Topics

GATHER: Callamere Stall - Firelizards (NPC Giselle/S'nen)

Steelsilver

One trader caravan was eagerly awaited every Mid-Summer Gather and the Callamere compound was always a sight to see. The large paddocks housing the Callamere White runners - their coats glinting brightly in the morning sun as they tossed their heads and flicked their tails. Near that was the large, text like structure where the wher-pups for Bonding were available to be seen, watched over by Revai’s trio of golds and beyond that again was the firelizard stall - the roof of the open-fronted tent festooned with firelizards trilling their merry song, darting through the air like colourful flags.

This Turn, it was not Sythy manning the stall but rather her replacement, her younger sister Giselle, the blonde-haired woman the spitting image of her father, Riv. Tall but lean, her blonde hair braided and wearing a light blue belted tunic, she struck a cheerful figure as she carefully fussed over the trays of eggs that had been arranged and marked up with their colour and prices. On her shoulder, draped with casual elegance was the unmistakable shape of a Callamere gold firelizard who inspected her Mistress’s handiwork with a discerning eye.
When they were finally ready to go, the barriers were taken down, the gangway cleared and the stall was open to all!

S'nen spotted the firelizard booth almost immediately after he'd bet on the runners. How could he not, after all, when the stall was practically covered in the beasts? He strode over, nodded a greeting to the woman at the counter. "My duty to you, Lady." he offered. "I hear you're selling the finest creatures to be found anywhere on Pern." A flash of teeth in a quick smile. "I would be interested in purchasing one of them. Perhaps a bronze?"

Nutmeg

Giselle set down the small crate she was carrying that contained the clay pots they sent their eggs away in and faced the Rider. "Ever owned a firelizard before?" She ask cheerfully.

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 1:11 AM Alexander Nakano <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
[...]

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

"No, fair Lady, but perhaps you could educate me on the creatures?" S'nen asked. "I've a fine dragon of my own, and he's as interested in a fine Callamere bronze as I."

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 1:48 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@... wrote:
[...]

"And why a bronze?" Giselle was used to these questions. But they were fortunate enough to be able to be picky about who was allowed to purchase their livestock. Regardless of how much they were complimented.

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 2:09 PM Alexander Nakano <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
[...]

"Because bronzes are the finest of the male draconics." S'nen answered. "And I've the marks, and I've been interested in Callamere since I arrived down here. The difference between them and the wild beasts is.. exceptional."

Nutmeg

The arrogance of the reply earned the Rider an open roll of her eyes. "And they're also egotistical, vain, easily distracted and generally a nuisance if they're asked to do something they don't want to do. And yes, our animals are exceptional - it's why we put a lot of work into them." Her voice wasn't terse, but politely firm, a clear indication that she was more than happy to stand her ground. "So tell me exactly why I should be convinced to sell you a bronze that is more than you thinking they're the best thing since the invention of bubbly pies."

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 5:49 PM Alexander Nakano <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Because bronzes are the finest of the male draconics." S'nen answered. "And I've the marks, and I've been interested in Callamere since I arrived down here. The difference between them and the wild beasts is.. exceptional."

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

"Because I'm willing to put in the time to train one." S'nen answered. "And I have the resources to both properly train and care for one."

Nutmeg

"You do know that they're more than a fancy looking shoulder ornament, right? Firelizards aren't some badge like you might see them being used as in the North. So far all you've told me is that you like the fact they're bronze." Now she was slightly into lecture mode, watching the rider with a careful eye. "It's not about having the marks to burn. "And to be honest, if you haven't ever had a firelizard before - they're not the colour choice I would recommend for a beginner."

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:52 PM Alexander Nakano <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Because I'm willing to put in the time to train one." S'nen answered. "And I have the resources to both properly train and care for one."

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Steelsilver

"Of course I know that. They can have multiple uses." S'nen responded, straightening a little. "They can have multiple uses. Messaging, alert systems- they could even be trained to retrieve small things." he added. "And I have a dragon- I think I'm up to handling a firelizard. They're simpler than dragons."

Nutmeg

His attitude earned him a hearty chuckle to the face. "And that is precisely why I'm not selling you a bronze. Firelizards are not simpler than dragons, in their own ways they can be just as demanding and just as complex. Yes, they can be exceptionally useful but only when trained appropriately or else they will go off and do entirely what they want, if not abandon you outright for a fair." She studied the man intently, her hands taking a resting position on her hips. "At the moment you come across entirely as someone who has made the decision to purchase a firelizard on a whim."