Topics

Gather: Tailor Stall (Attn: Bronwynn, Z'rain)

Aaron

"Think I might need something fancier?" came a familiar voice.

Z'rain was dressed for the occasion, likely in something Bronwynn herself had made. He had meant it to be, but it was possible he was misremembering where he got this particular outfit.

It was nice to be out of the winter cold of the North, and living as he did near a desert, his summer clothes were thankfully appropriate for an Arolos summer. Glossith certainly appreciated the opportunity for a warmer sun.

***

“Gather clothes here! Come take a look! A bit too hot in what you’re wearing? Or maybe you want something a little more special to go dancing in? I’ve got just what you need!"

Rosiegirl

Bronwynn had just paused in her calling out to the crowd and turned to check on the arrangement of some of the items on the table when a familiar voice had her whirling around quickly with a gasp as the layers of her white flowy dress drifted around her from the whirl. That gasp turned to an excited “Z’rain?!” and then a heartbeat later she was moving toward him.

A bright, happy smile on her face, Bronwynn rushed forward, dress swirling around her legs, to give her half-brother an enthusiastic hug. It had been so long since she’d seen him.

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 2:48 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
"Think I might need something fancier?" came a familiar voice.

Z'rain was dressed for the occasion, likely in something Bronwynn herself had made. He had meant it to be, but it was possible he was misremembering where he got this particular outfit.

It was nice to be out of the winter cold of the North, and living as he did near a desert, his summer clothes were thankfully appropriate for an Arolos summer. Glossith certainly appreciated the opportunity for a warmer sun.

***

“Gather clothes here! Come take a look! A bit too hot in what you’re wearing? Or maybe you want something a little more special to go dancing in? I’ve got just what you need!"

Aaron

Z'rain laughed happily as he embraced his sister. It really had been too long. There really was nothing like seeing that smile.

"Hey, Bron. How have you been?" he asked her.

***

That gasp turned to an excited “Z’rain?!” and then a heartbeat later she was moving toward him.

A bright, happy smile on her face, Bronwynn rushed forward, dress swirling around her legs, to give her half-brother an enthusiastic hug. It had been so long since she’d seen him.

Rosiegirl

((OOC: Omg, I'm so sorry! I don't know how I missed this thread when doing all my others before!))

Hugging him tightly, smiling wide as she wrapped her arms tightly around him, it was several long moments before she loosened her arms and pulled back to reply.

"I'm doing...actually pretty great! I had an amazing sale of a Gather dress not too long ago, not at this Gather, and...I even won a bit of marks on Hard Luck. I couldn't believe that he actually won!" Smiling, touching the fabric of her dress Bronwynn added "I've come up with a different type of fabric, one that's lighter and breathable but still a bit sturdy, meaning less likely to cause overheating in this heat if you layer the fabric, and it seems to be a bit of a hit too." Smiling, she added "Wysin's going to be so upset he missed seeing you, with me working the booth I didn't bring him to the Gather this early. He's 6 turns old now, I still can't believe it!"

Pulling back a bit more, Bronwynn asked eagerly "But what about you? How have you been?" Even as she asked, she raked her eyes down his form remembering his question that had startled her. She did, indeed, recognize the outfit he was wearing as one she'd made...and it still *looked* in relatively ok condition, but it didn't hurt to get something *new* to wear either.

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 7:46 AM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
Z'rain laughed happily as he embraced his sister. It really had been too long. There really was nothing like seeing that smile.

"Hey, Bron. How have you been?" he asked her.

***

That gasp turned to an excited “Z’rain?!” and then a heartbeat later she was moving toward him.

A bright, happy smile on her face, Bronwynn rushed forward, dress swirling around her legs, to give her half-brother an enthusiastic hug. It had been so long since she’d seen him.

Aaron

Z'rain whistled.

"Six Turns, Faranth. He'll be a grown man before I know it, won't he? Well, I've got all day," he said. "If you're not ready to get rid of me, maybe I could see him after things wrap up here today?"

"I've been... OK," he continued. He was not sure he would ever be great, but seeing his sister helped. He should visit more. He would consider asking for a transfer if it would not mean giving up everything he had at Igen, too... "I'm happy to see you."

***

[...]

Bronwynn smiled at her brother’s whistle and comments, then gave a mock look of horror and shake of her head at his words about her son growing up. She couldn’t even picture it! Smiling again as Z’rain mentioned he had all day, and the possibility of seeing Wysin later, Bronwynn finally dropped her hands and pulled all the way back from their embrace.

At his hesitant reply, a quick look of concern flashed over her face before she could stop it. She was worried about him and what he’d been through at Fort, but she’d asked him several times to come to Arolos. Not just because then he’d be closer to her and be more involved in her and Wysin’s lives, but because Arolos had been so *good* for her that she hoped it would be good for Z’rain too. Sadly, he’d not wanted to transfer to Arolos the times she’d mentioned it...so she had learned to stop asking or hinting. She didn’t want to be a nag, and had just learned to accept and be happy with the visits she *did* get with him.

At his last words, Wynn smiled wide and said “I’m *overjoyed* to see you! It’s been far too long. And of course I don’t want to get rid of you! If you want to, you could hang around the booth all day and we can catch up between customers. But, if you do want to go see some of the Gather sights instead, that’s fine too. And yes, Wysin would be so happy to see you. It would just make his day.” As Wynn said that last part, her smile faded slightly and she added in a more serious tone “And I’m really glad you’re...ok at Igen. You know I worry about how you’re doing.”

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 6:18 AM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
[...]

"I'm mostly here to see you and Wysin," said Z'rain. "So I might go poke around, but I'll be here most of the day." He smiled, hoping to reassure her. He was OK at Igen. Better than he ever had been in his life. The only thing that would have made it better is if Bronwynn and Wysin were there with him. But they felt the same way about Arolos that he did about Igen.

"I'm going great, Wynn, honest. But I think I need to start making the time to come down to see you more often."

Rosiegirl

Bronwynn couldn't help the happy smile as Z'rain said he was here to see her and her son, and that he'd spent time with her for most of the day. Even if that meant that she didn't get to help as many potential customers with him hanging around her stall, she didn't care at the moment. With a grin, Bronwynn replied with "Well, before you go poke around somewhere else let's see if I have something new you'd like to wear. I might have something that you'd like in that lighter fabric I was talking about, to see what you think of it?" It also wouldn't hurt to have him showing off her clothing as he wandered the Gather, but that was a lesser concern of hers.

As he smiled to reassure her, and said that he really was doing good Wynn couldn't quite keep the slightly skeptical and concerned look off her face completely. Still, she let him believe she was reassured, for the moment, and nodded as she responded with "Well, it doesn't all just fall on you to visit. I could work on visiting Igen more with Wysin, and I'm sorry I haven't. I really should visit you more there, see what or *who* keeps you living there." As she said the 'who', Wynn couldn't help the small grin she gave her brother, even as the grin showed there were truly no hard feelings that he'd chosen not to move to Arolos and be closer to her.

After that grin, she continued with "But seeing you more, whether here or at Igen, wouldn't go amiss. Otherwise, Wysin might suddenly be 12 turns old and doing...who knows what craft or life path after the creche!" With that last bit, Wynn let a bit more of the previous mock horror leak into her voice at imagining her little boy being 12 turns old!

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 8:33 AM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
[...]

"More than one who, actually," said Z'rain. He blushed. Even after all these Turns, there was still enough Fort in him that it was difficult to talk about things that would have seen him beaten or worse there. Things that made him happy. "If it were only one, it might be easier to convince them to move, but... they've all got family at Igen, too, so... you understand. I hope."

"Anyway, I would absolutely love to try on something new."

Rosiegirl

As her brother said it was *more* than one, Bronwynn's eyebrows rose slightly in surprise but the grin that spread on her face showed she was happy that *he* was happy. She took in his blush and tried to give him a look reassuring him that she wasn't judging him.

As he finished, Wynn nodded her head saying "Z'rain, really it's ok. I understand. I'm just glad you're happy finally, and you should hold onto that happiness. I just hope I can finally hear about them while we are catching up today." As she finished, Wynn smiled to show she really was ok, as even though she'd been hoping he'd eventually move here with her she did understand.

With his last words, Wynn put a hand on his arm saying happily "Alright, then let's get looking!" as she turned slightly and waved with a hand at her booth with it's makeshift portable racks of hanging clothes.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 3:41 PM Aaron <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
[...]

Z'rain perked up considerably after seeing that Bronwynn was at least refraining from judging him out loud! He chuckled and followed her to look at the clothes on the rack.

"I'd be happy to tell you about them," he said. "There's, ah. Well. He blushed. There's B'nault. He was a miner before he got Searched and Impressed at High Reaches. And then he found his way to Igen a while later. Took him a while to get used to the heat."

"And there's J'ril. He was a runner. Spent a good bit of his younger days running up and down the east coast up North at Benden. He ended up running up to the Weyr one day, and well, the rest is history as they say. And then he transferred to Igen, too. B'nault and J'ril, they're together, too."

"And there's Gabril. He grew up at Keroon. He's a master beastcrafter, and they brought him to the weyr to work with the herdsmen there. And you should see the man in his herding gear." He laughed. "It's a sight to behold."

Rosiegirl

Bronwynn noticed that he perked up at her words, and couldn't help but wonder if Z'rain had actually thought she'd be upset or judge him for being happy...even if the happiness was with more than one person. Yes, she'd been raised at Fort but she'd always struggled with how strict they'd been...beyond the fact that it felt like she'd been in danger every day once she'd grown up a bit to be exposed to that side of Fort's atmosphere. So she was ecstatic that he was so happy where he was, regardless of how many people he was with.

Being an amazing multitasker, as she led Z'rain over to the racks of men's clothes she had and began looking through the hangers she was able to pull a few tunics to show him while at the same time listening to him talking, glancing back and forth from him to the clothing rack during the conversation.

Bronwynn smiled as she noticed him blush when he began talking about 'B'nault' the former miner from High Reaches, and reminded herself to either offer him a shirt made from her 'lighter fabric' for B'nault or see if maybe he'd be interested in visiting to get measured and properly fit, so that he could maybe stay a bit cooler in Igen.

Then there was 'J'ril' a former runner from Benden, who's also with B'nault. And finally Gabril from Keroon, a master beastcrafter too! Bronwynn couldn't help but look a bit impressed as Z'rain mentioned that, and blushed a bit at his last comment even as she laughed with him and replied with "Oh really? Now I simply *must* meet them all!"

As she pulled another shirt off the rack, so that she was holding 6 choices, Bronwynn asked "So, 2 riders and a master beastcrafter hmm? Sounds like a full weyr, at the very least. And you mentioned there is family as well, for them? What colors do B'nault and J'ril ride? You mentioned B'nault and J'ril are together, but then talked about Gabril separately. Is he not with the riders? And...how does he feel about the whole arrangement? I mean, I'm assuming it works because you're happy, I was just curious...and you can tell me to butt out and stop asking questions if you need to. I won't be offended."

Heading over to one of her 'changing areas' that she'd set up, Bronwynn held out to Z'rain the shirts she'd picked, all in that nice, lighter, breathable fabric that didn't *look* light and breathable, being a bit deceptive in their looks. With a smile and a wave toward the privacy curtain she offered "Go ahead and try them on. Let me know what you think and which you like more, or even if none of those options work for you."