Topics

And Humpty Dumpty Had a Great...Blast atten: ALL/Healers/guards

sailyn2

Things were never entirely quiet around Arolos. Whether it was political issues between having two Weyrleaders, wine being taken away after parties, attacks at the Gather, heat waves, or monsoons, the last few months had been no different. That said, the last sevenday or so had been nice and quiet. With Kassia growing noticeably pregnant while dealing with Foreth sitting on her own eggs, including two gold eggs, Kassia was glad for the reprieve.

It was that point on in the day where the sun was very low in the sky, barely visible and offering meager light. Foreth was in the Caverns, as always, curled around her eggs with the twin golds holding the majority of her attention. Truenoth and Talith were tucked inside with her but close to the entrance. Kassia was just finishing her paperwork for the day. She stood and stretched.

“I’m going to be in the temporary weyr for a few minutes, love,” Kassia called to her lifemate before turning to head into the weyr which had been enlargened since she’d first started inhabiting the Caverns with Foreth.

Kassia stepped inside and reached for her carafe of juice.

Suddenly everything went dark and she was flying across the room. A large boom ripped through the weyr. She screamed as she hid the door and everything went black.

The big dragons guarding the place were going to keep him out with all that flailing they were doing, but Kodah was going to get inside to Kassia if it killed him. He had not let a single soul inside, not but those who were allowed, and he knew his colleagues had not, either. Had something burst beneath the Caverns? He could not say.

And he very nearly went flying at the swipe of the bronze one's tail, but he managed to dive out of the way just in time.

"Kassia!" he called as he scrambled back to his feet.

N'shen's head immediately whipped toward the Hatching Cavern, and he instinctively pressed the palms of his hands to his eyes.

[[What happened!?]] he demanded of the screaming voice in his head.

((A blast! I cannot see! You must come now, we must save my children!)) Truenoth demanded. N'shen was on his feet and running in a moment, but his shoulder glanced off the frame of his door as he ran. He cursed and gathered himself together again and resumed his dash toward the Hatching Grounds.

Talith was up and snarling at hidden dangers in the sudden blackness, bewildered but ready to guard his eggs. ((Truenoth! Something attacks!)) he warned. He couldn’t imagine what, but he had felt the scorch of heat against his hide before darkness had fallen, could feel the burn now. He heaved himself up and staggered a few wobbly feet, tripping on the bronze’s tail. ((Dragon attacks!)) he said alarmed, feeling the hide. ((Be wary!))

It had been a perfectly normal conversation. Calm small talk, the kind normal people had when out for a walk.

Normal people didn’t feel the world explode in their heads though. R’tal didn’t even stop to ask what had happened, just went white and turned, breaking into a run.

Between the initial blast and Kassia going black confusion had fallen over Foreth for a moment. Something had gone wrong, she knew that much. Her butt and tail burned. Smoke concentrated near the wall and the Stands and was spreading.

((Mine...Mine...Mine...!)) Each word was more and more panicked sounding as she probed at her lifemate’s mind even as twin instincts to protect her lifemate and her clutch warred at her.

Back in the temporary weyr, Kassia started to rouse. The world was still dark with the little light coming through the windows into the Caverns from the temporary weyr being covered in smoke. She could barely breathe through the smoke. Coughing, she tried to roll onto her hands and knees and screamed and nearly passed out again as she leaned weight on her arm.

((MINE!)) The pair might fight, but when it came to it Kassia was her lifemate and she’d kill anyone that tried to hurt her. ((NO ONE HURTS MINE AND MY EGGS!))

Her eyes rolled red-orange as fury rushed through her. She half opened her wings, smacking into the sides of the Caverns and at least one of the other dragons and then whirled toward the temporary weyr. Unfortunately her attention was more on getting to her lifemate in that moment and not for the eggs at the edges of the clutch.

"Foreth!" Kodah called. "FORETH!" He had no intention of letting the gold tear him apart without realizing who he was if he tried to get to Kassia without her permission. "It's me, Kassia's guard. Let me get to her!"

Sniffit bounded in behind Kodah but did not advance any further than he did. He echoed Kodah's sentiments to her as best he could.

There were a few sickening crunches that Foreth would regret later. For now she had her goal and went for it singlemindedly. She reached the edge of the Stands as Kodah did and pulled back a paw, ready to take out the threat.

Kassia had heard Kodah’s cry and even as she struggled to get closer to the door, she threw her will at the gold just before the deadly claws could come down. ((DON’T HURT HIM! Let him SAVE ME!))

Foreth hesitated, shaking her head hard.

((Make him get me out,)) Kassia added, struggling to think through the pain and the smoke.

Foreth lowered her paw and to Kodah she said, ((SAVE MINE! You hurt her more, and I’ll eat you.))

Kodah might have had something clever to say if he had a few minutes to ponder it, but as it was, he was too focused on his job to think of it.

[[Sniffit, rescue!]] he sent with images of the wher clearing the rubble. The pair rushed in and quickly but carefully got to work lifting the fallen debris to reach Kassia.

"I'm coming, Kassia!" he called. "Can you hear me?"

The sound of Kodah’s voice came in through the door. Kassia lifted her head and groaned as even that shifted her on her arm. “I’m in here!” she called as loud as she could manage and then dissolved into coughing.

Sniffit rushed in through the door, staying low to the ground and searching for Kassia by scent – the wher had hers committed to memory, of course. When he reached her, he crooned to her and sent what he saw back to Kodah, who followed him in.

Kassia sagged back to the ground with relief as the sight of her wher an guard saviors appeared in the dark weyr. “Hel...help...” she gasped between coughs. “Hit...my head...arm...broken...I think...”

((HURRY!)) Foreth snapped in his head.

Kodah very carefully lifted Kassia, supporting her as best he could without hurting her arm any worse than it was.

"You're going to be OK," he said. "Stay with me."

**Big bronze, stop screech, get Healer!** Sniffit chastised Truenoth, and a few moments later, the bronze was wailing in Elphith's head, demanding that her rider send all of the Healers she had.

For a moment, Truenoth was worried she had heard, send a lot of Healers, so he made sure she understood – send all the Healers she had.

And Talith was shouting a similar message to K’ren; send help, send Healers, send EVERYONE. And that seemed a good idea for a moment, so much so that he turned up the ‘volume’ on that message, projecting it to other dragons.

((THE EGGS ARE BEING ATTACKED. YOU AND YOUR RIDERS SHOULD COME AND GUARD THEM. NOW.)) It didn’t carry the weight of a gold’s command, but Talith wasn’t usually a dragon to panic at the drop of a hat and there was enough alarm in that statement to garner attention.

That done, he dropped his head back onto his fore-legs, exhausted for a moment. His entire face felt like it was throbbing, and it was still so very dark.

Mya L. R.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 2:58 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

[...]

The day had been quiet so far.  Many of the Candidates weren't in the Weyr, several riders were out watching over them, so the Weyrbowl seemed a little emptier than normal.  Enough that Nevena had noticed the change and there was certainly nothing that could've distracted people from the sudden boom that rang out through the Weyr.  It felt loud, louder than it might've otherwise been.  The Guard was moving instantly, running in the direction that it'd come from.

Alyx

Vayka had been having a fairly normal shift in the Infirmary, at least until Boom! Then shouting in her head which was fairly garbled as she didn't Hear well. But the urgency for healers came through just fine, without another thought she grabbed one of the healers go bags and ran for the Hatching grounds. It looked as if she'd beaten most of the hubbub thankfully, though she wasn't eager to try and pass angry dragons, well, one did what one had to.

"Healer! I'm a healer, let me through please!"

Laurie

The explosion shook the Dragon Infirmary hard. Things fell off shelves, items went skittering across workspaces. Luckily no one was doing any major patching up of dragons at the moment.

Larsin jumped to his feet. Dragons. He could hear the cries outside, and Lacinda told him that something happened on the Hatching grounds. He grabbed up one of the larger med-bags they put together every day and went running out of the Infirmary, to the Hatching grounds, calling for any of his apprentices or journeymen he had.

The devastation was horrific. Foreth looked fine--though he thought she looked a little charred. The eggs mostly seemed fine, until Foreth stepped on one. He winced. She was going to be inconsolable.

The sires, though. The way they were looking around didn't look right.

"Talith. Truenoth," he barked, knowing they probably had a hard time hearing him with the explosion affecting their hearing. "Lacinda, talk to them."

The green wher had followed him into the Grounds. ~~'lith, 'noth, hurt? 'sin's here to help.~~ She looked over at Foreth. ~~'RETH, NO MOVE! EGG!~~ It was amazing what she could see through the dust, but with the Grounds being slightly darker, even if it were a rock and not an egg, it would spare Foreth pain of one type or another.

[...]

Steelsilver

First the bang, rousing Sunstreath from his light doze, and then the other dragons and Foreth were screaming and Sunstreath added his voice to the mix. ((Danger! The eggs and Foreth are being attacked! HELP!!)) the bronze bellowed, awake and aloft in an instant, flying for the Hatching Grounds, and I'des abruptly changed course, veering from his intended destination to instead go charging after his dragon. He had to get there! He had to help!

----

Kalin heard the cries, and Kalisk helpfully interpreted just enough for the guard and his wher to go sprinting in that direction, to help fend off attackers if needed, to help control the crowd that was surely gathering if not.

Aaron

The green wher had followed him into the Grounds. ~~'lith, 'noth, hurt? 'sin's here to help.~~ She looked over at Foreth. ~~'RETH, NO MOVE! EGG!~~ It was amazing what she could see through the dust, but with the Grounds being slightly darker, even if it were a rock and not an egg, it would spare Foreth pain of one type or another.

Truenoth growled in annoyance at the wher – another wher telling him what to do! – but he did his best to force himself to calm. He had to focus if he was going to save Foreth and the eggs.

He spoke to Larsin,

((There was a great flash. A loud bang. I cannot see. I fear Talith cannot, either. Foreth is beyond hearing any of us. You must keep the Weyrwoman with us. N'shen arrives.))

"Master Larsin!" N'shen shouted. He was out of breath, having sprinted all the way there. "You heard Truenoth? I... I was here just an hour ago, I didn't... I didn't think... If I had been here, I..."

((If you had been here, you would be hurt or dead,)) Truenoth snapped. ((Help the Dragonhealer now. The Weyrwoman's Guard shouted at Foreth not long ago. Either Foreth smashed him, or he works to pull her free.)) The bronze was still unaware that Kodah had already delivered her to a healer.

Aaron

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020, 14:42 Aaron C. <cobalt.knight@...> wrote:
[...]

Kouga

Opafergon gritted her teeth at the sound of an explosion, "Shard it all!" that sound was one she was far too familiar with any more and she didn't sharding like it! "Ravid lets go!" she yelled even as she grabbed up the gear she has been working on securing strapping it on while running now. Passing Petiner on their way out she nodded in approval of the boy making sure his wher was following as they left.

Ravid followed after his human with a screech as soon as they left the barracks and hit the weyrbowl. A bit ahead he spotted one of the others and quickly reached out to Nevena ((Ravid come! More Come!)) He told her knowing the other guards by site and always willing to reach out and advise them of what was happening when he spotted them. He could hear the other guard behind them, the boy and the little blue, and reached out to the little blue ((Lil blue be gud. Lil blue close!)) he advised the young wher wanting to make sure the young wher was a help rather than a hindrance.

Petiner wished that was not a sound that was so well known, wished he had had more time to train Little Wher before something big happened, wished lots of things, but well those things did not matter right now. He was running as fast as he could trying to keep up and doing rather well except when Little Wher started to fall behind and he had to slow some to make sure the blue could keep up. He would be glad when the wher was bigger and could keep up better. For now though he was just glad that the Little Bundle Of Hide seemed to be focused as the bronze wher of Opafergon. They had worked with her some to try and work on their bond and maybe that was why the blue was following them? He didn't know and right now Pet didn't care.

*Kouga*

"Remind me never to get out our bad side. It seems to be ... unhealthy." - Varric

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 3:09 PM Mya L. R. <mleesan@...> wrote:
[...]

((Have to get the eggs safe.)) There was panic edging Talith's voice. ((It's too dark to move them properly, we have to move them before I can-- )) He shifted, turning his head, seeking light but unable to find it. (('tal's coming.))

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 8:34 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

Vicky Orman

K'ren nearly staggered at the force of the shout in his head, but he'd lived at Arolos long enough to not waste time in an emergency.

As he was running for his healers kit, he was sending messages to the weyr and was deeply suspicious that if one explosion occurred, if someone was after hurting dragons, a second one when everyone flooded in to help would be even worse.

He sent a message with one of the apprentices to the Guards to get them to try and  keep anyone who was not Healers or involved in rescues back, and then issues his orders to get orderlies and triage Healers to the site of the accident while others prepared to receive casualties.
((Talith, are you safe? Is R'tal?)) K'ren asked as he started his own sprint towards the Grounds. ((I need to make sure Kassia is okay and Foreth))
The Weyrwoman needed to be saved, all would agree on that.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 7:58 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

[...]

Laura Walker

Talith was quiet a long ominous moment. ((My face hurts,)) he admitted finally. ((Everything is dark. But we need to protect the eggs and Foreth first. Foreth is-- she says Kassia is badly hurt.))

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 8:52 PM Vicky Orman <vickyorman@...> wrote:
[...]

Jenna Cunningham

"Oh, hi, Kalin!"

Up alongside the guard and his wher came the fourteen year old newbie, puffing noisily from the run to catch up. Giselle's voice had been chipper and warm; her expression, however, was badly contained concern and earnest curiosity.

"Is this it? Are we being attacked? What's going on, sir?"

Vicky Orman

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 8:55 PM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
Talith was quiet a long ominous moment. ((My face hurts,)) he admitted finally. ((Everything is dark. But we need to protect the eggs and Foreth first. Foreth is-- she says Kassia is badly hurt.))
((Reassure Foreth if you can,)) K'ren said swearing. ((I'll get a dragonhealer to you. Try not to move too much if you can't see))
R'tal was going to be beside himself. ((We're on our way...Foreth? Foreth can you hear me? We are coming to help yours. ))

[...]

The HAD's voice penetrated when little else did. She didn't stop bugling her head off but she sent a quick reply, ((Please, please save mine. MINE!))

Vicky Orman

The HAD's voice penetrated when little else did. She didn't stop bugling her head off but she sent a quick reply, ((Please, please save mine. MINE!))

Thank Faranth she had responded. KAith was ready to glide him where he needed to be. ((Foreth, we will. Where was she...it's important, I need to find her to help her.)) Had she been at the caverns herself or in a weyr?
_._,_._,_

sailyn2

Screaming and thinking were hard to do at the same time. ((Caverns...temporary weyr,)) she said. ((She keeps going dark on me.))

Vicky Orman

((I'm going there Foreth, tell her I am coming, Healers are coming)), K'ren said. ((The dragons are helping you protect your Eggs, the Eggs are safe.))
((Kaith love, to the temporary weyr by the caverns)) he asked his lifemate.
((You will find her.)) Kaith reassured.
((Might need others there)) he answered grimacing a the devastation.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 9:08 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Screaming and thinking were hard to do at the same time. ((Caverns...temporary weyr,)) she said. ((She keeps going dark on me.))

sailyn2

A moment later Foreth added, ((Someone...someone is with mine. They're outside the Caverns on the inside.))

Kouga

It had taken Kaji a bit longer to get there then he had liked, but
sadly Chateauperth was limited on his flight abilities due to his
injuries so the blue had been able to glide them part of the way over
but then they had had to walk. Still he was here now and he was going
to do all he could help. After spotting the gathering crowd though he
made should Chateauperth stayed a bit back reassuring the blue he
would call him if he needed him. "I'm a Dragonhealer!" he called out
as soon as he spotted the guards working on keeping people away to
hopefully prevent any delays "Where can I help!" he added his bag of
supplies on his shoulder even as he kept running.

*Kouga*

unhealthy." - Varric

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 3:43 PM Kouga <hanjikouga@...> wrote:
[...]

At Ravid's comment, Nevena inclined her head but didn't look back.  She knew with the other Guards following behind, especially with Whers, she'd not need to keep as much of an eye out for anything behind her.  Instead her attention stayed on their destination, which she was rapidly approaching, she quickly slowed as she came up to the outside of the Hatching Caverns.  With the damages to the Caverns and the dragons around that'd been protecting it, she wasn't about to plunge in to help without announcing herself.  "I'm Guard Nevena.  I'm here to help."