Topics

Free to a Good Home attn: Karla,Vevennil, Zy'fen, any

Laurie

Karla sat in the dining hall with a basket, kept warm with a blanket and some heated sand. In the basket were six firelizard eggs, laid by her  gold, Zari. Karla sighed. With the number of people owning gold firelizards in the Weyr, eggs were getting harder and harder to give away. But she didn't want to just leave these to hatch away from everyone. Zari was half-Callamere, and the bronze who had caught her was also half Callamere. So, in her eyes, these eggs were special.

{{And they're Zari's so of course they're special, dear,}} Eglanth said.

But Karla found it difficult to make friends. Partially because she was so quiet, and partially because her best friend was a goldrider and she was afraid people would try to get close to her in order to curry favor with Delysia.

So, here she sat, in the Dining Hall, hoping to give her eggs a home.

(OOC: There are two bronze eggs which are going to Vevennil and Zy'fen, but she also has a brown, a green, and two blues if anyone wants them.)

Steelsilver

Temeir was on his way in to lunch when he spotted the sign and made his way over, Volly perched on his shoulder and whistling a cheery greeting to the other person. "Um... Hi." The Candidate offered a greeting of his own. "Do you have.. You're really just giving the eggs away?"

(ooc: Temeir would be interested in the brown or green)

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen was running a bit late to the midday meal that day, after giving his story to the young weyrlings. It had been a bit overwhelming, and now he just wanted to sit and eat his meal in peace.

Thankfully, the dining hall looked to be mostly empty, so Zy had his choice of seats. With Nerenth off to either hunt or nap, it was mostly quiet in his head, too.

On his way to a table along one wall, Zy'fen moved past the seated woman with her basket, and barely gave her or the boy a second glance. But the sight of the eggs made him think about Scrig, that brainless bit of flit. As silly as the young blue firelizard had been, Zy actually missed him sometimes. And that thought made him pause to look back. "Are you selling your firelizard eggs?"

Laurie

Karla nodded. "Yeah. I'd love to take them north and sell at the Frost Fayre, but I don't trust that they'd make it. But here, you can't throw a glow without hitting someone with a firelizard."  She uncovered the basket to reveal the eggs:

The Whispering Wind Egg:  This egg is a pale cream, with cloudy blue and brown whorls all around it, making it look like the north wind blowing. You can get lost in trying to trace the whorls on the egg, because they all run into each other. Once you look away, you feel like you've been in a windstorm. Even your hair is disheveled. (brown)

Lost in the Mist: This egg is a cloudy grey. Looking at it, you can imagine yourself lost in a fog. But grey can be just as beautiful as blue, or green, or red. There's something about this egg, like whoever is in it will be as fleeting as the morning mist. (Green)

The Hypnotic Eye: So you thought the Whispering Wind Egg was hypnotic? Wait until you look at The Hypnotic Eye! This egg is striped: thin stripes that, if you look at it for long enough, seem to move. There's a hint of an eye within the stripes, or at least you think there is. Because that eye moves around the egg. No matter where you look, you will also see the eye. (blue)

Waves in the Water: You'll almost be afraid to pick this egg up. It looks like a ball of water, and if you touch it, it will disintigrate. But, that's not the case. When you pick it up, you will feel like you're holding a precious jewel. (blue)

Reserved for Mya

The Cat's Meow egg: While not noticeably bronze, this egg is larger than the others in Zari's small Clutch, bar one, so Karla assumes it's a bronze. She's half tempted to keep this egg, but with already having Ranger and Zari, she doesn't want to be selfish. But this egg is so unusual: she sees a face in it. Not just any face though, something very reminiscent of a small feline. There--there are two triangular shapes a short distant apart from each other that could be ears. And right underneath, two round, yet slightly oval shaped spots. Between the 'ears' and the 'eyes' is a definite marking that looks like an "M". And there, a nose, and radiating out from that little pinkish brown triangle are lines that are definitely reminiscent of whiskers.

Kalra wonders what the inhabitant of this egg will look like, but more importantly, what will it act like?

Reserved for LadyRose

The Warm Embers: Something about this egg makes everyone want to feel it. The egg is whorled in colors that make it look like a warm fuzzy blanket, or a fire that has burnt down to embers. It looks so comfortable and warm, like you could take this egg to bed with you and it will keep you warm all night. (You don't want to really do that, though, since you'll probably break it.)

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 1:50 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
Temeir was on his way in to lunch when he spotted the sign and made his way over, Volly perched on his shoulder and whistling a cheery greeting to the other person. "Um... Hi." The Candidate offered a greeting of his own. "Do you have.. You're really just giving the eggs away?"

(ooc: Temeir would be interested in the brown or green)

Laurie

Karla chuckled. "If people would buy them, I would. But no, I'm giving them away. I don't feel right selling them." She smiled at him, trying not to stare at his leg. This was something that could happen to any rider. Therefore, she also didn't show pity. Whether this was wrong-place-wrong time during Fall, or not paying attention, it didn't matter. It could be her. It could be Margana. It could be anyone in the Weyr.

"Would you like one?" she asked, a hopeful note in her voice.

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 2:37 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen was running a bit late to the midday meal that day, after giving his story to the young weyrlings. It had been a bit overwhelming, and now he just wanted to sit and eat his meal in peace.

Thankfully, the dining hall looked to be mostly empty, so Zy had his choice of seats. With Nerenth off to either hunt or nap, it was mostly quiet in his head, too.

On his way to a table along one wall, Zy'fen moved past the seated woman with her basket, and barely gave her or the boy a second glance. But the sight of the eggs made him think about Scrig, that brainless bit of flit. As silly as the young blue firelizard had been, Zy actually missed him sometimes. And that thought made him pause to look back. "Are you selling your firelizard eggs?"

Steelsilver

"Wow." Temeir breathed, eyes shining. "The only flit egg I've ever seen before was Volly's- these are just as beautiful, if not even more." He regarded the eggs with fresh interest. "That one looks like a windstorm- and this one looks like a foggy morning." How could he choose? "....How would you choose?" he asked her.

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 11:53 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

"Hmmm," Karla said, looking at the eggs. "It depends on my mood, but today I'd go with the foggy morning. I'm feeling...foggy today!" She giggled, then reached up to pat her hair, where Zari had made a nest of it. "Though I probably look like I've gone through a windstorm."

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 3:16 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
[...]

Zy'fen smiled back at the woman, but noticed her attempts at not looking at his wooden leg. At least she wasn't looking sorry for him, and he gave her an appreciative nod, "I'm considering it." He glanced at the boy again for a moment before turning to look at the eggs in the basket.

And Zy'fen gave his partner a mental tap, ((Nerry, you awake? How would you feel about another addition to the family?))

Laurie

Karla cocked her head. He had a nice smile. She reached into her basket and held out the Warm Embers egg. "This one seems tailor-made for you," she said. "You seem like a warm person, and this egg makes me feel warm every time I look at it."

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 3:36 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen smiled back at the woman, but noticed her attempts at not looking at his wooden leg. At least she wasn't looking sorry for him, and he gave her an appreciative nod, "I'm considering it." He glanced at the boy again for a moment before turning to look at the eggs in the basket.

And Zy'fen gave his partner a mental tap, ((Nerry, you awake? How would you feel about another addition to the family?))

Steelsilver

"You look okay to me." Temeir offered. "Greenrider, ma'am." he added, hastily, noticing her knots.

A pause. "I like them both. But the swirly-wind one looks like it has more detail?"

Laurie

At this, Karla had to laugh. "But you're getting the firelizard, not the egg. Though, with more detail, that one may be a brown."

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 3:54 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"You look okay to me." Temeir offered. "Greenrider, ma'am." he added, hastily, noticing her knots.

A pause. "I like them both. But the swirly-wind one looks like it has more detail?"

Steelsilver

"It's still a pretty egg." Temeir defended, though he ducked his head a little bit, ears reddening. "Can I- can I have the swirly-wind egg, please? I'll take good care of it, no matter what color it is."

Volly, still perched on his shoulder, crooned again.

Laurie

"Oh, of course it's still pretty! Keep the shell after it Hatches. I'm sure there's a Crafter out there who can make something with the shells." She fingered her own pendant that had a piece of Eglanth's shell, along with Zari's and Ranger's shells.

She reached into the basket for the Whispering Wind egg, wrapped it with wool and handed it to him. "No matter what color it is, it's yours, and will be awesome!" she said.

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 4:05 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:

"It's still a pretty egg." Temeir defended, though he ducked his head a little bit, ears reddening. "Can I- can I have the swirly-wind egg, please? I'll take good care of it, no matter what color it is."

Volly, still perched on his shoulder, crooned again.

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen was (pleasantly) surprised when the green rider offered him one of the eggs, saying he looked like a warm person. He gave her another smile, and couldn't help but agree with the Candidate boy. She did look nice, windswept hair and all.

Nerenth gave a hungry grumble as his answer, then, {{Perhaps you should. It would give you another reason to get out of the weyr. I say go for it, if you don't mind having another mouth to feed.}}

Zy'fen gently took the egg in question, after setting his plate down on a nearby table. "It does look warm." But his eyes weren't on the egg.

Laurie

Karla blushed as he looked at her. She wasn't used to flirting with men--rumors of what her mother was like made sure of that. Oh, Eglanth rose as often as a green will, but she hadn't made any permanent  There was one...but he had a girlfriend. And she'd been interested in her brother's best friend, but he was more interested in her brother.

"Um--" she was tongue tied for a moment. "Yes. It's one of my favorites. I'd love to just keep them all, but right now two is enough for me. Zari here is Ranger's daughter," she indicated the handsome bronze lying on the table, one eye open watching things, "and he's full Callamere. And the bronze who caught Zari is also half Callamere, so you'll have a smart flitter on your hands. Which could be a good or bad thing." She blushed again. Why was she babbling? She never talked this much, unless it was to her friend.

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 4:24 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen was (pleasantly) surprised when the green rider offered him one of the eggs, saying he looked like a warm person. He gave her another smile, and couldn't help but agree with the Candidate boy. She did look nice, windswept hair and all.

Nerenth gave a hungry grumble as his answer, then, {{Perhaps you should. It would give you another reason to get out of the weyr. I say go for it, if you don't mind having another mouth to feed.}}

Zy'fen gently took the egg in question, after setting his plate down on a nearby table. "It does look warm." But his eyes weren't on the egg.

Amy Frazey

"Smart is good." There was a look in Zy'fen's eyes, a hint of his former flirtatiousness, that said he rather liked the way Karla was blushing and babbling. ((Nerry, can you find out who her dragon is?)) He gave Nerenth a clear image of the woman, then glanced down at the warm flit egg.

"Smart is good." This time his voice had a different inflection. "And half Callamere, huh? That's really nice. Are you sure you want to just give the eggs away?"

Laurie

(OOC: Melody Maker, Eglanth)

Somehow, his flirtatiousness was giving her confidence in herself.  In a rare show of coquettishness, she smiled. "Even if I was selling them, I wouldn't charge you," she said, though her face by now was a bright red. Why did I do that?

{{Why not, dear. You need to be more confident around people. Just relax and enjoy.}}

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:38 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
"Smart is good." There was a look in Zy'fen's eyes, a hint of his former flirtatiousness, that said he rather liked the way Karla was blushing and babbling. ((Nerry, can you find out who her dragon is?)) He gave Nerenth a clear image of the woman, then glanced down at the warm flit egg.

"Smart is good." This time his voice had a different inflection. "And half Callamere, huh? That's really nice. Are you sure you want to just give the eggs away?"

Amy Frazey

Nerenth's reply came back quickly, {{I think I've seen her with Eglanth a time or two.}} The brown dragon sent back an image of the green dragon, and Zy'fen nodded. ((Oh, that's good. I'll let you finish feeding.))

Karla's choice of words, and the look on her face, made Zy'fen smile again, and he settled the egg in the crook of his elbow, reaching over to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. "That's very kind of you."

Mya L. R.

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 1:13 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:

Karla sat in the dining hall with a basket, kept warm with a blanket and some heated sand. In the basket were six firelizard eggs, laid by her  gold, Zari. Karla sighed. With the number of people owning gold firelizards in the Weyr, eggs were getting harder and harder to give away. But she didn't want to just leave these to hatch away from everyone. Zari was half-Callamere, and the bronze who had caught her was also half Callamere. So, in her eyes, these eggs were special.

{{And they're Zari's so of course they're special, dear,}} Eglanth said.

But Karla found it difficult to make friends. Partially because she was so quiet, and partially because her best friend was a goldrider and she was afraid people would try to get close to her in order to curry favor with Delysia.

So, here she sat, in the Dining Hall, hoping to give her eggs a home.

The tiny features and dark green hide that approached clearly wasn't Human.  She'd grabbed one of the meatrolls that Vevennil had put on his plate and beelined over toward all the unhatched littles, with Vevennil of course trailing behind her.  Vharreva swooped down to land on the edge of the table, lowering her toward them and dropped the meatroll onto the table.  Then bumped it in Karla and Zari's direction.

"Sorry, she is fond of the littles.  When were they laid?"  Vevennil asked as he came to stop at the table.

--
Member Name: MyaL

Laurie

"Oh, um...you--you're welcome?" Karla said, voice rising into a squeak. Shards, she was such a ninny, but he was being so nice. "I, uh, try to be nice." Zari lay down on the table next to Ranger with a superior look on her face.

[[Is Zari laughing at me?]] she asked Eglanth.

{{Don't be silly dear. She's merely chortling.}}

She wanted to say something else, but couldn't speak. Instead, she stared at Zy'fen with wide eyes, like a herdbeast in the path of a hungry dragon.