Topics

GATHER: Callamere Stall - Firelizards (NPC Giselle/Nevena)

Mya L. R.

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 6:21 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Date Reference: Gather starts 8.28.6.1.

IC: One trader caravan was eagerly awaited every Mid-Summer Gather and the Callamere compound was always a sight to see. The large paddocks housing the Callamere White runners - their coats glinting brightly in the morning sun as they tossed their heads and flicked their tails. Near that was the large, text like structure where the wher-pups for Bonding were available to be seen, watched over by Revai’s trio of golds and beyond that again was the firelizard stall - the roof of the open-fronted tent festooned with firelizards trilling their merry song, darting through the air like colourful flags.

The Turn, it was not Sythy manning the stall but rather her replacement, her younger sister Giselle, the blonde-haired woman the spitting image of her father, Riv. Tall but lean, her blonde hair braided and wearing a light blue belted tunic, she struck a cheerful figure as she carefully fussed over the trays of eggs that had been arranged and marked up with their colour and prices. On her shoulder, draped with casual elegance was the unmistakable shape of a Callamere gold firelizard who inspected her Mistress’s handiwork with a discerning eye.

When they were finally ready to go, the barriers were taken down, the gangway cleared and the stall was open to all!

Nevena was dressed in her typical blue and white colors, the colors she pretty much always wore for Gathers or celebrations.  But it certainly wasn't blue that she was after, not when she'd been saving up for nearly 2 turns for the specific color she wanted.  The first thing she did upon arriving at the Gather was start looking around for the Callamere Stall, and like any Gather staple, it was pretty easy for her to find.  She offered the woman tending it a pleasant smile as she approached.  "Hello, do you have any bronze firelizards eggs left?"

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

"That depends," said Giselle mildly as she turned from a customer. "What's it for and why do you think a bronze?"

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:20 PM Mya L. R. <mleesan@...> wrote:

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 6:21 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Date Reference: Gather starts 8.28.6.1.

[...]

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Mya L. R.

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 11:44 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"That depends," said Giselle mildly as she turned from a customer. "What's it for and why do you think a bronze?"

"I need...well more could have the potential to need.  I'm a guard, if something happens while I'm patrolling I would like a little companion that can be quick to action, or able to carry a message as clearly and precisely as possible."  Nevena explained in answer.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

Giselle nodded as she listened. "Any particular reason why you think a bronze as opposed to one of the other colours - browns are exceptionally reliable as well. Have you any experience of firelizard keeping?"

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 12:34 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Giselle nodded as she listened. "Any particular reason why you think a bronze as opposed to one of the other colours - browns are exceptionally reliable as well. Have you any experience of firelizard keeping?"

"Personal experience, no.  I don't have one, but do know a few people with firelizards though."  Then again Nevena figured it was kind of hard to not know a few people with firelizards when you lived in Arolos Weyr.  Or maybe that was just the South in general.  "Browns would be my second choice at least for message carrying, I'm worried that I might get one that spends too much time thinking and won't be quick enough to act in an emergency."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

"Realistically, a brown is actually likely to be more reliable. A bronze is more easily distracted by ego and pretty females." There was humour in Giselle's eyes as though she very much had the experience of such a thing. "You say you're a Guard - are you going to be able to accommodate early training? A baby firelizard is very demanding for a few sevendays, easily as much as a puppy in terms of regular feedings and so on."

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 1:02 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"Realistically, a brown is actually likely to be more reliable. A bronze is more easily distracted by ego and pretty females." There was humour in Giselle's eyes as though she very much had the experience of such a thing. "You say you're a Guard - are you going to be able to accommodate early training? A baby firelizard is very demanding for a few sevendays, easily as much as a puppy in terms of regular feedings and so on."

"That won't be a problem as long as he doesn't mind staying with me."  Nevena paused a moment, then with some amusement sounding in her voice, said.  "Sound like I should give the brown a chance, and if I start feeling guilty that no ones giving the pretty females as much attention as I'm giving to protecting their humans, then I can always come back to discuss a bronze."  Her tone became more serious though.  "Right?"

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

Giselle studied the woman thoughtfully for a moment. "End of the day, I would be happy to sell you either. But I will warn you in advance that the bronze will  be hard work. In all absolute honesty, for a first time owner a brown will be a lot more forgiving. We're always happy to give training guidance although I would also direct you to Tyne in the Weyr - she'd be able to give you a helping hand."

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 1:39 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Giselle studied the woman thoughtfully for a moment. "End of the day, I would be happy to sell you either. But I will warn you in advance that the bronze will  be hard work. In all absolute honesty, for a first time owner a brown will be a lot more forgiving. We're always happy to give training guidance although I would also direct you to Tyne in the Weyr - she'd be able to give you a helping hand."

"I'll be sure to talk with Tyne then.  As for which color..."  Nevena paused thinking about it, know she would probably like the challenge a bronze would present.  But, Giselle was sounding right about the brown being more reliable, but Nevena spent a lot of time making sure she saved up enough for a bronze, that she didn't want to make it seem like she went overboard with those efforts.  "How about I take a look at both the brown and bronze eggs and see which egg stands out the most to me?  That way they both get a fair chance."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

She liked that the woman was taking things on board. It didn't reek of an impulsive decision. "I'd be happy for you to look over an adult of each if that would help too. I appreciate that it's no small investment so I would like you to be entirely happy with your decision."

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:43 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
She liked that the woman was taking things on board. It didn't reek of an impulsive decision. "I'd be happy for you to look over an adult of each if that would help too. I appreciate that it's no small investment so I would like you to be entirely happy with your decision."

"Oh that would be wonderful...if you have the time to show me them that is?"  Nevena added that last part as she glanced over her shoulder to see if there was anyone impatient waiting behind her by now.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

"Not at all, each customer gets the time they need - no more, no less." And someone was that interested, they would stick around. If someone gave up because they got impatient - well, that was all the answer Giselle needed anyway. It took only a silent nudge to Shimmer who grumbled slightly but complied. Sure enough, a moment later a bronze and brown had appeared and settled on one of the perches set up behind the stall counters. Not surprisingly, the bronze immediately puffed up with a proud warble, flexing his wings and posturing. The brown was far more demure, but composed, inspecting Giselle and Nevena with intense interest.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:27 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"Not at all, each customer gets the time they need - no more, no less." And someone was that interested, they would stick around. If someone gave up because they got impatient - well, that was all the answer Giselle needed anyway. It took only a silent nudge to Shimmer who grumbled slightly but complied. Sure enough, a moment later a bronze and brown had appeared and settled on one of the perches set up behind the stall counters. Not surprisingly, the bronze immediately puffed up with a proud warble, flexing his wings and posturing. The brown was far more demure, but composed, inspecting Giselle and Nevena with intense interest.

Nevena turned her gaze toward the bronze and let out a short giggle at the bronze's antics.  "So cute.  Hello to you both."  She greeted the two firelizards before turning her attention back onto Giselle.  "I can see different aspects of my work that each would be good for.  How old are they?"

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

The bronze posed and preened, puffing himself up and warbling. There was a distinct aura of "look but don't touch" emanating from him, something that said this was all for show. The brown on the other hand, whilst not overtly posturing, had a decidedly deliberate manner to his stance, the careful way he mantled his wings, the steady movement of his head to watch his "audience". At the question, Giselle conferred with Shimmer for a moment and inspected the pair with a critical eye. "Looking at their sizes and proportions, as well as overall demeanour, I would say they're about two and half turns. The bronze comes across as a little younger but to be honest, it's much of a muchness, I would say."

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 6:10 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
The bronze posed and preened, puffing himself up and warbling. There was a distinct aura of "look but don't touch" emanating from him, something that said this was all for show. The brown on the other hand, whilst not overtly posturing, had a decidedly deliberate manner to his stance, the careful way he mantled his wings, the steady movement of his head to watch his "audience". At the question, Giselle conferred with Shimmer for a moment and inspected the pair with a critical eye. "Looking at their sizes and proportions, as well as overall demeanour, I would say they're about two and half turns. The bronze comes across as a little younger but to be honest, it's much of a muchness, I would say."

Once again it struck her that the bronze's antics would be useful in dealing with the more 'social' aspect of Guard life.  Like reassuring or distracting witnesses from being too emotional over what they witnessed.  Whereas the brown would do just fine keeping an eye out and running messages for Nevena, it brought a bigger smile spreading across her face.  "So not that old, but still quite impressive.  It really is looking like it'd come down to which egg catches my eye the most."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

Giselle gave the woman a wide grin. She knew all too well just how hard it was to decide sometimes. "Then why don't we take a look at both trays. See what catches your eye. They'e much of a muchness to look at, but maybe you'll get a feel for one." She gestured to the eggs and for the woman to step to one side with her. The two trays were side by side and as she said, there wasn't much comparison between the eggs.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 6:33 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Giselle gave the woman a wide grin. She knew all too well just how hard it was to decide sometimes. "Then why don't we take a look at both trays. See what catches your eye. They'e much of a muchness to look at, but maybe you'll get a feel for one." She gestured to the eggs and for the woman to step to one side with her. The two trays were side by side and as she said, there wasn't much comparison between the eggs.

Nevena moved up beside Giselle, her attention on the eggs that were on the trays.  Like Giselle indicated, if there was one egg of a certain appearance, there was another one the other tray that looked a lot like that egg.  There were fewer eggs among the bronze eggs available though.  "I see several on that tray," she pointed toward several on the brown's egg tray, then just a couple on the bronze's egg tray, "and just these two over here.  Easier to pick between these two at least."  Nevena paused a moment eyeing the two eggs and soon picked one.  "This one."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

Giselle watched the woman carefully as her gaze moved between the eggs. No, she didn't think that she was about to try anything but anyone was scrutinised when it got to this stage of a sale. "If that's the one you think has caught your eye I can certainly have it potted for you. Now, we have a couple of ways of doing it. You can either take it now - although I strongly advise that before continuing through the Gather that you return to the Weyr and store it safely in a warm location, or we can remove it as sold and hold onto it until the end of the day - although we close up the stalls a candlemark before sundown so you would need to return before then."

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 7:36 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Giselle watched the woman carefully as her gaze moved between the eggs. No, she didn't think that she was about to try anything but anyone was scrutinised when it got to this stage of a sale. "If that's the one you think has caught your eye I can certainly have it potted for you. Now, we have a couple of ways of doing it. You can either take it now - although I strongly advise that before continuing through the Gather that you return to the Weyr and store it safely in a warm location, or we can remove it as sold and hold onto it until the end of the day - although we close up the stalls a candlemark before sundown so you would need to return before then."

Nevena was silent, a thoughtful expression on her face as she considered the two options.  "Does it cost extra to have you hold onto it...him," she corrected herself.  Although still an egg, the fact that she knew a male firelizard would come from it made her feel uncomfortable calling it an actual 'it'.  "...until the end of the day?"

--
Member Name: MyaL

Nutmeg

"Oh goodness, not at all. It's just something we offer because to be honest, it gives us a bit of peace of mind knowing that they're safe and sound." Giselle smiled warmly at the woman. "We just mark the egg up as sold, remove it from the trays on the stall and keep it safe until you come back. No one will be able to buy it and it'll be kept at a stable temperature. If you do choose to take the egg now, I strongly advise getting a lift back to the Weyr just to keep it secure  - there's lots of wagons and things on a Gather day if you can't get a dragon-ride."