Topics

And they all came tumbling down. (Almira/Lerian) #medhunt

Alyx

The first day of the med hunt, Lerian had spent hanging out with the guys. But this morning, just after breakfast, Lerian spotted his friend Almira. He hadn't even been sure she was coming or he'd have checked on her sooner. He bounced over to the older girl, full of youthful energy. On each shoulder sat a flit, Sandy was calm and behaved, Star was snoozing in a little pocket Lerian had clumsily sewn onto his shirt with his little belly stuffed full.

"Hey Almira! I didn't know you came on this, having fun so far? I have been looking around, you should see the cliff I found yesterday, it was so cool, and I wanna see what was on top of it. I was gonna go check it out, wanna go with?"

Amy Frazey

Almira was still sitting at the tables after most everyone else was gone, rubbing oil into the hide of a sleeping Dahlia, when Lerian came bounding over and started chattering at her. She smiled at his happy enthusiasm, and nodded. "It's nice to get out and do something new. To see new places." She corked the oil bottle and wiped her hands off, then offered it to Lerian, in case Star needed oiled. "Are you sure it's safe?"

Alyx

"Sure, saw it when some guys and I went out. Kel really needed a walk but they wouldn't let him, so we helped." He grinned as if the whole thing had been his idea, which in a way it had. But they'd gotten him fresh air, some fun, and nothing too bad had happened so adventure well worth it at far as he was concerned.

"We might wanna grab something for lunch though it's a bit out there. It's so pretty Almira, it's this cliff see, and part of it sorta looks like a dragon in flight. There's a wing stretched out and everything. I wanna see what's on top. I bet you could see forever from up there."

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira was still sitting at the tables after most everyone else was gone, rubbing oil into the hide of a sleeping Dahlia, when Lerian came bounding over and started chattering at her. She smiled at his happy enthusiasm, and nodded. "It's nice to get out and do something new. To see new places." She corked the oil bottle and wiped her hands off, then offered it to Lerian, in case Star needed oiled. "Are you sure it's safe?"

Amy Frazey

Almira tucked the flask of oil in her belt when Lerian didn't take it, and looked down at the sleeping Dahlia. Carefully, she scooped up her tiny green flit, who was still small enough to fit in her cupped hands, and stood. "Sure, lead the way. I really could use some fresh air." She glanced toward where the fellis stewing pots were, wrinkling her nose."Grab some bread and meat and let's go."

Alyx

Lerian grinned widely, and ran back the way he'd come, grabbing up a bag he'd packed with a decent lunch of loaves of bread, a chunk of cheese, and some left over meat from before. Slinging it over his shoulder, he waved a hand towards a slight path through the brush.

"Come on then, there's a great place to have lunch, just before we get there. There's even a citrus tree."  Lerian set off at a brisk pace, but not quite running. Sandy, as the boy ducked under a limb dropped off his shoulder and flew ahead caroling happily.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 6:34 PM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira tucked the flask of oil in her belt when Lerian didn't take it, and looked down at the sleeping Dahlia. Carefully, she scooped up her tiny green flit, who was still small enough to fit in her cupped hands, and stood. "Sure, lead the way. I really could use some fresh air." She glanced toward where the fellis stewing pots were, wrinkling her nose."Grab some bread and meat and let's go."

Amy Frazey

Almira smiled to herself, and was thinking about making a pocket for Dahlia, like the one Lerian had on his shirt for Star. That way her hands would be free, but Dahlia could still sleep and be safe. "Looks like you already thought of everything." She nodded at the bag, assuming it had their lunch in it. She didn't have much trouble keeping up with his near jog, but shifted Dahlia to the crook of her arm so she'd have at least one hand free. "Mmm, I like the smell of citrus."

Alyx

"I do try." He grinned over his shoulder, then ducked sideways onto another smaller track. "Watch yer feet Almira, there's some roots through here."

Sandy chirped up ahead of them, and Lerian after a dragonlength or so, turned onto the banks of a small stream, so they'd not be lacking in water either. Now there was room to walk side by side, and he slowed up a bit.

"I like citrus too, I wanna pick some on our way back I think it'd be really yummy as part of a sauce for herdbeasts. Maybe over those steaks that they pound flat and bread."

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira smiled to herself, and was thinking about making a pocket for Dahlia, like the one Lerian had on his shirt for Star. That way her hands would be free, but Dahlia could still sleep and be safe. "Looks like you already thought of everything." She nodded at the bag, assuming it had their lunch in it. She didn't have much trouble keeping up with his near jog, but shifted Dahlia to the crook of her arm so she'd have at least one hand free. "Mmm, I like the smell of citrus."

Amy Frazey

Almira followed Lerian, who she was coming to think of more and more as a little brother, and was quiet while she watched where they were walking. The footing was a bit touchy, so she had to be careful.
When the path widened a little, beside the stream, Almira caught up and walked beside Lerian, glancing at him. "You really do like to cook, huh?"

Alyx

"Of course I do. I'd not have chosen it other wise. Of course part of the reason I like to cook is I rather like to eat. So I wanna see if things are good, and if they are, well I like sharing with my friends. I don't ever wanna be in a spot where I can't find something good to eat."

Usually Lerian wasn't so serious about things. But he remembered fear, and hunger, and when there wasn't enough to go around how things often were dropped for those who were deemed as less. Not that it had happened much to him at Arolos, but he knew that it existed in the world, and he'd do what he could to fight that. Even if all he could do was offer someone a meal. Of course as a rider he could do more, and would.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:35 PM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira followed Lerian, who she was coming to think of more and more as a little brother, and was quiet while she watched where they were walking. The footing was a bit touchy, so she had to be careful.
When the path widened a little, beside the stream, Almira caught up and walked beside Lerian, glancing at him. "You really do like to cook, huh?"

Amy Frazey

Almira nodded and looked thoughtful. "I'm not that good in the kitchen. I mean, I know basics, but I'm no master cook. I always liked spending time with my sister, and the little ones, more." And she'd never been in a situation where food was in short supply. There was always something to eat, even if it wasn't her favourite foods. Although, since coming to Arolos Weyr, the menu had been better, with more variety.
SHe glanced at Lerian and wondered about his unusually serious expression, then nudged him with her elbow, careful not to dislodge Dahlia. "Hey, how far away is this place of yours?"

Alyx

"Oh it's not too far, we follow this stream, till ya see that big hill down there?" He pointed out in front of them, where the land humped up into a short high hill.

"It's just on the other side of that hill. Everything there drops off after that hill, this stream's got a pretty waterfall, and part of the rock there looks like a dragon."

Lerian didn't say anything, but there was a nice little path to the bottom. No need to worry about things like slipping and falling. Though once to the bottom they could have lunch, then he wanted to explore the cliff face.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 8:08 PM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira nodded and looked thoughtful. "I'm not that good in the kitchen. I mean, I know basics, but I'm no master cook. I always liked spending time with my sister, and the little ones, more." And she'd never been in a situation where food was in short supply. There was always something to eat, even if it wasn't her favourite foods. Although, since coming to Arolos Weyr, the menu had been better, with more variety.
SHe glanced at Lerian and wondered about his unusually serious expression, then nudged him with her elbow, careful not to dislodge Dahlia. "Hey, how far away is this place of yours?"

Amy Frazey

Almira looked in the direction Lerian was pointing, but she glanced back the way they'd come, just for a moment before once again following him down the path. They hadn't told anyone where they were going, and Almira wondered for a moment if they would get in trouble for wandering away from the others. She wasn't all that interested in the waterfall, but did want to see the dragon shaped rock formation Lerian was talking about. It was so quiet here beside the stream that she relaxed as they walked, and started humming under her breath.

Alyx

Lerian darted off the path really quick, and came back with a large handful of red berries, which he held out to share with Almira. He tossed one into his mouth with a grin and went around the bend of the stream, then the path crossed sides, and he hopped quickly from one dryish rock to the next till he was on the other side. There he paused to wait, the stream wasn't very deep here, and the rocks were probably just a long step for the taller girl following him, but he was careful of his friends.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 4:35 PM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira looked in the direction Lerian was pointing, but she glanced back the way they'd come, just for a moment before once again following him down the path. They hadn't told anyone where they were going, and Almira wondered for a moment if they would get in trouble for wandering away from the others. She wasn't all that interested in the waterfall, but did want to see the dragon shaped rock formation Lerian was talking about. It was so quiet here beside the stream that she relaxed as they walked, and started humming under her breath.

Amy Frazey

Almira stopped when Lerian left the path, not sure she should follow him. But he came back quickly, and she grinned back at him when he offered some of the red berries. SHe had to eat one handed, but the berries were sweet. When they got to the stream crossing, though, she paused again, hesitating because Dahlia was still asleep in the crook of her arm, and the stepping stones were a bit to far apart.

Frowning, Almira thought about how to get across without jostling or dropping Dahlia if she needed both arms for balance, and it took a minute to come up with a solutions. Quickly, after turning her back to Lerian, Almira tucked the sleeping green into her shirt, glad she was still so small. When Dahlia was settled securely in Almira's underclothes, She turned and hopped across the stream to the other side.

Alyx

"We're almost there Almira, and there's a great place to eat lunch. You'll see." Lerian headed out again, and led them down a nice path to the bottom of the waterfall, where there was indeed a nice sandy bank, just asking for a picnic. Here where the water fell, the water was a deep blue, and from the sandy shoreline, looking up there was indeed a cliff face that looked a bit like a dragon.

Lerian pulled the bag he'd been packing down from his shoulder, and pulled out a nice water skin, took a drink, then offered it to Almira. He dropped himself down on the ground, near a small patch of plants. They were green, very green, with five leaves, and little yellow flowers. It was kind of pretty, and he hadn't seen it before, so he picked a couple handfuls, and stuffed it into his back pack's smaller front pocket. [Natural Steroid Found]

Then be began unloading the things he'd grabbed for lunch, a few rolls, some spiced roast herdbeast, and his prize, a small lump of cheese.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 6:49 PM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira stopped when Lerian left the path, not sure she should follow him. But he came back quickly, and she grinned back at him when he offered some of the red berries. SHe had to eat one handed, but the berries were sweet. When they got to the stream crossing, though, she paused again, hesitating because Dahlia was still asleep in the crook of her arm, and the stepping stones were a bit to far apart.

Frowning, Almira thought about how to get across without jostling or dropping Dahlia if she needed both arms for balance, and it took a minute to come up with a solutions. Quickly, after turning her back to Lerian, Almira tucked the sleeping green into her shirt, glad she was still so small. When Dahlia was settled securely in Almira's underclothes, She turned and hopped across the stream to the other side.

Amy Frazey

It was a relief to know they were close and she would be able to find a place to set Dahlia down. The flit wasn't heavy at all, but keeping her arm crooked like that, and being so careful not to jostle Dahlia was making the muscles in her arm a bit sore.

When she reached the spot where Lerian had stopped, Almira took it in and smiled. "It's really pretty here. Almost reminds me of home. There are some pretty streams and waterfalls there, too." She carefully knelt and found a place in the soft sand to lay Dahlia down, then turned to take the water skin from Lerian as she took in the scenery again. It was pretty, sure, but she would be staying away from the water, content to just view it from the bank.

Alyx

"I thought you'd like it. See that rock up there? The one that looks like a dragon's neck? Sandy said there's some really pretty rocks up there. I want to go look myself. You wanna come?" Lerian asked as he put his pack back down, and folded the flaps closed tightly. Last thing he wanted was bugs getting into the goodies he'd packed. Of course the route he planned to take, took him above the deeper part of the lagoon and across some of the smaller bits of the waterfall. The climb would be a tricky one for sure. But Lerian seemed to thrive on a challenge. Though one thing he had learned from one of his recent adventures, out of his pockets came a pair of thin, very flexible gloves. They were just enough to keep away bug bites, which is what he intended them for.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
It was a relief to know they were close and she would be able to find a place to set Dahlia down. The flit wasn't heavy at all, but keeping her arm crooked like that, and being so careful not to jostle Dahlia was making the muscles in her arm a bit sore.

When she reached the spot where Lerian had stopped, Almira took it in and smiled. "It's really pretty here. Almost reminds me of home. There are some pretty streams and waterfalls there, too." She carefully knelt and found a place in the soft sand to lay Dahlia down, then turned to take the water skin from Lerian as she took in the scenery again. It was pretty, sure, but she would be staying away from the water, content to just view it from the bank.

Amy Frazey

Almira looked up where Lerian was pointing, but shook her head. She didn't really feel like climbing rocks today, and wanted absolutely nothing at all to do with the water, pretty view or not. "I'll just stay here and keep Dahlia company."

Alyx

"Alright. Sounds good. I already looked around, didn't see  any signs of anything dangerous." Not that he knew all there was to know about dangerous. He was just a kid, and hadn't spent much time out in the wilds. But Sandy was happy, and hadn't reported anything, and Lerian trusted the bronze flit a lot. He reached into his pocket, and carefully removed the still sleeping Star, and set him down next to his sister. The tiny blue blinked twice at the sudden chill, but then wiggled in closer to his sister and laid his little wedge shaped head across her back and with a sigh went back to sleep.

As Lerian headed towards the cliff face, Sandy flew lazy circles around the boy's head. Lerian stood there for a moment, examining the rock in front of him, before he started up. Sandy landed a bit above the boy's head, and hopped from spot to spot as the boy climbed. Everything was going smooth, but then Lerian got to the waterfall. This part would me more tricky, the rocks were wet, and slick.

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 7:39 PM Amy Frazey <ladyrose57@...> wrote:
Almira looked up where Lerian was pointing, but shook her head. She didn't really feel like climbing rocks today, and wanted absolutely nothing at all to do with the water, pretty view or not. "I'll just stay here and keep Dahlia company."

Alyx

(OOC notes, this is a jp portion of this thread, we are looking for a healer, feel free to drop in!))

"Alright. Sounds good. I already looked around, didn't see  any signs of anything dangerous." Not that he knew all there was to know about dangerous. He was just a kid, and hadn't spent much time out in the wilds. But Sandy was happy, and hadn't reported anything, and Lerian trusted the bronze flit a lot. He reached into his pocket, and carefully removed the still sleeping Star, and set him down next to his sister. The tiny blue blinked twice at the sudden chill, but then wiggled in closer to his sister and laid his little wedge shaped head across her back and with a sigh went back to sleep.

As Lerian headed towards the cliff face, Sandy flew lazy circles around the boy's head. Lerian stood there for a moment, examining the rock in front of him, before he started up. Sandy landed a bit above the boy's head, and hopped from spot to spot as the boy climbed. Everything was going smooth, but then Lerian got to the waterfall. This part would be more tricky, the rocks were wet, and slick.

Almira sighed to herself, leaning back on her arms and looking up at the sky, though she also kept track of Lerian in her peripheral vision. It was nice to have a bit of quiet time, away from all the people in the weyr. Her family hold hadn't been even half as populated, and she still longed for solitude now and then.

Now that he was closer to the water Lerian moved slower, making double sure of his handholds, and that his feet wouldn’t slip off whatever he was standing on. Normally Sandy didn’t worry much, but he gave the boy a cautious croon and flew past the water, and to the top of the ‘dragons’ head. Lerian of course was paying more attention to where he was going than his flit at the moment. He crossed the first set of wet rocks with no problem, and only slipped a little on the second.  But he was almost there. The rocks were getting drier again, at least for a bit and he went a little faster through there. Only a little further to go. While he was at a safer point, he sat on a small ledge and turned around to wave at Almira on the ground. He was a little surprised how...small she looked. He must have gone up higher than he thought it would be. Turning back to the rocks, he scaled the last little bit, and was sitting on the dragon’s neck.

It was beautiful from up here. The stream fed down towards the sea, the tops of the trees swayed in the light breeze, further down towards the coast he could see a couple wherries circling. After a moment he grabbed one of the pretty, shiny rocks that Sandy had shown him, a fairly large quartz piece. As he tucked it into his pocket, and shifted his weight, to go  back to the cliff face though, he heard and more alarmingly felt a creak in the rock. For a moment he froze, but then the neck started to dislodge from the cliff, Lerian scrambled as fast as he could towards the cliff, and he almost made it. The rocks gave way under his fingers and he fell, though his scramble had at least put him plummeting after the rocks, rather than under them.

Almira relaxed a bit as the sun warmed her up, and a quick search found a patch of particularly soft grass, which she laid back on, with her arms crossed behind her head. She was a bit nervous, watching Lerian climb, especially when he got to the part where he slowed down. But then he was past it, and she closed her eyes for a moment, the warm sun and peace of having a moment to herself making her relax again.

Almira didn't see hen Lerian reached his goal, or when he waved at her. She was almost dozing when the sound of falling, clattering rocks snapped her out of it, her eyes flying open as she sat up and looked to where she'd last seen Lerian. But he had climbed even higher than she realized.

A heartbeat later, Almira was on her feet and running, leaving behind a suddenly wakened Dahlia, who screeched unhappily at the fearful awakening.

As the rocks fell down the cliff, they bounced and rattled, making a great noise, around the tumbling rocks two tiny flits flew wildly, Star had been shocked awake with Lerian’s fear. The first rocks hit the water with great splashes followed by the boy’s relatively tiny form, which was clung to by the two flits, they were pulling frantically on his clothes even as he went under. A few seconds later both flits re-emerged flying in frantic circles above where the boy, who resurfaced was floating face down, blood staining the water near his head.

"LERIAN!" Almira screamed her friend's name

without conscious thought, just as he and several of the falling rocks hit the water of the lake. Dahlia had joined the other two flits in their frantic, fear driven flight. She skidded to a stop at the edge of the water, screaming his name again and watching helplessly, just as terrified of the water as she was of Lerian being dead. It brought back the memories of what had happened to her sister.

Almira ran back and forth along the edge of the lake, scared out of her wits when she saw blood beginning to turn the water around Lerian red. He was motionless, not responding to her, or to the cries of the firelizards. The blood was what made her wade into the water and begin swimming over to Lerian's limp form. The situation was entirely too similar to what had happened to her sister, with the falling rocks and bloody red water.

Lerian, because of the current floated towards Almira, his flits were tugging at him again, trying to turn him over. To not much effect until Sandy screeched and dove at one of the boy’s shoulders, managing to hit it hard enough to turn him over. The impact made him thrash feebly and cough, though he didn’t wake or move more than that. Once he was floating upright, Star landed on his chest cheeping with worry.

Almira couldn't bear the sight of Lerian's blood. Or the memory of what had happened to her sister. She didn't want a repeat of that terrible day. She had just reached him and was about to tow him to shore when Sandy managed to get Lerian turned over so his face wasn't in the water. It was a huge relief when Lerian coughed and moved, but Almira was still terrified he wouldn't make it. The idea that he might not, that scared her more than anything, even the deep water.

After looping one arm around his chest, Almira began to swim for shore, using her free arm and trying to hurry. Lerian was hurt, but she didn't know how badly. It was good that he coughed on his own, though. And as soon as she was able, Almira stood up and maneuvered Lerian so she could -mostly- carry him to dry land. Once that was accomplished, and Almira knew Lerian was secure and breathing, then she would worry about everything else.

Lerian had a nasty cut along the back of his head that was bleeding pretty badly, and his breathing was fitful until he coughed again and kept coughing till he rolled onto his side and coughed and vomited out a lot of water. After that he was breathing easier.

Sandy and Star landed on the ground next to the soggy humans cheeping fearfully. They kept looking from him to Almira, looking lost. Lerian groaned softly and curled into a ball on his side.

By the time she got Lerian and herself both safe out of the water, Almira was shivering and trying to breathe, and was barely able to stop shaking long enough to make sure Lerian was alright. It seemed like a good sign to her when he moved on his own and curled into a ball. At least he *could* move. Her sister hadn't been able too, after little Almira finally managed to drag them both to solid ground. Both girls had nearly drowned, and only one of them had come away from the incident whole.

Almira didn't have any dry clothes, but there was a small blanket in the pack she'd brought with her, as well as their picnic lunch, and she crawled over to it on her hands and knees, dripping the whole way, then took the blanket back and spread it over Lerian before picking up Sandy, so she could send him for help. Anyone would do, but she especially tried to emphasize that Sandy needed to find and bring back a Healer.

Sandy was willing to come to Almira, and after a moment of concentrating, seemed to pick up on the idea of what she wanted. Sandy projected back a pretty clear image of the healer he knew best, which happened to be the one that had made his pet almost puke. But the image of Cremsden was clear enough, with a feeling of questioning.

Star cheeped sadly, at being ignored then crawled under the edge of the blanket with Lerian and cuddled up against the boy cheeping at him.

Sandy tilted his head at Almira, then chirped once firmly, jumped up into the air, and disappeared, to look for Cremsden, or at least a healer.

Almira tried to focus on the image Sandy sent her, then nodded as he took off and disappeared *Between*. She curled up next to where Lerian was laying, and tried to soothe Dahlia, who had anchored herself to her dripping wet girl, and was cheeping along with Star.

Sandy appeared back at the main encampment, near where he thought the healer he knew would be, the man who had once repaired his pet’s arm after a fall. He was indeed near the healers, and he’d go to the first person he saw.