Topics

Enthusiastic Supporters Attn Garatt, Lennaye, T'ryn

Laura Walker

If you couldn't ride then watching someone else ride was... well, not *as* good but better than nothing. Garatt perched at the side of the jumping field, feet balanced on the bottom rung of the fence as he leaned against it, happy to provide Lennaye with an enthusiastic audience as she practiced her jumping. "Go on, go on, go on -- that's it--" His voice was quiet, talking more to himself under his breath than cheering Lennaye on out loud, leaning further over as she approached the jump.

Jerzy Tobin

If you couldn't ride then watching someone else ride was... well, not *as* good but better than nothing. Garatt perched at the side of the jumping field, feet balanced on the bottom rung of the fence as he leaned against it, happy to provide Lennaye with an enthusiastic audience as she practiced her jumping. "Go on, go on, go on -- that's it--" His voice was quiet, talking more to himself under his breath than cheering Lennaye on out loud, leaning further over as she approached the jump.
Lennaye sat firmly in her saddle, feet tucked into the stirrups as Pip
trotted around the corral. They had been running harder beforehand,
to work out some excess energy, but Lennaye did want Pip to be moving
too fast for what they were going to be doing today. Today they were
going to try jumping hurdles, and Lennaye was, understandably, nervous
about it. It had been terrifying enough learning to ride Pip at a
canter, and then a gallop! At least the runner had stayed on the
ground!

Sure, the jump bars were low, hardly more than a little hop for Pip,
but for Lennaye it might as well have been a huge leap! But she
wasn't going to chicken out now. Not when she had Garatt watching
her! Well, it was now or never. Lining Pip up with the hurdle,
Lennaye urged the runner forward, and eager as always, Pip did as she
was bid. She didn't flinch at the hurdle, didn't stop short, either.
Nope. Pip hopped right over it and kept on going, like it was
nothing. And to her, it really wasn't. To Lennaye, though, it felt
as though she and Pip had gone flying half-way to the moons! They'd
done it! Their first jump!

**

T'ryn had taken some time to come down at watch Lennaye practice, and
had quietly watched as she worked with the runner. He stood a small
distance from another watcher, a boy who was likely another
beastcrafter apprentice. He hadn't wanted to disturb the boy, or
distract Lennaye, so he'd kept quiet, cheering softly as they made the
jump so as not to startle the pair.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

"You did it! You did it." Garatt started to climb the fence to try to get over it but that hurt so he jumped down instead, running around to go through the gate to her, grinning. "And you kept your seat just fine!"

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 10:34 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> If you couldn't ride then watching someone else ride was... well, not *as* good but better than nothing. Garatt perched at the side of the jumping field, feet balanced on the bottom rung of the fence as he leaned against it, happy to provide Lennaye with an enthusiastic audience as she practiced her jumping. "Go on, go on, go on -- that's it--" His voice was quiet, talking more to himself under his breath than cheering Lennaye on out loud, leaning further over as she approached the jump.

Lennaye sat firmly in her saddle, feet tucked into the stirrups as Pip
trotted around the corral.  They had been running harder beforehand,
to work out some excess energy, but Lennaye did want Pip to be moving
too fast for what they were going to be doing today.  Today they were
going to try jumping hurdles, and Lennaye was, understandably, nervous
about it.  It had been terrifying enough learning to ride Pip at a
canter, and then a gallop!  At least the runner had stayed on the
ground!

Sure, the jump bars were low, hardly more than a little hop for Pip,
but for Lennaye it might as well have been a huge leap!  But she
wasn't going to chicken out now.  Not when she had Garatt watching
her!  Well, it was now or never.  Lining Pip up with the hurdle,
Lennaye urged the runner forward, and eager as always, Pip did as she
was bid.  She didn't flinch at the hurdle, didn't stop short, either.
Nope.  Pip hopped right over it and kept on going, like it was
nothing.  And to her, it really wasn't.  To Lennaye, though, it felt
as though she and Pip had gone flying half-way to the moons! They'd
done it!  Their first jump!

**

T'ryn had taken some time to come down at watch Lennaye practice, and
had quietly watched as she worked with the runner.  He stood a small
distance from another watcher, a boy who was likely another
beastcrafter apprentice.  He hadn't wanted to disturb the boy, or
distract Lennaye, so he'd kept quiet, cheering softly as they made the
jump so as not to startle the pair.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

"You did it! You did it." Garatt started to climb the fence to try to get over it but that hurt so he jumped down instead, running around to go through the gate to her, grinning. "And you kept your seat just fine!"
"I did! She did!" Lennaye was beaming with delight and excitement. A
bit more shyly, "Thank you for cheering for me, Garatt. Having you
watching helps me, I think. It really does."

Light clapping from the fence drew Lennaye's attention, and her smile
grew wider when she spotted her father.

"Papa! Did you see?!"

"I did," T'ryn answered as he walked up to the two children and the
runner. "Well done, Lennaye. You're certainly coming along as a
rider."

Lennaye blushed at the compliment. She knew she still had a long,
long way to go yet, but she was making visible progress, and she was
happy to have her father's approval.

"Oh, Papa! I want you to meet my friend. This is Garatt. Garatt,
this is my Papa, Rider T'ryn."

T'ryn turned to the lad who had been watching and cheering on his
daughter, and gave him a warm smile.

"Pleased to meet you, young man," He said, offering a hand to the boy.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

[...]

Garatt hadn't noticed anyone else providing, too caught up in  watching Lennaye himself. He went shyly pink as he noticed T'ryn. That wasn't just a rider, wasn't even just a bronzerider. That was a WeyrSecond who used to be a Weyrleader.

Well-enforced good manners made him straighten up, surprisingly tall once he came out of his comfortable slouch, even if still skinny and awkward. His left hand vanished behind his back, automatically protecting it from sight but he politely shook the man's hand with his right hand. "Pleased to meet you, WeyrSecond, sir." That was a small polite voice, as formal as any Hold presentation, again well-drilled in.

Jerzy Tobin

Garatt hadn't noticed anyone else providing, too caught up in watching Lennaye himself. He went shyly pink as he noticed T'ryn. That wasn't just a rider, wasn't even just a bronzerider. That was a WeyrSecond who used to be a Weyrleader.

Well-enforced good manners made him straighten up, surprisingly tall once he came out of his comfortable slouch, even if still skinny and awkward. His left hand vanished behind his back, automatically protecting it from sight but he politely shook the man's hand with his right hand. "Pleased to meet you, WeyrSecond, sir." That was a small polite voice, as formal as any Hold presentation, again well-drilled in.
T'ryn smiled benignly at the lad, noting the shyness, as well as the
very polite manners. Hold born, most likely. Weyr children tended to
be a little more relaxed, in his opinion.

"I'm pleased to meet you as well, young Garatt. My daughter told me
she'd made a friend who adored runners as much as she does, and I am
glad to be able to meet you. It makes me happy to know she has
someone to cheer her on and watch over her when I cannot do so
myself."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

If anything, Garatt blushed harder though he shook T'ryn's hand solemnly. "Pip's really nice," he offered quietly. "Clever too. I bet they're going to be jumping proper sized jumps before long."