Topics

GATHER: Callamere Stall - Firelizards (NPC Giselle/D'cul)

Ren

Deeply happy so far, D'cul decided to pay the Callamere stall a visit. Not the wherstall, he already had his Ducar and that good boy was more than enough. No, this time he'd visit the firelizard stall and see what there was to see. So he entered and looked at the eggs out for display, hands clasped behind his back as he inspected the wares. For now, he was just looking. If anyone approached him, that may change. One caught his eye, a spiraling of glittering bronze and brown colors that reminded him of an agenothree cloud caught in the sun, but less deadly.
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

Whenever someone approached the eggs, they were always watched a little more carefully. As did the few discreet Guards who weren't in uniform and just happened to mill about the compound. "Good Gather to you, and fair skies, Rider!" Came Giselle's cheerful greeting, glancing up at the man but clearly not taking a step towards him. She always hated the Traders that pounced on you the second you approached but she always made sure to greet anyone who came into her tent with a bright welcome.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 12:00 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Ren

Looking to the woman who addressed him, D'cul gave her a genuine smile and respectful nod. "Good Gather, madam. You certainly have some fantastic eggs here. I can't say that I've ever seen so many firelizard eggs in one place. I'm to assume that they're all for sale? I've been long considering one and would prefer one I have a guarantee of health of."
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

Stepping a little closer, Giselle had nodded at him. "Yes, they're all for sale and they've all been candled to confirm viability. For a Callamere never to hatch is exceptionally rare and certainly not as normal to see compared to wild found clutches. We have a carefully maintained and monitored incubation set up that is designed to regulate temperatures and allow for precise management of clutches." Of course, she wouldn't tell him that these weren't even a quarter of the eggs they held and that there were significantly more at the Hold. Even their carefully limited Gather stock was an impressive number.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 1:28 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
Looking to the woman who addressed him, D'cul gave her a genuine smile and respectful nod. "Good Gather, madam. You certainly have some fantastic eggs here. I can't say that I've ever seen so many firelizard eggs in one place. I'm to assume that they're all for sale? I've been long considering one and would prefer one I have a guarantee of health of."
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Ren

Respect was clear in D'cul's tone and expression as he regarded Giselle. "Clearly I did come to the right place. That's a level of care I aspire to give to one of these creatures if you'll have me. I've the spare marks to afford it, ah but then I suppose that there are different prices per color. It looks like they're arranged by size," he gestured to the different trays, "So I'm going to presume that's an indication of different colors. What would this one be?" He gestured to the gorgeous egg that had caught his attention, which would have been sitting on a bronze tray.
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

"Different prices, yes. However we assess the suitability of all interested in purchasing our stock and reserve the right to refuse sale at any time." Not that she was saying she was refusing sale, it was clear that she was just laying down terms. Her eyes followed his hand's movement and she gave a nod. "So that's our bronze tray. All eggs have an extremely high probability of hatching the colour that we assess them as. It is possible for a bronze allocated egg to hatch brown but it's rare. Same going the other way, a brown allocated egg could actually hatch a small bronze - but again, it's unlikely."

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 1:15 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

"So this one here," D'cul gestured at the one he had taken a liking to, "It looks like a medium size, so it's more likely to be a bronze than a brown? Also, not that I'm looking for one, but have you ever had a large bronze egg become a gold? Or do firelizards do as dragons do and lay actual golden eggs for their golds? Fascinating creatures... Would I be able to purchase this egg, while we're at it? I've taken a shine to it from its mesmerizing colors."
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

"You can potentially buy it. But I need to determine your degree of knowledge surrounding firelizards to begin with. Bronzes are hard to train due to their temperament. So we don't hand them over just because someone can afford them. We need to assess the risk of a Callamere going wild which we don't want." He was asking questions, that in itself was positive.

"So firelizard eggs look fairly similar to each other. They're often neutral shades which is likely a camouflage trait. So mostly browns, maybe some hints of greens, sandy colours and so on. The only difference is a gold because it's significantly larger and does have a gold tint to it. So a gold is nearly always identifiable from those traits - we've never had a bronze assessed egg hatch gold but I suspect it would be potentially easier to occur in wild clutches due to the overall smaller size of wild eggs. There is very little discrepancy in sizes compared to dragons - hence why all of the eggs are in the same size ranges. We just look for additional details that allow us to determine the likely colour. Hence why the trays are laid out the way they are. They have all been pre-assessed and categorised into the colour we believe they're most likely to hatch."

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 12:54 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

"Absolutely brilliant," D'cul murmured while looking down at the egg before looking at Giselle. "I admit that I've never owned a firelizard before but I have delt with my dragon as well as my wher. Ducar is very well-behaved and more interested in his little shiny rock than most anything else. He's a slow creature and well-trained. He's Callamere, too, which helped in training after I bonded to him. Of course, I don't know how well wher training would transfer to training a baby firelizard which can fly and go between."
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

Ah. Now that put a slight twist on things. "A wher as well? How old are they roughly? And what measures would you implement to stop a firelizard becoming a wher snack? Whers have a different prey drive to dragons - small and flapping around will definitely catch their attention. Did you say he's bonded as opposed to Impressed?" That possibly put a dent in things. She would have to see what he said.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 1:21 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

"Ducar is about twelve, if I'm right," D'cul answered, noticing that her attitude had changed. Listening, he understood why. "Considering how slow-moving he is, I doubt that he'd catch a firelizard, but to actually answer you, I would probably work more on his 'leave it' command. He's good with that as it is, but extra training won't hurt. Knowing him as I do, he'll likely be more entranced with watching the little guy than trying to eat him. And yes, he is bonded. I believe it was... Athesta? Someone at the Callamere stall educated me roughly on bonding versus Impressing whers and the way that she spoke had be believing that bonding was the better way to go."

OOC: I have on his sheet that he bought Ducar at the 12th Gather, though honestly I'm not sure. It was probably right honestly
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

"He's not a young wher, that was my primary concern. To be honest if you had said he was under a turn, I would have been declining a sale purely on the grounds that you already have a creature that takes up significant training time." And this was why they took the time to ask questions. Although Callamere's screening process was probably a little more intensive than most. "Emphasising from the start is worthwhile and ensuring you maintain the same approach for continuity to prevent confusion and to keep the message clear. You very much want it to be ingrained that firelizard is off-limits always and not just when they're small."

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 1:37 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

"Ducar will have no problem with that, Lady," D'cul replied with sureity. "If anything, he'll be most content to sleep on the floor while the firelizard uses him as a living perch. My boy couldn't care less about things touching him so long as they're not malicious. I must say, I appreciate the effort that you put forth to make sure that the firelizards go to good and capable homes. I would not have been upset being turned away for that reason- I've heard all too well of firelizards being eaten by whers."
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

Giselle was somewhat surprised by the compliment, usually they had people complaining that she was much too harsh. "I think you're the first to actually say we're not being unreasonable. You'd be amazed at how many people protest that we're being unfair." It was accompanied with a roll of her eyes that seemed to say that people were sometimes much too insufferable for her liking.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 2:06 AM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

"People like that probably shouldn't have a firelizard to start with," D'cul noted. "It brings into question just how well they'd care for the creature if they're insistent on acquiring a living being despite having questionable living conditions for it. That said, my weyr is comfortable, particularly craggy in places where a firelizard might enjoy hanging and climbing about, my wher is placid and won't hunt it, and my bronze is calm and stately. He, too, will refrain from eating a firelizard."

{{Should it behave,}} Seteieth murmured quietly to himself, not even letting D'cul hear.

"Ultimately, of course, the decision rests with you, Lady Giselle. May I purchase a firelizard, specifically the glimmering egg that caught my interest?"
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, C'fan (Fort), D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer), Ozfini (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

Giselle seemed to consider for a moment and as she did, it was clear that the man was under serious inspection. Whilst the man was clearly somewhat exuberant with his wording, it didn't have the slimy undertones of trying to just get his own way. There did seem to be a genuine enthusiasm there and she could appreciate that. "Well," she said finally, "It does appear that you've taken concerns regarding your wher to mind. What I would recommend is that you pay a visit to Tyne at the Weyr as she can assist with any training or general care concerns that you might have. Especially being a bronze. They're vain, impatient and easily bored even when they're having a good day. Plus she has her own gold as well as her own Hears All ability which can help put a stamp on things if you find he is being problematic. With our bronzes, much as with our golds, we also ask that you be willing to consider returning to the Hold if requested if it is identified that he be of particularly desirable stock. Again, this is something Tyne would be able to identify as we have been in liaison with her regarding her own firelizard work. Other than that, I don't see why there would be an issue in you having the egg that's caught your eye."

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 2:14 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

Relief and joy flooded D'cul, so strong that even Seteieth raised his head where he was sunning with a swift blue hue in his eyes. Swiftly composing himself, D'cul nodded with an honest smile. "Thank you, Lady Giselle. That's quite the honor since you're so sure this will be a bronze. I'm ready to pay now, and I assume that I should take the egg straight back to my weyr so it can stay warm?"
--
Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Nutmeg

"Yes, I would recommend at the very least, that you take it back to your weyr and set it up in a warm environment. We anticipate it will be at least three to four days before it shows signs of cracking so you won't need to sit and stare at it!" She was moving to the egg table, reaching under the surface for the pots they kept stacked and ready. It didn't take long to have the egg potted up, the top barely peeking out through the sand. "We can provide a satchel if you don't have anything to carry it in. We usually recommend it over carrying the pot directly. Too easy for accidents to happen."