Topics

First Chance to See the Shiny atten: Andreya/Trifali/Shalia/Kashara/Rassia

sailyn2

About a sevenday after the eggs were laid Kassia sent out word for her daughters and nieces to all come and meet her outside the Caverns at the same time. As soon as they were all there she said, "Good morning, guys. Foreth has agreed to let you guys into the Stands to see the gold eggs. This is your last chance to declare you don't want to Stand as any contact with the egg can increase your chances of Impressing. So if you don't want to Stand, this is your time to go. Otherwise, you five can go in quietly and sit in the Stands and see the gold eggs."

Jessica Freise

Trifali's heart leapt. Beating harder, faster, until she tasted her pulse on her tongue. It wasn't fear, but shear excitement that captivated her in that moment.

Quietly, she took her place in the stands near her sister. Her gaze raked the sands, looking at everything. There was a chance she might succeed, might Impress. Kassia's words came back to her and before she let herself look at the twin golds, she looked over the other eggs first, picking silently.

Then she looked. Faranth, was that one a joke? It didn't *not* look like a golden egg, the sheen was definitely there. But as she gazed, it was the other one that trapped her attention and made her gasp softly.

The golden egged looked like some elaborate cage, as if what waited inside must be contained. But if she looked hard enough, there was a keyhole of sorts amidst the bars. Her hands, damp with nerves, rose so that she framed her face as she gazed at the caged egg and wondered what it might be like to touch it, to turn the key in her heart and open to the being inside.

On Jul 31, 2020, at 5:08 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

About a sevenday after the eggs were laid Kassia sent out word for her daughters and nieces to all come and meet her outside the Caverns at the same time. As soon as they were all there she said, "Good morning, guys. Foreth has agreed to let you guys into the Stands to see the gold eggs. This is your last chance to declare you don't want to Stand as any contact with the egg can increase your chances of Impressing. So if you don't want to Stand, this is your time to go. Otherwise, you five can go in quietly and sit in the Stands and see the gold eggs."

Jessica Freise

OOC: Edited because I accidentally God-modded for a moment.
 My sincerest apologies.

Trifali's heart leapt. Beating harder, faster, until she tasted her pulse on her tongue. It wasn't fear, but shear excitement that captivated her in that moment.

Quietly, she took her place in the stands. Her gaze raked the sands, looking at everything. There was a chance she might succeed, might Impress. Kassia's words came back to her and before she let herself look at the twin golds, she looked over the other eggs first, picking silently.

[...]

Kevin M

Shalia looked around at her sisters and cousins.  She had a sneaking suspicion why the five of them had been summoned there, and Kassia soon proved her correct.

"I want to Stand," she said, although she wasn't willing to admit just how much she wanted one of Foreth's eggs, even with how upset she still was, "and I want to see the eggs, but I don't want to Impress one of the golds."  She'd let her aunt decide if she should go in and look with thst caveat.  Even if she did go in, she wouldn't get any nearer to the golds than she had to, even in the Stands!

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

sailyn2

Kassia regarded her a long time. "If you don't want to Impress gold, then you'll have to wait until the rest of the Candidates get to see the eggs."

Kevin M

Shalia looked more than a little disappointed, but she simply nodded her acceptance and then turned towards the younger Candidates.  "Have fun then, girls!  But I expect descriptions, so look at the others for me, please?"

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020, 18:32 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kassia regarded her a long time. "If you don't want to Impress gold, then you'll have to wait until the rest of the Candidates get to see the eggs."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

Rosiegirl

In the day or two that it had been since she’d talked with Kassia about the gold lecture and the Weyrwoman had mentioned Andreya, and the rest of the girls related to Kassia, were going to be able to see the gold eggs before any of the other gold-hopefuls, Andreya had been thinking about that a lot. But it wasn’t what anyone would have expected a girl who was so excited about the pair of golden eggs on the Sands to be thinking about, not at all.

Instead, the Harper-candidate was a bit stuck on the unfairness of the offer, not toward *her* but toward the rest of the gold-hopefuls. She’d been totally truthful when she'd told Kassia she was honored that Foreth was willing to let her and the rest of Kassia’s daughters see the eggs early, that hadn’t been a lie. But then she’d thought about the gold lecture and the mention of ‘influencing the Impression’ by seeing the eggs, and she’d not been able to get that out of her head.

So, she’d made herself think beyond the absolutely amazing opportunity of being able to see the gold eggs first and considered the other possible consequences of the early egg-viewing being offered to her, Trifali, and Kassia’s daughters. Whether she accepted the upcoming invitation from Kassia and Foreth to view the eggs early *or* declined it, she realized that she’d be staked out for Thread either way!

If she accepted the offer to see the eggs early, like she *very* much wanted to, she’d anger the other female candidates who were gold-hopefuls and who had been candidates for so much longer than her. In the process she could also end up burning some of the bridges and connections she’d made with those girls, which could come back to haunt her *if* one of the girls who was most upset with her impressed either of the twin golds. On the other hand, if she declined, as respectfully as possible, then she was nearly positive that Kassia would be disappointed or upset and *absolutely* sure that Foreth would be angry with her. And on top of that, she knew that if she declined that she’d be unable to return to assisting Kassia, even in the little bit of free time candidates had normally between a Clutching and the Hatching, until she *had* gotten to see the eggs with the rest of the girls. She only hoped that the Weyrwoman and her Gold were not *so* upset with her as to ban her from Standing for the clutch altogether or refusing to let her continue to be Kassia’s assistant, although she didn’t think that was likely to happen.

This decision was...something that could be the beginning of the politics of being a goldrider, if she was worthy enough to be a lifemate to one of the twin golds on the Sands. Deciding between these two choices when both options would end up with people unhappy or upset with her, not to mention any potential far reaching consequences of choosing one way or another, was a problem that weighed heavy on her mind...And, if that was the only consideration then Andreya would have been stuck considering pros and cons of either option for days up until Kassia requested them all to meet outside the Hatching Caverns, but there was more for Andreya to consider.

Honestly, what bothered Andreya more than the possibility of burning bridges and connections with the other gold-hopeful candidates, as regrettable politically as *that* would be, was the idea of ‘influencing the Impression’ by being allowed to see the gold eggs before any of the other gold-hopefuls. It wasn’t just the huge amount of favoritism and special treatment that Foreth and Kassia were directing to those girls who were related to the Weyrwoman, but it was the idea that *because* of that special treatment she was being given, that this opportunity could ‘influence’ either of the twin gold’s Impression.

As she contemplated that thought, she realized that if she *did* accept Foreth’s offer to see the eggs before the other gold-hopefuls and if she did actually Impress to one of the golds that she would always wonder if she had Impressed the gold because of this opportunity to ‘influence’ who the gold Impressed to. She’d always wonder if she had Impressed the gold because of the special treatment given her because of who she was related to instead of being actually worthy of Impressing the gold because of who *she* was, herself. She’d always wonder...if any potential opportunity to see the eggs early and ‘influence’ the golds had made it so that she had *stolen* the gold hatchling from the girl who might have been meant to Impress and be a goldrider.

With that hanging over her head, Andreya then considered what had been said during the gold lecture and the questions that had been asked. There had been a lot of discussion about the challenges and difficulties that goldriders face instead of the positive aspects of impressing gold, which made sense as that lecture was to make sure that those who went on the Sands were absolutely positive they wanted to be there with the chance they could impress gold. But, considering all the difficulties that come with being the lifemate to a golden hide, if Andreya did happen to impress gold after possibly ‘influencing’ the gold with an early egg-viewing she didn’t want there to even be a *hint* of a thought that she might have ‘stolen’ the gold from another girl, even in the depths of her own mind. She wanted to be absolutely, unequivocally, for sure and certain that she’d Impressed a gold because *she* was worthy of being that gold’s lifemate.

Ultimately, if she saw the eggs early and then Impressed one of the golds, she’d always have that doubt that she was actually worthy herself, and having that doubt could keep her from being the best lifemate possible to that gold. So, she realized that in order to actually make sure she *was* the best and most worthy lifemate for either of those golds on the sands, to prove it not just to Foreth, to Kassia, to the twin golds in their eggs, to everyone, and even to *herself*, that she needed to decline this opportunity granted to her just because of who she was related to and wait to see the eggs with the rest of the gold candidates.

~*~*~*~*~*

And so, with the decision made, when Kassia sent out word for Andreya to meet her outside the Caverns with Trifali and Kassia’s daughters, Andreya was ready. She met the Weyrwoman and the rest of her relatives outside the Cavern and listened to Kassia. She smiled a little as her half-sister declared that she wanted to Stand for the gold egg and headed inside the Cavern. She waited after Shalia spoke, waiting for Kassia’s response to Shalia saying she didn’t want to Impress a Gold, and when the conversation between mother and daughter was finished Andreya gave Shalia a smile too but didn’t reply. Even with as much as she and Shalia talked, she’d not talked with Shalia about *this*, so the other girl didn’t know what Andreya was about to say.

Finally, steeling herself for the anger she was probably going to receive from them both, Andreya faced Kassia. She stood in her candidate uniform, still nice looking and not at all dirty because it was still morning, with her hair braided back tightly and the only accessory being the leather belt she had worn since becoming a candidate around her waist to help the fit of the sleeveless candidate uniform shirt. She stood tall and confident, even with what she was about to say, giving off a clear idea that this was not a spur of the moment decision, that it had been well thought out.

She began with a respectful dip of her head to Kassia, saying “Good morning, Lady Kassia. As I’ve mentioned before when we talked after the gold lecture, I do still intend to Stand with the twin golds on the Sands.”

Andreya paused here a moment before continuing on and saying confidently but with a tone of polite yet respectful apology in her voice. “I do, very much, appreciate Foreth agreeing to let us see the eggs early. It is an amazing opportunity, truly, and I am so grateful for the honor Foreth is offering us today. However, after consideration...I don’t feel comfortable accepting her offer. And it’s not because I don’t want to see every single one of her beautiful eggs, I would love to see them all! But because it feels a little unfair to be able to see the eggs before the rest of the gold-hopefuls, most of whom have been gold-hopeful candidates much longer than I have. You mention that us getting to see the eggs now, before everyone else, could influence the eggs and give us a better chance of Impressing one of the golds. And while I would be honored if one of Foreth’s golden daughters chose me, I would feel unworthy of the Impression if I thought it was because I’d had the opportunity to influence either of the twin gold’s impression before any of the other girls had the same opportunity, and Impressing with that idea hanging around that I wasn’t worthy could potentially lead to me struggling with that Impression. I want to be the best and most worthy lifemate possible, especially if it’s one of her golden daughters that choses me. I feel that in order to be the best lifemate to her, I am afraid I have to decline seeing the eggs before the other candidates.”

When she finished, she still stood just as straight and confident as she had before she’d started speaking while she waited to hear how the Weyrwoman and her Gold would react...

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 11:09 PM Kevin M <LrdSlvrhnd@...> wrote:
Shalia looked more than a little disappointed, but she simply nodded her acceptance and then turned towards the younger Candidates.  "Have fun then, girls!  But I expect descriptions, so look at the others for me, please?"

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020, 18:32 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kassia regarded her a long time. "If you don't want to Impress gold, then you'll have to wait until the rest of the Candidates get to see the eggs."

--
LrdSlvrhnd on the Wizzy thingie, and also on Discord

sailyn2

Kassia was quiet for a long time as she digested the words. Finally she nodded. "I understand your concerns," she said, her expression twisting to show that she wasn't necessarily happy with them. "If that's what you wish, you can walk away. Part of the reason I wanted you to see them now was that I wanted you to resume your duties with me when you have time. Since you'd rather wait, then I wouldn't want you to risk...influencing the choice, if it's possible. So you don't have to worry about seeing them with the other girls either. You can wait until the Sands are opened to all in a couple of weeks. Understand?"

Rosiegirl

When Kassia remained silent for a while, Andreya’s posture didn’t waver or wilt as she waited for Kassia’s response, watching her cousin consider what she’d said. Andreya had made a decision, stated her reasoning in an appropriately polite and respectful voice even as she’d declined the invitation, and intended to stand firm with that decision.

At Kassia’s nod, Andreya didn’t relax her posture or otherwise react, not even at seeing the unhappy expression that twisted her cousin’s face. She didn’t react as all the Weyrwoman’s words hit her…

Didn’t react to the disappointment of not being able to be Kassia’s assistant for a bit longer until she’d seen the eggs with the other gold-hopefuls, having already considered this and been prepared for it.

Didn’t react to the Weyrwoman twisting her own words about ‘influencing the eggs’ not being certain to be possible, when there had already been multiple statements made about seeing and touching eggs having an impact on impression (several even made by the Weyrwoman herself over the last few days, even at the beginning of this chat!).

Didn’t react to the much harsher disappointment of the *punishment* for declining the invitation now by having to wait not just until the other gold-hopeful girls got to see the eggs, but having to wait even *longer* until the eggs were able to be viewed by all the girls!

As Kassia finished, Andreya was standing just as poised and confident as she had before the Weyrwoman spoke, not giving any sign of the emotions her cousin’s words had caused. Nodding her head a bit, Andreya replied with “I understand, Ma’am, and I’ll wait until it’s all the girls seeing the eggs, not just the gold-hopefuls. I do apologize for not being able to return to assisting you sooner, I was looking forward to being able to return to those duties again even with as limited time as candidates would have, but if the position is still available once I have seen the eggs I would, of course, be glad to resume those duties. Until then, I hope Trifali is able to help you more, in my absence.”

Taking a breath, Andreya finished with a deeper, more respectful, nod to Kassia saying “Again, I do appreciate the opportunity, Ma’am. And, if you wouldn’t mind since I won’t be able to, would you please convey my most heartfelt congratulations to Foreth on her beautiful clutch and her 2 stunning golden daughters, as well as my deepest regret that I’m unable to see her eggs currently.”

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 12:49 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kassia was quiet for a long time as she digested the words. Finally she nodded. "I understand your concerns," she said, her expression twisting to show that she wasn't necessarily happy with them. "If that's what you wish, you can walk away. Part of the reason I wanted you to see them now was that I wanted you to resume your duties with me when you have time. Since you'd rather wait, then I wouldn't want you to risk...influencing the choice, if it's possible. So you don't have to worry about seeing them with the other girls either. You can wait until the Sands are opened to all in a couple of weeks. Understand?"

sailyn2

Kassia nodded. "I hold no grudge against you," she said. "Just to be clear. I can't guarantee how Foreth will feel, but I will relay your words. I hope to see you back for a short time before it's too late. I will miss you, but I hope you Impress."

Rosiegirl

Hearing that Kassia herself wasn't upset with her caused a *little* bit of the knots in her stomach to relax just the tiniest bit, but she held her posture even as she listened to the rest. When the Weyrwoman finished, Andreya dipped her head in understanding as she replied with "I understand, and thank you Ma'am for relaying my words to Foreth anyway. I look forward to returning to assist you."

With a small smile on her lips now, she finished with a less stiff-sounding "And I appreciate your kind words. I'd miss you too, if I impress."

With that, she gave Kassia one more respectful dip of her head and then moved to stand next to Shalia who hadn't left yet. As she walked over toward Shalia, she gave the older candidate a glance, the first time she'd looked at Shalia since she began speaking, just to see what the other girl's reaction was to Andreya's shocking decision, before turning to look at Kashara and Rassia and see if either of them would be joining Shalia and her on their walk back to the Barracks.