Topics

Eyes Open for Opportunity! (attn: Sehrael, Raelah)

Jerzy Tobin

Sehrael had never been inside the Weyr before. She had not been properly prepared for how big it would be. Practically unlimited room compared to what she was used to. Sleeping in a traveling wagon had nothing on this.

Of course, there was far less in the way of privacy, both in sleeping quarters and in bathing, but despite having the wagon to retreat to, Sehrael was used to being in close quarters with many people – enough that this was not too uncomfortable an adjustment. It was only for a few Turns, anyway, and then she could get something more like the crafters got.

In these first few days, she meant to start building her connections. Meeting the right people meant meeting everyone and sorting it out later.

"Ho, there!" she said to the first folks she saw.
"Heyla," Raelah answered back, looking up from what she had been
doing. Namely, oiling the pair of green flits draped across her.
Cecin was draped over her shoulders, her freshly oiled hide gleaming
like a jewel, while Celon was stretched across her lap, in the process
of being oiled. Both greens looked up at Sehrael with curiosity. So
did Raelah, for that matter.

"I don't recall seeing you around before. Just Searched?" Raelah asked.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Aaron

"Heyla," Raelah answered back, looking up from what she had been
doing.  Namely, oiling the pair of green flits draped across her.
Cecin was draped over her shoulders, her freshly oiled hide gleaming
like a jewel, while Celon was stretched across her lap, in the process
of being oiled.  Both greens looked up at Sehrael with curiosity.  So
did Raelah, for that matter.

"I don't recall seeing you around before.  Just Searched?" Raelah asked.

"Close enough to it!" Sehrael answered. "I've got all my eyes crossed and my tees dotted, though, as they say. Looks like you've got a couple o' handfuls there." She waves to the firelizards. "I'm Sehrael."

Jerzy Tobin

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 6:22 PM Aaron <@aaron> wrote:

"Heyla," Raelah answered back, looking up from what she had been
doing. Namely, oiling the pair of green flits draped across her.
Cecin was draped over her shoulders, her freshly oiled hide gleaming
like a jewel, while Celon was stretched across her lap, in the process
of being oiled. Both greens looked up at Sehrael with curiosity. So
did Raelah, for that matter.

"I don't recall seeing you around before. Just Searched?" Raelah asked.

"Close enough to it!" Sehrael answered. "I've got all my eyes crossed and my tees dotted, though, as they say. Looks like you've got a couple o' handfuls there." She waves to the firelizards. "I'm Sehrael."
"Nice to meet you, Sehrael," Raelah replied with a smile. "And
welcome to the Weyr. I'm Raelah and these two ladies are Cecin and
Celon, and yes, they're definitely a handful. Very well trained
handfuls, at least. May I ask, Holdborn? Or crafter?"

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Aaron

"Nice to meet you, Sehrael," Raelah replied with a smile.  "And
welcome to the Weyr.  I'm Raelah and these two ladies are Cecin and
Celon, and yes, they're definitely a handful.  Very well trained
handfuls, at least.  May I ask, Holdborn?  Or crafter?

"Oh, little o' this, little o' that. I learned my da's trade at the Hold," said Sehrael. "No formal craft stamp of approval for me, but I learned how to help him do his work, making booze and sellin' it here and there. Maybe you saw our wares at the Gather, though with all that commotion, I wouldn't be surprised if no one remembers much else."

Jerzy Tobin

"Oh, little o' this, little o' that. I learned my da's trade at the Hold," said Sehrael. "No formal craft stamp of approval for me, but I learned how to help him do his work, making booze and sellin' it here and there. Maybe you saw our wares at the Gather, though with all that commotion, I wouldn't be surprised if no one remembers much else."
"Me and the ladies here spent most of the Gather working, actually,"
Raelah admitted. Any drinks she had usually came from the Caravan's
private stock. Why pay for a drink when she had perfectly drinkable
wine at home. Oh, she'd treat herself to a fancier drink every once
and awhile, but she hadn't had much chance this past gather.

"I'm circus folk, myself. Family, too. We've traveled all over the
North and South. Got my own act with the girls here, even. Its been
a change, staying in one spot for so long. At least its not dull, I
can say that much."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Aaron

"Me and the ladies here spent most of the Gather working, actually,"
Raelah admitted.  Any drinks she had usually came from the Caravan's
private stock.  Why pay for a drink when she had perfectly drinkable
wine at home.  Oh, she'd treat herself to a fancier drink every once
and awhile, but she hadn't had much chance this past gather.

"I'm circus folk, myself.  Family, too.  We've traveled all over the
North and South.  Got my own act with the girls here, even.  Its been
a change, staying in one spot for so long.  At least its not dull, I
can say that much."

"That's tremendous!" Sehrael said cheerily. "I get a bit of moving about and a bit of staying, so looks like this is going to be my bit of staying for a while. Your troupe must have a drink supplier already, I'm sure, but I'd bet marks to muffins we could get you a better deal if they might be interested."

Jerzy Tobin

"That's tremendous!" Sehrael said cheerily. "I get a bit of moving about and a bit of staying, so looks like this is going to be my bit of staying for a while. Your troupe must have a drink supplier already, I'm sure, but I'd bet marks to muffins we could get you a better deal if they might be interested."
Raelah couldn't help but let a quick chuckle escape at that offer.
Not that she could say that it might not be true; she personally
didn't have anything to do with supplies and requistions for the
caravan, so she had no idea what sort of contracts they had going.
But it was a bold offer, to be sure.

"Couldn't tell you one way or another," Raelah admitted. "I don't
have anything to do with that part of the troupe. And I don't know
just what sort of contracts they have going on, to be honest. But I'm
not opposed to passing along the message, if you want me to. Might be
your family carries something our regular supplier doesn't. Either
way, it's no bad thing to take a look at."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Aaron

"Couldn't tell you one way or another," Raelah admitted.  "I don't
have anything to do with that part of the troupe.  And I don't know
just what sort of contracts they have going on, to be honest.  But I'm
not opposed to passing along the message, if you want me to.  Might be
your family carries something our regular supplier doesn't.  Either
way, it's no bad thing to take a look at."

"I'd certainly appreciate the good word!" Sehrael said jovially. "I'd be happy to do the same if there are any good words you'd like me to send around. So, what's good around the weyr? What do weyrfolk do for fun?" There was, of course, a reputation out and about, but Sehrael doubted that was all there was to it.

Jerzy Tobin

"I'd certainly appreciate the good word!" Sehrael said jovially. "I'd be happy to do the same if there are any good words you'd like me to send around. So, what's good around the weyr? What do weyrfolk do for fun?" There was, of course, a reputation out and about, but Sehrael doubted that was all there was to it.
"Well, I guess that depends what you're looking to do," Raelah
answered. "A lot of people enjoy swimming, especially being so warm
and sunny here. Hookball is pretty popular with the candidates and
weyrbrats. There's Harpers for music, dancing, card games and the
like. Heck, I've even put on a couple of shows since coming here, but
that's more to keep my hand in than anything else. Don't want to get
out of practice."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Aaron

"Well, I guess that depends what you're looking to do," Raelah
answered.  "A lot of people enjoy swimming, especially being so warm
and sunny here.  Hookball is pretty popular with the candidates and
weyrbrats.  There's Harpers for music, dancing, card games and the
like.  Heck, I've even put on a couple of shows since coming here, but
that's more to keep my hand in than anything else.  Don't want to get
out of practice."

"Music, dancing, and shows are my kind of fun!" Sehrael said cheerily. That was the kind of venue where people enjoyed beverages. She was going to have to get in touch with whoever facilitated the drinking at the weyr and make that her gainful employment when the Candidatemaster had nothing else for her to be about. She knew how to mix a decent drink.

If she built a relationship there, she would be one step closer to establishing a connection with whoever supplemented the territory's tithes with additional beverages... Surely, the weyrfolk consumed more than the tithes covered.