Topics

Can You Help? atten: Calyse/Kashara

sailyn2

Calyse had only started getting used to the layout of the Weyr, and truth be told, many of the tunnels still seemed labyrinthine while she navigated through them. This meant she was lost nearly as often as she knew where she was, but she couldn't give up, wouldn't give up! She was near the Infirmary, of that Calyse was certain, though just precisely *how near* was beyond her.

When she spotted a girl moving through the halls wearing the same awful yellow uniform, Calyse felt a rush of relief. At least she would not be lost for very much longer. As she turned to approach, she noticed the crutches on which Kashara moved and blinked in surprise. "Oh! You're hurt!" She exclaimed before she could think better of it, clapping a hand over her mouth in embarrassment. "S-sorry, that's-- that's a terrible way to say hello."

“It’s okay,” Kashara assured her. “I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Kashara. You weren’t heading back to the Barracks, were you? Could you help me carry my books back?”

"Oh, um, I was actually, so I wouldn't mind at all." Calyse smiled faintly, a twitch at the corners of her lips as she reached to take the aforementioned books. "I'm Calyse. I-I'm a bit new still. Having a hard time navigating. Thought I might lose my, um, my mind before I found my way out again. As long as you know the way there, I can carry."

Kashara passed over the books and gave a little sigh of relief. It was still tough getting around and juggling books didn’t help.

“It takes a while to get used to here,” Kashara said. “Or so I’m told. I was born here. I’ll show you a shortcut, but tell me about yourself.”

She started off to lead the way.

Calyse settled the stack of books against her side, cradling them with one arm. Hearing that Kashara had been born here made her eyebrows rise; what luck! She couldn't have hoped to run into anyone better - no one knew tunnels like a weyrbrat.

"Me? Oh, there's.. there's not much to tell," she answered flatly, skipping once or twice to make up the distance until she was walking abreast of the other girl. "I'm from Benden, my parents are riders. They always wanted me to follow in their, um, footsteps, so I've been a candidate for, oh.. four or five Turns now. Can't stand them, though. M-My parents, I mean. They're just sooo overbearing. I had to get away. This Weyr was 'bout as far away as I could get."

Quietly, she added, "and my brother was here for a while."

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, 5:23 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

[...]

"I get that. About parents, I mean." Kashara smiled at the new girl. "Your brother? Did he Stand? Maybe I knew him."

Calyse hesitated, something like pain flashing across her face before she was able to compose herself. "He.. he did. His name was Selyon, you might have known him. He was a good person, had a lot of friends. Impressed a brown a few Turns ago, but he di-didn't graduate."

Eager to change the subject, she asked hurriedly, "How about you? Got family here?"

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020, 2:23 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"I get that. About parents, I mean." Kashara smiled at the new girl. "Your brother? Did he Stand? Maybe I knew him."

sailyn2

Kashara let it go. Clearly there was some sad story there.

"I have a lot of family here," she said. "I'm one of the Weyrwoman's daughters so I have a lot of siblings and cousins running around. I don't know if you've met Rassia or Shalia yet or not."

Calyse's brows shot high on her head, surprised by the news. "Really? You've got a Weyrwoman for a Ma? That must b-be so much pressure," she remarked, smiling both in empathy and in awe. "What was it like growing up? Did you spend much time around her dragon? What're they like? Was she strict with you, or did you get away with everything? --O-oh! Shells, sorry, y-you don't have to tell me if you don't want. Running my mouth asking personal questions." Her face scrunched briefly in annoyance at herself, and the smile she wore then was apologetic.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, 2:02 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kashara let it go. Clearly there was some sad story there.

"I have a lot of family here," she said. "I'm one of the Weyrwoman's daughters so I have a lot of siblings and cousins running around. I don't know if you've met Rassia or Shalia yet or not."

sailyn2

"It's got some pressure, yeah," Kashara said with a shrug. "I spent a lot of time with her when I was younger, but she was often busy. She was stricter with me than my sister, but we got away with a lot. And yes, I was around Foreth a lot. For better or for worse." She smiled at that.

"My parents were a little like that, too. I imagine all us weyrbrats have similar stories. My Da was really never around, always busy with his duties, but he wasn't a goldrider, o-obviously." Calyse nodded. "My parents are... let's say they're dragonriders first above all else. Like they're s'posed to be, but they serve themselves next and anyone else after that." She had a shrug of her own. "Can't say I really miss them. I-It's been kind of nice being out on my own, making my own choices."