Topics

FLIGHT: Standing up for the small ones. (Dytha/Ponth/Elphith/ANY)

Nutmeg

IC Date Reference: Set several days after the end of the Frost Fayre. IC date approximately 8.29.1.14.

OoC Note: Won’t be looking to do the immediate aftermath, however it is a bit of a free for all so there’s no pre-determined winner. All and any are welcome with the goal being to keep Travath and H’lan as far away from Dytha and Ponth as possible. The dragons might have gotten wind that something is up but the Rider’s won’t know why they’re likely feeling so hostile towards H’lan. I am a bit slow right now but bear with me :)

IC: Maybe it was because there had been a lull in the sensation of being watched, maybe it was because spending a little time with Ambrelli and Ilexeth had lifted her spirits. Whatever it was, Dytha had spotted the familiar prickle under her skin only seconds before the cold dump of panic in her stomach had a chance to rise.

I’m sorry Mine…

Dytha felt the consternation and dismay beginning to surge with hot tendril snapping at its heels. At first her mind tried to whirl into panic, to consider her options but all that did was add to the building alarm on top of the countdown her green was sitting on. At least she didn’t have to awkwardly excuse herself from a shift, that was something. With no R’bor in the Weyr, her own weyr was no guarantee of safety. Which meant only one other choice.

((Tell Elphith. Then be as safe as you can.))

It was a mask of confidence that she didn’t feel but all she could do was hope that Ponth had enough friendly companions who might not normally chase, be enticed to do so if they knew that it was more about winning, it was about protecting. And despite every urge screaming at her to run and hide, Dytha dragged herself to the Flight Rooms, feeling the rising burn of dragonlust fighting with the primal instinct of pure fear.

On her ledge, Ponth huffed and strained, fighting her own instincts that had been all but dorman these past months. The slivers of purple twisted around the streaks of red in her whirling eyes as the wilful green fought to hold herself down. She didn’t want to fly. Didn’t want to be hurt again. Didn’t want Hers to be hurt again. But it was trying to stop the sun rising each morning just because you wanted it to. With a shriek of agonised, lustful fury, the tiny, darkly coloured green shot from her ledge into the bright blue sky of the afternoon sun.

Keep me safe! She challenged as she rocketed into the air as she called out to all and any dragon within earshot. Keep Mine safe! Don’t let him catch me!

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Aaron

((I hear you. I will rally what help I can,)) Elphith promised, and she nudged each of many blues she had asked to chase, though most of them were already waiting for the word to come from Ponth herself.

Cuylar, for his part, went to the flightrooms. If it came down to it, there would be moths there, him among them. And if he had to escalate things beyond that, he would.

Jenna Cunningham

Oachayth drew up short, head lifted sharply, eyes whirling. Then he shook himself, flight harness jangling, and nearly dislodged Sahari from his back. She swung on a safety strap, swearing black and blue, still hungover from the night before, groping at the leather to right herself.

"Shells, what was that for, love?!" She grumbled on the way back down, sore and miserable and not looking forward to their upcoming Watch shift.

((There is a green I have been waiting to chase, and now I must chase her.))

It was unusual for Oachayth to play favourites - a green was a green was a green, but the prospect of a Flight put Sahari in considerably better spirits. She stripped his harness back off him, dumping it for someone else to find and clean up later, and stepped back as he launched himself into the air, banking into a turn toward a growing cluster of dragons in the sky.

She stripped off her flight jacket as she walked leisurely toward the Flight rooms, already framing her excuse to her Wingleader in her head. It wasn't her fault - her blue had been adamant that he chase. She couldn't be punished for that.

((I will keep you safe by catching you! You will be safe beneath my wings, little gem!))

Steelsilver

((I hear you, lovely green, and I come!)) Sunstreath called, boldly, leaping from his perch, soaring skyward. ((There is surely none better suited to defend you than a bronze! I will catch you, and I will keep you safe!))

----

((If you are in danger it is only right that we should come to your aid!)) Vizslath called, catching the green's words, noting the number of dragons that seemed to be congregating around her. ((I will fly for you, most beautiful of greens, and we will be untouchable!))

Amy Frazey

Nerenth had been mostly concerned with His Zy'fen for the past several moons, but now they were in a much better place, emotionally and mentally. The medium sized brown had also been behind on gossip, though he wasn't entirely out of the loop.

He was basking on the ridge on that particular day, while His was off talking to someone about where. His head shot up suddenly when the shriek of a rising green reached his ears. And he heard her plea for protection, for both dragon and rider. That certainly caught his attention, and was vaguely worrisome. But he quickly passed on the message to His, and rapidly took to the sky in Chase. Even if he couldn't outpace a bronze -of which he spotted at least two- the brown could help protect the tiny green. And he had faith that Zy'fen would also help protect the green's rider.

For Zy'fen's part, he was taken by surprise, but wasn't at all against Nerenth taking up the chase. He was nowhere near the Flight rooms, however, and it would take him a while to get there. Which meant he was probably better off not even attempting the climb. So rather than wear himself out, he headed for the infirmary, which would hopefully have a cold bath handy.

TrueTricia

Kiyosarath gave a giant yawn.  He paused to look over his wing towards the Weyrbowl, and then, without warning to Bajezeth, rolled off the Weyrledge.  She snorted, startled, her eyes whirling quickly in worry.  And just as she paused to creep closer to the ledge, she saw him sweep up, having unfurled his wings as he fell.

><Show off>< she grumbled to him, then curled back in the sun.

<*Clutchsib of mine*> Baj called to V'ler.  She felt him rouse from his nap on the couch.  She mentally prodded him, and then when he still didn't wake, she shrugged and went back to her own sleep.

Kiyo bugled as he followed the green into the sky.  ><None shall harm you while I am here...>< he called to the young green, the bravado in his voice evident.  ><We are good, you and I.  And yours liked mine.  He made her feel safe.><  He resisted the urge to snap at the others around him.  Then before the lust of flight took over, he commanded the others around ><We don't let the one she's scared of win.  No matter what.  Understood?><  He was just a brown, not a bronze, and he lacked the authority or command to override the lust that would soon overtake them all, when instinct demanded that they fight each other for this right to mate.  But while thought remained, he would try.

Back in his weyr, V'ler's dreams took on strange images.  He felt the pressure of another's intrusion in his mind.  It pressed and called, and then disappeared.  But what followed behind was a wave that slammed into him.  He woke with a start.

<<WHat have you done?>> he asked Kiyo, though upon waking he had a pretty good idea.

>>She needs our help.  The small green with the hurt rider.  She's scared.<<

The times when Kiyo didn't make a game of it, of teasing his rider, those were the times when V'ler knew his dragon was focused and serious.  He carefully reached out across their bond.  He could feel his dragon repressing his urges.  He could feel the need to focus, and the images of Ponth and her terrified call.  "Shards..." V'ler cursed under his breath.  He didn't know what was going on, but the undercurrents were bad.

He was half dressed, and he didn't bother to throw a shirt on.  He stumbled out to the ledge, blinking in the sun.  "Baj.  Can you take me down to the flight rooms?  Ponth and her rider might be in danger..." He stroked the green's head, as she stretched, waking up again.

<*Kiyosarath will protect her.*> she said, but she stood, shaking herself.  V'ler chuckled at her confidence in his brown.  "Just in case then..."  A bit later, he walked into the room.

"We're here, Dytha..." he told the woman, unsure if she could hear him at this point.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 8:29 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

[...]

Kouga

Tragvonth hadn't talked this over with his rider, so his rider hadn't
been ready, but that wasn't stopping the blue. There was someone who
needed their help and he would be there to help protect the little
green! Akisu had been working on getting dressed and he didn't bother
to give his chosen warning so his rider wouldn't be there, but it
would have to be ok. {{Little Ponth do not worry! We will keep you
safe!}} He promised the green dropping from his ledge to join the
others in meeting the waiting green.

~~~~~

Seelketh was happily enjoying his time in the water, sleek in the
water where he never tried to be in the air or anywhere else. The blue
was only allerted to the need for him when he heard the word flying.
Protect? Green? He rumbled a bit as he made his way towards the shore
reaching out to get better details than he had caught from the little
flit that had seemed overly upset about something. He didn't put much
in them, but the green he could easily find and after asking one of
the others around her from his wing and getting the word back he
hissed. {{Beautiful Ponth nothing will hurt you in the skies where
Seelketh lays in the water.}} he promised knowing it may very well
sound odd, but knowing that only made him more fantastic.

~~~~~

He had done his best to make sure his wing knew they could count on
him so when one of the little blues came to him worried for one of the
tiny greens he had agreed to do all he could. He knew he was being a
bit spontaneous and that he had probably forgotten to warn his Get'ew,
but it was too late for all that now. {{We need to go now Get'ew}} he
told his rider the second he got the word from the blue confirming
that it was Ponth he had spotted. He knew he could not catch her he
was too big and too slow, so catching her was probably not happening.
He knew the blue though, the one that hurt her and hers and even if he
didn't win he would make sure there was one blue who couldn't either.
He could feel his chosen's reluctance to leave thee office, but he
wasn't giving his rider a choice they were flying. {{You come or you
find your own way. I will not leave Ponth and hers to those blues.}}
he told his rider sharply. That seemed to get his rider's attention
and suddenly he found his rider with him.

He gave Get'ew enough time to get settled before he was off, dropping
his chosen off as close as he felt he could to the flight rooms,
before his attention was on Ponth herself not bothering to watch his
rider join the others after he gave him the image of the blue's rider
so he knew who to look out for. {{Ponth. My wings are stong and I am
large I will let no blue come close you do not want.}} He promised. He
would chase will all he had, but he knew that in the end she would
probably be too fast and that his size would be the best he could
offer. He was a large brown and he knew how to use it.

~~~~~

{{Sister, sister, how I have missed her.}} Henrith chimed in as he
joined the growing group waiting on the little green. {{I have seen
you dance and watched you spin sister. You have seen me fly and see
how I live between. If anyone gets to close come to me sister Ponth
and I will take us so far away only ours can find us! We shall visit
some of my friends.}} He promised. His skills with betweening had
gotten him into much trouble when they were younger, but he didn't let
it bother him, not when he could use it to protect once of his tiny
sisters. He would take her someplace nice. Maybe Ista? Or Igen? It was
still warm there and he could show her the nice dragons he had met! He
could hear Ki'yuu's protests in his mind as his rider made his way to
the flight rooms, but he didn't care. For one of his clutch sisters he
would offer her his curse and use it as a gift for a change.

~~~~~

It was Zuhelth who had heard the word and the rumor, it was she who
had told her chosen about it. She didn't want her blue to be for any
other, he was her protector, but Ponth needed protectors right now and
she knew her Pensherth was the best. So it was that she had suggested
it to hers and the blue. It was also her that now spotted the other
green due to the gathering and she mently prodded both her mates.
{{You must go. Ponth rises.}} she told both her human and her blue.

Pensherth rumbled his agreement and moved out to their ledge offering
his little green a lick as he uncurled from her. {{I will be back my
little Zuhelth.}} he promised even as he waited and allowed both his
rider and hers to move to his neck. It might not have been his idea to
chase this green, but it was interesting and to protect as his had
promised he would do more than follow the rest of his little green. So
with that he dropped his C'dan and Zuhelth's V'jal off in the bowl and
made his way to Ponth, made his way to wait. {{We have promised always
to protect and we will protect you!}} the awkward blue promised Ponth.

V'jal might not be involved after all it was hard to be involved as a
green, but Zuhelth had passed on what she heard and it didn't sound
good. If someone wanted to play rough he would be there to do his best
to make sure it was at least directed at someone who could take it.
Besides if he wasn't needed for that he could at least be here for
C'dan.

~~~~~

Chateauperth had of course heard the talk and it hurt him to know he
couldn't aid Ponth himself. He would have loved to use his wings, to
fly after her, be there to try and catch her and keep her safe. He
couldn't though, he couldn't always hunt for himself even. He can't
fight thread, he can't hunt properly, and most of all he can't help
the pretty green. While he couldn't he would make his rider do it
though, because they were off at the moment, and he quickly nudged his
chosen {{You must go to the flight rooms. You must help Ponth's and
help the others keep hers safe.}} He told Kaji who nodded.

It was the least he could do for another healer and he didn't mind to
be there to be a human shield for the nasty male. He knew if it was
needed Green Star and Kawaii would be there to help him. He convinced
both flits to leave his shoulders as he got closer, not sure what he
was looking for, but he would watch for anyone agressive for now he
supposed.

~~~~~

Terinth had heard the rumor from the blue that caught her last, he had
been some tiny thing she didn't care about so long as his didn't hurt
hers. The rumor though had been passed on and it had made M'nor more
than a bit pissed and brought up several memories he didn't like
thinking on. It had been enough though, enough to set him on edge and
enough to motivate him to get her to watch for the little green. So
when she knew it was coming she told her M'nor and gave him a ride to
the bowl floor before going back to her ledge after making sure he was
going in the direction of the flight rooms; he would protect the other
green where they had not had protection he would not let another be
hurt as they had.

~~~~~

Sh'in and Shacath had heard about it from Tanguyth. The blue had been
going to join, but he and his were out of the Weyr right now and that
did not sit well with Shacath at all. One of hers had promised aid and
she would not let that aid not be there. She couldn't call back her
searchblue, but she could do something else. {{Sh'in you much go. My
Tanguyth and his are not here so you must go and help Ponth's.}} she
informed her rider who looked up at her though the short tunnel
connecting their parts of the weyr. He didn't reply, but he didn't
have to. He settled down the straps he was working on and was coming
her way, so she took his to the bowl, to the flight room. {{Watch
Ponth's and if you find us another to keep let me know.}} She told him
happily before she was off. She wasn't going to intrude in another
green's flight, but she liked collecting, maybe she should actually
just have Sh'in collect Ponth and hers? That would surely solve it.
Her Sh'in was a big human and not many would mess with him, yes that
was perfect! She would have to suggest it later.

~~~~~

It had been a last minute thing for D'ran. He hadn't known, hadn't
heard, Shahrath hadn't heard, hadn't known so both green and rider
were confused by the sudden seeming rush. But when he managed to catch
one of the males he realized seemed to be going that way they gave him
enough under the lust to make him grit his teeth. He may have no
wanted green, may still never think he was meant for a green, may
always harbor some love for the way Fort Weyr was, but this? This one
sounded like someone needing help. A rider should not need
/protection/ such that this happened, and he could see it from here.
He could see the vast number of males gathering and he grit his teeth
his jaw clenched tight for a long moment before making up his mind. He
didn't know what was happening, but he had enough mass from his time
in the forges that he should be of help as 'protection' so he followed
the males. He was not intending to play as a moth, but he could help
keep things from going bad because he would have a clear mind to go
with his muscles.

ooc: also sorry so long, but I had a few I wanted to toss in for
various bits ... it just kept getting longer the more I looked so
ending before I try to make it longer >.>

*Kouga*

unhealthy." - Varric

It wasn't in any way unusual or particularly resented that Traynth should call his rider for a flight. Truth was that the rider enjoyed the experienced of racing through the sky after a green as much a the dragon did. If they happened to win.. well, that was just extra.

So he was up and moving the moment he felt the familiar pull, conscious it might take him longer than most to handle the walk to the flightroom.

While Elphith had summoned him to protect, that was almost forgotten the moment Traynth was in the sky. As quiet and shy as the blue was normally flights brought out an exuberant side and he bounced around the sky, weaving in and out of other dragons, happily performing somersaults and loop the loops that were less about catching anyone and more about plain showing off.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 4:29 AM Kouga <hanjikouga@...> wrote:
[...]

Laurie

Elphith wasn't the only dragon aware of Ponth's dilemma. The day the Weyrlings were allowed to mingle with the rest of the Weyr population, Mendl had immediately gone to see her best friend. Well, her second-best friend. Nimoth was now her bestie, but she hadn't realized how much she and Dytha had hung together, even with Candidate classes, until she couldn't go visit.

Mendl had been appalled at the condition Dytha--and Ponth--were in, and wanted to go rail at Master Larsin for ignoring her friend's dilemma. Instead, she'd spent the whole day with her friend at the mini Frost Fayre, and Nimoth had cuddled with the small green as much as a child could. After all, fun things were happening and Nimoth had a huge case of fear of missing out.

Even so, Mendl visited with Dytha as much as she could, to the point of arriving late to classes and training. She was going to get in trouble, but her friend was worth it.

{{Ponth rises,}} Nimoth announced to her rider, and Mendl swore. Of course she was in class, and of course she had an AWLM glare at her for disrupting class.

[[I hope Travath doesn't catch her. Please keep me updated, so I know if I need to go look at her. Or send Ambrelli.]]

Nimoth agreed, but this was an emergency. This was one of her rider's people, and therefore one of Nimoth's. The young gold, barely five months old, had been experimenting with her gold 'abilities'. It had been weak, subtle, and maybe not even happening: she'd tried to influence her clutchmates into doing things for her. When they did, she felt like she was successful. What she didn't know, didn't even think about, was that maybe it had seemed the natural order of things to do what she asked. After all, she was the top of the dragon hierarchy. So her clutchmates may have done what she asked because they wanted to. Or maybe it was the gold influence.

Today, though, would be different. Nimoth didn't broadcast for dragons to chase Ponth like Elphith did. Instead, she exerted her will throughout the Weyr to all male dragons to want to chase Ponth.

She also targeted one dragon in particular, and this dragon she tried to influence to not want to chase at all.

Only time would tell if her will worked.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 5:13 AM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
[...]

Like Mendl, Ambrelli had spent much of the Frost Fayre visiting Dytha, and it was nice for the three women to have time to reconnect.  Ambrelli might be older than the both of them, and their superior in the Craft --albeit not rank anymore-- but that hadn't stopped her from forming bonds of friendship with both.  Dytha had been one of her first friends in the Infirmary, and then Mendl's help had been so instrumental to Ilexeth's health in those early days that she couldn't help but feel immense gratitude towards the new goldrider.  She'd tried to spend as much time with Mendl and Nimonth as allowed between the two classes, but it was still hard with the isolation policies.  And in Dytha's weyr, they were not goldrider, journeywoman, and apprentice, but just friends.

So it was that as Ambrelli was working through hidework in the barracks, the stack from the Infirmary having grown quite large, Ilexeth lifted her head from its place next to her.  Her eyes whirled then turned a soft shade of orange.

<<Ponth is rising.  She radiates fear, and those chasing her are calling for her defense.>>  There was confusion in her mindvoice.  She didn't understand the reasons behind the fear.  Ambrelli turned to lay a hand on her young green.

"She is afraid of Dytha being hurt.  The human component of rising is not always easy."  It was close enough to the truth, even if Ambrelli was leaving out many of the details.

<<You do not seem afraid.>> Ilexeth stated, nudging Ambrelli.

"Nothing scares me aside from losing you.  But I am concerned for Dytha.  I'm going to go to her.  Can you stay here by yourself?  Find Nimonth or Thaath?"

Illexeth stood and stretched.  <<Go help Ponth's rider.  I will find Nimonth.  Nimonth is friends with Ponth too.>>  Her green plodded away, as Ambrelli hastily gathered her hides into a pile, and made for the exit.  She remembered a healer that had helped Dytha before, JM Hlr Vivaeldi.  She'd find her.  And together, they'd wait for the flight to be over, to make sure that Dytha was alright.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 7:53 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

Travath was ready when the time came for he had been watching Ponth from afar many days running. He saw her leap into the sky and felt the thrill of the Chase build inside him. Doing as he was told, he first alerted his rider. {{Mine, she rises.}} Other dragons began to lift from the rim in pursuit of the tiny green and he climbed onto his feet with a self-confident snort. His competition did not know who they were up against!

Dragon after dragon took to the air all around the Bowl, but he lingered on the ledge. More and more competitors entered the race to follow the green skyward. Travath could only watch as a strange sense of uncertainty washed over him, frozen with his wings spread for takeoff. He did not want to do this. He did not want to fly.

H'lan dropped what he had been doing the moment his blue had given word and made his was hastily to the Flight Rooms where his prize was waiting to be seized. Again. Twisted was the smirk on his face by the time he entered the hallway, though it quickly evaporated into clear confusion. An inordinate number of people were filing into a single room. Sure, large groups of chasers was not unusual in itself, but it seemed like the group was beginning to spill out into the hall for lack of room.

((Travath? What are you waiting for?)) He snapped at the dragon.

{{I.. I don't..}} Travath had to think about this hard. What was he supposed to be doing? He hated to make H'lan mad, and he could hear the anger in His voice.

((GO, you stupid blue!)) H'lan snarled.

Another few moments of struggling through confusion passed before, at last, Travath remembered. {{PONTH!}} He could still make her out as she soared ever highward and let loose a roar of frustration. Finally launching himself with a powerful shove of his hind legs, his wings beat furiously to catch up to the mass of challengers. {{You WILL be mine!}}

Rosiegirl

Aeliseth had heard through the chatter of other dragons about a certain tiny green dragon. He’d been curious at hearing that there’d been requests made of certain dragons to join in the chase for this tiny green, and the smart brown had tried to work out on his own the ‘why’ of this request but hadn’t solved the mystery surrounding Ponth, which made Aeliseth even more curious about this green. That curiosity developed into the brown beginning to split his time outside of classes between watching the runners he loved and watching the mysterious green as he attempted to puzzle out the situation.

Today, the observant brown had noticed that something was...different about the tiny green he’d been watching. She looked like she was struggling with herself on her ledge, and the brown couldn’t understand why. So focused was he that when Ponth let out a shriek so full of lustful agony and fury, the slender and almost delicate looking brown reared back on his ledge with his wings half spread and his eyes whirling a fast surprised yet worried yellow-green.

With his whole body tense and his wings still spread, the tip of his tail thumping slightly against his ledge as if he was thinking, Aeliseth watched as Ponth shot from her ledge into the sky. Her challenge, her demand, to be kept safe from some mysterious ‘him’ echoed through the brown’s mind, but he didn’t move as he analyzed this situation.

Aeliseth’s eyes followed Ponth as she flew into the air, watching as males of all sizes and colors began to rise from the ground to join her in flight. As he watched, the brown felt...something going through him in response...he felt a drive to protect, to keep her safe from the ‘him’ that she feared. The brown didn’t immediately respond to these feelings however, not having experienced the drive to chase before and unsure if that was what this feeling was, and so kept himself on his ledge as more and more males rose after Ponth.

Finally though, he wasn’t content to watch what was happening from his ledge...after all, the best way to figure out the puzzle was with a close-up view. That thought made the feelings coursing through his veins surge with increased need to save and protect enough that he very nearly lept off his ledge. But he kept his head enough to reach out to his rider saying {{Mine, I go to Chase. Be quick and I shall take you down to the floor.}}

T’quinn, busy tending to his straps, hadn’t noticed the feelings his brown was experiencing...not until Aeliseth reached out to him and then he was suddenly hit with a wave of lust leaving him gasping. He’d not realized it would feel just so *strong* when it was his own dragon chasing! So it took a moment, and a second nudge from his brown, for Aeliseth’s second words to register. When they did, T’quinn dropped his straps and scrambled up off his couch and out to his ledge. Mounting up quickly, gripping tightly, it hardly seemed like a heartbeat later when his brown had landed and he was scrambling off toward the Flight rooms, wishing his brown luck with his first Chase. He’d begun to wonder what green would finally prompt his brown to Chase.

Stumbling slightly down the hallway, feeling slightly unprepared for what was about to happen, T’quinn was surprised to see how many other riders were at the Flight room. Standing a little bit away from the door, trying to see into the room around everyone else that was there, T’quinn stood there looking even more awkward and confused while he tried to wait his turn to get into the Flight room...if there was even space at this point.

Aeliseth, as soon as his lifemate had boots on the ground, had surged up with his long, slender wings propelling himself off the ground to catch up to the tiny green and her suitors driven by a fierce lust and driving need to protect the green. The brown let out a bugle as he called to the green {{I shall protect you Ponth, just as Mine shall protect Yours! We shall protect you from any and all dangers!}} With the lust clouding his normally logical brain, the brown didn’t connect that he *couldn’t* protect the green from everything, and he couldn’t protect her from the mysterious ‘him’ without knowing who she was scared of.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ko’ssen was nose deep in hidework (when was he *not*, after all) while Zerenth was sunning himself on the Rim and at the same time keeping an ear open for any weyrling who might be having some problems. But, like normal, the bronze was giving a bit of extra attention to listening for either of the twin golds or Cheironth, knowing that his lifemate had chosen those weyrlings for them to mentor specifically over all the other weyrlings.

Still, even though he was listening for the weyrlings, Ponth’s agonized call for protection drew the large bronze’s attention from the Rim. Zerenth watched as the tiny, so tiny green rose into the air with a mass of suitors in her wake, and the bronze’s curiosity at the sight pulled Ko’ssen’s attention from his readings.

[[Zerenth, what’s going on?]] Ko’ssen asked as he leaned back in his chair and took the opportunity to stretch, having already sensed this curiosity his bronze felt wasn’t because of an emergency.

{{Tiny Ponth Rises, and many...a great many answer her call to Chase and protect her and her rider.}} Zerenth explained, the curiosity and even slight concern leaking into his mindvoice as the large bronze watched the green and her suitors rising into the air.

Zerenth’s comment had Ko’ssen freezing mid-stretch to examine what the bronze was feeling. Not feeling any rising lust from his bronze, Ko’ssen let out a small breath at the large bronze’s sense in not chasing such a small green before asking equally as curious [[The green calls for protection? From who?]]

Zerenth, sensing his rider’s worry for this tiny green and her rider, let out a disgruntled grumble and said {{The green doesn’t say. How can anyone protect her if she doesn’t say?}}

Before Ko’ssen could respond to his bronze’s question, Zerenth who was still watching the green and her suitors while at the same time listening to the weyrlings and his specific mentees in particular felt a sudden and surprising desire to chase Ponth. The bronze knew he shouldn’t want to fly Ponth, that the green was just so *tiny* and he was so large for a bronze, even though he wasn’t overly bulky and stocky like most bronzes were, that it would be an unrealistic pairing should he even manage to catch the tiny Ponth...but that desire to chase was suddenly there nonetheless.

Ko’ssen, about to respond to his bronze, was hit with an unexpected wave of lust and shot upright in his chair as he demanded [[Zerenth! What are you doing?! You are much too large a dragon to try catching Ponth!]]

But Zerenth was now determined to chase and protect the tiny green and just replied with {{She needs help, protection. We can protect her, *I* can protect her! So I’ll chase and keep the male she is scared of away from her! None will be able to get past me!}}

Ko’ssen could feel his bronze’s rising determination and knew he wouldn’t get through to his stubborn lifemate, so he groaned as he stood up from his chair. As he left his office, firmly shutting the door behind him, Ko’ssen could feel the mating lust from his bronze beginning to surge through him too, but for the first time he desperately hoped that his bronze would lose this Flight. Yes, with how quick and agile this green, being one of the tiny sized greens, was sure to be his bronze’s chances of actually winning were miniscule, but even so Ko’ssen desperately wished that Zerenth would not be successful this Flight. He didn’t want to consider what would happen if Zerenth, being on the larger side for a bronze, attempted to mate with the tiny Ponth in the middle of Flight lust.

Rising up from where he was settled, the bronze’s focus now entirely on the green flying so high, Zerenth unfolded his long, wide wings and stretched them out before he let out a loud, echoing bellow and called out to Ponth {{Who are you needing protection from, agile Ponth? Tell me and Mine and we will keep you safe from him!}} At that, the bronze bunched his muscles and launched himself into the air with sweeps of his powerful wings, working to catch up with the green and the multitude of chasers.

Moving quickly, Ko’ssen hurried to the Flight rooms and as he reached the hallway even though Zerenth had warned him about ‘many chasers’ the WLM was surprised by the fact that there were so many chasers that there were riders standing *outside* the Flight room. Frowning at this development as well as concerned for the sheer multitude of male dragons that would be vying for the single green in the air, Ko’ssen looked around at the other riders for a moment as he stopped by the door but without trying to push and force himself inside.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 7:14 PM Ariel Rogers <ariel.aurora.rogers@...> wrote:
[...]

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

She could do that.

It was the overshadowing of terror that held her mind from falling completely into the dragonlust that burned under her skin. At least for the moment. Somewhere her thoughts told her that if needs be, in a Flight Room she could at least scream and raise some sort of alarm. Shells, she felt hot and cold all at the same time. Like she was burning from the inside out and it was meeting a wall of ice on the outside. Pointedly and deliberately she sucked the air in hard through her nose, forcing herself to expel it through pursed lips in juddering exhalations that she fought to keep level and calm. It felt as though she were waiting for her execution. The slightest movement at the door made her eyes leap to it only to be both confused and relieved when it wasn't H'lan. Her perplexity continued to grow as still they kept coming. There had never been a gathering this size, not on the few times she had travelled to the Flight Rooms. Sure, there were always some, but certainly not like this.

Dytha raked her hands through her hair as she forced her thoughts, the sound of V'ler's voice caused a startle reaction as though she had scalded herself, seeing her visibly jump back until she processed that this voice belonged to someone else. Not him. "I can't stack the deck, V'ler," she grunted, visibly straining against the surge of dragonlust that tried to take over. "Didn't... didn't see it coming..." And more and more of them continued to appear and for some twisted reason she both wanted to know H'lan was there to remove the uncertainty of "if" and also the relief of not seeing him there at all. But it was short lived. Even if she couldn't see him. He was there all right. Dytha groaned deeply, a hand clutching the wall to steady herself. She felt as though she were being ripped in two and it was agonising.

(( He joins too! ))

It was a shriek of absolute panic as Ponth spotted Travath at the back of the pack. Without thought the visual of Travath was broadcasted into the minds of every dragon at her heels and drenched in terror. The momentary exhilaration of seeing the growing body of chasers was snuffed out as quick as a flame under water. Ponth knew she didn't have stamina like the "normal" sized dragons. Her flights were always short but, if Dytha may say so herself, spectacular in their speed and acrobatics. Snapping her wings shut, the tiny green suddenly banked hard into a spiralling roll that would lead the stream of followers further from the immediate cover of the Weyr and no doubt inadvertently scatter those immediately close to her that didn't have the same turn of speed. Burning need and sheer terror fought with one another as the green let out another trumpeting wail of angry distress.

(( Keep him AWAY! ))

OoC: Am happy for people to try interacting with Dytha etc if they so wish - she's not off limits in any way :)

Laura Walker

The green was scared. Traynth didn't have to tell his rider that in words; at this point in the flight they were as one. Bl'by's vision was flickering between humans and dragons but if the dragon was scared it was likely the rider was. Scared of a particular rider? Well, deal with that later.

For now he pushed through the room, big enough that clearing a path wasn't too much of a struggle, finding the woman in the middle of the group who right now was made wondrously attractive. Hungry though the eyes that moved over Dytha were Bl'by didn't touch but moved instead to shield her. Not the first time he'd used his bulk to bolster and protect a scared greenrider. He might not be able to do it alone but a few more joining him -- and Traynth was already broadcasting the intent even as he arrowed after the tiny green -- and Dytha would be protected in the semi-circle in the middle.

"Let go, lass," he advised, his voice gentle. "She wants you to follow her. We'll make sure you're safe enough."

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 9:36 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
[...]

"We're here. No one is going to hurt you." I'des assured, glancing around as if he could spot... Whoever the danger was. He joined Bl'by in the protective ring.
-------
Sunstreath trumpeted, catching the image that Ponth shared, sharing it again. ((Do not let him win!))

Ponth changed direction, swiftly, and with a snap of his own wings, Sunstreath twisted to follow.
-------
Vizslath tried to turn, to follow as well. As he did so he spotted Travath in the pack, however, and the bronze tucked one wing and slid into a downward roll- hopefully straight into the blue.

Kevin M

OOC: GDI I hate having to redo a reply.  Sorry for the late entry...

J'lar had just started his shift when Zeligeth, who had previously been dozing on his ledge, called.  ((Ponth rises.  I chase her to protect her,)) he informed his lifemate, causing him to blink.

((What?  What's going on, Zel?)) he demanded.  He'd noticed something was going on with Dytha, even if he didn't work as closely with her as he did with, say, Cremsden, but didn't know what was going on, and now wondered if it had something to do with flights.

((I chase Ponth to protect her,)) was all he could get out of the brown.  J'lar sighed and started to head out, but then paused and frowned.  He wasn't feeling the waves of 'lust that usually accompanied a flight, which suggested Zeligeth wasn't actually joining in the chase and so he could probably stay, but...

J'lar made his decision.  Better safe than sorry, just in case the dragon got caught up later.  "Uh, Cremsden, I've gotta go... Zel is chasing... sort of.  Something about protecting Ponth?"  Maybe the Healer would know more about what was going on.

Zeligeth, meanwhile, took up position above most of the pack, keeping an eye more on a certain blue than the green, ready to swoop down and 'accidentally' block him if it looked necessary.

~~~~~

Rhyth, on the other hand, was far more straightforward, and hardly even needed the nascent push from a baby gold to get him to chase a green.  Sh'ain, who had been visiting Kassia and the girls, hastily put the baby he was holding back in her bassinet.  "Sorry, love, greenflight," he explained.  Not that he'd complain in the slightest if the woman insisted on him riding out the flight with her, but he wasn't about to suggest it so soon after giving birth.

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

J'lar made his decision.  Better safe than sorry, just in case the dragon got caught up later.  "Uh, Cremsden, I've gotta go... Zel is chasing... sort of.  Something about protecting Ponth?"  Maybe the Healer would know more about what was going on.

"Ponth? Dytha's little green?" And Cremsden did indeed know a little more about what was going on, enough for his eyes to go wide and for him to move to grab at J'lar's arm to get his attention before the brownrider could go. "She had a bad flight last time. Really bad. Keep an eye on her?"

Laurie

Even with his relationship with Tyne, R'zzon wouldn't keep Panagath from flights. But Pan didn't chase after every green he came in contact with. He did know, however, that Tyne was friendly with Ponth's, and R'zzon wouldn't want to end up mating with one of Tyne's friends. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but out of respect.

Then Nimoth pushed, and Panagath decided it would be a good idea to fly. So he took off, letting R'zzon know that he was chasing.

R'zzon wasn't going to worry about whether Pan caught the green or not. At least as a blue, Panagathe wouldn't be too overly large for her, so it might be a good idea for him to catch. Then he had to laugh when he reached the flight room. Shards, it seemed as if the whole male population of the Weyr was here.  Yes, Ponth would be protected all right.

M'gal didn't want Ozayith to chase; it seemed disrespectful to Kassia, and if he remembered correctly, Ponth was one of the Tiny Travelers. And Oz was anything but tiny.  And maybe he wouldn't have chased, though he was ready to go and at least protect the little green.

Then the compulsion came. Not strong, but enough to throw a waffling dragon straight into the syrup. And enough to cause M'gal to want to join.

{{Rhyth is there, so if nothing else, Sh'ain will be there.}}

[[As will plenty of 'moths.]]

Zlorenth chased whoever intrigued him. He'd tried for Ponth before, and lost, but maybe today would be his day. Margana doubted it when she saw the flight room. She was a little disappointed because Cremsden was working, and she noticed that one of his people, J'lar, was there. Well, he turned a blind eye to the flights, so at least there were plenty of men there for when...oops, if...Zlorenth lost.

Karla was bathing Eglanth when she saw hordes of dragons taking to the air, flying after one lone green. She frowned. She wasn't her mother; she didn't sleep with anyone and everyone, but that was a lot of chasers. Chasers who'd be needing relief.

"Eglanth, what's going on?"

{{Ponth rises and she's afraid of one person who chases.}}

Odd, yet also normal. Dragons take care of their own. And depending on the friends that they had, some were taken care of better. She remembered seeing Ponth at the Dragon Infirmary--her rider was a DragonHealer. So of course she had lots of friends.

Karla had never been a flight moth, but she did understand that only one dragon could win. "Come on, Eglanth, we must do our part for the men of the Weyr," she said.

{{Are you sure, dear?}} Eglanth asked, but Karla heard the undertone of approval in Eglanth's mind voice.

"Yeah, this is unusual circumstances. And I'm not sure enough of the Lower Caverns staff would be there." Then Eglanth surprised Karla even more.

{{Green sisters, if you can, send your riders to the flight room used by Ponth's. There will be prime pickings for everyone.}}

Karla laughed.

++++

The image of Travath had all three chasers reeling, and Karla narrowing her eyes. Maybe the chasers would remember who it was; maybe they wouldn't.

But she would.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 01:42 PM, Laura Walker wrote:
"Ponth? Dytha's little green?" And Cremsden did indeed know a little more about what was going on, enough for his eyes to go wide and for him to move to grab at J'lar's arm to get his attention before the brownrider could go. "She had a bad flight last time. Really bad. Keep an eye on her?"
So he was right.  "Anybody in particular I should keep an eye out for?" J'lar asked, voice in a near growl.  He did not take terribly kindly to potential abuse and would be more than glad to help stop it, especially if his mind was clear.

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laura Walker

"Dragon's name was Travath. I don't know the rider." Cremsden kept his voice low, no need to spread Dytha's business around the Infirmary. He released J'lar's arm. Maybe he should go help himself-- find Margana or something? Margana could at least tell Weyrleader R'tal something was up.