Topics

Congratulations, You're In Charge (Temporarily) JP Kassia/Andronda

sailyn2

After N’shen left, Kassia let the healers tend to her again and then fell into a fitful sleep rather than to ask for the sleep draught. She still wanted to be wakeable if one of the goldriders or someone else came to visit.

It felt as if there hadn’t been a single moment to actually sit down and think, much less rest, since the incident in the Hatching Cavern.  Even the bit of time she’d taken to sleep had her feeling guilty, but it couldn’t be helped.  Kassia was injured.  Foreth was grieving, and both Talith and Truenoth… Well, she could only hope the healers would be able to help them.  In the meantime, that left Andronda and Delysia to take up the slack.

Part of her hadn’t wanted to go into the Infirmary to check on Kassia.  She knew it was necessary, but at the same time it felt like she was intruding where she shouldn’t be.  Kassia needed rest, would need and probably want to see her family far more than she would a young, green goldrider.  But there she was, being led to the room Kassia had been placed in, with an expression of calm on her face that she in no way actually felt.

“Weyrwoman Kassia?  It’s Andronda.  May I come in?”

Brogan lifted his head as Andronda came him, then went back to laying watchfully next to Kassia’s bed.

Kassia was in the wake part of the fitful sleep she’d been trying for, but lying there with her eyes closed where the light couldn’t bother them. She opened her eyes into a squint and turned to look at the young goldrider. She groaned as she jostled her broken arm and her headache protested.

“Come in,” she said. “Have...a seat. Thanks...for coming.”

“Of course!”

Andronda moved quickly to take a seat, arranging the chair so that Kassia wouldn’t have to move as much to be able to look at her.

“How are you feeling?  Is there anything I can get for you, or get the healers to get for you?”

“I’m as good as I’m going to be for the moment,” Kassia said, closing her eyes again. “They said it’ll be a few days before I’m back to being able to do things. I guess you and Delysia will have to step up in the meantime. Have they told the Candidates?”

“Yes, they have.  They waited until this morning, I believe, to bring them back and explain everything.  They’re being kept to the Barracks, I believe, for the time being.”

That was actually her next stop, after this meeting, and then back to the Weyrlings to check up on them.

“Delysia and I have begun to do so, already.  You need not worry, Ma’am.  We’ll keep things running until you’re ready to get back on your feet.”

Unspoken was the ‘however long that might take’.  Andronda would prefer it to be sooner rather than later.  Yes, she wanted to be Weyrwoman herself, eventually, but she wanted to gain a little more experience first before that happened.  This was definitely going to be the first real test.

“They didn’t think it’d be more than a sevenday.” Kassia didn’t need to be able to read minds to know where Andronda’s thoughts were going. Plus, if it was much more than a sevenday, they started running into real issues with who was in charge and that was something she wanted to avoid. Still, who knew...“But if something were to keep me out longer, I’m going to need you to step in for me.”

“Of course, Weyrwoman,” Andronda said softly, looking down and her hands folded in her lap for a moment, to keep her composure from slipping.  Part of her brain was screaming in panic, that she wasn’t ready for this, that she couldn’t do it, that she should run back to Telgar where it was *safe*!  But she wasn’t going to listen to that part of her brain, and she certainly wasn’t going to act on that panic.

“You can count on me to do whatever is needed to help you out, while you’re recovering.  And I am sure Delysia feels the same.”

“You can do it,” Kassia said. She gave a wan smile. “I mean, you’re not me, but you can get by. Keep me up to date on everything.” R’tal and the healers would probably say that she should stay out of things entirely, but even injured and technically no able to perform her duties, she was still the Weyrwoman. It’d take a lot more than a bump on the head to take that away.

Andronda nodded, giving a weak smile of her own in return.

“If you would like, I can come by in the evenings while you are in the Infirmary, to give you a daily report?  That way you’re kept up to date with everything, and can make suggestions as needed?  If the healers will allow it, that is.”

She wasn’t entirely sure Kassia should be doing even that much, as of yet, but Andronda was willing to do so if it would help the Weyrwoman’s peace of mind.

“They’d better,” Kassia said with a bit of a growl. “Keep me up to date. I need to know what’s going on. And make sure my children are sent to me. I haven’t seen them yet.”

“I’ll make that a priority, then,” Andronda said quickly.

She could get the full list of their names and where to find them from Sarati.  And send Sarati down here at the same time.  A quick nudge to Nykantiath had the gold speaking to Sarati’s green; that way she could pick up the list on the way to the Barracks.

“Is there anything else I can do for you, at this moment?”

“Just make sure that there are no major fires,” Kassia said. “Thank you for your help.”

“You can count on me, Werywoman Kassia.  I’ll let you rest, now, Ma’am.”

She stood up, quietly moving the chair back to its place, bowed slightly, and backed out of the room to take up her next duty of the day.