Topics

A way to be useful (Attn: CM Nayari)

Amy Frazey

(OOC - fuzzies to soon after the Frost Fayre)

(IC) Zy'fen needed a way to prove to the Weyr (and himself) that he could still be useful, despite not being able to fly Thread anymore as a wingrider.

To that end, after the debacle with ACM M'ayen being sacked and punished -and Zy had heard rumours that he wasn't the only ACM to be canned- Zy'fen decided to answer the call for new ACM applicants to fill the recent openings.

As a result, he came to be standing in front of Candidate Master Nayari's office door. He gave it a firm knock, then waited.

Nutmeg

Now that the M'ayen situation was more or less resolved in many ways, primarily the fact that he no longer had access to her Candidates, a sense of order had returned to Nayari's world. And her office had returned to its usual impeccable state. She was reviewing the sevenday reports she received from her staffing team when the knock came at the door.

"Enter!"

The abrupt command would be heard clearly but her stylus still flew across the parchment she was documenting her own notes on.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 6:27 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
(OOC - fuzzies to soon after the Frost Fayre)

(IC) Zy'fen needed a way to prove to the Weyr (and himself) that he could still be useful, despite not being able to fly Thread anymore as a wingrider.

To that end, after the debacle with ACM M'ayen being sacked and punished -and Zy had heard rumours that he wasn't the only ACM to be canned- Zy'fen decided to answer the call for new ACM applicants to fill the recent openings.

As a result, he came to be standing in front of Candidate Master Nayari's office door. He gave it a firm knock, then waited.

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Amy Frazey

The response to his knock was terse, but Zy'fen guessed that the Candidate Master was a busy woman. He opened the door and stepped inside, then gave her a respectful nod. "Good day, Candidate Master Nayari. I hear you need more assitants. I'd like to help."

Nutmeg

The pen didn't go down until she sensed someone was in the room. Anyone who didn't know Nayari by face by now usually knew her by reputation. She was austere and didn't take tomfoolery lightly. From the elaborate perch in the corner that looked as though it had once belonged to a sizable tree, Vecna inspected the newcomer, the gold firelizard wrapping her long tail about herself.

"Take a seat, Brownrider." Looking up, Nayari gestured for the man to grab one of the chairs in front of her desk. "Can I offer you anything to drink?"

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 2:44 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
The response to his knock was terse, but Zy'fen guessed that the Candidate Master was a busy woman. He opened the door and stepped inside, then gave her a respectful nod. "Good day, Candidate Master Nayari. I hear you need more assitants. I'd like to help."

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen was wearing his riding leathers, in preparation for a short flight after his interview with the CandidateMaster. They still looked spotless and dust free, with no wrinkles or worn spots. When Nayari offered a seat, he took it with a nod of gratitude. "Some cool water or fruit juice would be nice, thank you."

Zy'fen spared a quick glance at the gold flit in the corner, and gave her a slight nod as well. He'd had to push Zynin to stay with Nerenth. The young bronze was still needy and very demanding, and Zy hadn't wanted this meeting to be interrupted.

Nutmeg

OoC: Apologies for the slow reply, been juggling a few things in RL. Feel free to hit me up on Discord to set up 'what he'd be doing' so you can get rolling with him as an ACM whilst we're doing this one :)

IC: Nayari had slid out of her seat with an easy, fluid grace and had busied herself at a small sideboard at the side of the room. Unfortunately for Zy'fen, he was under Vecna's scrutiny the entire time. The gold firelizard wasn't exactly the friendliest as it was and she fixed the Brownrider with her very best 'I see all your secrets' stare. Over her shoulder, Nayari continued talking.

"So, what inspired you to come to my door and sign your life away to me?" There was a hint of a note to suggest that she was possibly teasing a little. But then again, maybe she wasn't. It wasn't as though Nayari was known for her extra-friendliness herself and few would know the woman outside of her 'professional face'.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 6:55 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen was wearing his riding leathers, in preparation for a short flight after his interview with the CandidateMaster. They still looked spotless and dust free, with no wrinkles or worn spots. When Nayari offered a seat, he took it with a nod of gratitude. "Some cool water or fruit juice would be nice, thank you."

Zy'fen spared a quick glance at the gold flit in the corner, and gave her a slight nod as well. He'd had to push Zynin to stay with Nerenth. The young bronze was still needy and very demanding, and Zy hadn't wanted this meeting to be interrupted.

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen didn't mind the scrutiny in the least. He was focused on Nayari. He stretched his wooden leg out in front of him as he gave her question some serious thought. "I don't consider it signing my life away, so much as finding a way to be useful, and proving that my life as a dragonrider is still worth something. And I honestly want to help."

Nutmeg

Returning with fresh juice, the mug was held out and Nayari returned her to her own seat. "So tell me, why the Candidates? Why not join the sweep drills or similar?" She had heard a similar spile before but what she wanted to establish was whether this was a serious decision or a moment of impulsiveness based on dealing with a life changing event. She had seen the stiff tell-tale gait of amputation but that was a question for further along.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 12:54 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen didn't mind the scrutiny in the least. He was focused on Nayari. He stretched his wooden leg out in front of him as he gave her question some serious thought. "I don't consider it signing my life away, so much as finding a way to be useful, and proving that my life as a dragonrider is still worth something. And I honestly want to help."

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen nodded his thanks as he took the mug of juice. He was giving the question some serious consideration, so it took him several moments to respond. He was entirely serious about the desire to help the younger generation, and said just that. "I honestly want to help any future dragonriders. The weyrlings already have some excellent teachers. And with all that has happened recently, I thought you might be looking for more assistants. People that you can trust."

Zy'fen paused for a sip of juice, "I'm never going to be fit for a regular wing again. But I'm not going to let what happened rule my life. Nerenth is worth more to me than that. He's really the one I owe my life to. If what I can teach the candidates makes their lives better, that's the best way I know of to pay it forward."

Nutmeg

Nayari listened as he spoke, giving the man ample opportunity without cutting in. "What is it about the Candidates that appeals to you versus the Weyrlings?" she asked, appreciative of the man's honesty about his situation and abilities. It was a tough thing for someone to deal with and for many, could be too much. Finding a new way of living was what made you able to keep going.

"You are right in noticing that we are... a little short handed, right now." It was a careful acknowledgement that the M'ayen situation and the removal of him and his more... devoted advocates had put a dent in their staff.

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
[...]

Zy'fen considered that. He hadn't enjoyed the pity he'd seen in the eyes of some of the weyrlings, when he appeared as a guest speaker. He shook his head. "I did consider it. I even gave the youngest weyrling class a special speech about how some fear can be helpful. Some of them disagreed."

Zy shook his head again. "I think helping the candidates would be a better fit for me right now, since whers aren't allowed near the weyrling dragons."