Topics

Gather: Callamere Whers Stall Atten: Marsali, Revai

Rosiegirl

She'd spent so long admiring the race runners and asking some very specific and detailed questions, especially those beautiful Callamere Whites, that she'd finally annoyed the stablehands enough for them to direct her to the Callamere where stall if she had more questions.

So of course, after the race and picking up her winnings, the very short girl (standing at a flat 5 feet tall) hurried over to the stall she'd been directed to. In a nice pair of pants, instead of a skirt like most girls today, and a nice but kind of simple looking loose blouse with a clear set of candidate knots hanging from her shoulder, she had some curves but they were mostly hidden. It was the bright silky sheen of her pale blond hair pulled back into a runner-tail bobbing back and forth as she walked that helped people to realize she was indeed a girl.

Approaching the stall, she waited patiently while others who were clearly interested in buying a wher or otherwise asking questions about them finished up, and then once it was clear she walked up. In a happy, polite voice she inquired "Hello there, miss Revai?"

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:46 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Prominently set in the middle of the Gather were the adjoined Callamere Wher and Wherhall stalls to the right was Callamere with Revai at the head. There she had a selection of eggs and even a number of whelps of the "pet" variety of whers that had been in development for turns. They weren't pets like a cat or dog, but they were designed to be dumber, more obedient, and smaller than the earlier lines and therefore hopefully safer for people wanting whers who weren't using them as working whers. Ever picky, she was quick to toss out on their ear anyone she thought that would mistreat her whers or would be unable to handle them. Never one out for a simple mark, especially when there was always someone else right behind them ready to buy anyway.

OOC: Anyone wanting a more "pet-like" wher can approach Revai who will ICly decide whether to sell or not.

sailyn2

Revai noticed the young woman next. "Can I help you?"

Rosiegirl

Glancing around just to be sure no one else was waiting, when Revai spoke directly to her Marsali straightened up slightly and smiled at the other woman while greeting her with a friendly "Good afternoon, Ma'am. I hope you've had a wonderful Gather so far. I'm actually curious about your Callamere White runners and wanted to find out more about them, if you're not too busy? The stablehands where the Arolos Cup runners were located directed me here."

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 10:18 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Revai noticed the young woman next. "Can I help you?"

sailyn2

Revai looked her up and down. "Yes, I have a couple to sell. Not to just anybody. You're a Candidate,yes? I don't generally sell to Candidates."

Rosiegirl

At Revai's words about having a couple to sell, and not selling normally to candidates, Marsali's eyes widened slightly in surprise even as she quickly shook her head and replied with quick reassurances "Oh no, I wasn't meaning to buy one...at least not right now! Yes, I am a candidate. I've only been at the Weyr since just after the earthquake, joined the Beastcraft here. But I grew up around runners on my grandpa's cothold, and just wanted to know a bit more about yours runners specifically, Ma'am."

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 9:26 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Revai looked her up and down. "Yes, I have a couple to sell. Not to just anybody. You're a Candidate,yes? I don't generally sell to Candidates."

sailyn2

"Ah," Revai relaxed. "What would you like to know?"

Rosiegirl

At the other's question, Marsali's mouth opened and her most immediate reply would have just been 'Everything!'. But she quickly changed that broad statement to something a little more specific and asked "Well, what makes your runners so specifically different from other runner bloodlines? Aside from their beautiful coloring, of course, as that's fairly obvious. And how long have you been working on perfecting this bloodline of Callamere White Runners?"

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:18 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"Ah," Revai relaxed. "What would you like to know?"

sailyn2

"We've been in business for a few decades," Revai said. "We breed for stamina and strength, but beauty as well. Some of our runners are better for the race circuit. Some are better for working elsewhere. They can be used for work and for pleasure riding, but they're generally too spirited for beginner riders."

Rosiegirl

Marsali listened intently to Revai's description, nodding at the end as she replied with "That's what I noticed, that it looked like they needed an experienced jockey during the race and clearing those jumps. Their stamina, speed, and jumping ability was very impressive.  I was so glad I was here to be able to watch the race!"

"I believe that for a while 2 full Callameres, SilverStrike and Queen's Glory, and 1 half-Callamere contender, SilverSquared, were all in the lead, until another runner next to SilverSquared tripped over a jump. But even then, SilverSquared had the amazing dexterity to be able to avoid being tripped by the downed runner/rider pair, although he did throw his rider while avoiding being tripped. Would you say that showing of dexterity was due to his half-Callamere lineage?"

After a moment to consider her next questions, Marsali asked politely "You said they are spirited, Ma'am. What makes them so hot-headed? And, what type of handling do they respond best to? How intelligent has the Callamere line shown themselves to be, and do you believe it makes them easier or harder to train? And, what about their conformation? They looked, from a distance, to be quite structurally sound and well put together, well balanced. So, if you've had any physical defects in the line over the decades, how have you handled them?"

Marsali paused a moment before adding at the end "Do they have a smooth gait, or is it a bit more bumpy?