Topics

Crushing Pain atten: any one in Caverns/Foreth

sailyn2

After what seemed like forever Foreth finally stopped keening. The sound decreased slowly until it came to just whimpers that only those in the Caverns could hear. Finally Foreth turned to get a better look and almost started keening again. Her movement gave room for those also in the Caverns to see the unfortunate carnage. Multiple baby Hatchlings and their eggs had been ground under her huge back paws. The results would be nightmare inducing.

She whimpered as she put her muzzle close as if to nuzzle the remnants of what had one been nearly ready-to-Hatch young dragons.

Kevin M

Shalia had regained her composure and, even though she was determined to stick around, was feeling rather useless.  Neither Weyrleader had asked for anything or, truth to tell, even seemed to have noticed her presence.

But then Foreth moved, revealing the devastation, and the Candidate's eyes widened once again and her face went pale.  She stared at the remnants for several moments and then looked at the grieving gold.  Shalia glanced at the others in the Cavern, and then made her decision.  No matter how angry she was at the gold, her heart still broke at this sight. And since Kassia couldn't be here...

Making sure to stay well off the Sands proper, and not even looking at the other eggs, she moved closer to the gold.  "Foreth?" she called quietly, the tears welling in her eyes coming out in her voice.  "I'm so, so sorry, Foreth."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

sailyn2

Foreth swung her head back around to look at Shalia. She stretched out her neck and lowered her head so that Shalia could reach her without stepping onto the Sands. ((My eggs...)) was all she said, a world of pain in those two words.

Kevin M

Shalia's arms wrapped around the gold as best they could.  "I'm so sorry" she repeated.  She had no idea what else to say. "Are you okay?  Physically, I mean?  Were you hurt?"

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 21:55 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Foreth swung her head back around to look at Shalia. She stretched out her neck and lowered her head so that Shalia could reach her without stepping onto the Sands. ((My eggs...)) was all she said, a world of pain in those two words.

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

sailyn2

((Some burns,)) Foreth said, ((but not as bad as Talith and Truenoth. I was facing away.)) The whines slowly died. Shalia was seeing a side of her that even her rider rarely saw.

Laura Walker

R'tal's breath hissed out quietly. "Don't look, love," he said hastily, firmly, slamming a barrier like a shut door between his mind and Talith's as he felt the brown trying to see what he was reacting to. Certainly his dragon would see it in his mind and his memories but still he pushed back against that. Only only one of them needed to be seeing this just now.

Helplessly he paced onto the Sands, unable to just ignore them but unsure what to do. "Should we cover them?" he asked after a moment. It felt disrespectful somehow just to leave them. He glanced at Larsin. "Could one of your apprentices fetch blankets?"

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:34 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
After what seemed like forever Foreth finally stopped keening. The sound decreased slowly until it came to just whimpers that only those in the Caverns could hear. Finally Foreth turned to get a better look and almost started keening again. Her movement gave room for those also in the Caverns to see the unfortunate carnage. Multiple baby Hatchlings and their eggs had been ground under her huge back paws. The results would be nightmare inducing.

She whimpered as she put her muzzle close as if to nuzzle the remnants of what had one been nearly ready-to-Hatch young dragons.

Kevin M

Shalia continued to hug Foreth, keeping her face pressed against the golden hide, as much to avoid another look at the mangled remains as to comfort the dragon.  "I'm glad you're not hurt any worse than that.  I overheard a Healer, Aunt Kassia is going to be okay, and so will -- Er, so will Talith and Truenoth," she hastily amended, not wanting to remind the grieving dam about her eggs by mentioning her lifemate's baby.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020, 09:44 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
((Some burns,)) Foreth said, ((but not as bad as Talith and Truenoth. I was facing away.)) The whines slowly died. Shalia was seeing a side of her that even her rider rarely saw.

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Laurie

Larsin had glimpsed the devastation, heart plummeting. If there was any chance that any of the trampled dragonets were alive, the keening echoing through the Hatching Caverns, out to the Weyr, put to rest that hope.

At R'tal's words he turned his attention to one of the apprentices who was patching up the minor cuts on the dragons' bodies. "You," he barked, "Go get blankets."  The apprentice gulped and hurried out of the cavern.

By the time Larsin was done bandaging Talith's eyes, the apprentice was back with an armload of sheets and blankets--anything they could find quickly. Larsin nodded. "Finish up the bronzes, I need to go attend Foreth." Not for the first time that day he wished Mendl were here, instead of off gallivanting on an island with other candidates. When she got back, he planned to speak with her about her Candidacy. Maybe she could consider this her last time Standing.

He took the towels and a couple bladders of numbweed/redwort mixture and stood in front of Foreth. "I need to make sure you're not too burnt, my Lady," he said with more respect than he'd ever shown Kassia. "But I would also like your permission to cover your babies with these blankets, so they can rest peacefully rather than be gossip fodder." His brown flit Sambert had stayed well away from Foreth, but there were a few firelizards popping into the Caverns. He squawked angrily, and made it his day's work to keep them away.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:06 PM Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
[...]

"You didn't see this." Larsin, R'tal trusted. Shalia, R'tal trusted. The apprentice, less so. He paced back towards Talith, stopping in front of the boy. "Do you understand? You didn't see this. The eggs were damaged, like the eggs last Hatching. The dragons took them between. It was.. very very tragic but -- no-one ever hears of this, you understand?"

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 12:10 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
[...]

Aaron

"You didn't see this." Larsin, R'tal trusted. Shalia, R'tal trusted. The apprentice, less so. He paced back towards Talith, stopping in front of the boy. "Do you understand? You didn't see this. The eggs were damaged, like the eggs last Hatching. The dragons took them between. It was.. very very tragic but -- no-one ever hears of this, you understand?"

N'shen moved to add his stare to R'tal's words, along with a solemn nod of assent once he was sure he had caught the boy's eyes. Nobody could hear about this. Faranth, how was he going to sleep? Nobody else should have to live with that. They would have to do something to help the apprentice cope, too, he was sure...

sailyn2

Foreth fell silent and just took the comfort. There was nothing she could do about the smashed eggs, but at least Hers would be okay. They might fight, but Kassia was her lifemate and she loved her fiercely. She just loved getting her way fiercely as well.

sailyn2

Foreth was feeling more accommodating than usual and she certainly didn't want to keep seeing the results of...of...what she'd done. A keen threatened in her throat again, but she held it back.

((You may do what you need,)) she told him. ((I will take my Hatchlings ~between~ when you are done. Hurry.))