Topics

Cloud Dancers Wing Assistant Interviews (wL S'ryll, Calyse)

Calyse had been a candidate for four Turns by the time she transferred south, arriving at Arolos a few sevendays prior with high marks in her previous lessons. She was proud of the effort she had invested, rarely doing anything that she didn't devote herself to completely. Shards, she suspected she could *teach* Candidate lessons by this point - and who looked forward to *chores*? It was for this reason when she saw the posting in search of an assistant that she decided to act upon it. This seemed like a good opportunity to get a glimpse at the work behind the scenes, what might be expected of her if she ever climbed high enough in a Wing. That it would consume her Chore candlemarks didn't hurt.

When the time came, Calyse made her way to S'ryll's office with a small bundle of hides cradled in one arm. She'd made certain her gawdy uniform with its terrible colors was at least cleaned and neatly pressed, her straight hair as close to orderly in a neat bun that couldn't quite tame her humid frizz. Pausing to organize her hidework as much to collect her composure, Calyse rapped on the Wingleader's door.

"Sir? Candidate Calyse here for our appointment."

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, 2:38 PM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
OOC: Wingleader S'ryll is holding interviews for an assistant.  S'ryll is *allowing* Candidates to apply, but this is not an application for only Candidates; ANYONE that would have an IC ability to so do may apply.  He has coordinated with CM Nayari to make the 6 month determination, and any Candidate must have her approval before interviews.  A Candidate would have to prove that they could handle the time commitment.  For those newer Candidates still attending Candidate classes & harper lessons, vice those released to their Craft, this would take up the CHORE time block, and other obligations moved accordingly.  As to the time allotment, it won't be a full-time job, but it will require a probably a couple candlemarks a day.

For time purposes, this is fuzzied to about a month prior to the Clutching.

IC: S'ryll had posted notices up around the Weyr.  He was looking for an assistant to help out with the administrative tasks of the wing, some hide copying, ensuring that the files were neatly organized, update the calendar, and preferably, to have fresh klah in the mornings.  He was sure there would be other tasks, but these were what he could think of now.  He liked the idea of a potential hopeful Rider filling the role, as a kind of mentorship opportunity, so he'd gone and spoken with CM Nayari to make sure that he had her approval before allowing Candidates to interview.  That being said, at the end of the day, he cared most about getting things done, and if a young Candidate benefited as well, then all the better.  But he'd hold open interviews for anyone that wanted.  He remembered a grizzled old Rider back at HR, a man who'd been around for ages but had been injured Turns prior.  He and his dragon were far too old to do much, but the man had been full of so much knowledge and ideas.  They used to talk for candlemarks at dinners some sevendays.  He'd take someone like that in a heartbeat as well.

So he'd posted an interview sign-up sheet with time blocks, and today was the day.  He waited inside his office for the first one...

OOC: Just reply with your character's name in the Subject line

TrueTricia

S'ryll didn't miss the beautiful young blonde woman that walked in his door when he answered it.  She had an angular face, blonde hair pulled back, and beautiful eyes.  Yet her appearance, unlike Ysolde, was very much one of a young woman who didn't care about how attractive she was.  She wore her prettiness with an air of casual indifference, not unlike himself.  Until he opened his mouth and his arrogance came out anyways.  Despite his dalliance with Ysolde, he had no desire to make a habit of bedding Candidates, and he wondered how it would be to see this one daily.  Would he be able to resist the temptation?

"Good day to you, Candidate Calyse.  I'm wingleader S'ryll of Bronze Vastolth."  Vastolth was sleeping right now, disinterested in these boring interviews when none of the people were about to bathe him.  "Please have a seat," he said, indicating a chair in front of his desk, before sitting in his own.  "So, Calyse, why you're applying to be my assistant," he said, not wasting time with pleasantries when he had so many to get through.

When S'ryll opened the door, Calyse had to work to stop her jaw from hitting the floor. Tall and handsome, she hadn't known what to expect from the Wingleader, but his stunning appearance took her by surprise. She appreciated that he wanted to cut straight to the chase, far preferring business to small-chat she would no doubt stumble over. His skin had a golden cast, like honey - a small part of her wondered if he tasted of it, too. *Focus, Calyse!* She chastised herself, hastening to the chair he'd indicated.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Wingleader S'ryll of Vastolth," she replied, sitting primly on the edge of her seat. With her hands folded in her lap and back straight, ankles together on the floor, she looked very much like a perfect doll. This was a young woman who cared very much about how she might be perceived. And yet, she was a bit fidgety, small gestures like the wringing of her hands or the shifting of her feet, were dead giveaways of how anxious she felt.

Clearing her throat, Calyse answered with a voice that bordered on monotone. "I-I want to *be* something more than I am right now. I have a great deal of practical experience hands-on with dragons already, as I am weyrborn, a dragonhealer apprentice, and the daughter of two riders. What I don't have is a lot of clerical, or.. um, administrative know-how and I want to fill that gap." She paused like she was fighting the urge to second-guess herself before launching onto a small sales pitch. "A-And I'm a fast learner. I take excellent notes. I won't have any trouble carrying out tasks, and you can count on me to be punctual. "

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020, 6:53 AM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
[...]

His eyes never left her as she crossed the room to sit on the chair.  He noted her rigid structure, the way she was so self-contained, so perfect in so many ways, and then those small ways that gave her away.  She fidgeted. Interesting.  He wondered how uptight she really was, or if this was all an act.  No, he decided.  No one could fake being this uptight.  She was this way.  Beautiful and young and cold.

He listened as she spoke.  Weyrborn, a dragonhealer.... Vastolth perked up.  <<She knows how to give good baths then?>> S'ryll hadn't realized he'd been listening at all.  <<Tell her you'll take her on if she'll bathe me.>>  S'ryll mentally shook her head, trying to listen to the woman -- young woman -- he corrected himself.

"Which Weyr were you born in?" he asked when she finished.  "What do you want to do with administrative know-how?  Aspiring to be a goldrider?" he asked.

'Uh, not.. not quite," she admitted with some hesitancy. It was hard not to notice the way he stared, and though heat faintly colored her pale face, she took his intent gaze without flattery. The purpose of this meeting was for him to scrutinize her adequacy as an assistant, after all. Calyse swallowed, stalling briefly to weigh her answer before speaking.

"Every girl grows up o-on Harper tales wanting to become a goldrider, right? ...But when you grow up in a Weyr,  you see first hand how hard it is. I want to be prepared for whatever happens. If that means Impressing a gold, so be it, but if not, I can apply the skills I learn under you in.. in my craft."  Shells, that sounded worse aloud than in her head, but she lifted her chin rather than admit to the lewd thoughts that flashed through her mind. *Phrasing, Calyse!* Her eyes met the intensity of his own absent any hint of meekness.

"Oh, yes. Um, Benden is where I was born. I've been in Arolos for over a month now, but I don't like to waste time. Are you originally from here, Wingleader?" She asked, unable to fight her curiosity.