and will strongly frown if his rider parties too much or seeks too many partners. He sees excesses as a problem that should be stopped, which will help if and when he cons his rider into being an AWLM.

Cheironth will have an odd attachment to runners and will refuse to eat them, which could cause problems early on when he doesn't get to choose what he gets to eat. He will like them so much he may urge his rider to get one as a pet, although he may not quite understand that runners don't belong in weyrs or on their ledges, but rather in stables.

Dragonet - Fogryth: If you couldn't see his color, you'd think that Fogryth was a bronze, or at least a brown. He hatches out with the presence and confidence of a higher color. He's big, but not the biggest of the blues in the clutch. Instead he's regal, each movement deliberate as he holds his head high.

Fogryth's head and neck are as pale of blue as you get, ending in a feathering looking effect and turning into a medium blue that traces the rest of his body. He's well muscled, but his a thin tail, which keeps him from turning so easily in the air. He'll be one of the stronger, but not as agile blues.

Fogryth is above all a loyal dragon. He cares deeply for his clutchmates and wingmates and wants only the best for them. Among his clutch Basilith is his closest friend and he alone is able to help calm him easily. He yearns to find a green mate and once he finds her, he'll chase others as his hormones dictate, but it's her that he'll spend all his time with and she alone she'll count his mate. He'll also urge his lifemate to find one mate and keep them as well.

Fogryth is fascinated with the concept of healing and dragonhealing. He'll want his lifemate to learn about it and if his lifemate has the background of either craft, he'll be all the happier.

Kate Polsom

Fogryth looked back for a moment at the other eggs, at the two very large dragons. But then he decided that if the Discovery was good for Cheironth and if Truenoth said it was important, then it was something he should pursue for himself. It would be the beginning.

((Samyke, we have much to do. The others will be counting on us.))

Samyke was watching the Hatching with awe. It was definitely an interesting group of dragons. Some playing with bugs, two were talking to the big bronze Truenoth. She wondered what they were talking about.

And then... then there was a blue in front of her. And a voice in her head. Fogryth. Fogryth. What a beautiful name and a beautiful dragon. Wait. If she knew his name and could hear him.... he was hers! And she was his!

Tears welled up in her eyes and she knelt down in front of Fogryth and wrapped her arms around his neck. She tended to be the more emotional sister where Yamsi was the more reserved. So this wasn’t really a surprise for her to be as free to show her emotions.

“You are beautiful! I’m so happy,” Samyke said and then her belly gurgled... or was it Fogryth’s?

((I think it is both of ours. My stomach is making noises and I’m starving. Please, I would like food.)) the blue said, rubbing his head gently against her.

“Let’s go and get food then!” Samyke said, standing up and brushing the sand off her robe.

She led the blue towards the meat tables, one hand resting on the newborn blue.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, September 5, 2020, 2:21 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

[...]

From afar, the egg looks like the night sky in a place where there's no light to interfere. As you get closer, the feeling doesn't change. Like the real night sky, the spots that look like stars are uncountable, some large, almost too small to be seen. What mysteries hide in those far stars? How far does that night sky go? The egg will keep its endless mysteries, but hopefully the dragon inside will be more open with his or her secrets..