Topics

A Cozy Little Chat (attn: Eldvyr, Cremsden)

mglady3@...

It had been ridiculously easy to figure out where Cremsden had his rooms. The healer hall kept up-to-date records, in case any one of its healers need to be located quickly. And the journeyman in charge of records had put up very little resistances in the face of Eldvyr's steely glare. Eldvyr made a mental note to bring up the issue with the Weyrhealer - incompetence of any kind offended him.

But so it was that Eldvyr found himself strolling through a hallway in a residential section of the weyr. It didn't take him very long to locate his target. He came to a stop in front of the door and knock a brisk staccato.

Laura Walker

"Coming!" The call drifted through the door, though it was a minute or so before it opened. When it did, Cremsden was carrying his healer bag -- apparently grabbed on the way to the door -- and looked confused to see Eldvyr there. "Uh--" He'd been ready to race off to an emergency. His brain didn't have a ready response listed for this though.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 10:30 PM, <mglady3@...> wrote:
It had been ridiculously easy to figure out where Cremsden had his rooms. The healer hall kept up-to-date records, in case any one of its healers need to be located quickly. And the journeyman in charge of records had put up very little resistances in the face of Eldvyr's steely glare. Eldvyr made a mental note to bring up the issue with the Weyrhealer - incompetence of any kind offended him.

But so it was that Eldvyr found himself strolling through a hallway in a residential section of the weyr. It didn't take him very long to locate his target. He came to a stop in front of the door and knock a brisk staccato.

mglady3@...

"Good evening." Eldvyr replied in a hearty tone that suggest that it wasn't likely to remain so, at least not for the target of his good cheer. "I thought we might try something a little different this time." He explained, stepping through the doorway without waiting for Cremsden to give him permission. He didn't go very far - just far enough to make it difficult for Cremsden to expel him - before pausing to give a thoughtful once over to the contents of the weyr.

Laura Walker

It was tidy -- the sort of obsessive tidy that came from sharing your home with a number of firelizards. Cremsden had learned fast that anything he liked would only survive if it wasn't accessible and had invested in a number of wooden boxes, the type that locked.

There was a glass of red wine on the table though, and cards laid out there in two piles. And a one-winged blue firelizard just stepping close enough to carefully swipe the top card from one pile.

Well, it got Cremsden away from the door at least, and almost sprinting back to the table. "Oh no no no, don't you fecking *dare*.."

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 10:57 PM, <mglady3@...> wrote:
[...]

~~~~~

For a moment, Eldvyr thought that the comment had been addressed towards him, and a scathing retort rose up to his lips. But just in time, he caught sight of the true target of Cremsden's ire and snapped his mouth shut.

He ventured a few steps farther into the weyr - enough to allow him an uninterrupted view of the enfolding drama on the table. Crossing his arms, he leaned back against a nearby wall and got ready to observe.

[...]

"Food, fine, the bed, *fine*, but those cost too much sharding money for you to feck around with.." Cremsden snarled at the blue firelizard, and Bitey opened his mouth just enough to shriek back in much the same annoyed tone.

Which was apparently what Cremsden had been waiting for as he hastily took advantage of that moment to snatch the card back while the blue didn't have tight hold of it. It got him a sharp bite for his troubles but he could live with that, swapping the card to his uninjured hand to prevent the risk of getting blood on it and quickly covering the others before Bitey could get near them. The blue firelizard threw what could best be described as a screaming tantrum while Cremsden sucked his injured finger, grimacing.

"If he had two good wings, I'd have no chance," he admitted, eyes still on the firelizard rather than Eldvyr. "Sorry, what was it you wanted?" Apparently Bitey was enough distraction for him to forget his usual wariness.

mglady3@...

[...]

"How did he lose the wing?" Eldvyr asked, evading the question for the moment, but with not entirely feigned curiosity. He was no dragonhealer, but it didn't looked to be a thread-induced injury. And as far as he knew, there weren't very many predators fast enough to catch a firelizard.

Laura Walker

"How did he lose the wing?" Eldvyr asked, evading the question for the moment, but with not entirely feigned curiosity. He was no dragonhealer, but it didn't looked to be a thread-induced injury. And as far as he knew, there weren't very many predators fast enough to catch a firelizard.
_._,_._,_

"Found him after a bad Fall. Whole thing was so damaged it just came off. He came up and fighting though, so I didn't have the heart to finish it and he'd have died out in the wild." Cremsden eyed the angry firelizard, still nursing his injured hand. "Which is where fecking card-stealing firelizards should go," he added pointedly, raising his voice a little.

mglady3@...

"Found him after a bad Fall. Whole thing was so damaged it just came off. He came up and fighting though, so I didn't have the heart to finish it and he'd have died out in the wild." Cremsden eyed the angry firelizard, still nursing his injured hand. "Which is where fecking card-stealing firelizards should go," he added pointedly, raising his voice a little.

Eldvyr eyed Cremsden thoughtfully. "I take it that this is not the first time he's bitten you?" He asked mildly. He supposed that it'd never occurred to the other man that he could have found someone to help him with that issue. It would be consistent with what Eldvyr knew of Cremsden's psychological profile. Not that Eldvyr himself knew who that someone would be, having no and never had any inclination to take on the responsibilities of pet ownership himself. But this was a dragon weyr and the little blue firelizard was a draconic. It was not an illogical assumption.

[...]

Cremsden shook his head. "That's what you get for sharing your weyr with a wild one," he admitted a little grudgingly, not feeling truly in the mood to offer Bitey excuses at that moment. "Better than he was though. It's worse when it's ears."

mglady3@...

,_._,
Cremsden shook his head. "That's what you get for sharing your weyr with a wild one," he admitted a little grudgingly, not feeling truly in the mood to offer Bitey excuses at that moment. "Better than he was though. It's worse when it's ears."

Eldvyr winced in not entirely feigned sympathy. He'd had a patient with biting tendencies once. It hadn't been one of the finer moments of his long career. Though to this day, Eldvyr still could decide what had been worse, the patient himself or his shrill voiced sister.

"I've been told that dragon can communicate with firelizards." He observed neutrally. "Even the wild ones."

Laura Walker

"Oh, they can," Cremsden agreed. "And from what I understand he swears at them sharding well when he's in the mood to." He clicked his tongue at the annoyed little blue and offered him his uninjured hand. Still muttering to himself Bitey grumbled his way towards it and scrambled heavily up Cremsden's arm.

"When he started it was all fear and fury," Cremsden explained. "Wasn't it, lad? And we sorted that with time, and a bit of help from one of the Impressed gold firelizards, and that part's resolved well enough. Now it's just when he gets pissed off - and there isn't any amount of explaining and communication that fixes pissed off." And apparently even when bitten, Cremsden was inclined to cool down about it fast enough that there was no reason for him to stop.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 3:40 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:

,_._,
Cremsden shook his head. "That's what you get for sharing your weyr with a wild one," he admitted a little grudgingly, not feeling truly in the mood to offer Bitey excuses at that moment. "Better than he was though. It's worse when it's ears."

Eldvyr winced in not entirely feigned sympathy. He'd had a patient with biting tendencies once. It hadn't been one of the finer moments of his long career. Though to this day, Eldvyr still could decide what had been worse, the patient himself or his shrill voiced sister.

"I've been told that dragon can communicate with firelizards." He observed neutrally. "Even the wild ones."

mglady3@...

Eldvyr eyed tiny blue hellion warily. "If he knows not to bite normally, then he also understands that it is not acceptable behavior. Ergo he really is just biting you to be ornery." He observed acerbically. He'd never really understood the appeal of pet ownership himself. Why lavish time and effort on a creature with which one could not even have an intelligent conversation? Still, he acknowledged that other people did form emotional attachments to their pets, and sometimes that can be very useful.

"Is this...what did you call him again? Is this the first time you've had a pet?" He asked.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:42 AM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
"Oh, they can," Cremsden agreed. "And from what I understand he swears at them sharding well when he's in the mood to." He clicked his tongue at the annoyed little blue and offered him his uninjured hand. Still muttering to himself Bitey grumbled his way towards it and scrambled heavily up Cremsden's arm.

"When he started it was all fear and fury," Cremsden explained. "Wasn't it, lad? And we sorted that with time, and a bit of help from one of the Impressed gold firelizards, and that part's resolved well enough. Now it's just when he gets pissed off - and there isn't any amount of explaining and communication that fixes pissed off." And apparently even when bitten, Cremsden was inclined to cool down about it fast enough that there was no reason for him to stop.

Laura Walker

"Bitey. Master Kregg named him." And it had stuck. The blue firelizard climbed up to Cremsden's shoulder and then turned, still chattering, to eye Eldvyr as though weighing him up. "And sharding right he's being ornery. Well. Not like he can have a good shout and a swear is it?" And Cremsden was apparently in a world where an outlet for that kind of outlet was needed enough to allow his firelizard some leeway with it. "And he doesn't bite hard enough that stitches are needed any more, just making sure I know he's good and pissed off. Though cleaning out in case of infection is a sharding pain."