Topics

Hatching - First Queenly Feeding ((Attn: Calyse, Kashara, Any))

Guiding the new gold toward food didn’t take much effort, the dragonet’s drive to eat after Hatching a strong enough instinct that all Calyse needed to do was point her in the right direction. The AWLMs along the sides had fresh-cut meat ready and waiting for the new dragonets, and Calyse moved with Andorath in tow to the cluster of their new clutchmates.

((I hunger terribly, you will feed me!)) Andorath demanded of her rider, shoving her way through the line of baby weyrlings to access the food platters.

“Andorath, no! You have to go slow, you can’t just bully in!” Calyse was quick to chastise, scrambling to impose her will on the pushy female. As she settled into the routine of stuffing chunks of meat into the open waiting maw of her dainty gold, she turned to the others nearby.

“I’m s-so sorry about her. I won’t let-- Kashara!” Her face lit, changing instantly from apologetic to delighted to spy her friend. “You Impressed, too!”

Jenna Cunningham

A'shran led Cheironth toward the buckets of meat, toward the other weyrlings, so overwhelmed by the entire experience that he had completely forgotten that he wasn't even supposed to technically be there. The hood of his robe was pushed back, and he walked straight-backed, with a touch of confident swagger even though dried tears still streaked his face, visible to anyone who cared to look on him and his bronze, already deep in conversation with the curious dragonet.

"I've never been here before," he was explaining patiently. "This is all brand new to me, too. Don't worry - the food's coming."

He reached for a hunk of fresh-cut meat when he reached the platters, then fed it to Cheironth with a light, underhand toss - watched it vanish down his lifemate's gullet with surprising speed, and reached for another.

((Who are they?)) Cheironth was looking at something over his shoulder, and A'shran turned to look, too, then grinned, and held out the next bit of meat: "They're friends."

As his dragon ate, he raised his voice.

"Kashara!" And then - who was that with the gold? Wait. "Calyse?"

sailyn2

"Hey!" Kashara protested as Rusalth was shunted to the side and let out an angry wail. She laid a calming hand on her lifemate and guided her to a place slightly to the side. She noted the gold, but wasn't about to be pushed aside.

Then Calyse and Asheran called her at about the same moment and she looked around at both of them. "Congratulations!" she said. Then noted the gold at Calyse's side after seeing the bronze at Asheran's. The one that had been pushy. She decided further words wouldn't go well. She merely smiled. "She's beautiful and he's handsome. We're so lucky."

She realized that Rusalth was starting to gulp down meat. "Ooops." She turned more attention back to her lifemate. "Easy, love. Let me get pieces for you."

Rosiegirl

Ko’ssen had been warned about the candidates who had been banned from the Hatching, and while one of them was still in the infirmary the WLM hadn’t expected the *other* to come walking out of the Sands with a dragon at his hip. So, he supposed he could be forgiven for having looked right at Asheren and his bronzeling, greeted them, directed them to a ‘bronze sized’ bucket, given them specific feeding instructions, and then moved onto directing the *next* new weyrling without being struck with the realization that he’d *just* spoken to the banned Candidate-turned-Weyrling.

It wasn’t until there was a small lull in the new weyrling arrivals and Ko’ssen was planning on approaching the first of the new gold weyrlings that he got a second good look at the bronze weyrling standing near one of the gold weyrlings. The WLM’s eyebrows rose up in shock as his mind played over the fact that Asheran had *come from the Sands* instead of the bronze coming out of the Cavern calling for his lifemate.

Straightening his back, Ko’ssen’s face went a little pale as it stiffened in anger when he thought of all the horrible things that *could* have happened due to this bronzeling deciding to flout his punishment. Striding over to the gold weyrling, banned bronzeling, and a new green weyrling just as the green let out a wail, Ko’ssen noticed that the greenling wasn’t focusing on her lifemate the way she should and the green had begun to feed herself.

Frowning at that, Ko’ssen spoke up with a stern “Take care to focus on *your* lifemate, green weyrling Kashara, as they will take advantage of any moment you are distracted to eat faster than they should, or swallow before chewing. And you *don’t* want to be dealing with a case of Thicktail.”

Then he turned to the gold weyrling pair who he’d already greeted and congratulated when they’d first walked out of the Sands and in that same stern voice said “Good work on being quick to correct your gold’s behaviour, gold weyrling Calyse. Make sure only one piece of meat at a time until she chews and swallows, even though she is larger sized than her siblings.” With that, however, he pinned the gold dragonet herself with a look and directed this at Andorath “You however, would also do well to remember to show respect to your siblings, each of whom are just as hungry as you are and who are just as eager for food. As, once you are grown, they will be the ones flying high during Threadfall protecting you and your lifemate from the worst of ‘Fall in the Queen’s wing. There *was* plenty of table space for you to get to a bowl of meat without shoving aside one of your siblings, regardless of what color they are. The food wasn’t going anywhere. Understood?” Zerenth, who was nearby and watching the interaction between his rider and the newborn gold, lent his own presence behind his lifemate’s words with a rumble of warning directed at the gold to *listen* to his rider.

With that taken care of, Ko’ssen finally turned his eyes to the bronzeling who was standing there looking as relaxed and confident with his *swagger* as if he’d done *nothing* wrong but what he’d really done was put every single candidate on the Sands in danger....and this time they were narrowed as he looked at the new weyrling. When he spoke, there was actually a touch of cold fury clearly evident in his voice “And you, bronzeling Asheran...I *believe* that you were actually *Banned* from the Sands for this Hatching, is that right?”

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 9:40 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"Hey!" Kashara protested as Rusalth was shunted to the side and let out an angry wail. She laid a calming hand on her lifemate and guided her to a place slightly to the side. She noted the gold, but wasn't about to be pushed aside.

Then Calyse and Asheran called her at about the same moment and she looked around at both of them. "Congratulations!" she said. Then noted the gold at Calyse's side after seeing the bronze at Asheran's. The one that had been pushy. She decided further words wouldn't go well. She merely smiled. "She's beautiful and he's handsome. We're so lucky."

She realized that Rusalth was starting to gulp down meat. "Ooops." She turned more attention back to her lifemate. "Easy, love. Let me get pieces for you."

sailyn2

"Yes, sir," Kashara said, both a little embarrassed and angered by the chastisement. She turned her attention to Rusalth who had now stopped eating and was looking quizzically at her.

((What's wrong?)) the innocent little voice asked. She twined her tail around Kashara's side and Kashara patted it.

"Nothing, love," she said, forcing the feelings down. Rusalth mattered the most. She picked up a piece of meat and offered it to the baby green as she smiled. "Keep eating, you have a little more to go before you're full."

The elation Calyse felt to find Kashara with her in the new Weyrling class, Asheran's familiar voice drew an annoyed glare over her shoulder at the approaching boy and his bronze. His bronze! "You aren't even supposed to be here," she hissed at him, distracted from her friend. Sure, he had broken the rules, but she wasn't about to scream out and announce that to all of Pern. The dragon by his side was proof Asheran was precisely where he needed to be, not even Calyse could deny that now.

Then Ko'ssen spoke and the jig was up for the boy regardless. She smiled at the praise, the use of her new title filling her with pride and delight. It was all real! The offense causes by Asheran's presence was quickly forgotten as she felt Andorath bristle at the WLM's instruction.

((Why should be forced to suffer and wait?)) demanded the new goldling as Calyse pulled bodily at her neck, the only way to lift her head away from the meat platter she sought to bury it into. ((It is here for me, and I am here to eat it! My clutchmates know to protect me because I am a treasure beyond compare. They will not mind while I eat first. Do you?)) She asked Rusalth, twisting her bloodied face toward the green. ((Would you clean me off? I am so sticky already.))

"No, that's my job," Calyse insisted, tugging her triangular head back toward herself. "You need to listen to them, and to me!" Imposing her will on the brash little queen was already tricky, but it didn't stop her from trying to talk to Kashara over Andorath. "I-I really am sorry about her! Your green, I'm so happy for you! And so glad to see you." But pointedly not that Asheran boy.

sailyn2

Kashara flushed. How was Calyse going to feel when she found out that she helped A'shran on the Sands. She hated the thought that she'd lose a friend, but she wouldn't take back what she'd done. Maybe Calyse would be reasonable.

((I hope you would not let me starve,)) Rusalth said, not exactly a 'yes'. She nuzzled the young gold. ((You wouldn't let me starve, would you?))

Jenna Cunningham

((Neither of you will starve as long as I am here.)) Cheironth interjected, snapping another piece of meat up as A'shran offered it, and watched the pair with whirling eyes. Only when that bit of meat had been thoroughly chewed and swallowed did something seem to occur to the baby bronze. ((Only... are you starving now? I will protect you from that.)) The next bit of meat, taken directly from A'shran's hands, was gnawed only a little, and then haphazardly flung toward the other pair, smacking wetly into the ground. It made a very satisfying sound, but it also reminded Cheironth how hungry he still was, and he turned back to his lifemate for more, too noble to beg.

A'shran smiled and held out another small bit of meat and then - uh oh, the Weyrlingmaster was definitely looking at him, and while he had expected that he'd be found out eventually, he'd also thought it may have been one of the AWLMs, or... Actually, honestly, he hadn't expected anything past the point of Impression. He was flying by the seat of his pants now. His smile fell away.

"It's bronzeling A'shran, sir. I've impressed Cheironth." He lifted his chin, cleared his throat, and then added somewhat more humbly: "I was banned, Weyrlingmaster. I guess you probably want to talk to me later about that, but could I keep feeding him first?"

((Hear that? Neither of us will be allowed to starve, that one will make sure we are fed.)) Andorath sidled closer to Rusalth, acknowledging Cheironth only as a useful tool. The piece of meat flung in their direction had her head swiveling to face it as if she was a tunnelsnake sighting prey, whirling orange eyes focused with predatory intensity. All else was momentarily forgotten, darting forward to snatch the chunk up from where it had fallen with a snap of her jaws. The taste only served to remind her of just how hungry she was. ((Feed me-- us, feed us more! Open the box, let it flow!))

"I'm sorry," Calyse just seemed to be continually apologizing now, collecting pieces for the queen to gorge herself on. "I have no idea what she's talking about.  Here, Andorath, eat. Slowly and one at a time." Offering the handful seemed a dangerous affair with those big teeth already so sharp the moment she fell out of the shell, and so she exercised extra caution.

((I did not fall, I gracefully made my exit.)) Andorath snapped in response to Calyse's mere thought, startling the young woman. ((I am never clumsy nor late, I arrived precisely when I was meant to!)) The baby gold's offense did not stop her from chowing down indulgently on the meat her new rider held.

"Slowly!" Calyse insisted.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020, 11:42 PM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

((Give me more meat,)) Rusalth crooned. If a dragon could have  purred, she would have managed it. And never mind that she had plenty of her own food.

"You have enough meat," Kashara said, gently handing over a piece of cut up meat.