Topics

Bedtime Tales (Daily Writing Challenge)

Amy Frazey

"There was a full moon that night, but the air was full of a smoky haze that turned the moon red. It was a night filled with terrible sights and sounds. Far above, a single dragon flew -bronze by the size of his silhouette- with his rider perched in a saddle on his back. The hazy air made the great dragon and his rider look as though they'd been dipped in blood. All around them were uncountable firelizards, both wild and tamed."

Zy'fen looked down at the baby in his arms, and couldn't help but smile. He knew that Tianmar didn't understand anything he was saying, but that didn't matter. Zy'fen was enjoying telling his son a bedtime tale.

"The air was full of the sounds of those many wings, as well as cries of hunger and screeches of anger when some of the fire lizards fought over scraps of food. And the dragonrider, a man that many children feared, for they'd been told he would be the one to come punish them if they disobeyed. His deep voice could be heard calling out to his Bronze, who roared in response. It was a night for fear, a good time to stay indoors and safe. A night for the Wild Hunt."

Jerzy Tobin

[...]

Ataylan had just been passing through, looking for something
interesting to do before bed, when he heard the man speaking to the
baby. A bedtime story, from the sounds of it, but not the sort that
the boy had heard before. It was enough to have him come creeping
closer to listen, curious now.

"What's the Wild Hunt?" Ataylan asked in a quiet voice, unable to help himself.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen looked up, surprised by the unexpected question. He hadn't been aware his voice had carried, tucked away in a corner of the infirmary the way he was, while waiting for Illeana to come pick up Tianmar.

"The Wild Hunt?" He had to think fast, "It's made up of a horde of firelizards and sometimes where, and led by a single bronze dragon and his Rider, to go out and punish people who do bad things." He laughed nervously and shook his head. "It's just a story I was making up for the baby."

Zy'fen shifted in his chair, and the blanket covering his lap slipped just enough to show a quick glimpse of his wooden leg, before he covered it up again.

Jerzy Tobin

Zy'fen looked up, surprised by the unexpected question. He hadn't been aware his voice had carried, tucked away in a corner of the infirmary the way he was, while waiting for Illeana to come pick up Tianmar.

"The Wild Hunt?" He had to think fast, "It's made up of a horde of firelizards and sometimes where, and led by a single bronze dragon and his Rider, to go out and punish people who do bad things." He laughed nervously and shook his head. "It's just a story I was making up for the baby."

Zy'fen shifted in his chair, and the blanket covering his lap slipped just enough to show a quick glimpse of his wooden leg, before he covered it up again.
"Oh," Atayllan said. "It sounds more like a scary story to me." His
eyes went a little wide at the glimpse of the wooden leg, but the boy
was too well mannered to actually ask about it. It wasn't his
business, and his mum would tan his hide if she found out he'd been
rude.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

jarel_lilienkamp

Illeana giggled as she walked in. She knew what time of the year it was and she knew the stories that would appear. She smiled warmly to Zy'fen and Tianmar. "The wild Hunt huh?" She eyed Atayllan with a mischievous grin. "I wonder, do you have a scary story at all?"