Topics

Harper Open: Lord Holder of Drinkers (Elowyn - Original Song)

When it came her turn to perform, Elowyn climbed onto the stage in a dark blue dress nearly the deep shade of her eyes with a plunging neckline meant to draw attention. Tailored to fit at the waist with long sleeves, she had fashionably hiked the voluminous skirts up in front to reveal a daring amount of her stocking-clad legs. In one hand, she held a flagon of what seemed to be wine, the other carrying a simple melody on paper that she laid before the musicians. They began a jaunty tune as she strode across the platform, upbeat and happy, with a 4/4 time that no one in the crowd would have difficulty stomping along to. 

Elowyn liked to joke that she had the singing voice of a caprinae, but the sound that left her mouth was an unusual, though not unpleasant, husky alto. 

(Intro)
"They call me Lord Holder of drinkers,
Of sloshing and roaring good boys
Who take delight in tossing full tankards
And filling the whole Hold with noise!"

To encourage the crowd to clap in time, Elowyn set her heel tapping to the beat. The Harper offered those gathered a smile and raised her mug, sloshing the contents wildly. This was her element and she reveled in it, striding from one side of the stage to engage the audience before sashaying to the other. 

(verse 1)
"I’ve no marks for a draught
Though I slave at my craft
To taste such fine sips as these!
A Hold's wealth I could topple
With my mouth at the bottle;
I could drink it away with great ease!

(chorus)
Call me the Lord Holder of drinkers,
Of ranting, roaring, guzzling boys
And filling the whole Hold with noise!

(verse 2)
Now please, fill my glass
Till it laughs in my face 
With liquor that's potent and mellow!
He that whines for a lass
Is an ignorant ass, 
But no worse than she with no fellow!

(chorus)
Call me the Lord Holder of drinkers,
Of skirt-chasing, runner-racing, good boys
And filling all of Pern with noise!

(outro)
Put them cups now up to the sun, boys,
Let Rukbat's example invite us.
For he's drunk every night,
S’what makes him so bright, 
That he's ready next morning to light us!"

Lifting her tankard high as her song came to a close, Elowyn threw back her head and downed what remained in the cup without hesitation. Then with her arms spread wide, she took a bow, blew kisses to familiar faces in the crowd, and bid the judges farewell.