Topics

Browns Are Always Best ((Attn: K'sway, Calyse))


 

Calyse returned his smile slightly less awkwardly than she had before, nodding her agreement. It was good to have company. That all but one of the flits ignored her instructions only made her laugh, and her smile broadened for PrettyGirl. "You really are the smartest, aren't you, Pretty?" 

She scrubbed at the fresh deposit of soapsand, quiet for a few moments before continuing with a conversational question. Curious. "Did you ever think you'd be anything other than a rider?"

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020, 3:52 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Courthe. I like having company." K'sway grinned at her again. "And I could alwayth use the help." An affectionate pat to the brown's side. "He'th a big boy."

Another smile as he paused a moment to take in the flits' antics as well, Skit and Lai taking it in turns to deposit tiny pawfuls on Sixanth at random, while PrettyGirl sang another scale and deposited her pawful where indicated. 


Steelsilver
 

PrettyGirl sang, and went for more soapsand. 

"I wath born in a cothold near here." K'sway answered, scrubbing away industriously, himself. "Parents thaid I could come, when I wath Searched. An' then I got Sixanth." He gave a little bit of a shrug, not that Calyse could see him around the brown's bulk. "I would hath been happy either way, I think, but I'm glad I hathe a dragon. Especially the betht brown ever." he added, playful, and Sixanth arched his neck. ((Of course I am.)) 


 

For some reason she couldn't identify, Calyse found herself wanting to know more about the young brownrider. "What was it like in the cothold? I hear they can be so crowded, but it seems like a really tiny and exposed place to live. Only some walls between you and Thread, doesn't feel like enough without a mountain overhead."


On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 5:35 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
PrettyGirl sang, and went for more soapsand. 

"I wath born in a cothold near here." K'sway answered, scrubbing away industriously, himself. "Parents thaid I could come, when I wath Searched. An' then I got Sixanth." He gave a little bit of a shrug, not that Calyse could see him around the brown's bulk. "I would hath been happy either way, I think, but I'm glad I hathe a dragon. Especially the betht brown ever." he added, playful, and Sixanth arched his neck. ((Of course I am.)) 


Steelsilver
 

"Ith was... nice." K'sway answered. "Lots of work, but I hath a mum, dad, two older sithters. Dad gave me Skit and Lai, when I wath ten. Found'em on a beach." he added. "I... like Weyr life better though. Glad I came." He paused. "And you? Where are you from again?" 


 

Calyse marveled quietly at the idea of merely stumbling across a firelizard clutch, given how expensive they had been in the north. "Me? Oh, um, I'm from Benden Weyr. My Da' rides bronze Finth and my Ma' is of green  Zareeth. I-I grew up around dragons, but I was just an-nother brat in the creche most of the time. It's hard to stand out when you're born there, unless you go and Impress something grand." She rattled on without realizing she had begun to monologue.

"Ma's drawn to rank and my Da' has been a ringleader for a while, so that's how you get me and my bro--" her voice cracked and the sentence died on her tongue. "Well, it *was*. S-sorry. It's hard to remember he's gone sometimes." She went back to scrubbing, falling quiet. 


On Wed, Jul 8, 2020, 3:28 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Ith was... nice." K'sway answered. "Lots of work, but I hath a mum, dad, two older sithters. Dad gave me Skit and Lai, when I wath ten. Found'em on a beach." he added. "I... like Weyr life better though. Glad I came." He paused. "And you? Where are you from again?" 


Steelsilver
 

"'M sorry." K'sway offered, after a long moment of quiet scrubbing. "Never lost anyone close to me before. But... I'm sorry." 

Sixanth lowered his head, turning his neck and deigning to nudge Calyse finally. ((Mine. Tell her that she is not to be sad.)) 

 

K'sway sighed. 


 

"It-it's alright. You didn't do anything," Calyse answered gently. "It's part of being a rider, losing people. You have to get used to those punches in the gut." When the brown nudged her, she seemed surprised, but pleased that he had finally decided to acknowledge her. "Oh, hello fine boy," she accepted the distraction, reaching slowly toward his snout. "Big handsome brown." 


On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 6:42 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:

"'M sorry." K'sway offered, after a long moment of quiet scrubbing. "Never lost anyone close to me before. But... I'm sorry." 

Sixanth lowered his head, turning his neck and deigning to nudge Calyse finally. ((Mine. Tell her that she is not to be sad.)) 

 

K'sway sighed. 


Steelsilver
 

"They cover that a couple times, 'specially before a Hatching." K'sway nodded. "...Speaking of which, are you sure you want an egg? If Lai flies? I know Foreth's going to clutch soon." 

He grinned when Sixanth finally acknowledged Calyse. "He thays you're a good scrubber." 


 

"Thank you, Sixanth. I want to be sure you are spotless as you deserve," Calyse replied to the dragon directly, beaming proudly and working all the harder to clean him with the praise from K'sway. His question earned a considering pause, though he couldn't see her debating frown.

"I'm n-not sure," she said finally. "Would it keep me from Standing, you think? I don't really know m-much, 'bout flits anyway. I've been on the Sands plenty, though. Never been worthy enough for a dragon. Obviously. Maybe a flit will like me more." 

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 7:05 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"They cover that a couple times, 'specially before a Hatching." K'sway nodded. "...Speaking of which, are you sure you want an egg? If Lai flies? I know Foreth's going to clutch soon." 

He grinned when Sixanth finally acknowledged Calyse. "He thays you're a good scrubber." 


Steelsilver
 

K'sway thought about it. "I think that ith you take an egg, they won't let you stand." He answered, slowly. "And thometimes, I've heard that it takes a while, for a dragon to come. I don't want you to miss out."


 

Calyse thought about the dilemma silently for a few minutes. K'sway seemed very kind, giving consideration to her future with the hope she might Impress. "It's.. it-it's hard not to get discouraged after a while when you've seen so many dragons find their lifemates. I know I'm not the only one to feel that way." She sighed, pausing her scrubs long enough to smile at the flits and Sixanth altogether. "How about this: I'll make sure to Stand this time, and if I don't Impress, you can save an egg for me from the next of Lai's clutches."


On Sat, Jul 11, 2020, 6:58 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
K'sway thought about it. "I think that ith you take an egg, they won't let you stand." He answered, slowly. "And thometimes, I've heard that it takes a while, for a dragon to come. I don't want you to miss out."


Steelsilver
 

K'sway thought about it, and then offered a smile, not that Calyse could see. "Soundth like a plan." He agreed, amiably. "Lai's always rising and thoon PrettyGirl will too." He added. "Betcha you do Impress this time though." 

Sixanth snorted, and then sneezed when Skit misjudged and dropped soapsand on his nose.


 

Calyse watched PrettyGirl once he mentioned that she might rise soon, tilting her head at the thought. Given the vastly different personality between green mother and daughter, Calyse preferred the one who was nice to her. "Well, I hope you're right. But I'd like a little PrettyGirl of my own just fine--"

Sixanth sneezed unexpectedly and motion of it was just enough to unbalance the girl. With a squeak, she fell backward into the knee-deep water with a great splash. "Oh! O-oh no!" She gasped at the cooler temperature.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020, 7:40 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
K'sway thought about it, and then offered a smile, not that Calyse could see. "Soundth like a plan." He agreed, amiably. "Lai's always rising and thoon PrettyGirl will too." He added. "Betcha you do Impress this time though." 

Sixanth snorted, and then sneezed when Skit misjudged and dropped soapsand on his nose.


Steelsilver
 

"I'll thee what I can do." K'sway started to promise. "If you don't Impress, I'll-" he started to add, but then Sixanth sneezed, and Calyse yelped. 

 "Hang on!" He called, splashed quickly around to his brown's other side, pausing only a moment before offering a hand up. "Are you okay?" He asked. 

 ((She's *fine*.)) Sixanth grumbled.


 

Calyse quickly took the offered hand, using his help to pull herself back to standing. She couldn't have been more drenched without diving in headfirst, ugly uniform clinging to her skin and dripping. Wet hair matted to her face, she brushed it aside with her free hand. "Shards! That's colder when you go all-in," she sputtered, appraising herself with a glance down at her clothes. Only then did she realize she hadn't let go of K'sway's hand yet, cheeks coloring instantly as she moved to retract her hand. "Th-thanks," Calyse's voice was suddenly quiet, timid. 


On Sun, Jul 19, 2020, 5:45 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"I'll thee what I can do." K'sway started to promise. "If you don't Impress, I'll-" he started to add, but then Sixanth sneezed, and Calyse yelped. 

 "Hang on!" He called, splashed quickly around to his brown's other side, pausing only a moment before offering a hand up. "Are you okay?" He asked. 

 ((She's *fine*.)) Sixanth grumbled.


Steelsilver
 

"Still not as cold as Northern Weyrs. Most days, the water's really nice." K'sway answered, grinned at her. "If you wanted to go for a swim, you should have told me. I'd have brought towels." 

 Oh so helpful, PrettyGirl chirped and dumped a tiny pawful of soapsand on Calyse's shoulder. "Hey!" K'sway scolded, then motioned to the shore. "You want to sit and sun on the shore a little? Maybe dry off? Sorry about that."


 

Calyse smiled wryly at his mention of northern water, nodding in agreement even as she began wringing out the hem of her tunic. "Little colder up there, y-yes. I'll take the lake here any day over the pools in Benden. Shame about the towels, I-I'll warn you next time."

As the soapsand hit her shoulder, Calyse regarded the helpful green with a bark of surprised laughter. "Oh, you sweet thing," she giggled, brushing it off with the back of her hand. To K'sway's idea, she agreed immediately. "I don't think I'll take too long to dry, n-not in this heat." 

Without waiting for him to lead the way, she turned toward the shore and waded quickly out of the water, still shaking it free with each swing of her arms. "Don't be sorry, it-it's fine. Really. No harm done."

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020, 7:04 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Still not as cold as Northern Weyrs. Most days, the water's really nice." K'sway answered, grinned at her. "If you wanted to go for a swim, you should have told me. I'd have brought towels." 

 Oh so helpful, PrettyGirl chirped and dumped a tiny pawful of soapsand on Calyse's shoulder. "Hey!" K'sway scolded, then motioned to the shore. "You want to sit and sun on the shore a little? Maybe dry off? Sorry about that."


Steelsilver
 

K'sway followed, offering her a smile. "Alright then. Mind if I sit with you? For a little bit at least? Sixanth wants to swim anyways. He can rinse off." 


 

Calyse didn't complain at his offer to join her, instead waving at him to follow - as much an invitation as he was going to get. She stopped just at the shoreline and began wringing out her clothes without disrobing. "At least he doesn't need towel," she remarked about Sixanth with a soft half-laugh.

"What was Impression like for you?" Calyse didn't bother with a smooth segue, jumping immediately to an interesting topic. Why bother with unnecessary small talk anyway!


On Tue, Jul 21, 2020, 9:27 AM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
K'sway followed, offering her a smile. "Alright then. Mind if I sit with you? For a little bit at least? Sixanth wants to swim anyways. He can rinse off." 


Steelsilver
 

"It'd have to be a pretty big towel if he did." K'sway grinned, splashing onto the shore after her. He tugged off his still somewhat dry shirt, spread it on the ground for her to sit on. 

"I never thought I could Impress, not until there was a Gather and a dragon spoke to me, and then it was the only thing I wanted. But actually having it happen... It's like nothing else. I love Sixanth, and he loves me. I wouldn't trade him for anything."
 
Sixanth waded closer, the brown rumbling a soft croon, faceted eyes whirling blue.