Topics

Browns Are Always Best ((Attn: K'sway, Calyse))

The Weyr was as busy and bustling a place as she had ever been, rarely did Calyse find herself entirely alone - even on days when she desired it. Late in the afternoon once chores and work had been completed for the day, she felt the need to stretch her legs. The air was hot and humid as it always seemed to be, sun hanging low in the sky above as the colors of sunset began to gather. Arolos was a beautiful place, Calyse had to admit, though it came with a bitter taste knowing this was where her brother had lived his last days. Not home in Benden where they both belonged, but here, surrounded by strangers.

Her feet slowed near the lake, carrying her without aim while sad thoughts consumed her mind. Only when the water touched her toes with a startlingly cold splash did she realize where she'd gone, and stop before wandering further in. Calyse blinked from her reverie, focusing on the brown dragon standing aside the shore while his rider washed his chocolate hide. S'yon had Impressed a brown she had never been able to meet. The shame of it made her chest tight. He would have been such a spectacular brownrider, too.

She found herself staring at the unfamiliar pair for several minutes before deciding to approach, unsure whether she wanted to disturb them at all. These were painful memories in her brain today.

"Good evening and clear skies," Calyse called so as to not startle them, rolling up the hideously yellow sleeves on her uniform. "Do you.. need an extra hand?"

Steelsilver

"Good evening, from both of uth!" K'sway looked up, startled, from his industrious scrubbing, at the voice, spotted the speaker, and gave her an immediate warm smile. "And thure! Always end up needing a hand or two. Help yourthelf." he added, gesturing to the bucket of soapsand, and the scrubber near it. "Sixanth an' me like having company."

The brown snorted.

Calyse offered a small smile after a tilt of her head, disarmed by his friendly manner and way of speaking. "Glad to help," she said flatly, bending to fetch the scrubber and a smear of sand with her other hand. "Sixanth is a good, strong name for a brown. Mine is Calyse." Before approaching the dragon, however, she paused to look into his giant faceted eyes. "May I wash you?"

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 12:57 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Good evening, from both of uth!" K'sway looked up, startled, from his industrious scrubbing, at the voice, spotted the speaker, and gave her an immediate warm smile. "And thure! Always end up needing a hand or two. Help yourthelf." he added, gesturing to the bucket of soapsand, and the scrubber near it. "Sixanth an' me like having company."

The brown snorted.

Steelsilver

Sixanth hummed, and lifted his head away from Calyse, arching his neck proudly. ((I am a very good brown.)) He told his rider.

K'sway sighed. "He doethn't mind." He told her. "Just being a fuss. Nithe to meet you, Calyse."

Calyse watched the brown's head rise and a broad grin stretched across her face to imagine what he was saying. He hadn't seemed offended by her words, so she felt this was a good start. When K'sway spoke again, light blue eyes returned to him and the smile shrank to one small and almost shy. It wasn't hard to guess she felt more comfortable around dragons than people.

"Nice to meet you too, um..." she paused, realizing she hadn't caught his name. Calyse went with the tried and true, addressing him by rank. "Brownrider."

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 10:42 AM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
Sixanth hummed, and lifted his head away from Calyse, arching his neck proudly. ((I am a very good brown.)) He told his rider.

K'sway sighed. "He doethn't mind." He told her. "Just being a fuss. Nithe to meet you, Calyse."

Steelsilver

"My name'th K'sway." The brown rider grinned back, undaunted. "You new to the Weyr?"

Calyse nodded, shuffling to Sixanth's side to start applying the brush and sand to his hide. "I am. Uh, n-not to Weyrs, I'm weyrborn, just to this Weyr in particular. I arrived just a sevenday before the Gather." She paused, glancing toward K'sway. "You all have a bit more excitement here than Benden... someone attacked the Weyrwoman at the dance, I heard. I was there, but I didn't see anything. Er, rambling. Sorry." The girl turned back to the task.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 2:05 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"My name'th K'sway." The brown rider grinned back, undaunted. "You new to the Weyr?"

Steelsilver

K'sway winced, shook his head. "I wathn't at the Dance. Wath at the bubblie pie booth." he told her. "Sixanth heard Foreth screaming and we came right back to the Weyr."

As he spoke, first one green flit, and then another, popped out of *between*, chased each other around Sixanth, and then alighted, one on Sixanth's head to chatter at him, and the other alighting on K'sway's shoulder, tail against his neck as she trilled a greeting to the stranger, turning it into a sliding scale song.

"I think I *should* have been at the bubbly booth," Calyse lamented while she worked. "Someone screamed in the crowd and everyone bolted, it was like watching herdbeasts. Feel lucky I wasn't trampled."

When the pair of flits appeared, she stopped what she was doing to watch their antics.  They made her smile, eyes settling on the green who perched on K'sway's shoulder. "Her voice is beautiful. They are yours, I assume?" Calyse reached the nearest hand toward his green slowly. "We only had a few firelizard back home."

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 3:18 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
K'sway winced, shook his head. "I wathn't at the Dance. Wath at the bubblie pie booth." he told her. "Sixanth heard Foreth screaming and we came right back to the Weyr."

As he spoke, first one green flit, and then another, popped out of *between*, chased each other around Sixanth, and then alighted, one on Sixanth's head to chatter at him, and the other alighting on K'sway's shoulder, tail against his neck as she trilled a greeting to the stranger, turning it into a sliding scale song.

Steelsilver

"I hath three." K'sway told her with a smile. "Thith one is PrettyGirl. She'th the newest. That one's Lai." A gesture to the green perched atop Sixanth. "Two greenth and a blue, Skit."

A pause, and then he reached up, gently scooped PrettyGirl off his shoulder and held her out. "She's the friendlietht one. Go on, Pretty." He encouraged, and the green flit regarded Calyse a moment, and then sang a scale again, nudged her head against the reaching hand.

"Three?" That seemed to surprise Calyse, brows rising. "That's a lot them, isn't  it? Until I arrived, I think I'd seen maybe two in my whole life. --Oh!" As he offered her the younger green flit, Calyse's face softened like a mother looking at a small child.

"You *are* a pretty girl, aren't you?" Her fingers brushed the long neck, scrubbing gently under the green's jaw. "You could tell me she had been Harper trained, and I'd believe you, with a voice like hers. You have a nicer singing voice than me." She smiled affectionately at the firelizard.

"Have you had them long, K'sway?"

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 8:00 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"I hath three." K'sway told her with a smile. "Thith one is PrettyGirl. She'th the newest. That one's Lai." A gesture to the green perched atop Sixanth. "Two greenth and a blue, Skit."

A pause, and then he reached up, gently scooped PrettyGirl off his shoulder and held her out. "She's the friendlietht one. Go on, Pretty." He encouraged, and the green flit regarded Calyse a moment, and then sang a scale again, nudged her head against the reaching hand.

Steelsilver

"Seen others with more." K'sway answered, with a shrug, though he grinned when PrettyGirl began to sing once more, warbling at the gentle touches and shamelessly arching her neck, showing off, even spreading her wings and her small chest practically vibrating with the force of her song. "Eathy, Pretty." he soothed, supporting her with one hand, the other stroking down the green's back. "She singth all the time." he added, gave Calyse another smile. "Had Skit and Lai a long time. Sinthe before Sixanth." he added. "PrettyGirl ith Lai's daughter, latht clutch I kept an egg. Glad I did." A pause. "I could get you one." he offered, suddenly. "Netht time Lai rises?"

Calyse was fully absorbed by the sweet green, adoration on her face. It was hard to focus on her own sadness while PrettyGirl favored her with attention. The lengths she went to, posing and singing with such gusto, kept a charmed smile on her face. "First one I met down here nearly burned all my hair off," she admitted with the hints of embarrassment. "This girl is *much nicer*." There had been no ill intent on Fabio's part, but Calyse remembered the incident with some resentment.

When K'sway spoke about Lai's clutches, Calyse's eyes snapped to him in surprise. "You would do that? You barely know me." It was more of an observation, no offense in her voice. She seemed to consider the offer, biting at her bottom lip. "That's-- that would be real nice, K'sway. No one's ever really given me anything like that before."

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020, 4:39 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Seen others with more." K'sway answered, with a shrug, though he grinned when PrettyGirl began to sing once more, warbling at the gentle touches and shamelessly arching her neck, showing off, even spreading her wings and her small chest practically vibrating with the force of her song. "Eathy, Pretty." he soothed, supporting her with one hand, the other stroking down the green's back. "She singth all the time." he added, gave Calyse another smile. "Had Skit and Lai a long time. Sinthe before Sixanth." he added. "PrettyGirl ith Lai's daughter, latht clutch I kept an egg. Glad I did." A pause. "I could get you one." he offered, suddenly. "Netht time Lai rises?"

Steelsilver

"Thome flits can be kinda dumb." K'sway responded. "Callamere'th better than wild, but all three of mine are wild. Well, Skit and Lai are. Think PrettyGirl'th part Callamere. Special breed." he added, in explanation. "And sure. Th'egg'll go feral if they don't Impress, an' I alwayth try and find Lai's eggs. Don't need pests." he added. "Don't worry about it. So many flits around here..."

He gave her another smile, before clicking. "Here, Pretty." The green finished her song, stretched luxuriously, and then flew back to K'sway's shoulder to give him a nuzzle and resume her perch.

"Callamere.. I think I've heard that name before, but I-I'm honestly not real familiar with it. Smarter flits?" She took one look at PrettyGirl and nodded her head as if she had seen proof before her very eyes. "I would believe that. She's already smarter than the bronze I met." Calyse's cheek twitched at the memory before she seemed to realize she had offered to help with a chore.

"--Oh, shards. Um, sorry, don't mean to keep distracting us. S-sorry, Sixanth," she apologized hastily, scrubbing the soapsand into the brown's hide. "You'll help me though, right? With the egg, and the firelizard after? When the time comes, I mean." The questions were directed at K'sway even if she kept her eyes on the dragon.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020, 8:06 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Thome flits can be kinda dumb." K'sway responded. "Callamere'th better than wild, but all three of mine are wild. Well, Skit and Lai are. Think PrettyGirl'th part Callamere. Special breed." he added, in explanation. "And sure. Th'egg'll go feral if they don't Impress, an' I alwayth try and find Lai's eggs. Don't need pests." he added. "Don't worry about it. So many flits around here..."

He gave her another smile, before clicking. "Here, Pretty." The green finished her song, stretched luxuriously, and then flew back to K'sway's shoulder to give him a nuzzle and resume her perch.

Steelsilver

"Courthe I would." K'sway assured her, watching his green flits play a moment more, before he too set back to work. "And thanks for helping uth." he added. "More handth always welcome."  He moved to Sixanth's other side. "Feelth like there's always more of him to wash."

Calyse kept an eye on the flits as well, glancing between them and the hide she worked on. "Oh, you're welcome. I kind of miss washing a dragon, I helped often with my Ma and Pa's pair. Thought I'd help my brother with his, too, but.." She hesitated, a frown appearing on her face. "Well, it didn't happen."

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 5:30 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"Courthe I would." K'sway assured her, watching his green flits play a moment more, before he too set back to work. "And thanks for helping uth." he added. "More handth always welcome."  He moved to Sixanth's other side. "Feelth like there's always more of him to wash."

Steelsilver

"You're alwayth welcome to come help me if you see uth." K'sway offered. "I know Candidates are busy a lot."

He paused. "I'm originally from a cothold here. Never thought I'd Impress, but I did, to the betht brown ever."

PrettyGirl trilled, and dived at the bucket of soapsand, scooping up a little bit of it in her claws and putting it on the brown. Excited for this familiar game, Lai joined in, and not to be outdone, a blue flit swooped down to join in, chattering away.

Calyse's lips twitched into a smile again at his open invitation, pleased that her company was wanted. It felt so nice to be *wanted* after a lifetime of being invisible back home. "Not too busy that I can't clean a dragon," she laughed self-consciously. "I don't think many of us would give up this chance. Y-you're, um, well, what we want to be. This is part of what we want."

Her scrubbing became absent as her eyes tracked the flits in play, her smile broadening as they deposited the soapsand helpfully on Sixanth. "Now that's a useful trick," she observed, beaming. "A little more over here, you all!" Calyse indicated with her brush.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020, 11:32 AM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:
"You're alwayth welcome to come help me if you see uth." K'sway offered. "I know Candidates are busy a lot."

He paused. "I'm originally from a cothold here. Never thought I'd Impress, but I did, to the betht brown ever."

PrettyGirl trilled, and dived at the bucket of soapsand, scooping up a little bit of it in her claws and putting it on the brown. Excited for this familiar game, Lai joined in, and not to be outdone, a blue flit swooped down to join in, chattering away.

Steelsilver

"Courthe. I like having company." K'sway grinned at her again. "And I could alwayth use the help." An affectionate pat to the brown's side. "He'th a big boy."

Another smile as he paused a moment to take in the flits' antics as well, Skit and Lai taking it in turns to deposit tiny pawfuls on Sixanth at random, while PrettyGirl sang another scale and deposited her pawful where indicated.