Topics

Good For You? (C'fan, Bl'by)

Ren

It'd been one hell of a greenflight; Resmeinth had flown well even though he'd lost and the greenrider had been fairly attractive. The surprise was that C'fan had hooked up with a rather large male bluerider. He typically went for men smaller than him, but maybe this guy being a bluerider would make up for it. After all, he wasn't completely unattractive from behind.

C'fan stretched and sat up, rubbing his face and ran a hand through his hair before looking down at the bluerider. What was his name again?

{{Bl'by of Traynth}}, Resmeinth supplied from where he was sunning at the lakeside. {{Not a bad blue, if a little anxious.}}

The bronzerider nodded with a yawn and rose from the bed to make klah in the flightroom's klahpot.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Laura Walker

The warmth at his back shifted and Bl'by stretched and rolled to see who it was, arching his back for a minute and stretching his arms above his head. The flight was over but the fuzzy feelings of contentment still lingered. It barely mattered if they won; not even to Traynth. There was far more enjoyment to be had in throwing himself into his dragon heart and soul for a flight, sharing the excitement of being light and swift, flinging his body -- Traynth's body -- into breakneck curves and dives than in merely enjoying the warm body at the end.

Besides, there nearly always was a willing warm body at the end, just not always that of the greenrider they had been chasing.

He was smiling as he pushed himself to sitting. Once at Fort he might have been far more cautious of an unknown flight partner but Fort was a long time ago and this was here and now.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 1:44 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

Hearing movement, C'fan turned to see Bl'by sitting up and grunted softly. He poured a second cup and walked back to the bed, offering it to the bluerider. "Morning. Good flight?" From what he himself could remember, it had been good by C'fan's own standards, so in his mind it had to have been good for the other. Well, add in the sense that Bl'by wouldn't be smiling had it been bad.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Laura Walker

“Good flight,” Bl’by confirmed. C’fan looked vaguely familiar but he couldn’t recall why and in that moment of contentment with the world didn’t care. He seemed friendly if he was bringing hot drinks and that was that mattered.

He shifted up a little as he reached for the drink. If he had remembered in that moment who C’fan was, would he have reached his free arm to C’fan’s shoulder, intending to gently tug the other man back onto the bed? Probably not but if there was going to be an opportunity for a repeat or at least snuggling then Bl’by had never been the type to be shy about indicating his willingness.

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
Hearing movement, C'fan turned to see Bl'by sitting up and grunted softly. He poured a second cup and walked back to the bed, offering it to the bluerider. "Morning. Good flight?" From what he himself could remember, it had been good by C'fan's own standards, so in his mind it had to have been good for the other. Well, add in the sense that Bl'by wouldn't be smiling had it been bad.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Ren

Pride warmed C'fan at the confirmation. Of course it'd been a good flight- he didn't do bad ones (except for that one with that bratty girl back in Fort, Thread take her). The bronzerider was surprised when Bl'by pulled him back down with him but he didn't resist. Sure, he could cuddle. He put his free arm around the other while sipping his klah quietly and contemplating the events. C'fan wasn't usually a chatty man and was fine with silence so nothing urged him to fill the empty space. It was quiet and comfortable to him even though his old Fort chums would tell him to drop the other man like a hot tuber.
--
Out of the fire comes new life. Telgar Rises!

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Laura Walker

Pride warmed C'fan at the confirmation. Of course it'd been a good flight- he didn't do bad ones (except for that one with that bratty girl back in Fort, Thread take her). The bronzerider was surprised when Bl'by pulled him back down with him but he didn't resist. Sure, he could cuddle. He put his free arm around the other while sipping his klah quietly and contemplating the events. C'fan wasn't usually a chatty man and was fine with silence so nothing urged him to fill the empty space. It was quiet and comfortable to him even though his old Fort chums would tell him to drop the other man like a hot tuber.

"Traynth's happy." And if there was a space in the conversation Bl'by was happy enough to fill it. There was a warm friendly body next to his and beyond that details didn't really matter. He stretched his arm around C'fan's back, hooking the other man closer so that thigh could lean against thigh, side against side, so that he could feel the slight movement of the other man's breath. "Had fun showing off at least. Faranth though, she was a speedy little thing."

[...]

Normally C’fan wasn’t one for chatty partners, but this one was oddly charming. Maybe it was his remaining post-flight exhaustion combined with his victory at having caught someone that had him listening and nodding. “Traynth is the tail-chewer, isn’t he? I guess anything that makes a dragon happy enough to stop that for a minute is a good thing.”

Bl’by looked a little sheepish at that. “..A little. Only when he’s nervous,” he admitted, automatically protective of his dragon. “He’s been better lately though.” They both had been, once the early anxiety of a new place with new rules had worn off a little.

“Good. Dragon chewing on itself can get injured and then can’t fly fall.” As though Bl’by didn’t know that. C’fan sighed and sipped his klah. “Least he’s got a rider with sense enough to help him. Good rider like you keeps his dragon in good shape.”

Dragon in decent shape, rider in.. slightly less decent shape, but better perhaps not to talk about that. Although, come to think of it that had been a very energetic flight and.. Bl’by drew a deep breath experimentally and then grinned in sudden delighted relief when it didn’t end in an irritating wheeze or trigger a sudden round of coughing. Apparently the incredibly strict Healer had been right about his lungs starting to improve. He huffed it out then in again, grin spreading across his face as coughing absolutely didn’t happen.

C’fan raised an eyebrow at the breathing and resulting happiness, curious and perplexed about the story there. “What’s with the breathing? You sick recently, because you’re acting like you haven’t breathed properly in a good while. Or is there something involving flights and you I don’t know about?” What it could be was beyond him.

If he had been delighted before he was ecstatic now. Bl’by beamed at him, because no matter what Cremsden had said, even with Cuylar gently backing him up, he hadn’t quite believed that his body might work properly again, not really. It had just felt too much like this was forever to believe anyone on that.

“It’s just probably the first flight I’ve had in a few months without wheezing at the end of it, that’s all,” he admitted, and tapped the scar on his chest, well-healed though it looked now. “Took a weird breathing injury when I took this one.”

“Oof,” C’fan winced in empathy. “Looks rough if you’re just now recovering from the breathing injury. Well congratulations, then. Can’t say I would have known what to do if you’d started hacking up a lung on me. Don’t have much healer skills beyond the basics they teach you as a rider. Definitely glad that sorted itself out.” He winced at the thought of someone going into a coughing fit and not coming out immediately while in bed with him.

Bl’by laughed. “Generally it resolved itself if I took it slow. Just that’s not always exactly what you’re looking for when it comes to a flight,” he admitted. He took another breath, enjoying the feeling of air hitting his lungs without causing a coughing fit and then shifted a little on the bed, moving on a whim suddenly to claim a kiss. Why not, if it wasn’t going to make him cough?

Now that caught C”fan by surprise. He’d not had a man like Bl’by kiss him like this before and didn’t know what to do at first. So he sat there a moment before leaning forward into the kiss with a hum. This was alright, then. It wasn’t like he was against being with a man, after all. A body was a body when it came to it.

The thing with Bl’by was that there was very little flirting to him. It was a trick with words and actions, a hint that something was welcome that he had never really mastered. Bl’by just..got on and did, because he was happy, because someone looked sad, because he was a little high on Fall adrenalin or the aftermath of flightlust, because right now it just felt like a good idea.

Unsurprisingly it was a tendency that had occasionally got him into trouble, but right now the situation didn’t feel like he was in trouble. It felt friendly and playful and he hadn’t even looked to see if there were knots somewhere in the clothes strewn around, hadn’t bothered to search his memory as to why C’fan looked familiar or why he might know Traynth had a bad chewing habit. He just kissed and was laughing as he finally broke away for breath, pleased with himself for reasons that had nothing at all to do with sex. “You have no idea how good it feels to do that without my chest going tight!”

C’fan laughed and shook his head though there was no malice in tone or action. “You’re amusing in a good way. Charming, even. I can imagine how good it must feel. While I’ve not had a ‘Score that bad, I’ve woken up to smoke filling my lungs that gave me a cough for a few days. Weyr on fire, fixed itself.” He left it vague out of experience. Fortian Bronzeriders, unless they were the new Seffers, still left a bad taste in the mouth. C’fan was having a good time and didn’t want who he had been ruin it. He’d rather have who he was now influence the moment.

“Ack, it’s the flight mostly,” Bl’by said cheerfully, experienced enough to recognise the source of the mood even if he didn’t fight it. Why would he fight it when letting himself enjoy it  was so much more fun. “Always takes me a while to come down afterwards. It’ll wear off eventually.” He sat up a little, not pulling away but taking a sip of his drink before it spilt or got cold. “Though breathing -- breathing feels sharding good too, honestly.”

“Hey I’m not in a rush,” C’fan assured him with a wave. “Not like I have ranking duties to tend to. Thought about becoming an AWLM but I don’t think I could keep Resmeinth from flying Thread each time our wing is supposed to go up. He couldn’t just sit by with Weyrlings and let a Fall happen even knowing that other dragons are flying it. What about Traynth? Think he could ever do it?”

“Shells, no.” Bl’by said that firmly with a quick shake of his head. “He might be all right, but I’d hate it. Shards, going as fast as you can for a Fall is the best bit; no way I’d want to have to slow up and keep an eye for a bunch of kids if I could be in a wing again. No, as soon as this thing heals up we’re back in the sky.” And now it felt like it would heal up and that was just fantastic.

He grinned again, and didn’t bother to hide a frank admiring glance over C’fan’s body. “So, if you’re not in a rush--” he started, invitation in his voice.

C’fan would have to be blind and deaf to miss that. “Yeah, I’ve got time and inclination.” He grinned with a bit of an appreciative leer in his expression as he reached for the other.

******

It was some time later. Some time and a lot of expended energy and if Bl’by’s lungs had managed not to give out on him the rest of his body was feeling very pleasantly wrung out and as though perhaps never moving again might be a good item to put high on the agenda and leave there. He groaned appreciatively, considered rolling over and then decided that felt like a great deal too much effort.

“I think you broke me,” he suggested, words mumbled into the pillow although there was no complaint there.

C’fan laughed into the back of the man’s head and nodded while still panting. “Same, I think that I broke the pair of us. Ah, damn.” He paused for a yawn. “They’re going to come looking for us if we stay here too much longer. I really, really don’t want to have someone walk in here and see me like this. Nothing against the way I am right now, but if it’s, like, a drudge or someone who will gossip, then they’ll all know what size I am, there’ll be stares and questions, and it will just be annoying.” C’fan laughed as he sat up slowly and stretched.

Bl’by snorted into the pillow. “Believe me, you’ve nothing to fear from those rumours,” he said dryly, trying to summon the will to move. “Surely anyone wanting you would go through your dragon first?”

“Wanting me, sure. But cleaners typically don’t go through dragons and just enter a room. I want to think that I locked the door but I honestly have no idea.”

“It’s a flight room.” But Bl’by pushed himself up anyway, reluctantly. “People don’t tend to enter without knocking unless they intend on joining in. Argh. What did you do to me?”

C’fan laughed while helping the other up. “From the sound of you, damn good sex. I have to admit, you’re a good partner yourself. Want to hit the dining hall after this? We’ll need something in our stomachs pretty soon.”

“I need a wash before I go anywhere amongst people who didn’t spend the last half day or so in a flightroom,” Bl’by admitted. “I’d say I’d meet you after but I’m not sure I’m moving ever again after, so.” There was a laugh in that as he leaned stiffly to scoop clothes up from the floor. “You know we missed out the whole exchanging name bit somewhere in there.”

C’fan laughed again and gave a wink to the other man. “C’fan of Resmeinth. My bronze told me who you were after I woke up, so I’ve known about you. Guess I assumed that Traynth would tell you who I am, but that’s what I get for assuming.”

Bronze? Finally Bl’by’s brain succeeded in stuttering a warning through the flightlust fogging his brain. He paused, shirt crumpled in his hand, frowning only very slightly. “I-- know you, don’t I?” he said, words very careful suddenly, a little of the bounce gone. “Or I know your name.”

“Probably. I used to be at Fort before the fall. Resmeinth woke me up before I was murdered.” C’fan’s tone was casual as he shrugged into his shirt and adjusted his knots. He worked his way into his pants next. “Ow, sensitive. After that, I went to High Reaches before they stole that gold egg, then I bothered Wygelle for a while before I was sent here. So there’s a number of places you could know me from.”

Well, that was a very quick way to sober up from the flight brain fuzziness. The shift in Bl’by’s body language was sudden and not at all subtle, all the cheerful flirtiness quickly dropped. He slipped his shirt on, not body-shy exactly but quiet, wary suddenly, stiffness apparently forgotten as he quickly and efficiently did his buttons up.

Something was wrong, C’fan noticed with a frown as he straightened up. What experience did Bl’by have with Fort or maybe High Reaches?

“Hey…” C’fan began softly, almost tenderly even. “I’m not the bad guy, no matter where I’m from. If I was bad, let’s be real, best case scenario I’d be gone by now. Worst case, you wouldn’t be okay physically. I’m not one of those super macho heterosexual manly man who’s manly bronzeriders. Yes, I’m very much a man, but I’ll sleep with a man without a problem. Obviously, or I wouldn’t have hooked up with you. I’m not a predator.”

“Sorry.” And he managed to tease a half-smile out of Bl’by even if the bluerider was a little tense still. “Old Fort instincts I guess.” If he’d been big enough that most of the Fort predators had picked easier targets that hadn’t meant he didn’t know what was happening, or that there hadn’t been a few close calls.

“Yeah, that makes sense,” C’fan agreed with a careful nod. “I won’t force anything out of you, or in you for that matter. If you never want to see me again, I’ll do what I can to make it happen barring wing requirements. I’m not a predator, never have been. I do like hunting down a good lay but I understand the word ‘no’.”

“Oh! I-- no.” And Bl’by went a little pink because even had he realised he had the option of requesting C’fan never see him again it was unlikely the thought would ever have crossed his mind. “No, sir, that wouldn’t be necessary.” The ‘sir’ crept in unconsciously, unnoticed even as it slipped out of his mouth.

“You don’t have to call me ‘sir’ either,” C’fan reassured him softly. “I’ve no rank save that which my dragon’s hide gives me. You’re a good bluerider as a person as I can only surmise you’re good in the sky, too. We’re equals in that regard. Who knows, Traynth might be why Resmeinth comes back to Pern safely one day.”

“He might at that.” A little gentleness and the smile was coaxed out again, maybe not as blindly delighted with the world as before but it was there and it was genuine -- or else he was really good at faking it. “We’re sharding speedy when they let us up there.”

“For such a big rider, that’s almost a surprise. But then, it’s always the big ones you have to watch out for.” C’fan yawned again and stretched. “Res gets this huge burst of speed sometimes and it’s the most adrenaline-pumping thing I’ve ever witnessed. ‘Course, it does a number on his stamina.”

“Ah, not my size that makes the difference though, is it? Traynth was the smallest blue in his Clutch.” Nudged into talking about his dragon, Bl’by was..maybe not quite so chatty as before but certainly willing to be coaxed out of the awkward silence as he pulled his pants on. Because he adored Traynth, adored being given a chance to talk about the little blue, and even with a bronzer that felt safe. “Tiny wee thing, he was, the idea of me riding him felt like plain cruelty. Then one day something scared him and he went for me for safety.” Bl’by smiled reminiscently. “Just about flattened me, he did, and I remember thinking ‘huh, well, you are growing then, my lad, maybe this will work out after all’.”

Hearing Bl’by talk about when his dragon was small made C’fan smile tenderly while thinking about when Redmeinth was, as well. “When Resmeinth hatched, he was so pale that I thought he was a gold that his mother had let mingle with the rest of the eggs. One word out of him, though, and I knew better. He had such problems with his wings, kept tripping over them left and right, and he’d get so mad whenever someone would laugh at it.” Outside, he felt his dragon snort in derision at his rider’s retelling of events. “Brat’s mad at me now for telling you. He’ll get over it soon enough.”

“Upsetting his dignity?” Bl’by glanced at him, smiling, and then away, eyes focusing to the side of C’fan’s face. It wasn’t a conscious habit but one he still retained even with N’shen. You looked to the side, you looked down, you didn’t look rankers in the face because-- you just didn’t. Even when you were being friendly, even when they were being nice.

“Sometimes I wonder if he’s not in fact secretly a queen with the way he acts.” C’fan couldn’t help a snigger at that as he finished dressing. “Right. You said baths which sound good. Meet back up in the dining hall? I’m still interested in breakfast with you, but I won’t force it. I mean, you seemed pretty iffy about me after finding out I’m Fortian.”

“I--” The agreement wanted to come, the words hovering on Bl’by’s lips. It was only the memory of old trouble holding them back; the memory that this, fun as it seemed, this was dangerous. That the thing about rankers was that however much they might let you play at being equal for a short while when it came to something that mattered to them the decisions would suddenly no longer be something within your power.

(Ah, and what would a Fort ranker say if he found out about that, a bluerider who had the audacity to let himself get adopted as bedmate to a Weyrwoman for a short while, at least until it all went wrong. Remember that. Remember that it always goes wrong.)

“...Maybe another day?” he suggested after a moment. Another day when he’d had time to clear his head, when it didn’t feel as though he might rush headlong into a bad decision just because-- just because, really. “I’ve got drills later, and-- it’s been a while. I need to do strap checking and the like.”

Skeptical at first, C’fan decided to not push. Maybe the other did have drills- they weren’t in the same wing so it wasn’t like C’fan knew any different. And even if it was a lie, what was it to him? C’fan was surprised to find it mattered. “Alright,” he eventually agreed with a nod and shrug. “Just find me in the dining hall or have Traynth bespeak Resmeinth whenever. Good luck with your drills.”

In his spot by the lake, Resmeinth rolled over to get sun on his scarred and freshly-healed belly while searching mentally for Traynth. When he found him, the bronze gave a friendly rumble. {{Mine likes yours.}}

Bl’by had at least managed to look vaguely normal once he’d recovered from the initial shock. Traynth had been comfortably stretched out by the Lake, lazing as he recovered from the flight. The approach of the bronze was enough to startle the little blue and he snapped out of that pose into a submissive crouch, only barely stopping himself from shoving his tail into his mouth. ((He does?)) It was a meek little mental voice. Bl’by had seemed quieter and maybe a little unsettled by finding out who C’fan was. Traynth was just flat-out scared.

Resmeinth wasn’t an idiot and saw the fear in the little blue as well as heard it. But he also wasn’t cruel like some could be.

{{Yes. C’fan finds him charming in his way, even though he’s big enough to be a brown or bronzerider. He doesn’t try to suck up or wheedle, but he also didn’t immediately start crying or begging when he found out that we’re Fortian. C’fan would have left without a word at that. He wouldn’t have hurt yours, of course, he just would have left.))

((He doesn’t cry.)) Fierce defense of his rider in that, even as Traynth still crouched humbly, tail wound tightly around his body to his front legs. No, Bl’by didn’t cry except in true catastrophe, even when things were very bad Bl’by could usually put up a decent front.

The only slight issue was that whenever he pushed away all that anxiety he tended to push it straight into Traynth. The end of his tail twitched nervously. ((He doesn’t like tears.))

{{Really?}} The fervent denial was surprising. Was there some reason for it? Probably, for a blue to feel it so strongly. Resmeinth settled again in the warm sand with a yawn. {{Why?}}

((They scare him,)) Traynth admitted in a reluctant mutter. He didn’t need telling that admitting weaknesses to a bronze could be dangerous. Then again he also didn’t need telling that when a bronze asked a question you answered. ((He doesn’t know how to fix them.))

There was more there, the vague awareness fuzzy in the way of draconic memory that once tears had been used as a weapon, that an uncomfortable reaction of “please do anything to make this stop” was by now embedded so deeply in his rider that Bl’by barely noticed the reflex. But that would have been hard even for bl’by himself to explain, almost impossible for Traynth.

Resmeinth ruminated on that for a few moments. {{That is… understandable. C’fan has witnessed tears and does not like them. They make him feel like he has to fix them and often he cannot. He dropped his last mark for it. But your rider did not cry, even after learning who C’fan was, so he is acceptable.}}

It should have been good news. Being praised by a bronze almost always was. Traynth could barely understand himself the instinct that made him hunch up tighter rather than welcoming it. ((He doesn’t cry,)) he repeated, voice small and stiff. ((Or almost never. But..)) It would be impudence to voice the words in his mind, that regardless of that C’fan should leave his rider alone and safe. ((But.. it was only a flight anyway,)) he finished instead, hopefully. ((Wasn’t it?))

{{I think so,}} Resmeinth confirmed. {{Even still, your rider wasn’t annoying. Neither are you, which is good for me. Your behavior is very much acceptable for a blue. My rider would want to meet yours again on a friendly basis. He doesn’t mingle as much as he should with other riders. Yours is a good one, as are you.}}

And what was there to say to that which wouldn’t get him into trouble? Very little, so Traynth went quiet instead, curled quietly into his ball. Very privately he hoped to himself that this one time his rider could be the unremarkable type who did not warrant further attention. Just this once.