Topics

Harper Open: From the Bottom Up (Indali, Original Song)

Ren

While true that she was a Weyrling, Indali still had thoughts about her previous life and how she sometimes even missed it. She would never trade her spirited Tanivith for anything, mind, but she still missed her life of hard-working servitude. Thoughts had been running around in her head for a while now and now at the Harper Open, she found an outlet to relieve those thoughts. When it was her turn, she went to the instrumentalists and asked the string players to play a wistful sounding melody. They played it softly for her and she hummed along a bit before nodding. Indali took her place at the stage and looked out at the crowd before sighing and nodding to the harpers. The music began slowly.

"Do you ever take the time of day
To wonder of the person you pass
Who stoops and cleans whilst you play
From floor to wall to glass?

That life seems dull
To the average passerby
But I'll tell you something about that world-
It used to be mine."

Indali swayed herself to the soft caress of the strings as more instruments caught on. A guitar plucked forlornly while a flute added its lonesome call.

"No one adds a thought to people small
To those who clean the Weyr
But I'm here to tell you all
Without them we couldn't be here.

Look at me, fair people mine
I am now a rider of green
But just a few mere months ago,
Twas I who knelt to clean

How I long to return hence
To that life of servitude
To not receiving a single glance
Nor one person's gratitude

Why, ask ye
Would a rider fair
Want to return to dark and gloom?
Well, says I, for the heart's better fare
And the reward of cleaning a scummy room

Disparage not the cleaners
Oh ye Weyr of plenty
Or you'll no longer be restful dreamers
For a Turn or twenty."

Finished with her wistful memory and mild warning, Indali bowed and exited the stage after thanking her harpers.
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in theĀ Shadow...