Topics

Cloud Dancers Wing Assistant Interviews (wL S'ryll, Asheran)

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran rapped on the doorframe, then stepped inside the office. He'd taken the opportunity to grab one of the earlier timeslots as soon as the notices had gone up, and now here he was - right on time, though privately he had been trying to beg off craft duties and arrive early to make a good impression.

The twenty Turn old candidate still had dye stains on his hands from earlier, and the faint, sharply caustic smell of tanning solution clung to his - more or less - freshly laundered clothes. But it was the best he could do with the time he had available, between his extra studying in the archives, his rigorous exercise routine, and his Tannercraft apprenticeship.

"I'm here for the interview."

TrueTricia

S'ryll looked up at the knock.  Good, his first time slot was on time, so at least this was off to a good start.  He was casually dressed, but, as S'ryll often joked, he could make a rag look good.  He didn't pay particular attention to details, and yet they seemed to come together.  Truth be told, he tended to buy simple clothes of good quality fabric, so that when he threw on random things, they just looked good because they were made to be that way.  He brushed his hands through his longer hair out of habit, sweepign the not-quite shoulder length thick dark hair back.

"Come in," he said..

Jenna Cunningham

Any effort, whether real or imagined, that went into S'ryll looking good was utterly lost on Asheran. What mattered to him right now was the man's rank. So when asked to come in - and already standing just inside the office - he stepped closer, though kept a respectful distance - the sort of distance men would keep between themselves, real men, bronze riding men.

"Candidate Asheran - senior apprentice, Tannercraft," he added the last as an afterthought, because he was proud of his accomplishments there, however meager it seemed beside a wingleader's rank. Then, on an impulse, he stuck out his hand. "I'm looking forward to working with you, sir."

TrueTricia

S'ryll noted the distance the young man stopped away from him, the crafter ranking, and the stuck out hand.  And at the impertinence, S'ryll raised an eyebrow.  "Good day to you, Sr. App. Candidate Asheran.  I'm wingleader S'ryll of Bronze Vastolth."  Vastolth was sleeping right now, disinterested in these boring interviews when none of the people were about to bathe him.  Which also meant that S'ryll wasn't pressured to introduce him as the "great Vastolth."  The boy had a confidence about him, and he reminded him slightly of himself at a younger age.  S'ryll reached out and gave the other's a firm handshake before continuing on.

 "Please have a seat," he said, indicating a chair in front of his desk.  "So, Asheran, why you're applying to be my assistant," he said, not wasting time with pleasantries when he had so many to get through, even if this was his first.

Jenna Cunningham

"Leadership experience," Asheran said immediately, having had plenty of time throughout the day to think about his answer - not that he had needed the whole day to figure it out. It was obvious. He had taken a seat when directed to, and leaning forward in the chair now, he elaborated:

"I have ambitions for when - after - I Impress, but I don't have a lot of practical experience leading others, and I've got no experience leading dragon riders. I don't have any illusions about what the role entails, but I'm hoping to learn from how you handle your wing in and out of Threadfall."

TrueTricia

OOC: Quick replies tonight!  Sorry!

IC: S'ryll noted and appreciated the immediate and confident answer.  The kid knew what he wanted and why, and was obviously willing to take the steps to do what was needed.  "What are you hoping to Impress?" he asked.  "You'll not be leading mind you, but you'll be observing.  It takes a long time to get to the point where you can even think about knowing enough to lead anyone..."

Jenna Cunningham

"Bronze," he said immediately, without a trace of the superstitious self-consciousness that he sometimes noticed candidates cultivated when asked that question. Oh, you know, as long as it's healthy... No. He wanted bronze - craved it as the culmination to his long candidacy, because the alternative was... failure. "I understand I won't actually be leading anyone - it'll be drudge work, but I'm counting on being able to observe to learn. I want to have a leg up on everyone else when the time comes."

TrueTricia

S'ryll nodded.  "A good bit of leadership is learning what to and not to do, and when to do it.  And there's significantly less pressure when the decisions aren't yours, and neither are the consequences.  The work will be tedious, but I will make sure you learn.  How long have you been a Candidate?" he asked.  "You've got the approval from the CM?" he added.

Thank you,

CPT Tricia A. Nicewicz, USAR