A Mother Always Knows (Attn: Zy'fen/Karla)

Laurie

Karla was over by the newest Weyrlings helping them with the firestone toss. She and Eglanth would hover not too far above the ground and a Weyrling would toss them a sack. Because Eglanth was a green, she caught mostly green sacks, but she'd also volunteered to catch blue sacks too.

She'd just caught one, and threw it back to the weyrling when Zari came flitting around her head, making a pest out of herself.

"What's wrong?" she asked the gold. Zari projected an image of an egg in a pot. {{Her eggs are Hatching, and you'd asked her to watch the one you gave Nerenth's.}}

[[Well, please let the others know their eggs are Hatching, if you can, and let Nerenth know we're on our way.]]

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen was on his way back to his weyr when Nerenth contacted him, {{The little egg is Hatching, Eglanth says. You'd better hurry. Eglanth's rider will meet you there.}}

Zy was surprised, but Karla had said it would hatch within 3 days. He wasn't able to run, but picked up his pace as much as he was able. ((Could you bring some meat, Nerry, please? I don't have time to go back for it, not if the egg is Hatching now. And thank Eglanth for me.)) Zy'fen reached his weyr, {{Of course. I'll be there in a wingbeat.}}

Nerenth reached out to Eglanth, {{Mine says thank you for letting us know.}}

Laurie

Karla gave her apologies to the Weyrlingmasters, and Eglanth took her to Zy'fen's weyr. Good thing she was already on a dragon; she didn't have to go running halfway across the bowl. As Eglanth deposited her, she snapped her fingers. "Food. Shards, I forgot food...oh, I have some travel rations here." She pulled a bag of mixed dried meat, dried berries and nuts from Eglanth's saddlebag. "And oil. He may not have oil."

She hesitated, since she was on Nerenth's ledge. It was more convenient for her to have been let off there. If this had been any of her classmates, she wouldn't have hesitated to walk right in. But she didn't know Zy'fen very well.

Eglanth sighed. {{Nerenth, my rider is on your ledge. Can she go in?}}

Karla heard every nuance of Eglanth's exasperation with her. [[Oh, stop,]] she said. [[I hardly know him.]]

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 8:39 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen was on his way back to his weyr when Nerenth contacted him, {{The little egg is Hatching, Eglanth says. You'd better hurry. Eglanth's rider will meet you there.}}

Zy was surprised, but Karla had said it would hatch within 3 days. He wasn't able to run, but picked up his pace as much as he was able. ((Could you bring some meat, Nerry, please? I don't have time to go back for it, not if the egg is Hatching now. And thank Eglanth for me.)) Zy'fen reached his weyr, {{Of course. I'll be there in a wingbeat.}}

Nerenth reached out to Eglanth, {{Mine says thank you for letting us know.}}

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen had arrived at his weyr only a few moments before Nerenth announced Karla and Eglanth. He quickly grabbed the egg pot and went out to stand by them just as Nerenth arrived, bearing a chunk of herdbeast in his jaws.

Zy'fen was grinning as he gave Karla a nod of greeting, while taking the crazed egg out of the warm pot. He held the cracking egg in both hands, watching intently, wondering what color it would be.

Laurie

Zari started to hum, and Ranger soon arrived and joined her. A few minutes later Flash, her brother's bronze showed up as did Margana's Celestia. By now, Karla was wondering how she ended up with a full fair of firelizards. If Cremsden's other two joined, she'd probably start laughing hysterically. It was bad enough she was nervous; to have all these firelizards there made her look like a--

{{You look like a dragonrider who cares for people's firelizards.}}

Fine. Better than being a freak.

"This is exciting," she said. "This is Zari's first clutch. She's excited too."

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 8:28 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen had arrived at his weyr only a few moments before Nerenth announced Karla and Eglanth. He quickly grabbed the egg pot and went out to stand by them just as Nerenth arrived, bearing a chunk of herdbeast in his jaws.

Zy'fen was grinning as he gave Karla a nod of greeting, while taking the crazed egg out of the warm pot. He held the cracking egg in both hands, watching intently, wondering what color it would be.

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen glanced at Karla, then at the humming gold flit queen. "Let's go inside so we can sit down." He paused and waited for Karla to either go ahead of him, or say no. "I forgot to ask before, what color do you think it it?" Then he turned to Nerenth, ((Nerry, could you bring the meat I side, then go back and keep Eglanth company? There's not room for both of you inside.)) And out loud, "I dont think there's enough room for both dragons, but Nerenth can keep your Eglanth company."

Laurie

Karla nodded and preceded him into the weyr. "Eglanth would like that," she said. Then thought about his first question.

"By the size of it, it should be a brown or bronze. Probably a brown, since bronzes are rarer." She wanted to continue on that it could be a large blue or green, but didn't want to babble a lot.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 10:44 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen glanced at Karla, then at the humming gold flit queen. "Let's go inside so we can sit down." He paused and waited for Karla to either go ahead of him, or say no. "I forgot to ask before, what color do you think it it?" Then he turned to Nerenth, ((Nerry, could you bring the meat I side, then go back and keep Eglanth company? There's not room for both of you inside.)) And out loud, "I dont think there's enough room for both dragons, but Nerenth can keep your Eglanth company."

Amy Frazey

Zy'fen flashed Karla a brief smile, but his eyes were on the egg in his hands, which was now showing some cracks in the shell. "Brown would be good. I like browns." It was a rather obvious statement, but he was distracted.

Nerenth carted the chunk of meat into the weyr behind His, and shredded several paws full of smaller pieces from it, then turned and went back out, so Eglanth wouldn't be alone. And he didn't mind that in the least.

Laurie

Karla, too, couldn't take her eyes off the egg. What if she was wrong?

{{Then you're wrong. You don't know everything, dear,}} Eglanth said. {{Stop worrying about it. I have a fine specimen of a dragon to keep company.}} She coquettishly batted her eyes at Nerenth.

Well, true, it wasn't as if she were an expert, though the fair of flits she seemed to have brought with her belied that. Zari was watching the egg intently and Karla just knew it would Hatch any second.

Now she was worried about Impression. She'd heard of people giving out firelizard eggs but the flits Impressing someone other than the one they were theoretically supposed to. Maybe she should leave? No, that would be rude. So, she watched, but hoped she was out of the line of sight of the Hatchling.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 9:29 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen flashed Karla a brief smile, but his eyes were on the egg in his hands, which was now showing some cracks in the shell. "Brown would be good. I like browns." It was a rather obvious statement, but he was distracted.

Nerenth carted the chunk of meat into the weyr behind His, and shredded several paws full of smaller pieces from it, then turned and went back out, so Eglanth wouldn't be alone. And he didn't mind that in the least.

Amy Frazey

All eyes were on the crazed egg that Zy'fen held, it would seem. More cracks were appearing in the shell, and soon enough, a good sized chunk fell away, revealing a snout covered with egg-goo. It was hard to tell what color it was, except it clearly wasn't blue or green. More of the shell fell away, and Zy put the egg on his lap, reaching over to grab a big handful of the shredded meat. The gooey snout poked out, and one eye could be seen under the large piece of egg shell covering the hatchling's head.

The visible eye whirled a brilliant red, and the still partly egg-bound flit began to creel ravenously. Patches of a warm color that matched the eggshell, and definitely wasn't brown, could be seen on a wingtip and the end of the tail that had poked it's way through the shell.

Zy'fen shoved meet scraps at the snapping snout, then spared a glance for Karla. The glint in his eyes matched the grin on his face, "A bronze!" then he had to grab more meat and feed the bottomless pit.

Laurie

As soon as the snout poked out, Zari creeled in satisfaction. Ranger and Flash each head-butted her, and Celestia winged around the weyr in victory. Zari chirruped loudly and Celestia landed close to her, still chittering madly.

{{The little ones all say it's a bronze,}} Eglanth said right before Zy'fen caught her eyes and said the same thing.

"Oh, that's fantastic!" Karla said, not giving any indication that the firelizards and dragon had already told her that. This was his day, and the hatching was his discovery.

"So what are you going to name him?"

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 10:25 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
[...]

Zy'fen's grin was huge, and he gave Karla a wink, even as his hands busily shoved more meat scraps at the ravenous hatchling. ((Think you can deal with a bronzeling, Nerry?))

Outside, Nerenth gave a happy, low pitched bugle, then nuzzled Eglanth happily. {{As long as he doesn't get too bossy. I welcome the little one. He makes you happy.}}

Zy'fen hadn't thought much about a name, so he half shrugged, then answered with the first one that came to mind, "Zynin."

Laurie

"I like it," Karla said. "It's strong." Zari chirped her agreement.

{{He'll be bossy around other firelizards, but you're bigger than he is. Even Zari watches herself around me,}} Eglanth said, conveniently forgetting all the times she did Zari's bidding. {{He's a nice looking bronze. Well, he will be after Yours gets all the egg goo off of him.}}

Karla was half listening to her green. "Do you have any water here? It's easier to clean him up before the goo dries on him."

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 11:02 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Zy'fen's grin was huge, and he gave Karla a wink, even as his hands busily shoved more meat scraps at the ravenous hatchling. ((Think you can deal with a bronzeling, Nerry?))

Outside, Nerenth gave a happy, low pitched bugle, then nuzzled Eglanth happily. {{As long as he doesn't get too bossy. I welcome the little one. He makes you happy.}}

Zy'fen hadn't thought much about a name, so he half shrugged, then answered with the first one that came to mind, "Zynin."

Amy Frazey

The bronzeling creeped and burst out of the remaining eggshell, then scooted himself across the table to get closer to the hand that was feeding him. Once there, he snapped at Zy'fen's fingers when he failed to get fed fast enough.

Zy'fen chuckled to himself over Nerenth's 'bossy' comment, then nodded at a nearby table able that held a bowl and pitcher as he stuffed more meat in the hatchling's gaping maw. "There should be some water in there."

And outside, Nerenth preened a bit, showing off for Eglanth. {{I am bigger. Do you think I'm a nice looking brown?}}

Laurie

Karla found a towel, and wet it with the water from the pitcher, handing it to Zy'fen. She knew better than to try and touch the little bronzeling herself. "When he gives you a chance," she said, grinning.

{{You're very handsome,}} Eglanth said, looking him over. {{I'd let you fly me any day.}} She would probably be rising soon, so was already scoping out possible partners.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 7:58 PM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
The bronzeling creeped and burst out of the remaining eggshell, then scooted himself across the table to get closer to the hand that was feeding him. Once there, he snapped at Zy'fen's fingers when he failed to get fed fast enough.

Zy'fen chuckled to himself over Nerenth's 'bossy' comment, then nodded at a nearby table able that held a bowl and pitcher as he stuffed more meat in the hatchling's gaping maw. "There should be some water in there."

And outside, Nerenth preened a bit, showing off for Eglanth. {{I am bigger. Do you think I'm a nice looking brown?}}

Amy Frazey

Again, Nerenth preened. Zy'fen caught the pleased feeling from his brown, and gave Karla a grin as he took the damp cloth from her, but quickly  turned his attention back to the little hatchling. His belly was rounding put, and the cries for food were growing fewer and farther between.

Zy'fen gently scooped up the bronze flit, who was sleepy now, and held him against his cheat, using the cloth to clean off the worst of the egg goo, and tiny bits of shell. He decided to save the biggest piece, and put it aside.  "Zynin sounds a little silly, but it's what popped into my head first."

Laurie

"Dragons are so much easier. They come with their own names," Karla grinned, pleased at how happy he sounded with his little flit. Ranger, Celestia and Flash had all left but Zari was still gently humming--not a  hatching hum, but the hum of a mother's pleasure at the right choice for her baby.

"Does Zynin have a special significance?" She hadn't missed the fact that the name was similar to his own. Everyone had a meaning attached to their pets' names--Zari was named after her mother's gold Zarith.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 11:16 AM Amy Frazey <amyfrazey9@...> wrote:
Again, Nerenth preened. Zy'fen caught the pleased feeling from his brown, and gave Karla a grin as he took the damp cloth from her, but quickly  turned his attention back to the little hatchling. His belly was rounding put, and the cries for food were growing fewer and farther between.

Zy'fen gently scooped up the bronze flit, who was sleepy now, and held him against his cheat, using the cloth to clean off the worst of the egg goo, and tiny bits of shell. He decided to save the biggest piece, and put it aside.  "Zynin sounds a little silly, but it's what popped into my head first."

Amy Frazey

Zy chuckled, "Heh, yeah." He shrugged and shook his head, then thought about it. "Not really, I guess. Except the Zy on the front. The blue I lost was named Scrig. He was a bit of a ninny. I'm not really good at coming up with names. Not sure what I would have done if I'd had to name Nerenth."

Zy'fen cleaned off the hatchling's head and neck first, careful with the small muzzle, then starting on the wings, carefully stretching one out.

Laurie

"Oh, he's nicely built," Karla said. "So tiny, but so perfect. I'm glad you decided you wanted his egg."  She wasn't sure what to do with herself now. Little Zynin would sleep for a few hours, then wake ravenous again. For a firelizard, the first couple days were the most important. But if he'd had a previous flit, he already knew that.