Topics

Hope and Fear (ATTN: Trifali/Kassia)

Jessica Freise

The heat was unrelenting. Even in the evening, the lowering sun beat on the Weyrbowl. Trifali crossed it at a slow trot, headed for the slightly cooler area around the lake. She smiled when she picked a familiar face out and picked up her pace, heart beating fast.

sailyn2

Kassia was out walking Brogan. She smiled when she spotted Trifali.

"Just the person I needed to see," she said as they came closer. "How are you doing, Fali?"

Jessica Freise

Trifali smiled at Kassia and the wher. "I'm alright, thank you, and you two?"

On Jul 31, 2020, at 4:56 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Kassia was out walking Brogan. She smiled when she spotted Trifali.

"Just the person I needed to see," she said as they came closer. "How are you doing, Fali?"

sailyn2

"Good, thank you," Kassia said. "I wanted to talk to you about the gold eggs and that lecture I gave. Did you have any questions? How do you feel about possibly Impressing now?"

Jessica Freise

Trifali gave her questions honest thought, taking a breath before she answered, "I came here to find family, and I have that in spades," she flashed Kassia a grin, eyes alight before she sobered.

"I didn't come here to Impress a gold. I'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't be a dream of mine, but your lecture put the breaks on 'My world is over if I don't Impress gold', which I think I had started to think. I just wish I could explain to myself why I started out that way. It isn't really like Impressing any other color, is it? I mean, you have to be able and willing to rise up to the occasion and the life-long meaning behind walking off the sands beside a gold."

Trifali was willing, able, and dedicated. SHe let Kassia see that all in her eyes, in her face. But she'd be more than stupid if she weren't a little trepidatious as well.

On Aug 1, 2020, at 5:29 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"Good, thank you," Kassia said. "I wanted to talk to you about the gold eggs and that lecture I gave. Did you have any questions? How do you feel about possibly Impressing now?"

sailyn2

"A lot of girls start out thinking that way," Kassia said. "They see a shiny dragon and someone who gets special treatment, but fail to understand why they get that special treatment and whatever other things they have to deal with. I don't look down on girls who feel that way, but I do on those who don't learn the realities or refuse to accept them. From the moment of Impression, a goldrider has more responsibility than they ever dreamed of. I want all the girls to try to understand this, but not get scared off so they have problems if they do Impress."

Jessica Freise

"It isn't failing to not Impress a Queen," Fali said slowly, thoughtfully, chewing her bottom lip in a nervous manner she thought she'd long abandoned, "to Impress a dragon at all is special. And, honestly, I've also had to come to terms with the fact that I might not Impress at *all*. At this hatching, I mean."

She looked t Kassia for a long momen, her face a study of emotions. "And saying all that, I'm aware that I will still hold out hope until the hatching is over and I'm left standing. Hope and fear seem to go hand in hand, don't they?

On Aug 4, 2020, at 11:18 AM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"A lot of girls start out thinking that way," Kassia said. "They see a shiny dragon and someone who gets special treatment, but fail to understand why they get that special treatment and whatever other things they have to deal with. I don't look down on girls who feel that way, but I do on those who don't learn the realities or refuse to accept them. From the moment of Impression, a goldrider has more responsibility than they ever dreamed of. I want all the girls to try to understand this, but not get scared off so they have problems if they do Impress."

sailyn2

Kassia nodded. It was a good answer. "You have a good way of thinking. I'll miss you if you Impress, but I hope you do Impress."

Jessica Freise

"If not, there are other hatchings."

To spite herself, there was a note of wistfulness in her tone. Slightly shame-face, she looked away from the Weyrwoman as she added, "At least, that's what I tell myself."